• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

I think I have everything now

C_uoxaKXoAAU5_N.jpg

I only one core set, though

Welp, just ordered Lord of the Rings Core Set LCG...

I really am itching to play a customizable card game, and use to play a ton of the old Decipher LotR TCG, so this seems to make sense.

If I like what I get into I can see me throwing alot of money into this without regret.

Also, was eyeing Arkham Horror, and even though everyone seems to love it, the thematic setting just turns me off too much for some reason, regardless of how good it plays. It's almost the same reason why I can't play almost all Souls type of video games (horror themes just are polar opposite of everything I enjoy, but I've tried many times).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
is it really that hard to play through all the campaigns with only one core?

Man if you are that invested in having all the packs I would absolutely recommend you get a second core unless it's going to break the bank or something. Just opens up your deckbuilding options so much.

Also, was eyeing Arkham Horror, and even though everyone seems to love it, the thematic setting just turns me off too much for some reason, regardless of how good it plays. It's almost the same reason why I can't play almost all Souls type of video games (horror themes just are polar opposite of everything I enjoy, but I've tried many times).
I think I know what you're getting at, but I'd describe Arkham as way less grim than Souls. Souls world is just a bunch of nasty stuff everywhere, but Arkham universe actually has lots of color and even hilarious stuff. It's actually a really colorful 20s style though yeah sometimes you get the random creepy/gross card I suppose.

I think I know what you're getting at, but I'd describe Arkham as way less grim than Souls. Souls world is just a bunch of nasty stuff everywhere, but Arkham universe actually has lots of color and even hilarious stuff. It's actually a really colorful 20s style though yeah sometimes you get the random creepy/gross card I suppose.

Yeah, I totally pick up on those vibes from the game, but it just dosnt jell with me on an entirely subjective level. I'm ok with creepy in a card game, but, yeah, I honestly don't know.

lol maybe there's just something wrong with me even though I know it's all just my personal opinion.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah, I totally pick up on those vibes from the game, but it just dosnt jell with me on an entirely subjective level. I'm ok with creepy in a card game, but, yeah, I honestly don't know.

lol maybe there's just something wrong with me even though I know it's all just my personal opinion.
Don't feel bad!

I hope this isn't a rude example to make, but AstroLad seemed convinced that they and/or their wife wouldn't be able to stomach Gloomhaven largely because of the cardboard monster standee art, even though those standees are tiny and you don't spend much ingame time looking at the art.

In contrast, I don't consider my girlfriend nerdy, yet she enjoys Gloomhaven despite the fantasy elements. She did watch Game of Thrones so maybe that affected her tastes.

However, she pretty much hates cyberpunk. I love cyberpunk, but something like Netrunner would probably be a complete non-starter.

Then you have me, and I tend to avoid anything heavily themed around zombies, Walking Dead, or the like. I can tolerate something light like Zombie Dice but otherwise I run away.

So in the end, we all have our quirks and it's okay to make decisions based on game theme. :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Don't feel bad!

I hope this isn't a rude example to make, but AstroLad seemed convinced that they and/or their wife wouldn't be able to stomach Gloomhaven largely because of the cardboard monster standee art, even though those standees are tiny and you don't spend much ingame time looking at the art.

In contrast, I don't consider my girlfriend nerdy, yet she enjoys Gloomhaven despite the fantasy elements. She did watch Game of Thrones so maybe that affected her tastes.

However, she pretty much hates cyberpunk. I love cyberpunk, but something like Netrunner would probably be a complete non-starter.

Then you have me, and I tend to avoid anything heavily themed around zombies, Walking Dead, or the like. I can tolerate something light like Zombie Dice but otherwise I run away.

So in the end, we all have our quirks and it's okay to make decisions based on game theme. :p
Hey that wasn't me! I like the DoW standees. :D I just thought the whole vibe of the game was too much generic aggro fantasy for my tastes. Just very done with that setting rn though you could certainly reasonably say the same about Lovecraft and other overused themes so it all just comes down to taste. More than enough games to devote limited time to nowadays so I think it's fair enough for people to be picky.

Blizzard

Banned
Hey that wasn't me! I like the DoW standees. :D I just thought the whole vibe of the game was too much generic aggro fantasy for my tastes. Just very done with that setting rn though you could certainly reasonably say the same about Lovecraft and other overused themes so it all just comes down to taste. More than enough games to devote limited time to nowadays so I think it's fair enough for people to be picky.
I can agree with there being enough games. She watched Walking Dead, I like cyberpunk, but we compromise and find the things we can both enjoy because there are still tons of games around.

zulux21

Bought Aeon's End, pretty hyped since I read everywhere that's the best deck-building vs boss game ever

it's weird reading statements like Aeon's end is the best deck-building vs boss game ever.

at the same time though it is a very solid deck-building vs boss game that offers some unique mechanics compared to the other ones, and while I don't think it is the best, I imagine someone who prefers Dominion over Ascension will prefer aeon's end quite a bit over something like legendary.

I need to play some more xenoshyft and aeon's end to really decide what is the best to me.

it's weird reading statements like Aeon's end is the best deck-building vs boss game ever.

at the same time though it is a very solid deck-building vs boss game that offers some unique mechanics compared to the other ones, and while I don't think it is the best, I imagine someone who prefers Dominion over Ascension will prefer aeon's end quite a bit over something like legendary.

I need to play some more xenoshyft and aeon's end to really decide what is the best to me.

I doubt anything will ever top Marvel legendary for me in that category.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

Have you played any of the Legendary Encounters series? Much more tightly scoped and add some complexity, but man is Aliens absolutely amazing. Basically the Final Form of the Legendary formula. I really wish they'd do an Encounters for superheroes since they're kind of hitting a wall now with comics with thousands of cards printed.

Lyng

Have you played any of the Legendary Encounters series? Much more tightly scoped and add some complexity, but man is Aliens absolutely amazing. Basically the Final Form of the Legendary formula. I really wish they'd do an Encounters for superheroes since they're kind of hitting a wall now with comics with thousands of cards printed.

Oh boy! That would be a instant purchase for me!

Yeah but I'm a ridiculous Marvel fanboy...and I don't particularly like the Alien or Predator movies.

I'm no expert, just quoted what I've heard xD Legendary is on my radar too, but I've found Aeon's for 42€ when everywhere else is like 54€ or more and was in my purchase list.
Maybe it's not the best deck-builder vs boss (do you mean that legendary is better?) but the consensous seems to be that's a pretty good game (I didn't have time to try it yet)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah but I'm a ridiculous Marvel fanboy...and I don't particularly like the Alien or Predator movies.

Yeah I'm actually not a fan of Aliens/Predator either but the mechanics in the game are really brilliant. Think it's the best deckbuilder I've ever played by some distance and I've played probably 20+. But yeah if you have an aversion to the IPs they're definitely heavily in those games.

zulux21

yeah legendary would likely be top dog for me as well.
I'm no expert, just quoted what I've heard xD Legendary is on my radar too, but I've found Aeon's for 42€ when everywhere else is like 54€ or more and was in my purchase list.
Maybe it's not the best deck-builder vs boss (do you mean that legendary is better?) but the consensous seems to be that's a pretty good game (I didn't have time to try it yet)
oh I am not saying it's not a good game, I mean I backed the recent sequel kickstarter because I enjoy it. just never heard it at the top of someones list before.

for a single experience I feel legendary aliens is better, thus playing through the story is better. once you want to do a ton of replays though marvel is way better just due to more flexibility.

that being said legendary firefly is terrible so avoid that (don't know about big trouble in little china)

Firefly is strong on theme, but it translate to a garbage tier legendary experience as by the skin of your teeth hard is not a good setting for a game where decks are random. The first encounter is so unblanced that if the first miniboss of the game is towards the front of the deck instead of back you need to just stop and reset because it deals damage so fast you can't heal it even if you focus on it, and it's so powerful it's impossible that you built up your deck enough to deal with it.

you run into that a number of times with firefly that if the bosses aren't near the back of the deck you kind of just lose :/

Ryuukan

Aeons End looks interesting

might be fun while I wait for the hero realms co-op set

this thread is expensive to read

Edit: apparently it's getting a revised printing in august? I can wait

I hopped on board the Destiny train and was signed up for our huge work league. Any deckbuilding tips for someone who has a ton of SoR but very little Awakenings? Who are my most viable characters in a pool like that?

zulux21

Aeon's End: War Eternal is the stand alone sequel, but yeah I think the first version is also getting reprinted with new art as backers of both got a free upgrade kit.

Gurrry

I hopped on board the Destiny train and was signed up for our huge work league. Any deckbuilding tips for someone who has a ton of SoR but very little Awakenings? Who are my most viable characters in a pool like that?

Fn/Ig88 is decent. Emo Vader/Fn2199 is also good.

If you have any of the starter packs, Emo Vader/Kylo Ren can also do work.

Fn/Ig88 is decent. Emo Vader/Fn2199 is also good.

If you have any of the starter packs, Emo Vader/Kylo Ren can also do work.

Nines has been wrecking me up and down when I play during lunch, but I think I'm missing some key weapons to really make him work. Emo Vader/ Ren seems interesting, I'll have to see what I can do with mono-blue. Thanks for the tip!

zulux21

For who already played Aeon's End, is the players hand secret? Or you can show it to the group?

I don't recall anything saying to keep the hands secret.
I really couldn't see a point to doing such things given disarming delayed boss attacks typically takes coordination between the players.

Keasar

Aeon's End: War Eternal is the stand alone sequel, but yeah I think the first version is also getting reprinted with new art as backers of both got a free upgrade kit.

Yes, they are releasing a upgrade pack for owners of the first game since a common criticism was the component quality in Aeon's End was a bit shoody (very flimsy cards for example), so they are improving that while also renewing the art quality to their new standard coming with War Eternal.

Think I am going to back One Deck Dungeon: Forest of Shadows. Will be my first Kickstarter experience. The wait until ~September will be long though I know that is nothing compared to what some have to wait.

KiKaL

I just started reading up on Clank! and really interested in it. I see that it's sold out in a lot of places. Is this a game I need to worry about finding in the future? I see miniature market currently has it but I am also fine with holding off if I know it will be around in the future.

I just started reading up on Clank! and really interested in it. I see that it's sold out in a lot of places. Is this a game I need to worry about finding in the future? I see miniature market currently has it but I am also fine with holding off if I know it will be around in the future.

It's not going OOP anytime soon if that's what you are worried about. The game is a hit and keeps selling out, just gotta wait for next shipment.

KiKaL

Awesome, that is was I was guessing...although now I will actually be good and wait hah instead of impulse buying. I have enough games that need to be played before adding another.

sneaky77

Is a really fun game, I took my copy to my group and one of the guys bought it that same night, I haven't tried the expansion yet though

EYEL1NER

I've got my eye on Clank! as well. It was at highly-inflated OOS prices for a while, then the $60 MSRP, and is currently available for $42 from MM. I can't believe MSRP on it is $60 though. If $42 is going to be the 'normal' OLGS price, I'll be waiting for a sale.

Ryuukan

I still need to open Clank and try it

I took everyone's advice and managed to track down 1 store about 40 mins out of the way that had 1 arkham horror lcg base game left and grabbed it

also bought a bunch of star realms crap too

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yo for real - Descent 2e with Road to Legend is slowly becoming my favorite gaming experience ever. Despite a bit of confusion every once in a while, it's just a ton of fun to play. With my collection being massive, it feels even more exciting every time I start a new quest.

That's all. :)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yo for real - Descent 2e with Road to Legend is slowly becoming my favorite gaming experience ever. Despite a bit of confusion every once in a while, it's just a ton of fun to play. With my collection being massive, it feels even more exciting every time I start a new quest.

Gah, sounds awesome. So are you playing exclusively with app doing coop? Is there lots of content?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Gah, sounds awesome. So are you playing exclusively with app doing coop? Is there lots of content?

I'm playing 100% solo. Doing the first adventure now. Delve adds a randomized "kill objective" type gauntlet that I intend to try at some point. I think the part that's neat is that, while the main quests in the campaigns are the same (or similar) each run, the side quests are what change. Delve gets more involved through each expansion (adding a few new stages with each expansion), too. They're still updating it, so I suspect we will see more and more as time goes on.

I really really hope they add some really big content in the future - maybe even an app only physical expansion or something? I'll pay for more quests and such because it's got so much potential.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm playing 100% solo. Doing the first adventure now. Delve adds a randomized "kill objective" type gauntlet that I intend to try at some point. I think the part that's neat is that, while the main quests in the campaigns are the same (or similar) each run, the side quests are what change. Delve gets more involved through each expansion (adding a few new stages with each expansion), too. They're still updating it, so I suspect we will see more and more as time goes on.

I really really hope they add some really big content in the future - maybe even an app only physical expansion or something? I'll pay for more quests and such because it's got so much potential.

Sounds really sweet. I'll likely Pm you sometime to see what I should buy first.

Edit: ordered the base game, lol. Amazon had one copy left for $35 less than my local store.

I ordered sellswords and noir black edition from level 99 games. Was looking at videos of other level 99 games and both jumped out at me for being quicker then the usual l99 faire but with the depth/variety that sucks me into their games. Sellswords essentially being ff8 triple triad on steroids had me mashing that order button.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Sounds really sweet. I'll likely Pm you sometime to see what I should buy first.

Edit: ordered the base game, lol. Amazon had one copy left for $35 less than my local store.

Hopefully you like it. I don't enjoy the 1 vs many, so I have no idea how it plays out of the box with the overlord. But I've played with the solo variant RAMV and now with the Road to Legend app. Both are awesome (but two very different experiences).

If you end up liking the game and want some opinions on what to pick up, hit me up. There's some good lists out there that help for determining expansions based off of style of monster you want to face. There's also lieutenants which add unique "boss type" minions to face (via a figure instead of a token already included in various expansions). It can get expensive real quick, but I legit sold all my Shadows of Brimstone stuff to fund my new Descent habit since SoB wasn't getting played.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully you like it. I don't enjoy the 1 vs many, so I have no idea how it plays out of the box with the overlord. But I've played with the solo variant RAMV and now with the Road to Legend app. Both are awesome (but two very different experiences).

If you end up liking the game and want some opinions on what to pick up, hit me up. There's some good lists out there that help for determining expansions based off of style of monster you want to face. There's also lieutenants which add unique "boss type" minions to face (via a figure instead of a token already included in various expansions). It can get expensive real quick, but I legit sold all my Shadows of Brimstone stuff to fund my new Descent habit since SoB wasn't getting played.

Awesome, thanks!

but I legit sold all my Shadows of Brimstone stuff to fund my new Descent habit since SoB wasn't getting played.

D:

As much as I love Shadows of Brimstone, I do have to admit for solo play the Descent Road to Legend ap is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Shadows of Brimstone standard play. I MUCH prefer the level/skill system of Shadows of Brimstone for campaign play though.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
D:

As much as I love Shadows of Brimstone, I do have to admit for solo play the Descent Road to Legend ap is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Shadows of Brimstone standard play. I MUCH prefer the level/skill system of Shadows of Brimstone for campaign play though.

I found myself not giving a damn about my characters in SoB. Once you leveled up a bit, you were nigh unstoppable. More importantly, the lack of an out-of-box campaign made nothing feel important. At least with RtL, I feel like I'm playing my character to it's full purpose.

I think SoB is an amazing game, but it desperately needs a campaign book (published by FFP).

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Read a bunch of articles and check out the app on steam. Looks like it will be a blast. Can't wait for it to arrive. Hopefully I can get my friends into it. Probably could get my wife to play as well. And if not there is always solo.

Think I'll paint the minis as well.

I found myself not giving a damn about my characters in SoB. Once you leveled up a bit, you were nigh unstoppable. More importantly, the lack of an out-of-box campaign made nothing feel important. At least with RtL, I feel like I'm playing my character to it's full purpose.

I think SoB is an amazing game, but it desperately needs a campaign book (published by FFP).
That's true enough. Though some of the later monster expansions seem to scale better. Have you tried the Hex Crawl thing? I haven't, and it's not by FFP, but I was curious about it.

Road to Legend is undeniably awesome. I have only really tried the first two campaigns (the tutorial and Kindred Fire), and even then my friend only owns the base game. Definitely want to try Delve or the latest and apparently more rpg ish campaign.

for a single experience I feel legendary aliens is better, thus playing through the story is better. once you want to do a ton of replays though marvel is way better just due to more flexibility.

that being said legendary firefly is terrible so avoid that (don't know about big trouble in little china)

Seeing all the high praise about legendary aliens on this page makes me both happy and sad. happy knowing that i have a great game sitting on my shelf, and sad because i haven't made the time to play it yet. I love the movie Alien universe and really need to fit this game into my schedule.

Seeing that you think the firefly version is terrible makes me glad i found it in a dent n ding sale, thus I didn't pay full price for it.

I'm looking forward to the X-men expansion mainly because I really enjoy the characters in the set, especially since they look like their 1990's Animated Series versions. I feel the only appropriate thing to do is have the X-Men TAS theme song playing on loop whenever I set the game up to play.

Predator Legendary is about as good as Alien, its same game essentially cause they were made to be compatible. Alien has 4 scenarios for each movie, while Predator has only 2 though, but instead they included alternate scenario modes where players play as Predators in a non coop mode, trying to get the most kills on a hunt essentially

Does it have support for the 1st edition monsters/heroes? I had every 1st ed model and kept them using the 2E upgrade pack, haven't bought much 2E expansions

Top Bottom