• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

zulux21

People in here care about Myth by MegaCon Games?

That IP is potentially being bought. Curious if a big company saw it and wanted it or if they were trying to option it out. They said they are still going to finish the orders.

My friend has myth and we have tried a few times.
it's a game that looks like it should be fun, but when you go to play it, it just isn't... and I haven't a clue how to fix it without redesigning the whole game.

though if I recall right there were new rules that came out like last year so maybe those fix something, but I haven't gotten around to play it again.

Experien

My friend has myth and we have tried a few times.
it's a game that looks like it should be fun, but when you go to play it, it just isn't... and I haven't a clue how to fix it without redesigning the whole game.

though if I recall right there were new rules that came out like last year so maybe those fix something, but I haven't gotten around to play it again.

Yeah, they came out with 2.0 rules but honestly, I don't notice the difference between the rules. They seem the same. They did try to define the different ways to play: freerun, something else, and campaigns. My only issues was traversing from tile to tile, if I set it up like a miniatures board, or just move from one tile to another.

Gameplay was great for the skirmish/fighting that it did. Been meaning to bust it out and maybe just use it as a more fighting focused RPG with their storylines. Or maybe use it just for fighting.

MegaCon's 2nd kickstarter game Mercs Recon was also a mess rule wise. Component quality was also awful, they had to offer lot of replacement parts for the the minis and board tiles.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
After playing lots and lots of games, Myth was the first one I had to sit down and spend like a week really figuring out. Everything in the base game, and I mean everything, was very undefined for a lack of a better word. I constantly, constantly had questions or my friends had questions that I just did not know the answer to. We all were kind of frustrated but I liked the idea of the game.

So I got all of the 2.0 stuff, read lots and lots of faqs and played multiple practice runs solo with different characters and enemies. It wasn't until I did all of that that I think I was actually ready to sit down and teach someone else how to play that game. The 2nd actual gathering we had to play it went much better and everyone ended up loving it. We kind of approached it wrong as well, trying to play it like a dungeon crawler campaign when it is more of a tactics combat game.

Managing everyones actions and weighing them against when we activate the enemies and trying to tank and deal damage and manage threat etc is very tough, and makes for lots of interestong decisions throughout. We havent even fought a boss yet but the quest we did where a mini-boss popped up was amazingly difficult. I hope someone picks it up and can at least finish the journeyman stuff as that would be a lot more content than almost any crawler on the market.

XShagrath

Arkham LCG guys, what are your thoughts on the core game campaign vs the Dunwich one?

I think the core campaign is a great introduction to the system. The Gathering is a pretty good tutorial-style scenario. Midnight Masks is great and starts to show off how flexible the game can be. The Devourer Below is a good culmination to the story, but I found it not as interesting mechanically as Masks.

Dunwich opens it up quite a bit. Each scenario is bringing something unique to the table and there's a lot more branching paths that can be taken. I have like 15-20 things written down in my campaign notes so far. Having that much variability in the campaign means I won't have any issues going back and replaying it several more times without getting tired of it.

The card pool at this point is getting pretty good. I had not gotten a positive resolution out of Night of the Zealot yet, so I decided to try my hand at two-fisting the campaign last weekend. I used Zoey and Rex, and we absolutely destroyed everything we came up against. Granted, I was still playing on Easy, but I'll probably be bumping up to Standard for my next runthrough.

EYEL1NER

7 Wonders Duel showed up today. Now to go digging around for a good but short video that I can have my wife watch. I flipped through the rules and can already picture her tuning out as I get a third of the way through them. It's not a complex game but definitely a step up from Jaipur and Sushi Go.
EDIT: Ah, nice. The Rules Girl did a 4 minute video for it. I watched one of her vids for another game and thought she did a good job being brief while still making sure all of the important info go through. I'll give it a watch.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Arkham LCG guys, what are your thoughts on the core game campaign vs the Dunwich one?
Not sure what the context of the question is, but I think it's worth it to play through base campaign to get a feel for the game and what it demands of you before going into Dunwich (and don't worry too much about succeeding, the second and third missions are tough). Even with the difficulty level, it's still mostly a tutorial gameplay-complexity wise. Dunwich just blows the doors wide open on everything -- pushes you to exercise the things you learned in base while at the same time in many cases subverting your expectations for each scenario. Just a delightful experience and one I'll probably play through 3-4 times before it's all said and done.

my copy of Tiny Epic Galaxies: Beyond the Black expansion finally arrived. The base game is really enjoyable, one of my top 10. I'm looking forward to figuring out BtB.

Blizzard

Banned
my copy of Tiny Epic Galaxies: Beyond the Black expansion finally arrived. The base game is really enjoyable, one of my top 10. I'm looking forward to figuring out BtB.
I haven't heard anything about fulfillment but hopefully mine gets here soon as well. I think I backed the RPG one too.

Recieved the medici card game today. Have not played it yet but the production is super high quality. Very impressed with the ks from Grail Games.

Is there something like Eldritch Horror / Warhammer card game that doesn't have a campaign? I mean, a card game where you throw dice to solve encounters, equipment cards, event cards, and maybe player stats? The warhammer card game seems nice, but I don't really like the fact that has a main campaign, I feel like it lose replay value. I'd like something more loose, like random quests composed by a combination of cards, a rpg-lite with high replay value

Cerity

I've been playing Roll for the Galaxy a bit lately, at first it seemed like rushing developments/settlements was the surefire strategy but now that we've played a heap the production/ship strategies are competing just as well.

I should be recieving Coup & Viticulture today, can't wait to get around to viticulture.

Is there something like Eldritch Horror / Warhammer card game that doesn't have a campaign? I mean, a card game where you throw dice to solve encounters, equipment cards, event cards, and maybe player stats? The warhammer card game seems nice, but I don't really like the fact that has a main campaign, I feel like it lose replay value. I'd like something more loose, like random quests composed by a combination of cards, a rpg-lite with high replay value

Probably not an rpg-lite but Talisman? The digital version makes a lot of the stat/dice management a hell of a lot easier but we still went out bought a physical copy. The tactility of actually managing pieces, picking up cards and rolling dice can't be beat.

GW are meant to be reworking it this year too.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Take a look at Space Hulk: Death Angel.

EYEL1NER

Just some all-around lame news in this thread on BGG: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1784718/devil-pig-game-might-have-gw-license-now

FFG lost the GW license, only for it to go to Devil Pig Games? The only thing I know from them is Heroes of Normandie. I really wanted Heroes of Normandie when it first came out but the amount of errors and errata made me stay away. I am pretty sure recent printings of the game fixed a lot of problems but at this point I'll only pick it up if I find someone selling their collection on the cheap. It was nice going through FFG when I needed a replacement part or something too; going through Devil Pig in France is going to make things more frustrating, especially with their history regarding the Normandie errata.

Additionally in that thread was mention of Warhammer Quest and how the property belongs to GW but the rights to the game belong with FFG. A designer who used to be with FFG appeared and said that he and his brother actually have those game rights and that the Warhammer Quest: ACG will live on as... Epic Awful Fantasy, which will be released through Kickstarter under Awful Fantasy Games. I mean, when I started reading that guy's post, I didn't get my hopes up that WQ:ACG was going to see more content in any way, but I thought we might get something with a comparable setting. Instead it will live on as a comedy game filled with jokes, spoofs, and satire.

Keasar

Just some all-around lame news in this thread on BGG: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1784718/devil-pig-game-might-have-gw-license-now

FFG lost the GW license, only for it to go to Devil Pig Games? The only thing I know from them is Heroes of Normandie.
:(
Additionally in that thread was mention of Warhammer Quest and how the property belongs to GW but the rights to the game belong with FFG. A designer who used to be with FFG appeared and said that he and his brother actually have those game rights and that the Warhammer Quest: ACG will live on as...
:D!
Epic Awful Fantasy, which will be released through Kickstarter under Awful Fantasy Games. I mean, when I started reading that guy's post, I didn't get my hopes up that WQ:ACG was going to see more content in any way, but I thought we might get something with a comparable setting. Instead it will live on as a comedy game filled with jokes, spoofs, and satire.
:(((

That post really gave me some wild mood swings.

Kitbash

Branding it "Epic AF" (cover art) seems like a huge misstep to me, but they seem determined to stick with it. From the other related BGG thread:

As a fan of puns and wordplay, I find our title bad in a funny way, but nowhere near "terrible." Regardless, the name of our game is not changing. "Epic Awful Fantasy" is the name of the game, but the "Epic AF" branding was chosen for both its humorous nature and uniqueness. With thousands of games coming out each year, "Epic AF" has a much better chance of sticking out than something with "epic" and "fantasy" in the branded title.

People were begging for more Warhammer Quest: ACG...this is such a bad way to follow that up.

Blizzard

Banned
To me, it instantly brings to mind the Tiny Epic Kingdoms / Tiny Epic Quest games with the 3-word title that has "Epic" in the middle. I'd be annoyed about the branding if I developed those games.

Keasar

Why don't GW just divide up the license like they have with their video games? Just shotgun blast the entire industry and see what pops up. Sure, a lot of crap like many of the recent Warhammer videogames will come out, but at least the nuggets of gold will be able to shine when they do.

Still goddamn disappointed that they killed FFG's license before they could develop a Forbidden Star expansion or more stuff for Warhammer Quest. No idea what Devil Pig Games does otherwise, like mentioned, only know them from Heroes of Normandy and I've tried the digital version and it's...fine? But I liked so many of the FFG games like Space Hulk: Death Angel, Forbidden Star, Warhammer Quest: ACG, have heard great things about Chaos in the Old World, the tabletop RPGs, FFG really took the license and made good stuff with it.

Blizzard

Banned
After playing again, I would definitely recommend Oh My Goods for anyone who likes Splendor but wants something with more complexity and strategy. The box is also MUCH smaller than Splendor.

JSR_Cube

Branding it "Epic AF" (cover art) seems like a huge misstep to me, but they seem determined to stick with it. From the other related BGG thread:

People were begging for more Warhammer Quest: ACG...this is such a bad way to follow that up.

Ugh. I really hate this direction. I doubt there is anything in their upcoming kickstarter that will make me change my mind. The creators seem to revel in the controversial name too and that makes me want to support it even less.

Why don't GW just divide up the license like they have with their video games? Just shotgun blast the entire industry and see what pops up. Sure, a lot of crap like many of the recent Warhammer videogames will come out, but at least the nuggets of gold will be able to shine when they do.

Still goddamn disappointed that they killed FFG's license before they could develop a Forbidden Star expansion or more stuff for Warhammer Quest. No idea what Devil Pig Games does otherwise, like mentioned, only know them from Heroes of Normandy and I've tried the digital version and it's...fine? But I liked so many of the FFG games like Space Hulk: Death Angel, Forbidden Star, Warhammer Quest: ACG, have heard great things about Chaos in the Old World, the tabletop RPGs, FFG really took the license and made good stuff with it.

Lot of licensers would not like that, they want exclusive rights to a license especially if its one that costs a good chunk of money. Last thing they want is another publisher to put out a competing product in the same category or style, theres only so many board games they can get away. Also unlike long ago, GW probably had a hard time finding one publisher to buy the full rights exclusively, so they began to sell the GW license bit by bit to anyone who wanted to make a video game instead. If GW can secure an expensive exlusive agreement, they would rather do that most likely.

And it was confirmed that FFG lost the license by someone, or did FFG simply not agree to renew their license?

Maybe because of the GW stores? They probably don't want to mess with that.

FFG lost the GW license, only for it to go to Devil Pig Games? The only thing I know from them is Heroes of Normandie. I really wanted Heroes of Normandie when it first came out but the amount of errors and errata made me stay away. I am pretty sure recent printings of the game fixed a lot of problems but at this point I'll only pick it up if I find someone selling their collection on the cheap. It was nice going through FFG when I needed a replacement part or something too; going through Devil Pig in France is going to make things more frustrating, especially with their history regarding the Normandie errata.

Additionally in that thread was mention of Warhammer Quest and how the property belongs to GW but the rights to the game belong with FFG. A designer who used to be with FFG appeared and said that he and his brother actually have those game rights and that the Warhammer Quest: ACG will live on as... Epic Awful Fantasy, which will be released through Kickstarter under Awful Fantasy Games. I mean, when I started reading that guy's post, I didn't get my hopes up that WQ:ACG was going to see more content in any way, but I thought we might get something with a comparable setting. Instead it will live on as a comedy game filled with jokes, spoofs, and satire.
God fucking damn it.

EYEL1NER

And it was confirmed that FFG lost the license by someone, or did FFG simply not agree to renew their license?
Oops, I should have chosen my words better. I was speaking more in general terms of them losing the license as in just no longer having it available to them. Whether it was GW wanting it back or FFG no renewing it; I don't know if that question has been answered by anyone yet. It would be nice to know the answer but I can't imagine anyone from either company is going to say so this soon.

Karkador

Banned
Between the "Tiny Epic" series, "Epic Spell Wars", "Epic", "Epic PVP", I'm really not seeing how "EPIC AF" is supposed to stand out from the crowd. Maybe the problem is that there are too many dungeon crawler and crawler-themed games? At the very least, they could have avoided the very worn-out "Epic" keyword. The game being styled as a parody of other nerd cliches isn't really helping, either.

I've recommended Warhammer ACG before (I don't really anymore, since it's dead), but I feel like a good game design is gonna get buried here. I can't imagine the more 'casual' appeal of what they're going for is gonna mesh well with the hardcore difficulty of the original game.

sneaky77

Between the "Tiny Epic" series, "Epic Spell Wars", "Epic", "Epic PVP", I'm really not seeing how "EPIC AF" is supposed to stand out from the crowd. Maybe the problem is that there are too many dungeon crawler and crawler-themed games? At the very least, they could have avoided the very worn-out "Epic" keyword. The game being styled as a parody of other nerd cliches isn't really helping, either.
Clearly because the AF makes it funny.. get it!! Is right there, so witty.. looking at the guys' response on that bgg thread they're way too into their own cleverness..

I've recommended Warhammer ACG before (I don't really anymore, since it's dead), but I feel like a good game design is gonna get buried here. I can't imagine the more 'casual' appeal of what they're going for is gonna mesh well with the hardcore difficulty of the original game.

But it's EPIC... and AF! LULZ. Combine two overused funny things and it prints money!

I do like how in that thread people are being negative about the funny direction of the game and the creators are just like "whatever"

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Arkham LCG Undimensioned (and Base) Scenario Spoilers:
After pretty much stomping Blood on the Altar, almost the reverse happened with Undimensioned. Was a total slog to get anything going, and the randomness of the monster moves really messed us up. Also the scenario totally punished our min-maxing against Agility checks which to be fair the game taught you in almost every scenario prior to see as nearly useless outside of janky combo decks where you give up VPs but do get to Dizzy a bunch of monsters sometimes. We were able to kill two of the dudes, but I think even in an absolutely ideal situation we could only kill three. I'm sure that will come back to bite us just like letting cultists escape in base scenario 2 does. /shrug I think the scenario is probably much better on a replay when you know sort of what to expect, but we come into every scenario completely cold (even trying to forget past encounter decks and what they have in them) and it was rough -- probably my least-favorite playthrough so far but I still do appreciate the dramatic shifts in mechanics and the like so still gets a thumbs up.

Clearly because the AF makes it funny.. get it!! Is right there, so witty.. looking at the guys' response on that bgg thread they're way too into their own cleverness..
But it's EPIC... and AF! LULZ. Combine two overused funny things and it prints money!

I do like how in that thread people are being negative about the funny direction of the game and the creators are just like "whatever"
Starting to think they are probably better working in the confines of a big publisher rather than independent.

A damn waste.

After pretty much stomping Blood on the Altar, almost the reverse happened with Undimensioned. Was a total slog to get anything going, and the randomness of the monster moves really messed us up. Also the scenario totally punished our min-maxing against Agility checks which to be fair the game taught you in almost every scenario prior to see as nearly useless outside of janky combo decks where you give up VPs but do get to Dizzy a bunch of monsters sometimes. We were able to kill two of the dudes, but I think even in an absolutely ideal situation we could only kill three. I'm sure that will come back to bite us just like letting cultists escape in base scenario 2 does. /shrug I think the scenario is probably much better on a replay when you know sort of what to expect, but we come into every scenario completely cold (even trying to forget past encounter decks and what they have in them) and it was rough -- probably my least-favorite playthrough so far but I still do appreciate the dramatic shifts in mechanics and the like so still gets a thumbs up.

We only killed 2 as well. Frustratingly there was one Brood on one health that we chased around for an age but we just couldn't kill it. Looking back I wish I just ran at the monster and killed it rather then retreat. I would have died in the process and got a physical trauma but I'm Zoey so I could have easily ridden out the rest of the campaign with it. I actually quite enjoyed the scenario due to the tough choices it presents but my friend (who was Rex) really didn't like it at all and it was his least favourite too.
Mine is still probably the Museum which I just found a little dull and uneventful.

In a weird way I admire their confidence and I do wish them the best with their KS, but yeah Epic AF couldn't be further from my interests which is a shame cos I rather liked the WHQuest system. The mad thing is if you look at the previous KS mades by Awful Fantasy I wouldn't be surprised if calling that game 'Epic as Fuck' ends up being one of the better jokes in that game.

Ryuukan

Just ordered Karuba for the kids, hope they like it

Also saw FFG is shipping a new print of Dungeonquest, is this game any good for kids?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

We only killed 2 as well. Frustratingly there was one Brood on one health that we chased around for an age but we just couldn't kill it. Looking back I wish I just ran at the monster and killed it rather then retreat. I would have died in the process and got a physical trauma but I'm Zoey so I could have easily ridden out the rest of the campaign with it. I actually quite enjoyed the scenario due to the tough choices it presents but my friend (who was Rex) really didn't like it at all and it was his least favourite too.
Mine is still probably the Museum which I just found a little dull and uneventful.

In a weird way I admire their confidence and I do wish them the best with their KS, but yeah Epic AF couldn't be further from my interests which is a shame cos I rather liked the WHQuest system. The mad thing is if you look at the previous KS mades by Awful Fantasy I wouldn't be surprised if calling that game 'Epic as Fuck' ends up being one of the better jokes in that game.

my complete failing of previous scenarios made Unseen easier since I only had two of the monsters to deal with and I was able to deal with each one at a time. One had a triple towering buff on it. My failure with the ritual in the previous scenario I'm sure is gonna screw though.

EYEL1NER

I just got finished with a fun night. I played my second game of Star Wars Rebellion, which was a blast. I played Imperial again, since I started to pick up the strategy by the end of the first game I played a while back. I started off strong, destroying Mon Calamari with a Death Star on the second turn of the game. I didn't move too much early in the game thought and never found the base on Endor.
After that I played 7 Wonders Duel. It was a lot of fun and the person I played with is now wanting the game. I am gonna try the original game again, despite hating it when I played it back in 2014. I'll learn it though and be prepared to take it next week when more people will be there.

ultron87

Definitely not a new one, but after finally playing it last night, Telestrations is funny as hell as a party game. I'd always known about it but never actually played it. It's just the "telephone" game but with drawing, but it works out super well. Definitely a good one if you've got people not interested in being competitive at all. I grabbed a copy to use in similar situations that I use Monikers, Billionaire Banshee and Snake Oil for.

Just ordered Karuba for the kids, hope they like it

Also saw FFG is shipping a new print of Dungeonquest, is this game any good for kids?

I've only played the revised Dungeonquest twice so far. I'd like to play it again soon.
For kids? Maybe if they're 10 or over, I'm guessing. There are a lot of cards to be separated and set up, and the like. Then, kids might also not be keen on the 'oops, you instantly lose' aspect of the game. I'm going to say 'no' unless you're playing with older kids, or modified the rules to be more cooperative and less insta-death.

Top Bottom