• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

sneaky77

I played dead Last the other night at our gaming group.. I can say I just don't like that game, it was my second time playing it, and I find it fun for about 5 mins at most.. then it gets really boring.

We also played Mafia Di Cuba, and that was a good time

Does anyone have an opinion on the Blood Rage expansions? I went to the game store the other day and they had the Gods expansion and another one I can't remember the name of. BR is easily my group's favorite game and if the expansions are cool I'll be sure to pick them up.

Chorazin

Does anyone have an opinion on the Blood Rage expansions? I went to the game store the other day and they had the Gods expansion and another one I can't remember the name of. BR is easily my group's favorite game and if the expansions are cool I'll be sure to pick them up.

Mystics is awesome, Gods is....fine? I guess? I've only played with it once and was underwhelmed.

Mystics pisses me off. They're ridiculously over powered to the point where you pretty much have to take one to keep up with everyone else and it seems like it makes Loki cards even more powerful/annoying.

Neverfade

I kinda want to try 7 Wonders again. I hated it back when I played two games of it back in 2014 but bought it shortly after anyway. I don't know if I've ever even opened it though. Playing 7 Wonders Duel (and watching two people play it this last Tuesday night) made me think I should give it another shot soon, especially if a game night happens soon where a good-size group of people show up.

Get the better drafting game, Greed, instead.

EYEL1NER

I've only played Blood Rage once, so I don't have a ton of experience. We used the Gods expansion and I thought they were interesting though. We had Thor and Loki on the board and Loki was fun to play with. One guy kept forgetting what Loki's ability was and would try to take an area, and then I would move one guy in and play my "If you lose take one Rage from the Winner" Loki card.
Get the better drafting game, Greed, instead.
Never heard of it but I'll look into it.

XShagrath

What are people's favorite 2-player coop boardgames?
Are you looking for games that are two-player exclusive? Or just ones that support two? Looking at BGG, the only two-player co-op I recognize is ...And Then We Held Hands. I've heard it's good, but I haven't played it.

For games that support two, there are many. I play mostly two-player stuff, and play a lot of co-op. The Pandemic games are great, the Arkham Files games (Arkham Horror, Arkham Horror:TCG, Eldritch Horror, etc.), Gloomhaven, and Robinson Crusoe are all very good as well.

I'd suggest taking a look through the highest rated co-op games on BGG and seeing what catches your eye. There are so many themes and different types of games that feature cooperative play.

Llyranor

Yeah, I've heard of Pandemic. I'm looking at this Pandemic Legacy and it is interesting. I like the appeal of a progressing campaign with permanent changes, but it seems pricy for a one-playthrough-only game. Should I be looking at vanilla Pandemic or Legacy?

Are you looking for games that are two-player exclusive? Or just ones that support two? Looking at BGG, the only two-player co-op I recognize is ...And Then We Held Hands. I've heard it's good, but I haven't played it.
Just anything that supports and doesn't feel like it's missing anything with 2 players. It's fine if that means each player controls 2 characters to simulate 4p.

Karkador

Banned
Yeah, I've heard of Pandemic. I'm looking at this Pandemic Legacy and it is interesting. I like the appeal of a progressing campaign with permanent changes, but it seems pricy for a one-playthrough-only game. Should I be looking at vanilla Pandemic or Legacy?

Pandemic is one of the best games out at the moment, and it does play well with 2.

I think basic Pandemic will serve you well for many plays, because it's 1) pretty variable in how each game goes, and 2) pretty difficult. Throw in the On The Brink expansion, and you've got a lot of stuff to mix it up each time. It's a great game to play with a variety of people, since it's pretty easy to teach.

As for Pandemic Legacy...I can't get too deep into the comparisons without spoiling the game. I generally thought the experience was good, but with some not-so-good stuff.
The most interesting aspect by far is the long-term gameplay, but I may have appreciated that more as someone already familiar with Pandemic.

I'd go with basic Pandemic.

Just anything that supports and doesn't feel like it's missing anything with 2 players. It's fine if that means each player controls 2 characters to simulate 4p.

Sometimes, playing as 2 players each to simulate 4P goes alright, but I find that it's pretty annoying in most games.

What are people's favorite 2-player coop boardgames?

Arkham LCG, Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the cursed island and Mage Knight for straight 2p.

I love Eldritch Horror and Sentinels of the Multiverse but we do play 2 characters each. Personally I enjoy that as it gives lots of options each round and makes looking for synergies more fun IMO, but I can see why you may not like it.

Edit: saw where you said later you didn't mind that so yeah, throw those in the "my favorites" pile too.

emag

Saw this on reddit.

Board Game Recommendation Engine
https://apps.quanticfoundry.com/recommendations/tabletop/boardgame/

It is pretty accurate for me when I put in a couple of games. Give it a shot, if you want.

I tried this for video games and was disappointed by the results. Tried it again for board games using Imperial, One Night Ultimate Werewolf, and Race for the Galaxy and got Innovation and Seasons, both of which I dislike, as the top results. A few other combinations of my favorite games didn't yield better outcomes. I appreciate the approach being taken, but just returning the highest BGG ranked titles by the selected games' designers/mechanics/publishers would be more useful.

Reminder the deception expansion kickstarter is 24 hours away from finishing. They just unlocked another role card via social media goals and several new means/evidence cards including horror themed ones.

Played a 3 to 4 hour game of Space Hulk: Death Angel with the Deathwing expansion. Never again. I managed to win but just barely. Despite the name those guys cannot dish out death.

I hope I'm not the only one that takes that long to finish a game. T_T There's so much to calculate when you are controlling 4 squads. Can't imagine controlling all 6 or even 5. Unfortunately, the more squads the better your chance of surviving. At least that's how it is with the base game.

Karkador

Banned
Played a 3 to 4 hour game of Space Hulk: Death Angel with the Deathwing expansion. Never again. I managed to win but just barely. Despite the name those guys cannot dish out death.

I hope I'm not the only one that takes that long to finish a game. T_T There's so much to calculate when you are controlling 4 squads. Can't imagine controlling all 6 or even 5. Unfortunately, the more squads the better your chance of surviving. At least that's how it is with the base game.

You must be talking about the board game, correct? No way the card game takes 3-4 hours.

I've found the Deathwing to be very much about managing support tokens, even more so than the base characters. The greyish blue team with their Hellfire attack is pretty devastating. Getting some support tokens on red's Brother Raphean can be a life saver at critical times. Green's Trail of Destruction is super handy, as is purple's Deathwing Assault.

You must be talking about the board game, correct? No way the card game takes 3-4 hours.
The card game. >_> It was my first game in over half a year. Though I'm prone to analysis paralysis in general.
I've found the Deathwing to be very much about managing support tokens, even more so than the base characters. The greyish blue team with their Hellfire attack is pretty devastating. Getting some support tokens on red's Brother Raphean can be a life saver at critical times. Green's Trail of Destruction is super handy, as is purple's Deathwing Assault.
They have some interesting abilities no doubt.

Llyranor

Thanks for the help, everyone. I think I'll start with Pandemic, then Robinson Crusoe. I'll look into Gloomhaven more when it gets a reprint this Fall.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I think I'll start with Pandemic, then Robinson Crusoe. I'll look into Gloomhaven more when it gets a reprint this Fall.

Gloomhaven, Pandemic Legacy, or Time story without a core group who can meet up on a weekly basis aren't worth investing in.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
heeeyyyyyyyyyyyyu

Road to Legend app ain't bad

I love it. It's the only way I'll play the game now. There's always new questions that come up (especially since I own everything and some of the keywords and activations get weird), but it plays really smooth once you get the hang of it.

Blizzard

Banned
Make sure it's the new edition of Robinson Crusoe since it has a lot of rules and card updates to clarify things a bit.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I love it. It's the only way I'll play the game now. There's always new questions that come up (especially since I own everything and some of the keywords and activations get weird), but it plays really smooth once you get the hang of it.

Do you use monster special abilities on the cards even if they aren't listed in the app?

Ex. Dark elf riposte

panty

Make sure it's the new edition of Robinson Crusoe since it has a lot of rules and card updates to clarify things a bit.
This x100. As an owner of the old version the rules are just terrible. You'll be playing the game with the rulebook in one hand and BGG forums in the other.

Chris R

It'd be 2p coop with my SO so we'd be playing reliably/regularly

I don't think Pandemic Legacy would be too much fun with just two people playing, but I guess it can be done.

And I backed Gloomhaven's second Kickstarter. When I get my copy later this year I'll post my thoughts and my groups thoughts, though we are losing one player... down two three regulars then instead of the four we had for Pandemic Legacy and the five we had for Risk Legacy :(

cross post from arkham lcg post

update!
enjoyed the game! I'm now waiting for the last mythos pack for dunwhich (releasing in italy in a few days) and a date for carcosa..
That being said, I've also ordered
Elder sign
Unseen forces
Gates of Arkham
Omens of Ice
Omens of the deep

to scratch the itch in the meanwhile..

next..
should i buy another lcg, lotr (which i love), or should i buy either

mom 2nd ed + available expansions (or at least 3 to start)
descent 2nd ed + available expansions (or at least 3 to start)
eldritch horror + available expansions
?

elder sign i'm buying as it's a conceptually quicker game and it's on the cheap side.. i bought everything for like 90 euros, so w/e :)
i want atmosphere and replayability for a game :p I'm a bit concerned about MoM replayability as it has so few scenarios :X descent seems a clear winner in that respect...

consider I'm mainly a solo player, though i occasionally get my gf to tag along :)

chifanpoe

Not really anything like Boss Monster, IMO.

The Legendary Encounter games are better than the plain Legendary game. I.e. Alien, Predator, Firefly, Big Trouble in Little China. I've only played ALien and Predator though.

I agree the Legendary line is better. I have played all of them. Once Firefly came out I traded away Alien and Predator copies as I like it slightly better(it is the hardest/most challenging). Setup and tear-down on them is probably the biggest negative factor, other than that they are all great in their own way.

This x100. As an owner of the old version the rules are just terrible. You'll be playing the game with the rulebook in one hand and BGG forums in the other.

The 2ed rulebook is free to download, in case you weren't aware.

And getting closer to First Martians - the app has gone live on google play store, game should be shipping in the next 24 hours according to Portal.

One neat thing about the app is that it has an FAQ section for errata and rules questions.

EYEL1NER

Awww man... A copy of Chaos in the Old World popped up in a GeekAuction earlier. $50 starting bid, $80 BIN. I subscribed to the item and figured I'd keep an eye on it but didn't expect it to last long. It's sold by now. :(
One of these days I'll get my hands on it. FFG and GW parting ways was shitty enough news when it happened but I don't think copies of Chaos in the Old World were plentiful and super-abundant at that time anyway. I imagine I'm gonna have to overpay at some point soon or risk it becoming a $300 grail game in a few years and never being able to buy it. It's gonna be a hard pill to swallow once I finally convince myself to do it though.

The cards also had a lot of clarity updates, if I recall correctly (though I still managed to have questions playing the game).

Oh yeah I do remember people on bgg saying that. We had a few questions also and missed one fairly major rule - drew the top card of the treasure deck instead of drawing until you match the symbol on the token, which actually made things worse for us since we drew beasts each time instead of the treasures we should have been drawing.

Awww man... A copy of Chaos in the Old World popped up in a GeekAuction earlier. $50 starting bid, $80 BIN. I subscribed to the item and figured I'd keep an eye on it but didn't expect it to last long. It's sold by now. :(
As of a few days ago, my FLGS still had a sealed copy for sale -- I'm guessing around $90CAD (it's been a while since I last looked at the price, but they stick pretty close to MSRP and generally only mark up to account for USD/CAD conversion rates). No expansion, though. 99% of the time we're playing 3-player, which is why I don't think I'll plan on getting it myself.

If you're interested in me buying and mailing it to you from Alberta, Canada, let me know. Pepboy sold me a copy of Glory to Rome almost 5 yrs ago, so it's due time I pay it forward. :)

One of the many flavor of the month hyped up games, sold out, stores restocked big time, but the players cooled off on it heavily or found out it was not the greatest, so stores now got alot of non moving product.

Dunno if it ever sold out, reviews were pretty bad from the beginning.

One of the many flavor of the month hyped up games, sold out, stores restocked big time, but the players cooled off on it heavily or found out it was not the greatest, so stores now got alot of non moving product.
This was a dud from the jump. I do wonder if it would have perceived better if it had come out before Pandemic Legacy. It was announced well ahead of PL too.

Top Bottom