• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

fenners

Second game of Lisboa. Rarely get to play this kind of euro repeatedly like this, but I put my foot down & made our group play it again tonight after it took so long to learn last week. No way do I want to teach/re-learn it any time soon.

It's not a *hard* game, it's another incremental euro with point salad for vp, and the usual loops of turning one good into another resource to do something that gets you VP later in the game. But the way the possible actions are structured, with card play, and a follow-on action that other players can get into (a la Glory to Rom) make explaining the flow of a turn, and keeping it in your head initially, tough.

But it's a good un. Tons of tough decisions, tons of routes for VP, and did I say tons of tough decisions?

JSR_Cube

Second game of Lisboa. Rarely get to play this kind of euro repeatedly like this, but I put my foot down & made our group play it again tonight after it took so long to learn last week. No way do I want to teach/re-learn it any time soon.

It's not a *hard* game, it's another incremental euro with point salad for vp, and the usual loops of turning one good into another resource to do something that gets you VP later in the game. But the way the possible actions are structured, with card play, and a follow-on action that other players can get into (a la Glory to Rom) make explaining the flow of a turn, and keeping it in your head initially, tough.

But it's a good un. Tons of tough decisions, tons of routes for VP, and did I say tons of tough decisions?

Thanks. Waiting to get my copy to the table.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So who all came up to Gencon this year? We are sitting out here waiting for the dealer room doors to open lol

I'm going to be there Saturday. It's torture sitting at the office knowing that Gen Con is happening only 20-25 minutes down the road!

Oh also, I've been playing more Dark Souls and...It's not that bad? I mean, the treasure deck is what it is, but the game plays fine? What's the issue with this again?

I'm going to be there Saturday. It's torture sitting at the office knowing that Gen Con is happening only 20-25 minutes down the road!

Oh also, I've been playing more Dark Souls and...It's not that bad? I mean, the treasure deck is what it is, but the game plays fine? What's the issue with this again?

It's grinding the board game. They replicated the video game, it's tons of repetition.... it's just not very fun in board game format. You just keep doing same thing over and over till you win. Also there is very little variety to the game.

Not a fan of it, but think Kingdom Death skips the boring repetition and goes straight to the meat and potatoes compared to DS.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
It's grinding the board game. They replicated the video game, it's tons of repetition.... it's just not very fun in board game format. You just keep doing same thing over and over till you win. Also there is very little variety to the game.

Not a fan of it, but think Kingdom Death skips the boring repetition and goes straight to the meat and potatoes compared to DS.

OK - that makes sense. As a primarily solo gamer, I don't mind the grind. I just grab a beer, sit down, and get to work. I can understand why some people might find that less fun than others, though.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I think that there isn't really much to do. What you should do each turn is pretty easy to figure out, and it is extremely repetitive. The core box really hurts from the lack of enemy types and encounters. All the different tiles don't really change anything, they just have different art on them. I would say I was disappointed, but I really didn't expect much.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
My friend scored one of the 6 copies of KD:M available for sale at Gen Con. I told him he hit the jackpot. No matter the quality of the game, he'll have offers on that box before the days over.

elyetis

Damn Battlecon Trials is here.
Oh nice, seems like they kind of forgot to update us on the shipping. I'm in europe so I guess I'll still need to wait a couple more weeks.

I should also bug them again about the tuck box for the other characters, I still badly want a better storage solution for the game.

EYEL1NER

So who all came up to Gencon this year? We are sitting out here waiting for the dealer room doors to open lol
I know your gonna have a lot going on, but if you see this in time while you are at the L99 booth (I see your post mentioning BattleCON Trials being there), could you see how they are distributing promos? If they are straight up selling them, a guy in town I know went to GenCon and I can message him and see if he can pick some up for me. I've got all the BattleCON promos released prior to their League Play starting. Ithry on the BattleCON Trials Kickstarter comments said they should have some of the Season One promos there when I asked if they would be available outside of league play in the future.

Friend posting live vids of gencon, it's insanely packed for a Thurs geez. I miss Gencon, but seeing how crowded it is these days, just reminds me why I stopped going.

Hope to make Origins my go to gaming con next year, I miss big game cons.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Yea it is beyond packed in here. I managed to get some stuff I wanted before it sold out, though. Got to meet Sandy Petersen and Brad Talton. I talked to Brad for a good while about BattleCON stuff. For Americans he said Trials should be coming probably next week. I didn't ask about Europe but I will go back an ask him. The new characters have small tuck boxes and Brad said something is in the works for a complete storage solution. As far as promos, I don't know which are part of which season but there are 11 here and they are $3 each. Also new Millenium Blades promos here.

The lines for Fantasy Flight and CMON are downright comical. Massive Darkness is on sale and they have 4 or 5 Rising Sun demos going. Might try to slide in on one.

EYEL1NER

Yea it is beyond packed in here. I managed to get some stuff I wanted before it sold out, though. Got to meet Sandy Petersen and Brad Talton. I talked to Brad for a good while about BattleCON stuff. For Americans he said Trials should be coming probably next week. I didn't ask about Europe but I will go back an ask him. The new characters have small tuck boxes and Brad said something is in the works for a complete storage solution. As far as promos, I don't know which are part of which season but there are 11 here and they are $3 each. Also new Millenium Blades promos here.

The lines for Fantasy Flight and CMON are downright comical. Massive Darkness is on sale and they have 4 or 5 Rising Sun demos going. Might try to slide in on one.
$3 each?! Hot damn! I'll have to send the guy I know a message and see if he can pick me up some. Or I might not, because it'll probably be a hassle for him. A portion of the promos from the organized play rewards are promos from the previous War Remastered Kickstarter campaign and I have all of those, so I'll have to send him a list of what promos I have and do not have. I really want them but it's probably more work than I should ask of him.
I hope I get to meet Brad at some point though. Great news on a complete storage solution being in the works;p, it seemed there for a bit after he received the big box prototype and was dissatisfied that he was maybe reconsidering the need for one. This game definitely needs it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Anything interesting at FFF besides TI4 and Fallout?

Mine just show up along with 7th Continent. I am watching Gaming Rules! and might try to get Lisboa to the table next MeetUP. That said, I am not excited at all about 7th Continent the more I looks at it the more it look boring and repetitive. It's like playing TIME Stories by yourself (if you play solo).

Experien

Mine just show up along with 7th Continent. I am watching Gaming Rules! and might try to get Lisboa to the table next MeetUP. That said, I am not excited at all about 7th Continent the more I looks at it the more it look boring and repetitive. It's like playing TIME Stories by yourself (if you play solo).

not a fan of narrative driven games?

I got mine last week and planning to play it (at least solo) this weekend. Though I may be missing some cards.

not a fan of narrative driven games?

I got mine last week and planning to play it (at least solo) this weekend. Though I may be missing some cards.

I love narrative driven games and it's what actually got me deep into this hobby. I enjoyed Arkham, Eldritch, TIME Stories and Robinson Crusoe but lately I find the narrative need to have good mechanic or at least interesting decision making. This one just look extremely boring you flip card you choose action and ultimately fail so you can repeat it again until you win.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
so between all the intro stuff, parade, learning game....

the first round of L5R play didn't conclude until 4.5 hours after the L5R preview event started.

woooof

Yikes and it's gonna get crazier. Wife wants to go back, but we kinda had a bad time last time with all the crowds and crazy lines. Friends been telling us Origins is where we should try instead, getting bigger while not as packed as Gencon, so you get tons of game time in, easy demos, and no crazy lines outside first day registration pick up.

I loved Indy though

I think I would like Twilight Imperium.. I just don't think I could ever get people to the table to play it... And the play time just wouldn't work for me unless you can walk away from it and continue in a following session.. maybe play a couple hours each week? Or would time away from it detract from the experience?

As for Dark Souls, it's not the worst, it's just not good enough for the amount of space it takes up, for the amount of time it takes to play (5-10 hours for a miniboss + boss), and I had really counted on house ruling it into a game I wanted to play, but the nature of the loot system being a lottery that you spend hours and hours grinding, until you level up enough to use good weapons, at which point, the game is easy, means it's unfun no matter what rules you come up with. There is no difficulty. The difficulty is how long you will sit at the table and play the game, because you are simply grinding until your characters become good enough to win through basic dice rolling.

I'm not impressed. Keeping my fingers crossed for Demon's Souls the board game by a different developer. :p

ultron87

I got Aeon's End: War Eternal, Cities of Splendor and Secrets on Con Day 1. Now for the most sacred of con activities: drunk lobby gaming.

Blizzard

Banned
I really want to hear Cities of Splendor impressions. We hardly ever play Splendor, but it's a good game for the Ticket-to-Ride complexity level people.

Had a really great night at the portal, won every game I played and played 3 new for me games. Cosmic Encounter which completely lives up to the hype and it's crazy to think it's such an old game, Scottland Yard which me and another guy were super insync and we crushed the criminal with plenty of time to spare, and finally a niche game called powerboats which is a fun racing game with a clever push your luck mechanic to speed up and slow down your boat.

Blizzard

Banned
Ugh, I just found out the Oh My Goods expansion was at Gencon but sold out already. I'm still trying to figure out if I need to order internationally or if it's going to show up in retailers.

zulux21

I have heard a lot about Aeon's End...What is it exactly?

deck builder that is co op that you are fighting against a boss.

the major unique mechanic to it is that you don't shuffle your deck, but instead once you need more cards you just flip the discard pile over.

it's a pretty solid deck builder with some interesting mechanics overall.

nice part is you don't actually have to beat the boss, you just have to survive until the end. though if you kill the boss you also win.

I'm looking forward to getting my kickstarter of the new game at some point this year.

tm24

Is there any impressions of Wasteland Express Delivery Service? I liked what a saw a while back and then completely fell off the bgg train. I think i may be able to start a group so i finally remembered it existed

Blizzard

Banned
Is there any impressions of Wasteland Express Delivery Service? I liked what a saw a while back and then completely fell off the bgg train. I think i may be able to start a group so i finally remembered it existed
There were a couple of impressions earlier:

Played Wasteland Express last night.

It's got a very daunting unboxing experience initially. One odd thing of note is that you need to keep a bunch of the cardboard sheets that you punched stuff out of. We also might have missed something but we ended up with action counters that didn't seem to have a specific storage slot. We managed to get them in though. The trays do make initial game setup go pretty quickly, which is nice. You could probably be playing 5 minutes after you grab the box off your shelf.

As for the gameplay, it was pretty fun. There's a decent amount of variety in setup to keep it fresh(and we obviously didn't even look at the campaign setups). The way the board is setup, and the way movement works is pretty cool. 90% of the rules made sense to me and were fairly intuitive once we got going. My only worry initially is that it seems like it might be prone to snowballing. Basically, you start with limited resources and storage space. Any damage you take ends up blocking your storage spots, and it costs money and actions to get it fixed in one place. So if you get unlucky in combat early in the game, you've lost half your storage space, 1/3 of your starting funds to repair, and possibly a few turns of driving to get to the repair location. I need(and want) to play it more to see for sure about that.

As for the 10% of the rules I'm unsure about, one of the other guys was going to post on BGG, but I figured i'd ask here in case Stooge knows offhand. Normally, a city might have a demand for say, water. If you deliver it to them, you get paid the market value for water, and replace that demand with a new one. There are smuggling missions though, where you deliver a specific good to a city regardless of their demand. These normally give you $4 and an ally, but we had some doubt on whether you also get market value for the delivered good. So if the smuggled good is different than their demand(if any), do you get quest reward + market value? What if the smuggled good IS their demanded good as well?

I wish I had gotten pictures but my phone was dead.

tl;dr: Wasteland is fun. Deserves some of the hype for sure.

Edit: Just remembered the one thing that did aggravate me. There are three Raider Trucks that move around and act like hazards, and each corresponds to a specific raider faction, but the trucks are identical. They do include some stickers, but there's not really great flat spots to put the stickers, and it really feels like an after thought considering how well thought out everything else is.

We played Wasteland Express yesterday. The components and inserts are amazing and while we did enjoy the game I have to agree with Shut Up and Sit Down that adding those objectives sort of ruin the fun of the game. I definitely like it more than SU&SD and didn't find it to be as terrible but that said I still would prefer playing Merchants of Venus over this.

Day one haul from GenCon:
Codenames Duet
Lazer Riderz
Wasteland Express Delivery Service
Photosynthesis
Kingdomino
Differences Jr. (for the kids)

Not a bad first day. Its my first time here and I'm enjoying myself. I did True Dungeon yesterday and hit the exhibit hall. I have a few events to go to today but that's about it. It is packed, but it still feels "roomy". I'm judging it based off of my previous experience with ComicCon. It may just be the venue but I felt ComicCon was way more uncomfortable to walk. At Indy there is definitely more space to move and sit if you need a break.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Codenames Duet
Lazer Riderz
Photosynthesis
Kingdomino

Not a bad first day. Its my first time here and I'm enjoying myself. I did True Dungeon yesterday and hit the exhibit hall. I have a few events to go to today but that's about it. It is packed, but it still feels "roomy". I'm judging it based off of my previous experience with ComicCon. It may just be the venue but I felt ComicCon was way more uncomfortable to walk. At Indy there is definitely more space to move and sit if you need a break.

Yeah - Gen Con is busy, but it's not as bad as some people make it seem. There is SO much space around the convention center and surrounding locations that the only real "crowded" area is the show floor. And even that is select in its crowds (In that some booths get dumb and others stay fresh).

I really want to hear Cities of Splendor impressions. We hardly ever play Splendor, but it's a good game for the Ticket-to-Ride complexity level people.

I played the Trading Post unit at Gen Con and really liked it. They're like mini-nobles in terms of objective amount, but grant powers to augment how you play. The two of us who really went after them went 1/2, so take that as you will.

Codenames Duet
Lazer Riderz
Photosynthesis
Kingdomino

Do realize it gets busier friday and saturday

Ohnonono

I have been working on playing the games I have and painting the warhammer 40k stuff I have and buying nothing but Arkham Horror LCG really. The Fallout game could be the one game I keep an eye on and maybe pick up around christmas if it is out. I love adventure games and everything looks pretty good so far.

Super jelly of everybody at GenCon. Some local guys from my LGS went just so they could play L5R. Based on early reports, they like it but it needs work.

As far as things for sale, there is but one promo figure I was wanting. I've been checking secondary market pricing, but I'm not paying $50+ for a $15 figure. :(

Top Bottom