• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Pikelet

My gaming group is big into co-op games. We like Pandemic, Firefighting Diceroll Extreme (now with dog), Defenders of the Realm, and Ghost Stories/Yggdrasil. We also are very fond of games like Arabian Nights.

So that said, is there any reason we shouldn't pick up Eldritch Horror?

A couple people in our group are wary of the length of it (but we play games like Arabian Nights and Myth no problem...) and none of us really wanted to play Arkham, but still loved the idea of it.

I've never played Arkham Horror, but I've had a few runs at Eldritch Horror. If you can get in to the theme it can be a lot of fun. A lot of the mechanics, such as condition cards and asset use/collection really help to bring out the theme but there is quite a lot of randomness. The randomness is what makes the story interesting and unique, however it comes at the cost of elegant mechanics.

Pandemic, for example, has very little randomness by comparison. Because of this, you can reliably plan and execute strategies that involve teamwork and coordination. Eldritch has a bit of this, but oftentimes random events can screw you, or render previous planning pointless. Oftentimes you will find yourself having discussions about where people should go to manage the crises that are constantly popping up around the world, but sometimes fate intervenes and all the planning in the world wouldn't have saved you.

If you think that your group could get interested in the theme and would enjoy reading the flavour text then I think that you will have a great time. If you think that they would rather be more in control of their fate with strategic decision-making, then perhaps look elsewhere.

Also, though I would probably rate it higher than they do, check out the Shut Up and Sit Down Review, which is an excellent overview.

Neverfade

Camel Up: Amazing fun. Very silly and luck based but a great party game with a lot of laughs.

I've come around a but on One Night Werewolf -- I still like Avalon better, but it hit a sweet spot tonight.

A little OT but we moved over to Sportsfriends on PS4 for some Super Pole Riders. My face still hurts from laughing so much. We unlocked the secret stage for SPR; next level shit! 👍

Icefire1424

Anyone hear anything about Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe? Strategic Level Wargame that seems to be gaining some popularity on BGG. Almost looks like BG version of Hearts of Iron. Kindof. Somewhat interested as it looks like solo play is possible.

Angst

Anyone hear anything about Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe? Strategic Level Wargame that seems to be gaining some popularity on BGG. Almost looks like BG version of Hearts of Iron. Kindof. Somewhat interested as it looks like solo play is possible.
I'd love to play it, but "Playing Time - 3000 minutes" made me reconsider that.

Icefire1424

I'd love to play it, but "Playing Time - 3000 minutes" made me reconsider that.

Ha, saw that as well, but the description clarifies that scenarios last anywhere from 30 minutes to 50 hours, with some encompassing the entire war. My guess is the 3000 minute one is probably WW2 in its entirety, or something like that.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Got Legendary this weekend. The initial setup was a little confusing (sorting the cards beforehand and not having marked/named seperatorcards), but once we got into the flow of the game, things were moving pretty fast. We were saving bystanders, kicking villain ass and healing wounds in rapid succession. The fun really started when we both got a good set of cards and we were discussing who would best take which action, in order to defeat the villains most efficiently.
We only played once, the suggested first play scenario from the manual, looking forward to playing the first real game. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to select heroes at random?

Got Legendary this weekend. The initial setup was a little confusing (sorting the cards beforehand and not having marked/named seperatorcards), but once we got into the flow of the game, things were moving pretty fast. We were saving bystanders, kicking villain ass and healing wounds in rapid succession. The fun really started when we both got a good set of cards and we were discussing who would best take which action, in order to defeat the villains most efficiently.
We only played once, the suggested first play scenario from the manual, looking forward to playing the first real game. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to select heroes at random?

I use a really nice looking app on my android phone that randomized everything. Sometimes we will just pick thematic heroes or pick two of our favorites and then fill in the rest with random ones.

theres several free randomizer apps for both android and ios

I like that game a lot, but the setup sucks. I'll echo everybody and say take a look at whatever App Store for your smartphone or tablet. I use Legendary Randomizer. It's a slick, easy to use program that has all the expansions.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I like that game a lot, but the setup sucks. I'll echo everybody and say take a look at whatever App Store for your smartphone or tablet. I use Legendary Randomizer. It's a slick, easy to use program that has all the expansions.

Legendary Randomiser is fantastic! I really enjoy Legendary. It's by far my favorite superhero game although I will concede that others are a bit more polished mechanically, Legendary is just chaotic fun.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
So my friend and I tried a game of Galactic Strike Force on Saturday... and we were pretty much hosed within one turn. We dealt in another friend, and we lost within 3 turns. It's very, very hard. And there's an unwieldy amount of stuff to keep track of... and this is coming from a group who has played hundreds of games of Sentinels of the Multiverse (which I'll plug as my very favorite thing I've played of his, it's just brilliant).

We're rethinking strategy for GSF and are gonna play again soon. Hopefully this time we're more successful. I'm thinking it will probably get better as we play it, SotM did. But it wasn't the greatest of first impressions unfortunately.

EYEL1NER

So after talking it up last week and not playing it, I am going to try out Elder Sign in a little bit. I also will be playing Castle Ravenloft as well; really looking forward to both. Especially Ravenloft, since I haven't really played any of the modular dungeon crawlers out there. So I am excited about laying tiles and exploring (though from what I understand Ravenloft has the least amount of exploring out of the three D&D games, it is all about attempting to stay alive. I have Drizzt on the way though, so I should get better exploring out of that, especially with its improved treasure deck). Probably going to also do some MtG and a game or so of Smash Up. I'd like to get a game of Guillotine in too.

Karkador

Banned
I didn't know there were bootleg board games. Print and play, sure, but unauthorized bootlegs of games sold at "retail"?

I didn't know there were bootleg board games. Print and play, sure, but unauthorized bootlegs of games sold at "retail"?
China mostly. Asia is supposedly underserved in the boardgame market. They just don't get certain games and what games they do get are extremely expensive. So bootlegs are kind of the only way to get a release for a decent price.

Pau

My #1 problem with Legendary is that I can't use Magneto as a hero.

Neverfade

On the topic of bootlegs, a favorite pic:

awDsw.jpg

Karkador

Banned
China mostly. Asia is supposedly underserved in the boardgame market. They just don't get certain games and what games they do get are extremely expensive. So bootlegs are kind of the only way to get a release for a decent price.

Isn't there a growing list of game manufacturers in China, though?

Still been playing Star Realms every couple days. What a fun little deck builder. I can play it with the wife or my hardcore gaming friends. Love it. Got some X-wing in on Sunday too.

Currently I a preparing a campaign for Dungeons and Dragons 5e to run with some new players in my family. Pretty excited to see where it goes. I have the starter set pre-ordered at Amazon ($12.99) but will start before it comes out with the rules from the last playtest packet.

Edit: oh and like always I get some hearthstone in before bed.

EYEL1NER

Had some fun tonight. My buddy and I gamed for about 5 1/2 hours, only getting in one game of Elder Sign and one of Castle Ravenloft. We didn't do too badly in either, given it was our first time playing both.

Elder Sign started off pretty well, with me quickly amassing 4 Elder Signs and him getting one to throw at Yig. Then he decided to take an Otherworld challenge, knowing that he only had a slim chance of avoiding getting devoured. He said "Sometimes you need to take risks" when I advised him to wait until the daily effect from the current Mythos card ended. He took the risk, failed, lost his Elder Sign after getting devoured, and caused me to lose one due to the ongoing effect on the mythos card. We had very few doom tokens on Yig and had 5 Elder Signs and next thing I knew we were down to 3 and we were spawning monsters and doom tokens like crazy. Yig awoke and I was promptly devoured, as I had no items at the time to sacrifice. My buddy had 4 clue tokens and max stamina/sanity, so he went round-and-round with Yig, slowly whittling the doom tokens down. After what seemed like 20 minutes, he removed the last one and won.

Castle Ravenloft went pretty smoothly as well. We played the second adventure, where you have to drive forward through the castle and locate an item in the chapel. Things took a bad turn when he drew an encounter turn that swapped him with the furthest monster away (which was on the complete other side of the map). We eventually made it to the chapel and he killed both monsters in one attack. He then claimed the item and though he had fulfilled the victory requirements, it didn't make sense to us thematically that a cleric sent us in the fetch the item and we didn't have to make it out with it. So we decided to keep going once I caught up to him and we drove our way back through the traps and enemies that were in-between us and the stairs. Once we made it to the squares at the top of the stairs (and defeated the spider that spawned there as a result of an encounter card, allowing me to level up with the natural 20 I rolled to defeat it and the 5 exp I already had), we declared it a victory. Very fun. I am very much looking forward to playing again next week and I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of Drizzt in a couple weeks. He said he will probably buy Ashardalon, so we will be able to roll through all three.

I am pretty pleased that I finally played Elder Sign, since I have owned it for two months almost. And knocking another unplayed game out was cool too. Hopefully my two X-Wing core sets get here this week (they only shipped out of Philly on Saturday though, so probably next Thursday at the earliest), because that is what I spend my time at work doing now, is reading about different 100-point squads and strategies and trying to decided which expansions to buy to go with the two cores. I am so excited about that game. I also need to get a good mat. I can't settle on which Hubble deep sky pic I want to use though, there are so many good ones out there.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I use a really nice looking app on my android phone that randomized everything. Sometimes we will just pick thematic heroes or pick two of our favorites and then fill in the rest with random ones.

theres several free randomizer apps for both android and ios

Thanks guys. It never occurred to me that someone might have made an app for that :)

Neverfade

I'm at a loss, what am I looking at?

Black Lotus, a card worth thousands of dollars, getting the old bend inspection.

Fake Magic cards crease when you do that.

It appears to be a fake Black Lotus from Magic undergoing the "Bend" test. No sane person would subject a real Black Lotus to such treatment.

That one is (probably) real. While there are some fakes that can pass a bend test now, that particular pic has been around forever.

fenners

Im on the fence about backing march of the ants. My little cousins would love it since i don't think theyre quite there for Eclipse, but im not really sure i need another game in the vein of eclipse

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/910041337/march-of-the-ants

Antics! does the whole ant colony expansion thing really well... Reading the reviews up for it on the Geek really don't make it sound like anything new, and I worry it's got first-game-syndrome...

Some of the KS exclusives includes:
$5-10 savings over retail pricing.
exclusive centipede meeples
exclusive round marker chosen by the KS community
exclusive blank cards for homebrew expansions

Wow, blank cards, a great reason to kickstart ;)

(yes, I'm negative).

Icefire1424

Black Lotus, a card worth thousands of dollars, getting the old bend inspection.

Somehow, my ongoing internal debate of dropping a couple bucks on a few Star Wars LCG expansions and X-Wing mini's seems less significant. Yikes. Must be a helluva good plant, that.

Slacker

Went camping with another family this weekend. I brought a big bag of games that I initially thought was too many, but I think we played 'em all. My idea of a great weekend. :)

Picked up Hive Pocket to play with my 9 year old, assuming that no one else would be all that interested, but all four kids (age ranges 6-9) were fascinated by the game. I was really surprised both in the fact that they all wanted to play it so often, and that the younger kids were able to figure it out pretty well. The adults sneaked in a few games when we could grab it away from the kids too. Great game. I'm really glad I got the pocket version too. The tiles are big enough for me, and the game plus the expansions for $14 is a steal.

Cth

Does anyone have any advice on how to best sell a MTG Collector's Edition Set without getting scammed?

I'm guessing going to conventions? Ebay and Craigslist seem risky.

I was wondering if you fine people could help me out with a game I remember seeing a number of months ago but can't for the life of me remember what it was called. It saw it in a review video but it was reviewed with a bunch of other stuff (video games, movies, comic books, etc.) and I can't see to find it since.

Pretty much, the only definable trait it has is that its packaging is a little treasure chest that fits in the palm of your hand. Also, I believe it's single player as well as multiplayer. It might've came out within the last few months as I remember watching the video this year.

I know it's a long shot but if anyone has any idea what I'm talking about and can point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it.

ultron87

Does anyone have any advice on how to best sell a MTG Collector's Edition Set without getting scammed?

I'm guessing going to conventions? Ebay and Craigslist seem risky.

So one of these? http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/arcana/373 Very nice. I probably wouldn't Ebay that unless I got all the shipping insurances ever. I don't see how Craigslist can go wrong if you get paid in cash in person.

You're probably going to get the best price if you sell it yourself to another individual but if you don't want to deal with that you can always email one of the big Magic card selling sites like Starcity Games or Channel Fireball to see what they would offer. Shopping around the sellers at a convention would also work.

I was wondering if you fine people could help me out with a game I remember seeing a number of months ago but can't for the life of me remember what it was called. It saw it in a review video but it was reviewed with a bunch of other stuff (video games, movies, comic books, etc.) and I can't see to find it since.

Pretty much, the only definable trait it has is that its packaging is a little treasure chest that fits in the palm of your hand. Also, I believe it's single player as well as multiplayer. It might've came out within the last few months as I remember watching the video this year.

I know it's a long shot but if anyone has any idea what I'm talking about and can point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it.

It's called dungeon roll

I have been playing a lot of Zombicide lately. The game is freaking brilliant, easy to learn, decent mechanics and a hoot with friends. I really recommend it.

Rom1944

I'm thinking on buying a new boardgame i have three in mind:
Merchants&marauders, Shadows over camelot and the spartacus board game that looks good and not a silly boardgame form a tv show cash grab.

so does anybody have any of this boardgames?

I think spartacus is an interesting game. It has a good card playing/take that element, a good betting mechanic, a great use of currency in bidding/ bribing other players, but the arena battles are the weakest part and are pretty reliant on dice.

I always have a blast playing it and its different phases appeal to different kinds of gamers, but it can be a bit mean for some players' tastes.

Karkador

Banned
I really enjoyed the time I played Shadows Over Camelot. It might not be a game you'l play every week or anything like that, but it's got a very nice build-up for a hidden role game.

Spartacus is an awesome game with a very broad appeal. We have a curfew on this game because our loud yelling prevents the SO's from going to bed. That should tell you something. =)

I'm thinking on buying a new boardgame i have three in mind:
Merchants&marauders, Shadows over camelot and the spartacus board game that looks good and not a silly boardgame form a tv show cash grab.

so does anybody have any of this boardgames?
Merchant and Marauders is one of my favorite games. To me it feels like Sid Meier's Pirates in boardgame form. I personally love how you can play the game how you want. You'll get points for nearly everything in the game, so you aren't penalized for choosing one strategy over another. The biggest knock against the game is the down time. It's possible for turns to take a while but for the most part it's not too bad.

blurrygil

It's been a while since dropping into this (old) thread.

BEAUTIFUL OP.

I'd be happy to contribute information to the OP when back from E3. :-D

Top Bottom