• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New body cam laws remove last bastion of police accountability

Status
Not open for further replies.
These kinds of laws are only going to deepen the "us vs. them" mentality of the public and the police, on both sides. It really sells the idea that the police absolutely do have something to hide. I feel like the inadvertent message is for the public to start recording every interaction with police because law enforcement will certainly not be transparent.

Until that eventually becomes illegal.

Everyone I know - regardless of how they feel about recent police events - is pretty much in favor of police body cams. I understand that it can be quite expensive to equip every department in America with the equipment though.

Everyone I know - regardless of how they feel about recent police events - is pretty much in favor of police body cams. I understand that it can be quite expensive to equip every department in America with the equipment though.
Everyone I have spoken with in my Criminology classes, and at the police academy, and the police officers I work with, are in favor of, or ambivalent about, body cameras. I wouldn't call it a strawman argument because clearly as illustrated in the OP there is a force dead-
set against them, but hell if I know who it actually is. Some old-timey sheriffs with a lot of political power I guess.

You were filming a cop. You'll be arrested... no joke

I said everyone. They can't arrest everyone.

Not that I actually think it would work. Not only would everyone not do it, but if enough people did, they'd pass laws making it illegal. And then arrest those who did.

...so yeah, you're right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom