• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Danganronpa V3 featured in Famitsu this week

Honestly, my ideal scenario is
Junko appearing but being neither the Mastermind or Main Villain.
Just because to me that would honestly be genuinely surprising.
That would actually make sense considering in my opinion that they don't
don't really go into details about why she was so persuasive to get people killing each other. Her being a puppet of a bigger bad would be interesting.

FluxWaveZ

That would actually make sense considering in my opinion that they don't
don't really go into details about why she was so persuasive to get people killing each other. Her being a puppet of a bigger bad would be interesting.

Have you read Danganronpa Zero? That prequel novel makes it much clearer how
Junko was able to bring society to its knees, and made me like her as a character a lot more.

Honestly, my ideal scenario is
Junko appearing but being neither the Mastermind or Main Villain.
Just because to me that would honestly be genuinely surprising.

What I want is (AE spoilers)
Monaca and Junko (her AI in an actual body that looks nothing like Junko) both part of the cast. Monaca would be the first victim while Junko is the culprit and the first trial would lead to her true identity being revealed. She would then be executed in an incredibly cruel way.

FluxWaveZ

Monaca and Junko (her AI in an actual body that looks nothing like Junko) both part of the cast. Monaca would be the first victim while Junko is the culprit and the first trial would lead to her true identity being revealed. She would then be executed in an incredibly cruel way.

But that wouldn't work, because the very nature of what
Junko is is that she's an unstoppable force. Her whole character is the "final boss." Bringing her in as a lesser bad guy to be offed quickly would be a huge disservice to her character and the whole world that is Danganronpa, with Junko who was responsible for it all. It would dilute everything for the sake of a nonsense cameo. For what purpose?

I'm for the concept of this truly being "New." I didn't come to like this series because of returning characters or because of the "Hope vs. Despair" outside world. I came to like it because it was a game that depicted unique characters having to kill each other in an enclosed environment, with trappings of Battle Royale and Ace Attorney.

Using the past as a crutch would be the series' downfall for me. So now I'm actually really glad that this is direction they're pushing for DR V3.

My take on this is that if you still have Monokuma, it can't be all new, anyway.

Monokuma is just Junko. That's all. Monokuma's whole personality was just Junko's personality all along. So to have Monokuma back and acting the same and not have Junko involved would feel like a cheap moment to me.

The only way to actually properly be a new beginning without it having major connections to the past would be to drop Monokuma entirely, but they aren't going to do that with him being the face of the franchise.

Dugna

My take on this is that if you still have Monokuma, it can't be all new, anyway.

Monokuma is just Junko. That's all. Monokuma's whole personality was just Junko's personality all along. So to have Monokuma back and acting the same and not have Junko involved would feel like a cheap moment to me.

The only way to actually properly be a new beginning without it having major connections to the past would be to drop Monokuma entirely, but they aren't going to do that with him being the face of the franchise.

and his eye being the logo of the Danganronpa team they just recently announced.

I'm for the concept of this truly being "New." I didn't come to like this series because of returning characters or because of the "Hope vs. Despair" outside world. I came to like it because it was a game that depicted unique characters having to kill each other in an enclosed environment, with trappings of Battle Royale and Ace Attorney.

It's funny that I like the series for the same reason as you but the characters and "Hope vs. Despair" and world building angle are it's strongest reasons of why I get excited about a new entry.

I'd honestly be fine with them dropping Monokuma. Get another avatar of despair going on with a similarly cruel but distinct personality.

You know that even if the devs wanted to it would be futile at this point. Monokuma is the face of the franchise. They can't just throw that away. Even if only from a marketing standpoint.

FluxWaveZ

It's funny that I like the series for the same reason as you but the characters and "Hope vs. Despair" and world building angle are it's strongest reasons of why I get excited about a new entry.

To be clear, the characters are obviously a huge part of the stories for these games (I specifically meant returning characters), and I do find the outer world stuff somewhat compelling (though less so after we've explored it in Danganronpa: Another Episode).

After DR:AE and DR2, I think I'm alright with them reining in the outer world stuff.
A full on war against despair featuring the Future Foundation doesn't sound like all that to me, though I can imagine ways to make that interesting.

I don't need returning characters, especially with faith that Kodaka can make a great group of new ones. A whole new cast and a whole new setting? Sounds great.

What if Monokuma acted differently? Monokuma didn't act the same way in DR1 and in DR2; he had very different motivations, and that was reflected with how he interacted with the characters and set up the killing game.

A Monokuma who had some semblance of what he was before, but had a distinct behavior change would be totally reasonable and feasible.

Cloyster

Banned
If it can't move on from that, the franchise is beyond being stale and out of ideas and should just die.
Having Junko in more than one game was already stretching it.

There is so much more to this series than just Junko, so I think you're being a bit harsh.

What if Monokuma acted differently? Monokuma didn't act the same way in DR1 and in DR2; he had very different motivations, and that was reflected with how he interacted with the characters and set up the killing game.

A Monokuma who had some semblance of what he was before, but had a distinct behavior change would be totally reasonable and feasible.

Yeah, that would work reasonably well.

I question whether they would be willing to pretty much completely change Monokuma's personality, but if they did I think it could work out.
Although you probably still need some mention of Junko in there at some point, to explain why the villain is using Monokuma as an avatar to begin with.

I think Monokuma should always have a spot in all DR games, I mean you could always adapt his personality to a new
mastermind
or you could always play fiddles behind his movitations from game to game.

FluxWaveZ

I mean, are spoilers being outright posted now? I don't care, but be aware that that opens the floodgates for everything Danganronpa, from the novels to Another Episode.

I wouldn't mind if she's referenced as the god of despair.

---Junko---
pretty much should because they're the reason for literally all of the events in the series, starting from Danganronpa Zero. Another Episode did it like that, which was fine, but then
she actually returns as the final boss. That was fine too, I guess, because it ties into Danganronpa 2, but having her referred to as this mythical figure is enough now that she's truly dead.

Puruzi

Banned
I mean, are spoilers being outright posted now? I don't care, but be aware that that opens the floodgates for everything Danganronpa, from the novels to Another Episode.

I mean it's a thread for the 3rd game in the series

decided that spoilering things doesn't really make sense so I'm not gonna use the bars

Thoraxes

I'd honestly be fine with them dropping Monokuma. Get another avatar of despair going on with a similarly cruel but distinct personality.

I'd like for some of the stuff revealed in AE regarding Monokuma to be further extrapolated upon, personally.

I honestly think he's/she's/it's too important a presence to just ditch in a 3rd mainline game. And then you'd have the issue of everyone just comparing the new thing to Monokuma, always having that barometer present no matter what.

DR2 handled itself nicely.

h0tp0ck3t

I could definitely see something like (DR2 Spoilers)
Kazuichi trying to salvage Chiaki's AI and it being corrupted by Junko
happening

Have you read Danganronpa Zero? That prequel novel makes it much clearer how
Junko was able to bring society to its knees, and made me like her as a character a lot more.

How was it explained in Zero? I cant remember a damn thing and in truth
Junko
is as much a part of Danganronpa as Monokuma or Despair.

FluxWaveZ

How was it explained in Zero? I cant remember a damn thing and in truth
Junko
is as much a part of Danganronpa as Monokuma or Despair.

Mainly clears things up in terms of the character's psychology and "real" Ultimate talent.

Even if that character is a fundamental part of Danganronpa,
they are dead. It is weak to keep bringing back a dead character with convoluted reasoning just for the sake of it.

Ace Attorney 1 spoilers:
Manfred von Karma could almost be seen as the one person behind a huge chunk of the events in the first trilogy,
but that series still managed to do the right thing and introduce new and great antagonists after the first game. It didn't need to constantly rely on the first big bad they ever introduced.

So how far off is that Danganronpa livestream? Is there a thread for it?

I think we could use this for the discussion thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1135949

Could make another with links and stuff, but I don't know how necessary that would be. It starts in 8 hours.

Puruzi

Banned
1449007345434hermv.jpg

it's male mikan

FluxWaveZ

He doesn't really look like Mikan to me other than the purple hair. Look at his face.

7EzhsZP.jpg

One notable difference is the confidence he exudes compared to Mikan's perpetual anxiety.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Scans aren't allowed.

FluxWaveZ

Oh, right! Only now do I remember that there was no actual live stream announced for the event. Lame.

Remember the rule about scans, if that is one.

Top Bottom