• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New EGM scores (Burnout 3, Silent Hill 4, VJ PS2, Pikmin 2)

Psymon

SO3 backlash should be nothing compared to fable. this forum makes my brain hurt sometimes.

i'm just saying nothing can stand up to the moronically ridiculous hype being driven in the threads on this board. and even people who didn't get into the hype will backlash just because they're sick of the stupid hype.

Care to elaborate? :)
Is Fable a good - but also a very, very, greatly, massively, very over-hyped game - or an over-hyped not-so-very-good-at-all game?

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
dark10x said:
Well, that's what I'm worried about...

I'm sure the XBOX version will feature 480p support, but hopefully it doesn't end up like Silent Hill 2 on XB and lack some graphical features and polish found on PS2.

What what what? The Xbox version of SH2 smokes the PS2 version graphically. The Xbox version has superior textures and lighting and way better sound.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Fatghost28 said:
What what what? The Xbox version of SH2 smokes the PS2 version graphically. The Xbox version has superior textures and lighting and way better sound.

Absolutely not.

I have done many direct comparisons of the two, and while I can't recall everything, I do remember the main points...

First of all, the textures are virtually the same between the two...but, believe it or not, they are worse on XBOX. Why? Just like MGS2 on XB, they were compressed differently and now exhibit minor artifacts that were not present on PS2. They are washed out in comparison as well. The ONLY difference made to the lighting is the flashlight beam, which is now perpixel. That makes a nice difference, though, and is the one big improvement the XBOX version had (but SH4 has no flashlight, so that won't be an issue). The sound was actually WORSE. While it claimed DD5.1 support, it was nothing more than a logo on the box. It DID support it, but certainly didn't take advantage of it...and the PS2's virtual S-Force did a better job, believe it or not. Not only that, the XB version had sound sync issues present.

What else? Well, for one, the fog was very different on the XBOX...and was no where near as thick. Don't believe me? Go run through the woods at the beginning until you pass the first save point. Enter the gate and you'll have a nice empty background where you can watch the fog. The PS2 version features much more complex fog effects. The XBOX and PC versions both lack this. Of other note, the FMV sequences were much cleaner on PS2 and ran at 60 fps (VERY odd, I know...but they did). The sound was out of sync on XBOX and those videos were 30 fps (and nowhere near as sharp). Why was the speech removed from the rolling demo? Well, the longer an FMV lasted...the more out of sync it would become. It would have been painfully obvious if speech had remained.

There are also minor skipping issues abound, but most people won't notice them.

The PC version also lacks soft shadows.

It isn't a bad port, but it is rather unpolished in comparison. You could try and argue, if you wish...but just as I did with MGS2, my comparisons between the two games were VERY complete and are absolutely correct.

Now, I am simply worried that SH4 will be lacking something on XB. Hopefully not, but you never know...

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
I love how 5 people jumped on ferricides little fable comment - you could almost see them frothing at the possibility of bad impressions

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure review copies of fable are not out, nor has anybody played for longer than 2 hours(which was a few weeks ago). That said, every single impression of the 2 hour gameplay was positive to extrememly positive in the latest previews.

Top Bottom