• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Final Fantasy announced: Final Fantasy Artniks Dive

Ran rp

What is with Japanese character designers and random clumps of erect hair? Seriously. Who started that? Why is it a thing?

Jarnet87

articles don't say anything about who SE forced to be on this awful project. Probably Ito, they had him just sitting around in his office.

So they are sticking FF name to everything now?

Man I remember the old days when an announcement of new FF game create a huge buzz, now it's like a very ordinary thing.

KtSlime

PSY・S;118885964 said:
What is with Japanese character designers and random clumps of erect hair? Seriously. Who started that? Why is it a thing?

It's likely considered charming, and denotes unkempt hair. My guess is these freelancers have it because they aren't pros and can't even take care of themselves properly yet.

So they are sticking FF name to everything now?

Man I remember the old days when an announcement of new FF game create a huge buzz, now it's like a very ordinary thing.

This isn't for you, it's for Japan. They have been sticking the FF name on everything here for decades.

CTLance

Yeah. Exactly what I expected when I saw the thread in the list.

I didn't even feel dread while clicking on this thread to verify my suspicions. You've taught me well, SquEnix.

Man, they really are just shitting hard on the final fantasy name these days. So hard that when they finally released a good one they had to call it bravely default.

KtSlime

Man, they really are just shitting hard on the final fantasy name these days. So hard that when they finally released a good one they had to call it bravely default.

These days? I seem to recall them doing this since the FF8 era up to now, probably even earlier. They have had promotional tie-ins, phone cards, trading cards, disposable plastic figures, a terrible cash-in movie, keitai games, etc. Maybe people just weren't aware of it because they weren't watching everything little thing Square did in Japan.

Sounds like a CAPTCHA.

This GREE game will tell the difference between humans and computers?

Servbot24

Banned
Screenshots look bad, but that aside, why do people get so pissy about mobile titles for a turn-based JRPG? You don't need the quick input of buttons for this genre.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
These days? I seem to recall them doing this since the FF8 era up to now, probably even earlier. They have had promotional tie-ins, phone cards, trading cards, disposable plastic figures, a terrible cash-in movie, keitai games, etc. Maybe people just weren't aware of it because they weren't watching everything little thing Square did in Japan.

More like stuff like this is being made more while actual output for systems like 3DS/Vita and Consoles is drastically reduced.

KtSlime

More like stuff like this is being made more while actual output for systems like 3DS/Vita and Consoles is drastically reduced.

Shouldn't the blame be placed on the console maker then? It was easy to crank out FF games on NES/SNES, but the console makers keep making it harder. They have to find revenue somewhere else, as well as put out something to keep the brand known.

Console makers should really figure out how to make it easier for companies to develop and release games for their consoles.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Shouldn't the blame be placed on the console maker then? It was easy to crank out FF games on NES/SNES, but the console makers keep making it harder. They have to find revenue somewhere else, as well as put out something to keep the brand known.

Console makers should really figure out how to make it easier for companies to develop and release games for their consoles.

It's the console maker's fault for a developer not making products for it right?

KtSlime

It's the console maker's fault for a developer not making products for it right?

I'll give you an analogy, with books.

So Square writes books, nice short stories. About 100 pages, no illustrations, people love them. A few years later the publisher adds the requirement of having pictures, a bunch of them. So Square hires artists. A few years after that the publisher has now decided that Square needs to do full page colour illustrations and include an audio narration of the story. More money is spent as is more time. Now they want 9 out of every 10 pages to be illustrations, all the budget is going to that, the deadlines get pushed back, the story suffers, they have to sell merchandise on the side to make ends meet, and the fans are upset. They all bemoan "Square can't even write a short story these days".

Addendum: Fans waiting for the next short story to come out get all pissy when Square decides to release a short 5 page novella in a magazine. It's okay though, because "The art isn't very good" and "The story won't be very deep".

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'll give you an analogy, with books.

So Square writes books, nice short stories. About 100 pages, no illustrations, people love them. A few years later the publisher adds the requirement of having pictures, a bunch of them. So Square hires artists. A few years after that the publisher has now decided that Square needs to do full page colour illustrations and include an audio narration of the story. More money is spent as is more time. Now they want 9 out of every 10 pages to be illustrations, all the budget is going to that, the deadlines get pushed back, the story suffers, they have to sell merchandise on the side to make ends meet, and the fans are upset. They all bemoan "Square can't even write a short story these days".

The problem with this analogy is that with recent titles Square has trouble executing a story to where it actually makes sense from the beginning to the end. If your analogy is pointing at stipulations that publishers put down for creating products on their system and if Square is incapable of meeting their terms would they not publish their own books for their specific audience or in turn build a platform that supports their content for their needs much like with how Nintendo has their systems for their games that are built from the ground up for Nintendo's needs and not specifically anyone else's?

Top Bottom