• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Florida law lets any resident challenge what’s taught in science classes

You raise your kids to be idiots and then you wonder why they can't get good jobs and blame foreigners and trade deals...

The stupidity on display is baffling.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
It's not. There are loads of people who believe in an Intelligent Designer or any variation of such that says that God was behind evolution. It's not a matter of all or nothing.

Evolution isn't really compatible with the concept of Original Sin, and without Original Sin mainstream Christianity falls apart because it is at the core of it and Jesus' sacrifice is meaningless without it.

"Unbiased hearing officer", huh? Yeah I bet.

Why not just make it so that any Tom, Dick, or Harry can create an accredited "school" for their bullshit instead of wasting multiple people's time and money.

Scott obviously wants this to erode away any teaching of evolution but it opens the door for people who want to talk about how "the earth is flat" or worse how "black people aren't actually human" or "pre-teens are biologically fit sexual partners and developed enough to wed adults". Lots of ideas that aren't just wrong but cross into disturbing or sick start to flourish when you throw out science.

caliph95

"Unbiased hearing officer", huh? Yeah I bet.

Why not just make it so that any Tom, Dick, or Harry can create an accredited "school" for their bullshit instead of wasting multiple people's time and money.
Seriously what would be considered "unbiasd" also why one aren't you giving him too much power with one what's stopping him being "biased"

Joni

I'll never understand why it's always evolution or creationism. Why can't it be both? What would've prevented God (or your deity of choice) from starting out small and building up via evolution?

Because creationism implies young-earth creationism. The Catholic Church believes in evolution, set into motion by God, with the 6 day creation story not being 6 human days. A lot of the mainstream branches do. It is just that America is stuck with Evangelical Christians and the likes.

Evolution isn't really compatible with the concept of Original Sin, and without Original Sin mainstream Christianity falls apart because it is at the core of it and Jesus' sacrifice is meaningless without it.

Original sin is quite a different beast between branches of mainstream Christianity. Original sin is lot more pronounced in protestanism than Catholicism. Original Sin for a protestant is a sin that you carry personally, for a Catholic Original sin caused man to become man but only Adam was guilty.

Apathy

Every once in a while other States try to go for the championship for worst state, and while their efforts are valiant, Florida wakes up and defends their title in only a way they can.

I am totally sure this will not hinder students' ability to actually learn science in the classroom...

What's US's ranking when it comes to science education compared to the rest of the world? Because I am sure this will cause it to drop some more.

ascii42

I went to a Catholic school in Florida and we learned about evolution and stuff, and not in a dismissive way. If public schools can't manage that then I don't know what to say. If you want your kids to learn about creationism, take them to Sunday School. Or a private school.

jchap

This law should require submission of a refuting manuscript to initiate a challenge. Add even the slightest effort barrier and butt hurt parents won't do shit. If parents did submit such a manuscript it could be posted online for a sensible chuckle. Everyone wins.

ascii42

The bit about removal of library books reminds me of the best thing written by Harper Lee. Her response to a school board banning To Kill a Mockingbird
Editor, The News Leader:

Recently I have received echoes down this way of the Hanover County School Board's activities, and what I've heard makes me wonder if any of its members can read.

Surely it is plain to the simplest intelligence that "To Kill a Mockingbird" spells out in words of seldom more than two syllables a code of honor and conduct, Christian in its ethic, that is the heritage of all Southerners. To hear that the novel is "immoral" has made me count the years between now and 1984, for I have yet to come across a better example of doublethink.

I feel, however, that the problem is one of illiteracy, not Marxism. Therefore I enclose a small contribution to the Beadle Bumble Fund that I hope will be used to enroll the Hanover County School Board in any first grade of its choice.

Harper Lee

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Well they'll have trouble ignoring global warming when Florida starts disappearing under the waves.

WillyFive

The school should be a safe harbor from the dogma and misinformation children are exposed to in their homes and streets, this bill will ruin this.

Some people really love magic. To be fair, Science is fucking hard work to keep up with.

Zeus was once a God that people believed in. They created laws and society around him. So if Science is ever going to win over minds, we will have to wait until the new wave of Gods also die off, if they ever do. Humans really love this shit. We die for this shit. Passing laws to promote your faith is nothing new.

I am kinda shocked no one has yet to declare themselves the Science Pope and try to spiritualize the shit out of it. I guess a religion where questions are encouraged would not last anyway.

Koren

for a Catholic Original sin caused man to become man but only Adam was guilty.
That's not what I was taught... Maybe Adam was the only one guilty, but all humans carry the sin. Or it wouldn't even make sense to have an exception for Mary, "conceived without sin" so that she could carry Jesus.

(I'm not catholic anymore, I probably haven't ever really been, but I spend (too much) time with this kind of stuff when I was young)

So... does this law even mention how you determine if someone is actually "unbiased" or not (as in, what factors/guidelines they're supposed to use in making that decision)? Cause I'm gonna go ahead and guess they left that part out for some reason...

Also, fuck Rick Scott and fuck the GOP.

Kimawolf

It has come down to: republicans want to destroy the world. It's probably true.
Or: republicans are way less intelligent. It's one of the two.
No. Republicans weaponize ignorance and use it to keep their voters. Most of them don't believe this crap. The other problem is young people don't give a fuck and dont vote.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
giphy.gif

Seriously what would be considered "unbiasd" also why one aren't you giving him too much power with one what's stopping him being "biased"

I mean, would an atheist count as unbiased by Scott's standards? Seems like unbiased will mean, white Christian male as it always seems to with this kind of shit. Somehow if you're white, religious and a guy, you're considered to be default and have no stakes in the outcome of major cultural and social considerations.

Isn't this the same party that constantly fearmongers over sharia law? Sound like they are doing their own version.

There's zero self-awareness among Evangelicals. They consider their religion the one true one that every human is duty bound to live by and every nation is obligated to govern by. But to them somehow that doesn't sound anything like the extremist Muslim ideologies they spend all their time fear mongering. Even if you were to sit them down and break down literally how if they just replaced Christian with Muslim for every instance of their backward ideals, they'd just say "Well Christianity is different" as their only response.

BigDes

So... does this law even mention how you determine if someone is actually "unbiased" or not (as in, what factors/guidelines they're supposed to use in making that decision)? Cause I'm gonna go ahead and guess they left that part out for some reason...

Also, fuck Rick Scott and fuck the GOP.

"Do you believe that the Lord God sent his only son down to die specifically for America?"
"No"
"Too biased, not suitable"

I'm not sure if it's only Florida, or only the Republican parts of America, but sth. about these kinds of news definitely makes it seem like many Americans are incredibly stupid :/

The worst thing is that in most cases Florida actually ranks fairly high in most studies (especially ones that take into account higher education and financial aid availability) in comparison to neighboring states which are honestly a dumpster fire.

The last 2 decades of Republic governors and lawmakers have been doing a damn good job dragging the bar back down to be in line with other parts of the South.

Shadybiz

Okay...so now we're going to be disputing science based on "feelings." Great.

The bit about removal of library books reminds me of the best thing written by Harper Lee. Her response to a school board banning To Kill a Mockingbird

Never knew that; that is pretty great!

Somnid

So by "unbiased" I'd hope they mean they will require evidence and experimental repeatability to come with every claim.

Aurongel

A world where public school curriculums are dictated by feelings and not evidence, what a world. If parents truly want their children to adhere to religion and not science then they should just opt for private school. I wouldn't want the ideology of other dipshit parents dictating the direction of publicly funded education.

Top Bottom