• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Games with Gold for February 2023 Revealed

Draugoth

Gold Member
457893_16x9_4UP_Points_01-c34ba44c410ab4e3bb81.jpg

Make it your gooooaaaallll to have fun with two great February Games with Gold! On Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S, answer the call to adventure in For the King and then play soccer in a completely unexpected way in Guts N Goals.

Xbox Live Gold members will have exclusive access to these games for a limited time as part of Games with Gold. So will Xbox Game Pass Ultimate members, who receive all the fantastic benefits of Gold plus access to hundreds of high-quality games with Xbox Game Pass.

For the King

The King has been murdered and the kingdom is in chaos. It’s up to you and your makeshift band to help save the land. Play single-player, local, or online coop and choose to stick together or split your party to cover more ground. Battle in fast and brutal turn-based combat using your unique skills. Survive cunning enemies, hidden traps, and wicked weather as you fight and explore to solve the mystery of the king’s murder and restore order to the realm.

Guts N Goals

Play the world’s greatest game turned on its head and on a skating rink or the beach! Gut N Goals is an arcade-style soccer game where you get to beat up your friends as you try to score. Get your bat and get smack-tastic in multiple crazy stadiums each with their own unique mechanics. Try out lots of fun mini-games. Watch out for penalties…oh wait, there are no penalty cards! Go nuts! Choose from over 30 heroes with character skills and keep on your toes because random mutators can change the way you play at any time.

Read more about our Games with Gold program here and stay tuned to Xbox Wire for all the latest news on Xbox. Like we said before, if you’re an Xbox Game Pass Ultimate member, you get all the benefits of Xbox Live Gold, hundreds of high-quality games you can play on console, PC, and across devices from the cloud, and access to EA Play at no extra cost. New games are added all the time, so you’re never without something new to try when you’re looking to find your next favorite game. If you’re new, or if you’re an existing Xbox Live Gold and Xbox Game Pass for Console member, join or upgrade today for just $1.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Is this the record for the most "who is actually still paying for this" month?

Jennings

I'd have to go double check if it was on my old Xbox One X or my Series X, but For the King ran like absolute ass last time I played it on console. I just don't recall when I last played it. Besides that I've heard solid things about the actual game.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
If this weren't part of my Game Pass Ultimate subscription, I would have ditched it several months ago. I guess they must kinda know that there are tons of people out there like me who have given up thinking this will ever be anything good again.

If more people stopped paying for it then maybe they would listen to “feedback”

It’s clear they want more people over to Gamepass so the investment is overwhelmingly there on that side.

Personally I’m tired of this constant subscription service narrative. They might as well remove the Xbox name and just go all out on the Gamepass brand . For what they claimed is optional, it’s the dominant focus in their narrative/marketing. .

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
If more people stopped paying for it then maybe they would listen to “feedback”

It’s clear they want more people over to Gamepass so the investment is overwhelmingly there on that side.

Personally I’m tired of this constant subscription service narrative. They might as well remove the Xbox name and just go all out on the Gamepass brand . For what they claimed is optional, it’s the dominant focus in their narrative/marketing. .
I agree, but...

Lots of people don't want Game Pass. I'd say the overwhelming majority of people that still subscribe to Gold (but not Game Pass Ultimate) are people who ONLY care about the ability to play online multiplayer. These "bonus" games are definitely an afterthought, since Microsoft wants to make Game Pass look like an even better proposition to people that don't have it.

The sad part is that online multiplayer is free on PC (even for Xbox games, even for cross play games), so at this point the only reason they're charging people for Gold is to gouge them. These "free" games are just a way for them to distract people from the fact that they're paying for something that should already be free.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Major Nelson really digging in the bargain bin, and drilled a hole at the bottom of the bin to dig even lower.

Last edited:

jshackles

For the King - the lowest historical Xbox price is $6.24, which it is discounted to in the weekly sale (on average) once every 7 weeks. It was also given away for free (no subscription required) on the Epic Games Store.

Guts N Goals isn't as frequently discounted, but it has gone down to $5.99 in the past.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you often shopped around for the best deal, and you actually WANTED these games, you could have bought them (and owned them forever) for $12.23 instead of paying $9.99 a month.

For the King - the lowest historical Xbox price is $6.24, which it is discounted to in the weekly sale (on average) once every 7 weeks. It was also given away for free (no subscription required) on the Epic Games Store.

Guts N Goals isn't as frequently discounted, but it has gone down to $5.99 in the past.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you often shopped around for the best deal, and you actually WANTED these games, you could have bought them (and owned them forever) for $12.23 instead of paying $9.99 a month.
I'm not sure this is the worst month ever for Xbox Live Gold, but is definitely up there. (Top 3? Top 5?). At this point if you pay the monthly fee for good and have not upgraded to Gamepass ultimate you are absolutely getting screwed

sainraja

Microsoft could easily switch the Gold benefit from this to two game credits every month (use 'em or lose 'em), where a subscriber gets to redeem the credits towards a game of their choice to keep from the Game Pass library of games. Make that a perk of the highest tier of Game Pass. It does not have to be so irrelevant. They should pivot and try to get more GPU subs!

Last edited:

Bridges

Yeah everyone just wants to come in and shit on GwG every month (deservedly so), but For The King is actually great, don't sleep on it

Top Bottom