• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New info on Google Pixel 2: You're not gonna like it...

Skytylz

Banned
I just got a Samsung S8 from work. And while it's nice, I feel like I'm going to drop the thing constantly. Just feels horrible in the hand. Still interested in the Pixel 2 for my personal phone. Don't care about waterproofing if I like the rest of the features. Just have to wait and see I guess.

You are insane. The S8 feels great in the hand. Best feeling phone I've held. Skipping it because of samsung software though. Not worth it.

Looks like I'll be keeping my 18-month-old phone, with its ancient horse-and-buggy headphone jack, awful terrible bezels, and stone age non-curved screen, for the foreseeable future. It still seems practically new to me, anyway.

Another uninspired product by Google? Shocking. I feel like they're not even trying anymore. I'd never pick this over an S8 or the upcoming iPhone.

Codeblue

Phones are largely media consumption devices now. Dual, front-firing speakers is a godsend. My Moto X Pure Edition speakers sound far better than the speakers on my friends' Galaxy S8 or iPhone devices because they're at the front. Hell, I've used it as my car stereo since mine is broken and it works just fine. I also use it to listen to music while I'm in the shower.

Dropping the headphone jack is really dumb though. I have bluetooth headphones, so this doesn't really affect me, but I'd still like to have a headphone jack so I don't have to worry.

I mean, you can just use the headphone jack to plug in some cheap speakers that are probably way better than anything they're going to cram into this phone.

jwk94

I mean, you can just use the headphone jack to plug in some cheap speakers that are probably way better than anything they're going to cram into this phone.

I'd rather not have to buy/carry around another device. That's one of the reasons I wouldn't want to use the Moto Mod speakers for the Z series of phones. Yeah, the option is there, but that's just another thing I have to remember.

Hylian7

It's not. USB audio and Bluetooth 5 are both extremely new and so there's a gap to cross, but they represent a boon for hardware makers, headphone makers and audiophiles as well as most flagships are dropping headphone ports so there's no stopping this train. Find your peace soon.

Seeing how they're not going to put a USB port on a phone, they still need some kind of wired solution. There's still no reason to drop 3.5 support. I don't understand why you're defending it.

andthebeatgoeson

I'll be interested if it does have waterproofing. I have a pixel XL but was hoping the pixel 2 would be a big leap forward. One of my old phones was in my pocket during a water ride and it seemed to be worse after getting doused.

The correct pixel has some water proofing that may already tolerate a rain storm or a water ride but I've dropped all of my phones and i still use them in the bathroom. A premium phone should have waterproofing.

The headphone jack is just weird. The enthusiast community seems to be indifferent or hating it but all companies seem to be moving towards it. I prefer to keep it but all the big companies seem intent on discarding it. I don't use my phone to listen to headphones and charge at the same time, so i assume some solution will not really impact me.

Someone asked why people bought the pixel: i got tired of the update schedules of other phones on Verizon. I'm not changing Verizon because of their coverage and i don't see a lot of difference between a $500 and a $900 phone, value wise. So I'll stick to Google phones. It's more of 'fool me once' type of thing after my S3 and Motorola Droid turbo experience.

But i agree, they need to make this feature complete for me to buy again within a year. Maybe more time to see Samsung do well and i could wait until 2018 for the S9 or the pixel 3.

Arttemis

People are putting far too much faith into the syrup website's rumor story. The thread title really should have RUMOR at the beginning.

Also, neither will have waterproofing.

This settles it. Definitely going for iPhone 8 now. It was a nice few years with Android. My god, is a well-designed waterproof phone with Google tuned software too much to ask?

http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/06/26/pixel-2-detials-smartphone-android-google/

Taimen, the device that will likely succeed the Pixel XL, will feature a 5.99-inch screen with 1440p OLED panel sourced from LG (according to Android Police, Google had planned to release three Pixel smartphones this year, but had scrapped one of them, “Muskie,” partway through development).

THEY SCRAPPED ME?!

WELL, FUCK YOU TOO, GOOGLE!

Somnid

Seeing how they're not going to put a USB port on a phone, they still need some kind of wired solution. There's still no reason to drop 3.5 support. I don't understand why you're defending it.

100% of phones have USB ports. Virtually all that that have dropped headphone ports support USB 3.1 with a type-C connector (except Apple because Apple). It's not a matter of "no reason" to drop it, it has been dropped and will continue to be. You may not care for the interim, but that is the reality of it.

reKon

Banned
Walleye is useless. Why did they make this? lmao

And watch them charge $600.

They better be giving away a year of google/youtube red music and keep that unlimited photo storage...

jwk94

I can customize software, but underwhelming hardware cannot be changed.

Wireless charging, microsd, waterproof, and nicer/larger screens are way more important to me than having stock Android.

Agreed. stock android is really, really borng and feature anemic. I think Moto does stock android the best because of the Moto Actions.

Google can go fuck themselves. There are no excuses to not having a headphone jack ever. It's just a cost cutting effort while still charging a lot of money for their phones. Sign me up on the One plus team if I ever replace my Nexus 6p. I guess they are the only company to have stock android and still respect people wishes(Samsung can shove that bloated touchwiz up their ass).

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Everyone is getting dragged kicking and screaming into a wireless audio future courtesy of Apple. Only a matter of time until Samsung follows suit.

RIP 3.5 mm

Enforcing wireless audio is a fucking joke. Surely like over 99% of all owned headphones are still 3.5mm, From the cheapest pack-ins to the fancy customs.

I'm not replacing them just so Google/Apple can charge more for a marginally thinner phone with a second speaker (in this case) that I couldn't give less of a shit about.

SxP

Last year there was a lot of talk about Google didn't have enough time to create the hardware they wanted and that this year was going to be much better. And now they come up with... this? Get out of here.

Last year there was a lot of talk about Google didn't have enough time to create the hardware they wanted and that this year was going to be much better. And now they come up with... this? Get out of here.
Yeah, pretty much my thoughts as well.

Yeah, really hope this rumor is just that: a rumor.

Otherwise, I'm at a lost.

Audioboxer

You are insane. The S8 feels great in the hand. Best feeling phone I've held. Skipping it because of samsung software though. Not worth it.

Samsung software and a lack of development sources (outside of kernel) is what is making me want to drop Samsung completely when my S6 contract finishes in 2 months.

AOSP is usually an utter dumpster fire on the Sx phones (or any Samsung variant). Exynos closed source processors. Dev communities sometimes reverse engineer to get AOSP up and running, but often it's with hacky solutions and ends up with a lot of bugs. AOSP just got to a reasonably stable state on the S6 but hardly any devs are working on it now with it being an old phone and it's still laggy/buggy.

Samsung official support is dreadful once 1 year passes, and take the S6, for example, it only recently just got Nougat. 7.0 at that, not even fully up to date. They (Samsung) do not help themselves releasing 8,000 variants of each of their flagship handsets.

I might see what the S8 dev community is like over on XDA, but I may need to start looking at what my other AMOLED screen options are (besides Google, because the Pixel 2 is a no go with no headphone jack). The Pixel 1 could be an option, so I'll see. The OnePlus 5 will be an option. Sony is bust due to LCD, I refuse to go back to the risks of light bleed on a phone screen. AMOLED is far superior.

For those asking, yes, waterproofing matters. Certainly my most wanted feature. I used my Nexus 5X in the rain last year only for a few seconds only for it to eventually die on me. Since then I have learned from my mistake with the Pixel, and been super careful with it (and it still works great as a result) but even so, in 2017 that is just not something I should have to think about, especially when other phones have this feature.

tbm24

The Idea of the Pixel 2 almost made me hold off on the S8. Looks like I made the right call to jump on the S8 instead.

NFC has been a thing for a long time and Apple are dicks for not supporting it on the iPhone, instead opting to reserve it for their own products instead of conforming to the industry standard.

And I say this as an iPhone owner with a 400 USD wireless headset.
They are opening NFC for developers in iOS 11 though, about time.

Engell

I was wondering what people were talking about when they say "bezel" and them being too large... had to google it...

pixel-bezel-alrge.jpg

This is a bad thing? What, really??

my alien hands wants to do dirty things to the LG v30 when it comes out
and my ears will tingle with delight from that luxurious 3,5mm headphone jack with a true hifi DAC behind it

C'mon Google, if you really want this to be Android's iPhone, you got to at least have water resistance

Also, please have dual speakers on the XL model. The nexus 6p had it! And if google doesn't make at least the Pixel XL 2 near bezel-less, like the iPhone 8/G6/S8, they will be laughed at.

Unless, Google wants to follow Apple's footsteps and make this an 'S' year?

reKon

Banned
Google since you don't give a shit about anything, just make a Pixel C 2 for the fun of it and not make it $800. Thanks.

C'mon Google, if you really want this to be Android's iPhone, you got to at least have water resistance (guys, phones aren't water proof...yet).

Also, please have dual speakers on the XL model. The nexus 6p had it! And if google doesn't make at least the Pixel XL 2 near bezel-less, like the iPhone 8/G6/S8, they will be laughed at.

Unless, Google wants to follow Apple's footsteps and make this an 'S' year?

http://www.xperiablog.net/2014/08/1...on-the-sea-bed-remains-in-full-working-order/

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
My Nexus 6 has stereo speaker and a headphone jack... Why should I pay double the price for a down grade?

Cake Boss

Banned
The Google Pixel audio is already shit so you double down on it with more speakers? The fuck is you doing Google.

I'll stick to my mini Pixel for another 2 years, hopefully there are better stock android options.

Or maybe OnePlus Nine X,S or + or whatever will do the job.

Top Bottom