• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Info on PS4s Noise Level, Power Consumption, Media Performance etc

driver116

This information was provided by Masayasu Ito, Sony Computer Entertainment Japan and Asia Senior Vice president and Director of Business Unit 1 - that's a long job title :D

• While being always online is not necessary, a network connection is important to fully enjoy the features of the PS4.
  • The PS4 will initially act as a stand-alone web server for the PlayStation App. In the future there’s the possibility of this to be expanded through the cloud, with the PS4 and PlayStation App interacting through the cloud, allowing cooperative play between multiple players.
  • The secondary chip for ultra-low power operation will mostly activate at night from 1 to 4 AM and download any required update automatically. It will also activate when software is purchased through external means like the PlayStation App.
  • Power consumption will vary greatly depending on the performance of the game played.
  • The noise level of the console during operation is generally much smaller than it was on the PS3.
  • The PS4′s cooling fan has a low noise level and stepless speed control (meaning that it will increase its speed to match heat smoothly and not in sudden steps like the one on the PS3).
  • Since the Blu-Ray player is 6x instead of 2x in speed (like the one on the PS3 was) the initial spinning noise is actually louder, but that will be countered by using the hard disk drive.
  • The Audio/Video performance (for movies and music) of the PS4 will target PS3 levels at launch, but will be improved through updates, for instance with the addition of 4K, as Sony is also an Audio/Video company.
  • The theme of the PS4 is “Personalization”, meaning that it will offer an experience tailored to each individual.
Via Dualshockers
AV Watch (Source)

Tsundere

Banned
  • The noise level of the console during operation is generally much smaller than it was on the PS3.
  • The PS4′s cooling fan has a low noise level and stepless speed control (meaning that it will increase its speed to match heat smoothly and not in sudden steps like the one on the PS3).

These were the points that stood out to me, a stepless speed control is a great addition.

komplanen

So an internal PSU, much smaller then the bone and still quiet? Bravo Sony.

If there won't be any complications after launch like over-heating or loud PS4's then the size difference is ridiculous and MS should just start working on a smaller console.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The PS4′s cooling fan has a low noise level and stepless speed control (meaning that it will increase its speed to match heat smoothly and not in sudden steps like the one on the PS3).

This pleases me.

artist

Banned
The secondary chip for ultra-low power operation will mostly activate at night from 1 to 4 AM and download any required update automatically. It will also activate when software is purchased through external means like the PlayStation App.
I hope this is configurable in the settings. Good info.

Great info!

Unexpected Plus for me: "The theme of the PS4 is “Personalization”, meaning that it will offer an experience tailored to each individual."

- That was something that I hated about my 360 - the complete lack of control over what I had on my dashboard and how items were served up.

kadotsu

Banned
I hope the low power state doesn't require any fan activation or I'll have to turn it off because I keep my consoles in the room that I sleep in.

nib95

Banned
Quieter than the PS3 + step-less fan control, coupled with compact and sleek looking enclosure and internal PSU? Good job Sony.

I wonder if you can change the background downloading times. My bandwidth is unmetered from 2-8am so everything downloading at 1am is not optimal.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The secondary chip for ultra-low power operation will mostly activate at night from 1 to 4 AM and download any required update automatically. It will also activate when software is purchased through external means like the PlayStation App

That's pretty awesome. So long, updating time.

I don't get the audio/video performance bit, I think they mean playback capabilities in terms of supported media types rather then how well it plays stuff, or do you guys have issues with media performance?

Since the Blu-Ray player is 6x instead of 2x in speed (like the one on the PS3 was) the initial spinning noise is actually louder, but that will be countered by using the hard disk drive.

Did no one see this?!?

We need more info on this. If the Blu-Ray is actually playing movies or games not needed on the hard drive will it be louder? That doesn't sound like a plus.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Great info!

Unexpected Plus for me: "The theme of the PS4 is “Personalization”, meaning that it will offer an experience tailored to each individual."

- That was something that I hated about my 360 - the complete lack of control over what I had on my dashboard and how items were served up.

The only theme of the 360's dashboard was "ads."

Noise level is nice news :)

The PS4 will initially act as a stand-alone web server for the PlayStation App. In the future there’s the possibility of this to be expanded through the cloud, with the PS4 and PlayStation App interacting through the cloud, allowing cooperative play between multiple players.
Well that certainly doesn't make me optimistic of Sony's cloud infrastructure.

Superman

I wonder if you can change the background downloading times. My bandwidth is unmetered from 2-8am so everything downloading at 1am is not optimal.

I'd imagine as you can with PS+ on Vita & PS3 with automatic updates, one would assume you can do the same with the PS4.
Hopefully

Being quieter than a jet engine isn't saying much :p System noise typically doesn't bother me anyway.

Yeah...which PS3 model are they talking about is the pertinent question as each iteration has different noise levels.

EDIT: And use of the word "generally" is a little worrisome. Generally it is more quiet...but during hard operation, maybe not so much? Interesting choice of words.

Since the Blu-Ray player is 6x instead of 2x in speed (like the one on the PS3 was) the initial spinning noise is actually louder, but that will be countered by using the hard disk drive.
I can't remember, did they say every game will have an install process?

PSGames

If there won't be any complications after launch like over-heating or loud PS4's then the size difference is ridiculous and MS should just start working on a smaller console.

Either MS were just too cheap or MS intentionally made it huge so they could more easily hawk an updated 'slim' version later and garner more sales. That's the MS we've been dealing with nowadays.

Yeah...which PS3 model are they talking about is the pertinent question as each iteration has different noise levels.

EDIT: And use of the word "generally" is a little worrisome. Generally it is more quiet...but during hard operation, maybe not so much? Interesting choice of words.

Umm i have a ps3 launch model and it isnt loud at all...

Did no one see this?!?

We need more info on this. If the Blu-Ray is actually playing movies or games not needed on the hard drive will it be louder? That doesn't sound like a plus.

Faster drive is louder? Shocking news. The constant caching of games to the hdd will limit the amount of time the drive is actually used.

Noise level is nice news :)

Well that certainly doesn't make me optimistic of Sony's cloud infrastructure.

And why not? What cloud features should have been there day one to garner your confidence? Gaikai is releasing next year. We've yet to see the cloud vision in its entirety.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Less noisy than which PS3 though? The launch unit would start off pretty silent buy after 15-20 minutes of game playing would get quite loud. Last revision of slim (before they introduced super-slim) was much less noisy in general.

It won't be louder when playing movies, as movies require 1x speed, in which drives are near silent. It will be louder while installing the game, but then after that I think drive won't be used at all.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Did no one see this?!?

I'd be hopeful that when playing movies it won't be spinning any faster than it needs to - i.e. you won't get the full whack of its speed/noise.

When it is at full whack it will be louder than PS3's drive. So maybe during initial installs or caching (?)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
for the BD drive, I hope it only ever needs to spin up to validate a disc, and spins down as soon as it has done that. (Ideally it won't even spin up the disc if you haven't ejected it since your last session).

Hoo-doo

Banned
They are not going to support .mkv, none of the consoles probably ever will.

People should get over this fact. Use PS3 media server to stream them, otherwise, you're out of luck.

Top Bottom