• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Japanese trademarks from Sega (Shenmue), Sony, Square Enix and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxa

They were friends during the xbox era as well and shenmue 2 still was xbox and dc exclusive. This means nothing. If it happens itll be on xbone. Business is business, friendship has nothing to do with it. Unless Cernys gonna personally drop millions in front of Suzuki, it dont mean a thing.

Why? Shenmue did really well in the west. Didnt it do better in the west than in Japan?

suzuki will always choose the best hardware

KingJ2002

Here's hoping they reboot the series.

12 years later... no point to release shenmue 3 and act like people will remember the story well.

ajim

It really doesn't mean much. It's probably a lot more telling that Sega of America lost the trademark earlier this year because they weren't doing anything with it.

Another example would be Skies of Arcadia. Sega filed a trademark for it back in 2012 and we haven't seen anything come from that. No remasters, no sequels. Nothing.
yeah thought so.

keeping my expectations realistic again.

decae

Neo Member
FWIW Japanese commenters on the linked site are thinking 'Otoiine' may be an audio streaming service similar to Nasne.

Namikaze

Does a Shenmue revival really have a chance of happening? After the fake Valkyria Chronicles news, my heart can't take any more disappointment.
lol

Zalman

I feel that if Shenmue 3 is a real thing, then it's probably multiplat and cross-gen. That's the only way to reach decent sales.

I could see it being a focus at Microsoft's show though.

IrishNinja

why are people seriously discussing which platform it could go to

it doesn't matter

whichever one it ends up, we buy that one, done deal

Should people get their hopes up?

mHM3DMk.gif

Abriael

Banned
I hate to be "that guy" but the Shenmue trademark is just a renewal (by Japanese trademark law after 10 years you need to get a new serial number and the latest registration was in 2004). Basically, it means nothing.

Abriael

Banned
They let the trademark lapse. Let that sink in for a second or two, and you'll realize if they gave a damn about their franchise, the last thing they'd do is ignore it.

They didn't let it lapse. They were denied renewal because US trademark law dictates that if you don't use a trademark you lose it.

USDF

Banned
I hate to be "that guy" but the Shenmue trademark is just a renewal (by Japanese trademark law after 10 years you need to get a new serial number and the latest registration was in 2004). Basically, it means nothing.

Damn you ............... daaaaaaammmmmmmmnnnnn you :(

They let the trademark lapse. Let that sink in for a second or two, and you'll realize if they gave a damn about their franchise, the last thing they'd do is ignore it.

It's SEGA. I don’t doubt that they don’t give a shit about Shenmue, but they were never gonna do anything with it. It’s all about someone else coming in to snap it up.

Tenck

They didn't let it lapse. They were denied renewal because US trademark law dictates that if you don't use a trademark you lose it.

Since they weren't planning on using it, they could have filed for declaration of excusable nonuse in time. You don't let something like that get by you if you're series about it.

It's SEGA. I don’t doubt that they don’t give a shit about Shenmue, but they were never gonna do anything with it. It’s all about someone else coming in to snap it up.

But Sega Japan is the one that holds the cards. If they're renewing the trademark, then they aren't giving it up to anyone.

Abriael

Banned
Since they weren't planning on using it, they could have filed for declaration of excusable nonuse in time. You don't let something like that get by you if you're series about it.

AFAIK they did. It was denied, because they didn't have grounds for it.

Suzzopher

I can see it now, Spencer is about to close the media briefing, then Yu Suzuki and Mark Cerny come out, Gaf crashes and twitter falls down never to return. The ultimate betrayal as the father of PS4 confirms that Cerny Games are producing Shenmue 3 and being bank rolled by Microsoft.

Felensis

Banned
At least this means that Sega still has somehow interest in Shenmue. If they really wouldn't give a fuck about the series whether it might be a Shenmue 1 & 2 HD collection or Shenmue 3 they wouldn't renew the IP.

When I say snap it up I'm not talking about developing it, I'm talking about funding it for SEGA so someone gets an exclusive.

But that doesn't explain why Sega of America would let the trademark slip. That happened in February. Wouldn't they renew it if someone were looking to fund it? They even renewed the Skies of Arcadia trademark in 2012 and they haven't done anything with it since the Gamecube re-release.

Ylyon

Neo Member
by the way, from a few days the shenmue.com website is down. It had never happened before, no? I'm pretty sure a couple weeks ago it was still working (yes, I check it from time to time)

eXistor

I never wanna get too excited over things like this (they're rarely true), but if I do think we're closer to a new Shenmue than we've ever been. If it doesn't get announced soon-ish, I doubt we'll ever get it. Then of course there's the question of what "it" is. Tbh, anything less than a true Shenmue 3 would be insulting. I don't want a stripped-down, downloadable episodic Shenmue.

But that doesn't explain why Sega of America would let the trademark slip. That happened in February. Wouldn't they renew it if someone were looking to fund it? They even renewed the Skies of Arcadia trademark in 2012 and they haven't done anything with it since the Gamecube re-release.

Honestly, who knows? SEGA is....weird. Perhaps something happened at GDC? I'm pretty sure Yu Suzuki was looking around for developers to help fund Shenmue at GDC.

by the way, from a few days the shenmue.com website is down. It had never happened before, no? I'm pretty sure a couple weeks ago it was still working (yes, I check it from time to time)

4Cvfa.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom