• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Mario Kart 8 Deluxe gameplay

Kikorin

You can't understand how much disappointed I was when I discovered Wii U gamepad range wasn't enough to play in bathroom, I was already dreaming to play the best MK ever there.

Finally this will be real, already preordered. Also, I played tons of hours in regular cups, but never tried much all' the DLC circuits, so I'm super hyped!

Is confirmed you'll can still play two players split screen online vs others players?

Also all courses, characters, etc., are unlocked from the beginning now.

But not the numerous vehicle parts which still require picking up coins.

You can now break while drifting.

You already could on the Wii U version.

Are there battle mode options such as disabled time limit, cpu, etc?

They're the same as the Wii U version. Time limit can be modified but not disabled. CPU difficulty can be modified, and CPU can be disabled.

jwillenn

Great! Now I just need that "50% Off For MK8 Owners" announcement, and I'll be ready to get it after I finish Persona 5.

Robin64

Is confirmed you'll can still play two players split screen online vs others players?

Sure is.

p2tVqMA.png

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
It was 59fps ;) I.e., there was a doubled frame each 62(?) frames or so due to AI updates and stuff. Was a bit distracting once you noticed it. Thankfully, that's not the case anymore. Also, it's now 1080p instead of 720p.

Oooh, that's great to hear - has it been confirmed, do you have a source?

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
So firstly it obviously looks nicer, runs nicer, is 1080p as opposed to 720p, has all the DLC from the WiiU game included, etc. Also all courses, characters, etc., are unlocked from the beginning now.

New Characters:
-Inkling Boy (Splatoon)
-Inkling Girl (Splatoon)
-King Boo
-Dry Bones
-Bowser Jr.
-Gold Mario

You now can carry two items rather than just one, there's also some new items though I don't think all of them have been named/revealed. I know Boo and the Feather are in the game, and I recall there was new items you could see in a Japanese presentation for the game.

I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure the overview trailer said these items are only available in Battle Mode.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure the overview trailer said these items are only available in Battle Mode.

Feather is Battle Mode only, Boo is for Race & Battle Mode. There's other new items I know, but I don't know the full deal of the rest of them.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I don't know if it's mentioned in any of the previews but this version also has wired LAN support, just like Splatoon 2.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Feather is the only item locked to Battle Mode.
Boo is available for both races and battle.

OK. That's good to know. I suppose the feather could break some of the race tracks.

ZeoVGM

Banned
So excited that they brought Shine Runners back.

But where the hell is Mission Mode? They introduced it in Mario Kart DS and dropped it immediately after. It was a great addition and finally gave players a new single player mode -- complete with boss fights.

That needs to come back in MK9/Smash Kart/whatever.

But where the hell is Mission Mode? They introduced it in Mario Kart DS and dropped it immediately after. It was a great addition and finally gave players a new single player mode -- complete with boss fights.

That needs to come back in MK9/Smash Kart/whatever.

It returned in Mario Kart Wii with about 50 online-only tournaments with leaderboards.
https://www.mariowiki.com/List_of_Mario_Kart_Wii_tournaments

It's from Mario Kart 7 onwards that these missions were dropped altogether.

deleted

They're the same as the Wii U version. Time limit can be modified but not disabled. CPU difficulty can be modified, and CPU can be disabled.

This is almost a deal breaker for me. How could they not add a mode that was pretty much essential for way over a decade while 'fixing' the battle mode?

AND not including Block Fort... I just don't get it.

I just hope the battle modes that are there play fantastic and the stages are as fun as the best in the series.

BTW: In this thread, there's talk about 8 players local - that doesn't mean 8 players splitscreen, right? Just 8 Switches playing together? And is it 12 players max then with 4 Switches having 2 players each?

Bluth54

This game was already a 10/10, this is kind of insane.

I'm not sure how anyone could think the Wii U version was perfect with its shitty battle mode.
Thankfully it looks like they corrected that though block fort should of been a returning stage.

ASIS

Can you do 5 multiplayer with 4 players sharing the big screen and one more playing a separate undocked switch unit?

Bgamer90

Banned
I had Mario Kart 8 for the Wii U but sold it a few months back for this. This looks like a worthy ".5" upgrade and I can't wait to get this as a huge Mario Kart fan and someone that really loves the Nintendo Switch.

ramparter

Banned
So embargo just lifted for final previews. Here's mine (Spanish) along with 4 direct-feed 1080p60 gameplay clips:

https://www.gamereactor.es/avances/390803/12+cosas+que+(quiza)+no+sabias+de+Mario+Kart+8+Deluxe/

Game looks beautiful and smooth. A few things I noticed were the new pink drifting boost (if you hold after blue and red), the new 200cc Time Attack mode or the faster loading times (took 9 secs instead of 13 to load Egg Cup). And new battle modes are neat. Will share more when it's up, but ask if in doubt :)

I quite liked this part:

9. The bombs in Bob-ombardeo . You have already seen that in this battle mode all the objects are bombs, but maybe you did not realize that you can continue to take surprise boxes without stopping and accumulating more and more explosive ammunition, maybe to shoot at will. In addition, your own bombs do not hurt you, and you can always calculate the timer by leaving the button pressed.

The idea of bombs only sounded pretty simplistic but the bold part could be the real deal.

edit: I just realized I quoted a google translated spanish article. LOL

Roo

Can you do 5 multiplayer with 4 players sharing the big screen and one more playing a separate undocked switch unit?
Connecting 2 (or more) Switch consoles would require either LAN play or local wireless which only supports 2 players per Switch so, no, you can't do that.

ASIS

Maybe "Mario Kart Switch" then. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a scary name for casuals.
That I agree with. For some reason I just don't like the number scheme on this particular franchise.

I might just be an old man yelling at the clouds though.

Connecting 2 (or more) Switch consoles would require either LAN play or local wireless which only supports 2 players per Switch so, no, you can't do that.
Thanks for the reply. That's a bit disappointing but not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Maybe "Mario Kart Switch" then. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a scary name for casuals.

Casuals only care that it is Mario Kart...what follows after that is pretty much irrelevant. Same with Smash.
There is only one version one a system per gen - so its the defacto Mario Kart for the system you own or wanna play on.

spekkeh

Banned
I'm not sure how anyone could think the Wii U version was perfect with its shitty battle mode.
Thankfully it looks like they corrected that though block fort should of been a returning stage.
Perfect doesn't exist. 10/10 is significantly better than anything else within this style of play, which MK8 was.

I really hope this gets DLC, but I highly doubt it. Odds are the team is already working on MK9. Either way though, I'm excited to play this again, with an actual battle mode. Maybe this time my IRL friends will pick it up as well, lol. Especially since I have more friends with Switches than Wii Us already.

Side note: After the Zelda, Animal Crossing, F-Zero, ExciteBike, and now Splatoon content, MK9 better finally have a full Nintendo roster. I wanna race as Samus on Metroid and Fire Emblem themed maps.

Ascenion

This isn't Mario Kart Switch though. At least I don't think so. MK9 with the Switch naming scheme should be a chance for a Double Dash 2. Since we got all these characters now and such. Or maybe I just want my Rosalina/Pink Gold Peach combo.

Majine

Banned
This isn't Mario Kart Switch though. At least I don't think so. MK9 with the Switch naming scheme should be a chance for a Double Dash 2. Since we got all these characters now and such. Or maybe I just want my Rosalina/Pink Gold Peach combo.

Mario Kart usually only appears once on a Nintendo system.

So maybe this is it... ?

Roo

Odds are the team is already working on MK9.

Even though you're not necessarily wrong, the Mario Kart team is busy with ARMS right now (and probably DLC for that game down the road) so I wouldn't expect a new Mario Kart game anytime soon. Late 2019/early 2020 at the earliest.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I really hope this gets DLC, but I highly doubt it. Odds are the team is already working on MK9. Either way though, I'm excited to play this again, with an actual battle mode. Maybe this time my IRL friends will pick it up as well, lol. Especially since I have more friends with Switches than Wii Us already.

Side note: After the Zelda, Animal Crossing, F-Zero, ExciteBike, and now Splatoon content, MK9 better finally have a full Nintendo roster. I wanna race as Samus on Metroid and Fire Emblem themed maps.

I'm honestly expecting this might happen, to be seen but Nintendo really opened the gates for their other franchises with MK8, and I don't think they should close it. I don't mind if they keep calling it Mario Kart for brand recognition (and it's much catchier than Nintendo Kart, for example), but I guess we'll see whenever the 9th game roles around.

Even though you're not necessarily wrong, the Mario Kart team is busy with ARMS right now (and probably DLC for that game down the road) so I wouldn't expect a new Mario Kart game anytime soon. Late 2019/early 2020 at the earliest.

This is also true. I have no doubt that Mario Kart Switch will happen eventually, just probably not super soon. I feel like part of the reason Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is happening (outside of upping' the Switch's title catalog in an easier way by updated ports with new content from their WiiU library) is to help space the Mario Kart releases since the next one probably won't be for a while still.

Personally I think this will be the Mario Kart for Switch. I think it's smarter for Nintendo to save the "fresh" Mario Kart for Switch 2.

Top Bottom