• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Metal Slug for Console and Metal Slug: Code J Take Aim at a 2020 Release

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

It’s been a while since we’ve heard about the new Metal Slug game in development, but Korean subsidiary SNK Interactive has announced that the game is slated for release within 2020. Not only that, but there will also be a new smartphone game that has yet to be officially announced. [Thanks, Inven via @Gatoray on Twitter!]

Both games are currently in development at SNK proper in Japan and are separate from the Metal Slug IP smartphone game that is being developed by Tencent’s Timi Studio. Development on the mobile game is currently 80% complete, and the game is set to be a “2D side scrolling card-type game” that will release for both iOS and Android devices.

As for the console title, while no new details were announced aside from the fact that it also is aiming for a release in 2020, it was reaffirmed that the game will be a run-and-gun sidescrolling shooter like previous games in the series. SNK Interactive CEO Jeon Se-hwan commented that the mobile and console titles are being developed to target the 10-20 year old and 30-40 year old markets, respectively. SNK plans to continue expanding and strengthening the value of current IP and develop more than one game each year.

The new Metal Slug game is currently in development. A new Metal Slug mobile game is also in development.

Thanks mods for the title change🧸

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Can't say much, but they're definitely trying to make Metal Slug a thing again. Personally, I'm pretty excited.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned

It’s been a while since we’ve heard about the new Metal Slug game in development, but Korean subsidiary SNK Interactive has announced that the game is slated for release within 2020. Not only that, but there will also be a new smartphone game that has yet to be officially announced. [Thanks, Inven via @Gatoray on Twitter!]

Both games are currently in development at SNK proper in Japan and are separate from the Metal Slug IP smartphone game that is being developed by Tencent’s Timi Studio. Development on the mobile game is currently 80% complete, and the game is set to be a “2D side scrolling card-type game” that will release for both iOS and Android devices.

As for the console title, while no new details were announced aside from the fact that it also is aiming for a release in 2020, it was reaffirmed that the game will be a run-and-gun sidescrolling shooter like previous games in the series. SNK Interactive CEO Jeon Se-hwan commented that the mobile and console titles are being developed to target the 10-20 year old and 30-40 year old markets, respectively. SNK plans to continue expanding and strengthening the value of current IP and develop more than one game each year.

The new Metal Slug game is currently in development. A new Metal Slug mobile game is also in development.

Amazing news

Birdo

Banned

LVj0tdk.gif

Rran

I...don't love the look. It could be worse, but honestly the original visuals look better. The deformed look works with pixels but it just looks a bit freaky with these polygonal models. Also, the HUD is MASSIVE.

So is this the mobile game or the console one?

EDIT: Can someone explain like I'm five what Tencent is and why it's bad?

Last edited:

Dr_Salt

There are actually 3 metal slug games being developed right now. This is the one made by timi. The 2 made inhouse by snk have not been revealed yet.

Its like people didn't even read the op.

Last edited:

Labolas

Eh it doesn't look terrible. Looks better than KOF14. The 2d spites will be sorely missed. I'm glad series isn't dead.

Dazrael

That’s the mobile game, doesn’t look so bad for what it is. I kinda like the revisits to the levels from the previous games.

The main console game needs to have sprites though, that is fundamentally important. Someone at SNK knows this right?

Futaleufu

That’s the mobile game, doesn’t look so bad for what it is. I kinda like the revisits to the levels from the previous games.

The main console game needs to have sprites though, that is fundamentally important. Someone at SNK knows this right?

Sprites are dead for AAA games. KOF XIII was the last AAA game with pixel art, it's over.

Whenever SNK gets around to unveiling the game they're supposedly developing for consoles, my biggest concern--regardless of whether it's 3D or somehow 2D--is I have little faith the current company has the talent to create something visually inline with the initial three (or three and a half) Metal Slug games. Hopefully they'll surprise me, but my expectations are closer to the trailer for that mobile game.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

I'm not worried yet. This isn't the new Metal Slug game that SNK is developing in house for consoles. So until then there's hope SNK will get it right.

Last edited:

Cravis

Eh hope the console version looks a lot better. This looks like something I’d pick up on sale on switch for $3, play once, then never play again.

Dazrael

Maybe SNK should team up with Inti Creates and give them a nice sizeable budget. They seem to be one of the last bastions of 2D pixels in games.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Wow this was insulting as fuck. Holy shit.
Next time just buy up 400 AES copies from metals slug 1 from ebay.

Have the president of tencent drive a steamroller on top of them while flipping metals slug fans off.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Great news thanks for sharing. I didn't care for the mobile game they currently have out, but would be interested in a new console entry.

Top Bottom