• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo Direct upcoming Live on September 1st at 16:00 CEST for 3DS

Litri

There has to be a surprise or two on this direct because they don't have that much to talk about otherwise... and considering the rumor mill says that 3DS will be supported until 2018, it's not too far-fetched to think.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Cross-posting from "Nintendo 3DS games thru 2018" thread:

On the bright side, this gives me hope for a good "one more thing" in the Direct tomorrow, at minimum. The Trev leak if plans haven't changed in this respect leads me to believe any unseen 3DS games wouldn't release till next year at the earliest, but I'm hopeful for some now and maybe plans changed and we will even see something else new retail this year (more eShop games for this year yabe always been on the take, and I'm hoping for Detective Pikachu).

The "one more thing" will be the NX announcement date. That's why they announced the Galaxy 3DS model before the direct instead of at it, because they wanted to free up some time.

Wiz

My 3DS XL hinge just broke today. The system still works but it's obviously on its last legs. I've had it since launch in 2012.

I guess now is the time to upgrade to a New Nintendo 3DS XL lol. How likely are we to see a price drop on this thing tomorrow? I don't want to risk all my data and keep using this 3DS.

maxcriden

Despite Nintendo's insistence that they won't discuss NX during the Direct? Beyond what's in the OP--
Nintendo specifically told GamesBeat in an e-mail that the NX, the codename for its next console (one that we don’t know much about), won’t be discussed during the presentation.

maxcriden

I think he's saying they'll announce a date for the NX announcement direct, rather than actually talking about the NX.

They can give the date of their next presentation without mentioning the NX.

Oh, I know what he's saying (but, thank you for the clarification). I just don't want to get my hopes well and truly up for that and then have them dashed. They may consider talking about the NX announcement date to be included in "talking about NX." They may not. I dunno. Hopefully not because I'd really, really like them to announce the date.

(Though, if it's Kirby Mass Attack 2 vs. NX announcement date, I'll take the former any day.)

Oregano

Despite Nintendo's insistence that they won't discuss NX during the Direct? Beyond what's in the OP--

To be fair although I don't think it's happening they could easily "We know your looking forward to NX which we're not discussion today but you can join on xx.xx.xxxx when we'll be revealing it" and that wouldn't go against what they've said.

maxcriden

To be fair although I don't think it's happening they could easily "We know your looking forward to NX which we're not discussion today but you can join on xx.xx.xxxx when we'll be revealing it" and that wouldn't go against what they've said.

I hear ya, and I hope that will happen, I just don't know if we can say that they would view that as talking about the NX/going against what they said. But it becomes a semantical discussion that could go either way so I will happily say I truly don't know and will keep my expectations low but optimistic. :)

I actually wonder why they didn't hold off the Galaxy 3DS until the direct, seeing as they bothered to make a video for the thing.

It was speculated above that they had to cut it for time/space in the Direct, perhaps for an NX date announcement.

maxcriden

It's a hint for Mario Galaxy 3D

EDIT: Pure speculation!

Thing is, if it really was, I think there would be SMG logos/characters on the N3DS because it would be a major missed opportunity marketing-wise otherwise, and they'd also pack in SMG3D or promote it on the sales listing. AFAIK the sales listing is up and none of that is included :(

(I'd again love to be wrong though! and am only speculating.)

Kyzer

Banned
maybe its the deformed ghost of what was planned to be a LE super mario galaxy 3ds but the game got moved to nx!

please?

maybe its the deformed ghost of what was planned to be a LE super mario galaxy 3ds but the game got moved to nx!

please?

Then they could've just included the 3DS in the Direct.
Maybe we're all looking into it way too far and it's just Nintendo being weird marketing Nintendo again.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Oh, I know what he's saying (but, thank you for the clarification). I just don't want to get my hopes well and truly up for that and then have them dashed. They may consider talking about the NX announcement date to be included in "talking about NX." They may not. I dunno. Hopefully not because I'd really, really like them to announce the date.

(Though, if it's Kirby Mass Attack 2 vs. NX announcement date, I'll take the former any day.)

I'm not actually expecting anything either. Here's the thing, though: We were originally expecting then to announce last week that an NX event would be held on the 13th, right? And now we've heard rumors of an event on or around the 20th, a week later than expected. So, we've have expected that to have been announced yesterday, but Nintendo wouldn't want to announce a direct and an event on the same day, so instead they could announce the direct, and then announce the event at the direct, which wouldn't require any discussion of NX technically.

None of this will actually happen but I want to dream. I still don't get why they didn't save the galaxy thing until the direct though... Wait, I have to post something stupid on Twitter.

maxcriden

Then they could've just included the 3DS in the Direct.
Maybe we're all looking into it way too far and it's just Nintendo being weird marketing Nintendo again.

That's why I think it was bumped for space in the Direct as speculated. It's a weird segment they released though so perhaps it's just because it feels like it's cut from a Direct... or perhaps it's a hint at something else. :) We'll see soon enough, hopefully.

I'm not actually expecting anything either. Here's the thing, though: We were originally expecting then to announce last week that an NX event would be held on the 13th, right? And now we've heard rumors of an event on or around the 20th, a week later than expected. So, we've have expected that to have been announced yesterday, but Nintendo wouldn't want to announce a direct and an event on the same day, so instead they could announce the direct, and then announce the event at the direct, which wouldn't require any discussion of NX technically.

None of this will actually happen but I want to dream.

I was with you till the last sentence, though. I think you make a good point and that this could actually happen. :)

The only thing is if press is invited it needs to be like...today? Right? 3 weeks for travel planning? In which case, if there's a press component to the event, we should know soon unless the existence of the press event itself is under an embargo that people won't break... though my impression is we usually (?) get hints regardless. Maybe though if press knows it will be formally announced tomorrow they're waiting to start talking about it then, or will only hear themselves then b/c that would be ~3 wks.

Velcro Fly

they made a video of it and showed it the week of the direct. it feels cut for some reason. maybe they will mention it again in the direct and it will become a moot point? I'm ready for anything at this point

I thought this Thursday would be the earliest for an NX reveal date because that's 3 weeks before fall season. Instead we got a direct for 3DS. Lol

That's why I think it was bumped for space in the Direct as speculated. It's a weird segment they released though so perhaps it's just because it feels like it's cut from a Direct... or perhaps it's a hint at something else. :) We'll see soon enough, hopefully.

You're on to something.
Video does look like it's been cut from a Direct.

Too bad... would love to replay Galaxy on my 3DS.

MuchoMalo

Banned

I was with you till the last sentence, though. I think you make a good point and that this could actually happen. :)

The only thing is if press is invited it needs to be like...today? Right? 3 weeks for travel planning? In which case, if there's a press component to the event, we should know soon unless the existence of the press event itself is under an embargo that people won't break... though my impression is we usually (?) get hints regardless. Maybe though if press knows it will be formally announced tomorrow they're waiting to start talking about it then, or will only hear themselves then b/c that would be ~3 wks.

I think that NDAs may have tightened recently after the Eurogamer thing, so press wouldn't say anything. Nintendo can't be happy with them, especially after the mixed response.

maxcriden

they made a video of it and showed it the week of the direct. it feels cut for some reason. maybe they will mention it again in the direct and it will become a moot point? I'm ready for anything at this point

Gosh, that would feel so strange to cut it and then still have it in there...unless I suppose, they might have thought the Direct would air earlier, more in time with the product release...and then scrambled to post the video separately...but kept it in the Direct to increase promotion of it? We'll see....

You're on to something.
Video does look like it's been cut from a Direct.

Too bad... would love to replay Galaxy on my 3DS.

Still could happen! And on the bright side, surely if NX VC is forward compatible as we hope, you can play SMG on the go at that point. Part of the reason I'm holding off on an N3DS is the hope that NX VC will include SNES and as such it will render N3DS VC exclusive no longer (provided the NX is reasonably portable, I suppose).

I think that NDAs may have tightened recently, so press wouldn't say anything.

Fingers crossed!

Dystify

New 3DS game by Jools Watsham: Chicken Wiggle - A Platformer and Level Creation Tool

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...tformer_and_level_creation_tool_coming_to_3ds

original.jpg

This won't be in the Direct, I wanted to post it here anyway. I figure somebody will make a thread for this soon.

butman

Let's speculate:

LOCALIZATIONS:

Realistic:
- Etrian Odyssey V
- Monster Hunter Stories

Dream:
- Beyond The Labyrinth
- Great Turnabout Trial: The Adventure of Ryūnosuke Naruhodō

NEW GAMES (AAA)

Realistic:
- Super Mario 3D Land 2
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds 2

Dream:
- The World Ends With You 2
- Monolith Soft 3DS Project

maxcriden

Let's speculate:

NEW GAMES (AAA)

Realistic:
- Super Mario 3D Land 2
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds 2

Dream:
- The World Ends With You 2
- Monolith Soft 3DS Project

FWIW, I think all four of those qualify as "dream," sadly. Plus, 3DL2 might go against Miyamoto's comments at E3 that we'd be seeing a different kind of Mario game next time around and indicating it would be probably E3-ish at the earliest we'd see this.

And I'm not sure if this is helpful or harmful, but I thought it was previously confirmed Monolith wasn't working on a 3DS game and that that art was for promotional/hiring purposes? Might be misremembering, though.

I'm almost certain that the staff working on Triforce Heroes were moved to BOTW after it was completed, so there's no chance of a new handheld Zelda.

Top Bottom