• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo Indie World Showcase Announced for Wednesday 4/17

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Steamworld Heist was great so that's cool. Couldn't get into their last 2 games, Build and Quest.

August 8th I believe.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
That Antonblast game looks so similar to Pizza Tower that I thought it was from the same devs. But apparently they’re just similar games based off of Wario Land. Looks cool.

Rran

It bugs me to an irrational level what WayForward is doing with Yars. The original game was a space shooter starring big weird mosquitoes, and they turned it all into yet another anime girl platformer. Why be faithful to an established IP when we can just do Shantae again?

I guess I should be thankful that they didn't do the same thing with Contra...

iHaunter

NGL it is fun seeing Atari back in a somewhat-legit fashion.

So far the cat game seems good, but I'm also wondering...how TF do you get lost simply falling a couple floors down from your crib even if you're a cat? Just retrace your steps. Either that cat's on some serious catnip or they're kinda dumb.

Or they bumped their head on the fall on some invisible wall. Otherwise the idea that's how they get lost is hilarious.

Nah, I'm pretty sure something like TOTK probably had a budget between $40-$50 million. That's much higher than your typical indie or even most AA games.

Though it's a testament that Nintendo's pipeline is so efficient to keep costs under control compared to most other companies. No superfluous spending on expensive licenses, or C-tier Hollywood writers, actors & actresses trying to pass off as A-listers from the glory days.
You call it efficient. I call it lazy. Because they know their fans will buy anything. The fact there's people defending the last two Pokémon games speaks volumes. And the fact that TOTK had such a high review score despite being mostly the same game.

Shifty1897

You call it efficient. I call it lazy. Because they know their fans will buy anything. The fact there's people defending the last two Pokémon games speaks volumes. And the fact that TOTK had such a high review score despite being mostly the same game.
I don't know how you could possibly say TOTK and BOTW are mostly the same game. In my mind, Spiderman and Spiderman 2 are more alike than BOTW and TOTK are.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
The second Silksong gets a release date:
NPDjEhp.gif

Skeptical

Neo Member
I'm not sure what some people expect with an indie showcase for a system with a very diverse audience, including a huge casual/cozy audience. Personally, if 2 games look decently interesting, it's a good enough showing for me.

Antonblast looks like it could be fun. I have a soft spot for the gimmick of needing to run back to the starting point after reaching the end, so that's neat. Combine that with the speed and level of destruction seen, and it could be a cool unique platformer.

I'm a little torn on Yars Rising. The cool hacker chick aesthetic was offputting, and the gameplay that was shown seemed a bit too slow and simple for my tastes. But on the flip side, It's WayForward, and I will at least take notice of anything they do. And I'm curious what they're doing with the Yars thing. So it's a wait and see.

And Steamworld Heist was always a game on my radar that stayed relatively low on my radar. Maybe the new one will bump it up.

It bugs me to an irrational level what WayForward is doing with Yars. The original game was a space shooter starring big weird mosquitoes, and they turned it all into yet another anime girl platformer. Why be faithful to an established IP when we can just do Shantae again?

For all we know, it was Atari who requested it be like this. They seem to be playing fast and loose with the franchise anyway. The XBox360 remake made them humanoid insects first, and Yars Recharged completely revamped the gameplay more than most if not all of the Recharged series. Maybe they are the ones throwing anything at the wall and seeing if it sticks.

If people are disappointed, check your expectations. It's an Indie World, not a Direct. There's a reason it doesn't have Direct in the name. These are never heavy-hitters, and it's been 8 years at this point, so people really ought to be used to it by now.

Playing the Europa demo on Switch. It's quite beautiful. There's some ghosting artifacts on the character when it moves but it's gorgeous.

b8SJsra.jpg
Q2fwqT2.jpg
If it's good, I'll check it out on Series X. Is there combat or is it just exploring and roaming around?

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Wait a minute, is Lorelei is on GP too? I keep getting weird articles when I google it. Can't even tell the platforms.

[EDIT] Nevermind, looks like it's Switch / Steam only on the Annapurna site.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

That TMNT game looks basically "Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragon", but with 4 player co-op.

Outside of Steamworld Hiest 2 and that Europa game I didn't see much that looked that great (imo).

Deerock71

Jersey Shore GIF by Jersey Shore Family Vacation

161 million.

iHaunter

Jersey Shore GIF by Jersey Shore Family Vacation

161 million.
And some of the least impressive games of the generation. Recite me a game from the Switch that even remotely kept you engaged? The Xenoblade games were cringe outside of X. But even then the story was generic. Just a fun game.

Deerock71

And some of the least impressive games of the generation. Recite me a game from the Switch that even remotely kept you engaged? The Xenoblade games were cringe outside of X. But even then the story was generic. Just a fun game.
Dude, I play the shit out of my Switch. I play it more than my Series S (my son has the series X). I'm not going to go through the list of games with you.

bender

What time is it?
Tried out the Cat Quest III and ANTONBLAST demos.

No experience with the previous Cat Quest games but the perspective is strange, like a simple hack and slash game but the game world is a Civilization map. Not my cup of tea.

I think I'm too old for ANTONBLAST as there is just too much going on screen for me to keep up with.

Happy there is a Europa demo as that is what most interested me from the showcase.

Rran

I enjoyed the AntonBlast demo and its Cow & Chicken aesthetic. It's perhaps a hair too busy for me at points but I'm assuming that'll be something that gets ironed out as I get better at it.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It’s amazing how the devs that do appear in these presentations are always perfect stereotypes of the geeky coder. Sometimes I think it’s on purpose.

I’m also starting to suspect that Silksong was always vapourware, and that it was announced only so that people keep watching indie presentations and all the other indie games that people wouldn’t give a shit about get some exposure. This thread wouldn’t even exist if not for the hope Silksong would get an official announcement.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

I picked this game out at Toys R Us purely based on the badass cover, it was a pretty cool game though.

2367849-a2600_yarsrevenge_2.jpg

And yeah, no idea why they would choose to revive this IP as an animu Metroidvania with waifus, WTF?

Top Bottom