• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo patent application - Nintendo NX related?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm pretty confident we won't have another "Wii U"-type branding scenario.

Kimishima has lived in the US for 20 years, is fluent in English and is the one would have gotten the negative feedback from NOA on the Wii U's name.

Plus Nikkei reported that he told Nintendo he didn't like the Wii U was because it was way too similar to the Wii. I bet the naming issue was part of it.

Mihos

Gold Member
So take a WiiU... put some guts in the gamepad so you can use it with or without the console part and add scroll wheels

Sounds pretty much like what I would expect the NX to be.

Plus Nikkei reported that he told Nintendo he didn't like the Wii U was because it was way too similar to the Wii. I bet the naming issue was part of it.

Right, so why should we expect another system which is similar to Wii U? Didn't Iwata say if he just built on the previous console, it gets dull?

We're missing something in the equation. I doubt it's just going to be the Wii U concept expanded to include a compatible handheld.

nickcv

Going deeper into the patent brings up some interesting things-

So they could use wheels, trackballs or touch panels for shoulder buttons in this patent.

More-

So potentially, vibration and a form of force feedback could be included in the wheels.

this sounds more incredible every minute. I'm not feeling the trackballs or touch panels options but the wheel with vibration, force feedback and automated movement to highlight the presence of things in the scene seem like fantastic features.

This is a patent, not a feature announcement. There are patents for tons of things that never get used.

Like the horsebag.
Not sure why you felt the need to single me out. I didn't mean to make it sound like it'll definitely be in their next controller/handheld. It was a general statement on being curious about how they can use this. Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "will" and instead used the word "can" instead or maybe added a "will/will not use" to satisfy you.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The more I think about this the more I'm baffled it hasn't happened yet.

Holy shit what a good idea. I hope it's actually a thing and Nintendo will use it. Then for Sony and Microsoft to follow. Or beat Nintendo to the punch if they don't do it.

Just because the patent just went up doesn't mean it will be for the NX. Patents can sometimes take months or years to finally process. They're also sometimes filled just to protect IP that is developed during a building phase.

In fact, I think there was an old Nintendo patent where they had springy left/right switches behind the shoulders (a bit like zoom control on some cameras), which is a similar concept to the 180 degree version.

Anyone know what I'm referring to? It might go back as far as 10 years ago but I'm not sure.

I really hope this makes it's way into their NeXt system. One thing I like about Nintendo is they always look for new ideas in the controller-space.

This says to me, given the scroll wheels, that a new Steel Diver is coming to Nintendo platform. So, YAY! Love those games.

That's how I'm gonna interpret it. :p

papo

I'm sure that if this is really relevant then it means Nintendo are just basically progressing into their next idea in the chain. I've always seen it this way.

First came the DS with the stylus. Then came the Wii which was basically a DS which used the wiimote as the stylus and the screen the TV. Then they tried to make that into an actual DS by using the wiiu controller as the 2nd/touch screen and the TV as the main one. Now they have finallly mixed the two and you have an actual handheld + tv, and most likely you can use them separately and they could have separate games.

They've had success with handheld, but had trouble with the last console. So now the will give us both in the same package?

Bert

Gotcha. Is there a screen in the controller in the pic? Just wondering if people are speculating or if it's actually there.

Help a blind man see...

Patents always use the current tech as a baseline for images. During GC days it would be a GC controller. Old Apple patents uses old iPhone models even if the tech was put into a newer version. Anything not directly related to the patent (everything bar the shoulder wheels) is just a placeholder. Don't read anything into it.

Basically: companies don't out fully formed industrial designs in patents.

TheMoon

Not sure why you felt the need to single me out. I didn't mean to make it sound like it'll definitely be in their next controller/handheld. It was a general statement on being curious about how they can use this. Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "will" and instead used the word "can" instead or maybe added a "will/will not use" to satisfy you.

Didn't single you out. Just saw your comment and replied accordingly.

Clefargle

The part about the scroll triggers rotating against you could be interesting as a type of force feedback. I hope they are analog triggers also. They have to make them ergonomic while also keeping them slick enough to rotate under your fingers without pushing them off entirely. So they will have to be of some rubbery material maybe similar to the circle nubbin' on the N3DS? The potential for menu navigation is really nice, also for racing games. Mario kart 9 could have great new drifting mechanics.

BY2K

Membero Americo

Nintendo NX 120GB (Prototype)
Specs
CPU - AMD Based x86-64 2.15Ghz 8-core & ARM Cortex A53 1.5Ghz 2-core
GPU Radeon GCN 1.2 gpu 1280 core & mail t880mp6
RAM HBM GDDR5 4096Mb & 1024 mb LPDDR4
Memory 120Gb 2.5" HDD Hitachi 7200rpm
MicroSDXC reader
2x USB Type-C
1x LAN
Wi-Fi 802.11n/Wi-Fi Direct
1x Debug port
1x NXPad
OS Linux Based cousom os
NO ODD
6 SDK DVD

Who does he even think he's fooling?

Region Code: Region-Free

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Kurt

So L and R are like mouse scrolls ?

Yes but more advanced.
Let me explain (from what i've read)

Its configurable when the scrolling needs to stop : webbrowser if you scroll all done, the scroll will be locked. So you can only scroll up from that moment.

Forcefeedback : shooting an arrow in zelda for example. The more you scroll the harder you need to pull the scrolling wheel. If you let go, it will return to his original position.

Automaticly scrolling without touching : when you move a ball with the scrolling wheel and let go, it will keep rotating until the ball is been stopped by his own.(Also it can rotate automaticly a side to where a secret can be found)

At last clicking the scrolling wheel could also have forcefeedback.

Tregard

Soothsayer
So annoyed the thread seems to be gone, before the PS4 got announced there was a thread about what you expect to see in the Dualshock 4, and I suggested making R1 and L1 also function as scroll wheels :(

Yes but more advanced.
Let me explain (from what i've read)

Its configurable when the scrolling needs to stop : webbrowser if you scroll all done, the scroll will be locked. So you can only scroll up from that moment.

Forcefeedback : shooting an arrow in zelda for example. The more you scroll the harder you need to pull the scrolling wheel. If you let go, it will return to his original position.

Automaticly scrolling without touching : when you move a ball with the scrolling wheel and let go, it will keep rotating until the ball is been stopped by his own.(Also it can rotate automaticly a side to where a secret can be found)

At last clicking the scrolling wheel could also have forcefeedback.

I can see Metroid Prime 4 making a revolutionary change for FPS games with a controller like this for NX if it pans out. Kinda reminds me of what Valve is trying to do with the Steam controllers only this thing makes way more sense and seems like it would give more accurate control for an FPS or Adventure game with so many more ways to move the camera and the perspective.

Gsnap

Sounds like a great idea. Hope we actually see it integrated into the next console. So many simple things could come from it.

Imagine if they were to release a new Metroid Prime style game and you can use the scroll to switch between different visors like normal, scan, thermal, etc. Or in a Mario game this could give you simple rotational camera control while still using the face buttons to jump.

yeeeeeeeeeeeeesss.

L Thammy

Patents always use the current tech as a baseline for images. During GC days it would be a GC controller. Old Apple patents uses old iPhone models even if the tech was put into a newer version. Anything not directly related to the patent (everything bar the shoulder wheels) is just a placeholder. Don't read anything into it.

Basically: companies don't out fully formed industrial designs in patents.

On the other hand, this patent explicitly mentions a touchscreen. It even states that there are different varieties of touchscreen that they can use.

Oh boy, if the prototype is only $199, the system itself is going to be dirt cheap. Nintendo going on a pricing war.
(Only one day left, returns accepted. Get on it GAF!)
((Item location: Davlekanovo, Bashkortostan, Russian Federation))

Cleve

Rotary shoulder buttons are a great idea. The (clickable) mousewheel has been the single biggest improvement in the mouse since it's original development. It's a matter of how they pull it off more than anything.

If they do it well, and I assume they will, huge props to nintendo for pushing controller design in an intelligent way.

Brofield

Scrollable shoulder buttons, analog triggers, Gamecube face button layout, full sized clicking joystick, based d-pad, ergonomic design.

NX best controller confirmed.

Jackano

Scrollable shoulder buttons, analog triggers, Gamecube face button layout, full sized clicking joystick, based d-pad, ergonomic design.

NX best controller confirmed.

For me, this wheels shoulder buttons seems interesting, but the second set should be digital only. Gamecube or Xbox360 controllers i have currently, I don't feel like analog triggers are useful to use. It just feels like the final click is delayed because of the analog part, but no one will voluntary push about 70% of the trigger for an analog action.

However, gamecube/beans face buttons are a go. I don't understand why Nintendo has gone back to the diamond layout on Wii U (and Wii pro controller). They just have forgot early 2000' years and found themselves stuck in 1991 like their competitors.

Brofield

Isn't it only the scrollable ones?

I meant separately, to have scrolling shoulder buttons, and then the analog triggers underneath.

For me, this wheels shoulder buttons seems interesting, but the second set should be digital only. Gamecube or Xbox360 controllers i have currently, I don't feel like analog triggers are useful to use. It just feels like the final click is delayed because of the analog part, but no one will voluntary push about 70% of the trigger for an analog action.

However, gamecube/beans face buttons are a go. I don't understand why Nintendo has gone back to the diamond layout on Wii U (and Wii pro controller). They just have forgot early 2000' years and found themselves stuck in 1991 like their competitors.

I would argue against that; analog triggers are very integral to racing simulators, not to mention the inevitable Super Mario Sunshine remake. Besides that, GC triggers were superior for simply cupping the finger and not allowing it to slide off like I had so many issues with on 360 and PS3 controllers.

But I'm glad I'm not alone in rejecting those diamond button layouts. I easily get confused by them when I don't know what button my finger is naturally on when I have to do silly QTE events

L Thammy

Did it specify a screen, or say "Touch Panel?" Because that could also be a PS4 style track pad.

Unless the touch pad is separately from the display:

11. The operation apparatus according to claim 1, wherein the operation apparatus further includes a display screen on the front surface of the housing.

12. The operation apparatus according to claim 1, wherein the operation section further includes a touch panel on the front surface of the housing.

Although I think this part makes it clear that, yes, it is a touch screen:

The hand-held game apparatus 10 includes an LCD 21. The LCD 21 is provided near the center of the front surface of the hand-held game apparatus 10. Furthermore, the hand-held game apparatus 10 includes a touch panel 22 on the screen of the LCD 21. In the present embodiment, the touch panel 22 is a resistive film type touch panel. However, the touch panel is not limited to the resistive film type touch panel, and any type of touch panel, such as electrostatic capacitance type, may be used. The touch panel 22 may be of single touch type or multiple touch type.

Top Bottom