• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo patent suggests Switch 2 may solve joycon drift

Gambit2483

OK, we're either looking forward to a $699 system here, or someone let loose a lot of bulls in the streets.
What's gonna be tomorrow's rumor? GC games day one, free for early adopters? A glassless Virtual Boy mode?
Every system includes a VR headset. System is 100% playable in VR

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
OK, we're either looking forward to a $699 system here, or someone let loose a lot of bulls in the streets.
What's gonna be tomorrow's rumor? GC games day one, free for early adopters? A glassless Virtual Boy mode?
I’m convinced at this point that all of these leaks are some orchestrated conspiracy to hype up the Switch 2 as much as possible so that everyone is universally disappointed when it’s finally revealed to be two Switches taped together.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I’m convinced at this point that all of these leaks are some orchestrated conspiracy to hype up the Switch 2 as much as possible so that everyone is universally disappointed when it’s finally revealed to be two Switches taped together.
I don’t understand the effort, though.
All you need is to say it’s gonna be more powerful than their previous system. Forum dwellers will make up the rest, every time.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I don’t understand the effort, though.
All you need is to say it’s gonna be more powerful than their previous system. Forum dwellers will make up the rest, every time.
These “leakers” have been bought and paid for months ago. This is a pretty standard industry practice; a new product (in this case a game console) is predicted by the general public to be a big success based on the sales of the prior product. And so rival companies will actually go out of their way to make the product look like the second coming of Christ before it’s actually revealed. That way there is universal disappointment in the product once it’s actually revealed, which offers space for the competitor to sneak in and steal sales with a new product of their own. You guys are blind if you don’t see that sega has been behind all of these leaks and is mere months away from launching the Dreamcast 2. Open your eyes, GAF.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
These “leakers” have been bought and paid for months ago. This is a pretty standard industry practice; a new product (in this case a game console) is predicted by the general public to be a big success based on the sales of the prior product. And so rival companies will actually go out of their way to make the product look like the second coming of Christ before it’s actually revealed. That way there is universal disappointment in the product once it’s actually revealed, which offers space for the competitor to sneak in and steal sales with a new product of their own. You guys are blind if you don’t see that sega has been behind all of these leaks and is mere months away from launching the Dreamcast 2. Open your eyes, GAF.
First Half GIF

El Sabroso

This should make the move for Sony and MS to move as well to use hall effect joysticks for 1st party controllers if true, already some 3rd party controllers are using them, the talk is very positive about it so, as long as it makes it into 1st party standards is a really good deal

Business

My joycons have suffered from stick drift, SL SR buttons failing and joycons involuntarily detaching from the console body due to the plastic latches failing. They are the worst piece of controller hardware I have owned since I started buying this stuff in the late 80’s and Nintendo should be ashamed of the poor quality of the hardware they ship.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I personally wouldn’t expect regular size sticks on the next ones. They’ll just release another Pro Controller for that.

Would love to be wrong though.

Your probably right, but how about something in between? A stick a little taller with better range and a better top is totally doable and would add next to no cost.

Last edited:

IAmRei

Can't say I've ever had drifting and I've had a Switch since launch. Are people being too aggressive with their sticks? Only controllers I've had drift are PS4 and Xbox One.

If true then it's good they are going with higher quality components.
mine since 2020, and still safe. yeah, i dont know how people do that.

my xbox one analog cover, however, is not safe.
now i covered it up with analog caps now. i guess it is because my bag is full of things usually. and my xbox one controller travels much inside.

MadPanda

Banned

Hall effect sensors aren't something expensive and luxury. Everyone could adopt them but how would they sell us new controllers after all?

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Hall effect sensors aren't something expensive and luxury. Everyone could adopt them but how would they sell us new controllers after all?
Of course they aren't expensive and luxury. But as the market stands now, those who make controllers that use them are more than happy to make it seem so. And whoever makes those sensors the standard for their new standard controller is gonna make it look like it's something radically new, a solution to a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place, and will have no qualms asking premium for it.

xrnzaaas

There are $50 chinese consoles with Hall joysticks

I wouldnt expect anything less from the Switch 2. Nintendo, I swear to God, if you cheap out ...
Big companies like Nintendo or Sony always cheap out on parts if they can get away with it. The clusterfuck with the joycons simply ended up being too big so that's why they may actually improve.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Nice, but I'd rather that we just eliminated the awful "clickable sticks" concept altogether. I never saw sticks fail and start to drift as they have since this became the standard. Our Quest 2 has the same problem.

It's a terrible control anyway. I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally clicked a stick at a critical moment in a game (eg. Elden Ring) and had it kill me as a consequence of something like an unintended crouch. I can't think of any other part of the gamepad / stick interface that can easily lead to a completely wrong action just by applying a little too much pressure.

Top Bottom