• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch 2 May Feature an OLED Display by Samsung; Could Release Earlier Than Expected

Shut0wen

Well I heard about them saying TOTK was "practically done" a year before it came out but they spent the extra time polishing it. So, what you're saying might have some weight to it.

But I still think if it means speeding up adaption to Switch 2, they wouldn't mind cutting out Switch versions from the schedule. I was really talking about newer-developed titles though, games that would've maybe started development in 2020 or even 2021 to prepare for a Switch 2 in 2024.

Haven't heard of them? Anyone have a link?
Nah its true

Seriously ever since the switch nintendo has made games, remasters and remakes and has literally sat on them waiting to release them when theres a gap, earliest rumour of enage was that it was originally made for the 3ds then development switched to the switch, game went gold in 2021, mario thousand doors and afew zelda remasters were also rumoured 2 years ago nintendo probably 2 years ahead on there new console anyways, look at how many wii u games they were desperately releasing

If they can't procure enough OLED screens (they just started the negotiations 3 days ago) for the presumably April launch date, then releasing the LCD model first followed by an OLED model in November 2024 is a smart business plan.

Yeah, the OLED could be for a "Pro" equivalent...

...which might involve a dock with some processing in it (like a somewhat better GPU). Or maybe it'd have the same specs but with unlocked/higher clocks and better cooling to compensate.

Nah its true

Seriously ever since the switch nintendo has made games, remasters and remakes and has literally sat on them waiting to release them when theres a gap, earliest rumour of enage was that it was originally made for the 3ds then development switched to the switch, game went gold in 2021, mario thousand doors and afew zelda remasters were also rumoured 2 years ago nintendo probably 2 years ahead on there new console anyways, look at how many wii u games they were desperately releasing

Interesting. On the one hand, they're basically soft-vaulting completed games to wait until they need them, to release them. On the other hand, I think it's a smart strategy. Their games take less time to make compared to Sony and even Microsoft, they cost less to make, and they've streamlined their production since they aren't developing for two wholly unique hardware packages anymore. They also don't have to bother with porting to other platforms like PC, the way Microsoft and Sony do.

So it's very feasible they are completing certain games (or lots of games) years ahead of release and just choosing when to release them. Gives them additional time to go and tweak things here and there as well with plenty of padding time for Q&A. They don't get a lot of the typical big 3P AAA games (that'll probably change with Switch 2) to pad out revenue but their own games tend to do well enough and in some cases extremely well in sales with high profit margins to more than make up for it.

Dude let it run 2 YEARS STRAIGHT.

OLED burn-in is a nightmare for me because I almost thought I saw it on my laptop yesterday after playing a game. But it went away after a restart; turns out it was probably just the program not fully flushing itself out of memory or whatever and it left a faint ghost image in a small part of the screen.

I otherwise take quite good care of the laptop and the screen (only microfiber cloths for cleaning, no erosive chemicals) and barely ever use the touchscreen features so that freaked me out for a little. But modern OLEDs are supposed to have pixel cleaning features built into them to help with preventing burn-in, so it should be good.

Last edited:

yurinka

My bet for Switch 2 continues being November 2024, and probably not featuring OLED screen at launch.

If Nintendo may have something OLED, I assume may be a minor revision of the Switch 1 OLED.

Last edited:
My bet for Switch 2 continues being November 2024, and probably not featuring OLED screen at launch.

If Nintendo may have something OLED, I assume may be a minor revision of the Switch 1 OLED.

Why would they do another OLED revision for Switch 1 if they want Switch owners to transition to Switch 2 sooner rather than later (I'm assuming)? Unless a minor revision would just call for very slight QoL improvements to the production process and reducing the costs a tad.

November 2024 could happen, but I'd say it's 50/50 for Fall or Spring. Again, the Switch itself had great success with a Spring launch in 2017, I'd even argue it helped them with early momentum and in turn that helped them get more sales lifetime-wise than they probably would have if they waited for November. They could, also do a sort of soft rolling launch starting on Spring and gradually increasing availability throughout the year, with much wider and "regular" availability in November.

I know that probably gives some callbacks to the Saturn launch but this wouldn't be a "surprise" thing; Nintendo could notify all retailers and still ensure there's decent enough stock they would get from the earlier launch up throughout to Fall. Customers would know, obviously, so no surprise there. If they're wanting to get out ahead of a PS5 Pro and maybe (if it's even happening) Xbox Series X refresh, launching in Spring wouldn't be bad at all as availability improves through the year and more Switch owners prepare to upgrade to Switch 2 as Fall approaches.

yurinka

Why would they do another OLED revision for Switch 1 if they want Switch owners to transition to Switch 2 sooner rather than later (I'm assuming)? Unless a minor revision would just call for very slight QoL improvements to the production process and reducing the costs a tad.

November 2024 could happen, but I'd say it's 50/50 for Fall or Spring. Again, the Switch itself had great success with a Spring launch in 2017, I'd even argue it helped them with early momentum and in turn that helped them get more sales lifetime-wise than they probably would have if they waited for November. They could, also do a sort of soft rolling launch starting on Spring and gradually increasing availability throughout the year, with much wider and "regular" availability in November.

I know that probably gives some callbacks to the Saturn launch but this wouldn't be a "surprise" thing; Nintendo could notify all retailers and still ensure there's decent enough stock they would get from the earlier launch up throughout to Fall. Customers would know, obviously, so no surprise there. If they're wanting to get out ahead of a PS5 Pro and maybe (if it's even happening) Xbox Series X refresh, launching in Spring wouldn't be bad at all as availability improves through the year and more Switch owners prepare to upgrade to Switch 2 as Fall approaches.
I meant a minor revision, meaning the same Switch OLED model with the same specs, same name, same everything but just with cost optimizations, like using cheaper parts etc. to increase its profit margins to maybe compensate the Switch 2 being released at a small loss (I think won't be the case and Switch 2 will be sold at a profit since day 1). To have it as the only Switch 1 SKU available, as a cheaper Swich 2 SKU during the first few Switch 2 years, but not being able to play Switch 2 exclusive games.

Nintendo also mentioned they won't release Switch 2 this FY, meaning no March release. They also mentioned that wanted to manufacture enough units to have a particularly strong shipment since day one. That sounds to me as a November release.

Last edited:

Ornoku

I can't wait to pay 10 dollars a game to upgrade the current switch games I own to switch 2 versions.

Deerock71

Just please be 7.5-8", 7" is too small.
I'm 52, and mostly playing my Switch OLED in tabletop mode with a pro controller. Gen-X eyes must be made of sterner stuff, because this is gaming heaven to me (seriously, if you see a physical copy of Nayuta: Boundless Trails in the wild...BUY NOW and thank me later).

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'm 52, and mostly playing my Switch OLED in tabletop mode with a pro controller. Gen-X eyes must be made of sterner stuff, because this is gaming heaven to me (seriously, if you see a physical copy of Nayuta: Boundless Trails in the wild...BUY NOW and thank me later).

I'm almost as old as you and the idea of playing a 7" screen in tabletop mode from 3 or 4 feet away is akin to playing ps5 on a 20" tv. Maybe you have eagle eyes......

8" or bust. And give me 1080p too.

Deerock71

I'm almost as old as you and the idea of playing a 7" screen in tabletop mode from 3 or 4 feet away is akin to playing ps5 on a 20" tv. Maybe you have eagle eyes......

8" or bust. And give me 1080p too.
I'm not OPPOSED to 8", but 7" is more than acceptable to me, and it wouldn't stop me from a purchase.

tr1p1ex

not happening spring 2024. because they aren't going to announce it this year.

they aren't going to do an OLED and LCD side by side at launch. no need too at launch. And surely wouldn't do it for a $50 price difference.

Nah they will go with a screen that provides best bang for the buck at scale.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
not happening spring 2024. because they aren't going to announce it this year.
Why can't they announce it in Jan04 and release in Apr04?

Nintendo has almost completely ditched the long drawn out PR cycles. Apple announced an iPhone and in a month it's available. There's no need to announce half a year in advance these day, 3-4 months is fine for a PR cycle.

I don't see them releasing it in fall next year, when the only announced games are sidelines and remakes.

I'm seeing the Switch 2 releasing day of the Splatoon 3 expansion.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Seems very last minute to start negotiating for panels, either this won't be at launch or launch is in late 2024.

I'd rather they launch later with OLED as default then launch earlier with LCD.

Laieon

Nintendo has almost completely ditched the long drawn out PR cycles. Apple announced an iPhone and in a month it's available. There's no need to announce half a year in advance these day, 3-4 months is fine for a PR cycle.

I don't see them releasing it in fall next year, when the only announced games are sidelines and remakes.

I think we're definitely in an interesting spot right now in terms of marketing when you have some companies, like Microsoft or Rockstar, announcing stuff years before they're released (although 2025 is going to be here before we know it), and other companies like Apple, Google, Valve, and to a lesser extent Nintendo announcing stuff just a couple weeks or months ahead of their release date. I know that personally, it seemed like for the longest time in the early to mid 2010s everyone was doing long, drawn out announcements and hype cycles years before anything was expected to hit store shelves and it just became exhausting; sometimes I skipped releases entirely because by the time the game finally did come out I was just so tired of hearing about it.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Having two choices of screen at launch with two significantly different prices is a move very unlike Nintendo. Until I hear it straight from the horse’s mouth, I’m not even going to entertain the idea.

tr1p1ex

It's not a matter of it can't possibly happen. It's a matter of what is likely. And they aren't going to announce in January and release in April. Too soon.

They needed 5 months between launch and announcement with the Switch. And we would have big leaks by now if the announcement was January. Almost everything about the iPHone leaks well before the reveal these days.

Also we have at least 3 announced titles plus some DLC releasing 1st half 2024. TotK selling well. SMB Wonder just released and is a big title. Pikmin 4. WarioWare. Mario RPG. All titles released in past ~7 months. No hurry. Plus feels like we have plenty of console inventory left yet.

So almost surely not happening in January.

I don't see anything to be gained by releasing in lock step with a Splatoon 3 expansion. If anything the S3 expansion gives them more time to ready the next console and the games for it. Yes the sidelines and remakes are signs of a new console launching soon. But those, the recent releases and the back catalog are enough to carry for 6 months at least.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's not a matter of it can't possibly happen. It's a matter of what is likely. And they aren't going to announce in January and release in April. Too soon.

They needed 5 months between launch and announcement with the Switch. And we would have big leaks by now if the announcement was January. Almost everything about the iPHone leaks well before the reveal these days.

Also we have at least 3 announced titles plus some DLC releasing 1st half 2024. TotK selling well. SMB Wonder just released and is a big title. Pikmin 4. WarioWare. Mario RPG. All titles released in past ~7 months. No hurry. Plus feels like we have plenty of console inventory left yet.

I don't see anything to be gained by releasing in lock step with a Splatoon 3 expansion. If anything the S3 expansion gives them more time to ready the next console and the games for it. Yes the sidelines and remakes are signs of a new console launching soon. But those, the recent releases and the back catalog are enough to carry for 6 months at least.

This man GETS IT!

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח

Maybe.

I dunno why they would need 5 months from announcement to launch? for what?

And we do have leaks, spec wise there's a bunch.

The announced roster to me is a big indication it's filler, giving Switch support that's the basic of basic. 3DS also got titles while the Switch released.

nial

Gold Member
Q1 2024 launch is not happening...
November 2024 release, and cross-gen titles all the way to late 2026/early 2027 is my guess. 3DS was still getting first-party games as late as March 2019.

Kabelly

rumour or not i'm really hoping the first version of the switch successor does not regress the screen quality just because of some belief they want us to double dip. I virtually never buy refreshes unless it's needed. Switch OLED wasn't needed for me since it's the same power and I play my switch 99% on the big screen. I've purposely avoided buying the refreshes waiting for the real sucessor and if they go back to the LCD that will be so disappointing.

tr1p1ex

Maybe.

The announced roster to me is a big indication it's filler, giving Switch support that's the basic of basic. 3DS also got titles while the Switch released.

Sony took 7 months from announcement to launch with the PS5. Nintendo took 5 for Switch. The story is similar with other past consoles. AT the end of the day do you trust their expertise and past methods or do you trust your expertise more? I'm with the past history. I don't see any reason that the rough time needed would change.

I imagine they need that long to get ahead of everything leaking and to build some hype.

I haven't seen any leaks that suggest an announcement is imminent.

The filler is a sign that a new console is coming. Doesn't mean it is coming tomorrow or being announced tomorrow. The situation is not desperate. And I remember when Nintendo released the Gameboy Micro almost a year after the DS launched back in the day. ;)

All signs pointing to the latter half of 2024 at the earliest. Too many games have been released in the past ~7 months including 2 major titles as well as a lot of "filler" already announced for 1st half 2024.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

rumour or not i'm really hoping the first version of the switch successor does not regress the screen quality just because of some belief they want us to double dip. I virtually never buy refreshes unless it's needed. Switch OLED wasn't needed for me since it's the same power and I play my switch 99% on the big screen. I've purposely avoided buying the refreshes waiting for the real sucessor and if they go back to the LCD that will be so disappointing.
i hear ya but if you don't play handheld 99% of the time then why would going back to LCD be so disappointing? IT would seem to be a nothing burger in that case. ;)

Also realize whatever choice they make on the screen is about getting the most bang for the buck. They have to weigh the tradeoffs. Quality gain vs price differential. Size vs quality. Size vs price. Resolution vs screen quality. Spending more on the screen vs spending more on something else...

Plus some LCDs are much nicer than others. I wouldn't lump them all in the same category. And part of the reason the OLED Switch screen was nicer was it having roughly 25% larger more screen area.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Sony took 7 months from announcement to launch with the PS5. Nintendo took 5 for Switch. The story is similar with other past consoles. AT the end of the day do you trust their expertise and past methods or do you trust your expertise more? I'm with the past history. I don't see any reason that the rough time needed would change.

I imagine they need that long to get ahead of everything leaking and to build some hype.

I haven't seen any leaks that suggest an announcement is imminent.

The filler is a sign that a new console is coming. Doesn't mean it is coming tomorrow or being announced tomorrow. The situation is not desperate. And I remember when Nintendo released the Gameboy Micro almost a year after the DS launched back in the day. ;)

All signs pointing to the latter half of 2024 at the earliest. Too many games have been released in the past ~7 months including 2 major titles as well as a lot of "filler" already announced for 1st half 2024.
It could be just wishful thinking on my part, but I looking at the release schedule tells me the Switch is going to nose dive in sales, and much like the Wii U the new hardware can suffer from loss of momentum.

Since I do support Nintendo, I think releasing the console as early as they can next year would still have a momentum for sales, instead of dying out. And I could be wrong, they could have that special game that would take it to the next level.

It makes more sense to me to release it early in the year.

tr1p1ex

It could be just wishful thinking on my part, but I looking at the release schedule tells me the Switch is going to nose dive in sales, and much like the Wii U the new hardware can suffer from loss of momentum.

Since I do support Nintendo, I think releasing the console as early as they can next year would still have a momentum for sales, instead of dying out. And I could be wrong, they could have that special game that would take it to the next level.

It makes more sense to me to release it early in the year.

Momentum means nothing at the end of the day. Think about it. What "momentum" did the Switch have behind it? Zero? Yet how well did it sell? Probably Nintendo's greatest platform commercially speaking yet.

It all really just depends on the console and the games for it. As you said, the "special game that would take it to the next level." That's what really matters. The short term timing of its release means nothing in comparison.

I think the toughest part for Nintendo is topping the Switch and its games. I don't think it's that easy. A faster prettier Switch probably not going to be enough.

Last edited:

Woopah

Maybe.

For me there are two main reasons:

1. Get ahead of the major leaks that will happen once the device enters mass production
2. Allow third parties to start advertising, building hype and taking pre-orders for Switch 2 games.

I think they'll also want to ensure their investors are fully informed as well, mostly due to point 1.

Kabelly

i hear ya but if you don't play handheld 99% of the time then why would going back to LCD be so disappointing? IT would seem to be a nothing burger in that case. ;)

Also realize whatever choice they make on the screen is about getting the most bang for the buck. They have to weigh the tradeoffs. Quality gain vs price differential. Size vs quality. Size vs price. Resolution vs screen quality. Spending more on the screen vs spending more on something else...

Plus some LCDs are much nicer than others. I wouldn't lump them all in the same category. And part of the reason the OLED Switch screen was nicer was it having roughly 25% larger more screen area.
They have to make tradeoffs, sure, but this is still the successor we're talking about. Currently the best version of the Switch you can buy today has a great battery life, a great new kickstand, and a big near-bezeless OLED screen. Why would I want the Switch 2 to have anything less than that?

At the very least I would like options at launch but this device could still be a 2025 thing in my heart.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
LCD on the first model. 3 or 4 years later they release a OLED model, just like they did this gen.
Sad The Office GIF

I predict Mario 8 4K Deluxe Remastered, Mario Galaxy Reborn, Spl4toon, Pokemane, Zelda 4K. 4K.
I would be astoundingly surprised if Nintendo started caring about 4k whatsoever and began to market games with 4k. They're yet to reach full HD across the board.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

They have to make tradeoffs, sure, but this is still the successor we're talking about. Currently the best version of the Switch you can buy today has a great battery life, a great new kickstand, and a big near-bezeless OLED screen. Why would I want the Switch 2 to have anything less than that?

At the very least I would like options at launch but this device could still be a 2025 thing in my heart.
Does anyone want any one feature or specific aspect of a feature to be worse on paper? I doubt it.

That's where tradeoffs come into play.

What if they can put in a nice 8" LCD for the same price as a 7" OLED?

What if there is worse battery life than the OLED Switch but it has a much faster cpu/gpu?

What if the kickstand is worse than the OLED but better than the original Switch? Ok no tradeoff there but there could be tradeoffs or reasons for that like the design/form factor may not lead to as robust a kickstand as the Switch OLED had. They may find the Switch OLED stand to be over engineered and can come up with one that does 95% of the job with less material and space and save a few pennies. Maybe they decide to put the stand feature into a $10 or $20 accessory instead to help keep the overall price lower because they put more $$$ into other features?

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
They will not release a console until third parties have had time to make games. They learned that lesson with the n64.

Top Bottom