• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Obsidian countdown teaser [Update 2: Kickstarter? One more day!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sentenza

ibZQAi.gif

Well, it was somehow expected, but I'm still freaking out right now.

Famassu

This can't be real. I must be reading this text wrong. The words are tricks played on my feeble mind, surely.
ummm... you didn't know that about Obsidian? I mean... it's not like they haven't been doing many of the best WRPGs in recent (and already not so recent) years, though often somewhat marred with problems due to the publishers involved.

ummm... you didn't know that about Obsidian? I mean... it's not like they haven't been doing many of the best WRPGs in recent (and already not so recent) years, though often somewhat marred with problems due to the publishers involved.

I think he meant the part about bringing that type of game back.

zkylon

zkylewd
They just better do a bug free game once and for all like Bethesda and Bioware did with Skyrim and with not that much reading please
lol

Minsc

Gold Member
Now I am less excited. Kickstarter means that whatever it is, is not even in development, or not for real.

Dungeon Siege 4 in 9 months, or spiritual successor to Torment / Black Hound / something new in 18 months? Just because it's not started doesn't mean it must be worse. Plus it could have some sort of neat documentary or transparency to the process which you wouldn't see outside of a Kickstarter, if that is even what it is.

Acosta

Now I am less excited. Kickstarter means that whatever it is, is not even in development, or not for real.

I'm more excited. This mean a pure Obsidian project. No license, no publisher, no artificial barriers. Just unaltered RPG awesomeness.

My wallet is ready and I'm a patient man.

Dungeon Siege 4 in 9 months, or spiritual successor to Torment / Black Hound / something new in 18 months? Just because it's not started doesn't mean it must be worse. Plus it could have some sort of neat documentary or transparency to the process which you wouldn't see outside of a Kickstarter, if that is even what it is.

It's also not necessarily not started.

Corto

I'm more excited. This mean a pure Obsidian project. No license, no publisher, no artificial barriers. Just unaltered RPG awesomeness.

Exactly. Obsidian's own IP. If successful could mean a lot to this company in terms of leverage in future negotiations or independence from publishers or licenses owners. Though totally expected, sooner or latter. I'm more excited with this news than ever.

Herla

I know it's nothing, but Chris Avellone has a new twitter image with a more detailed Ouroboros-thing.

2JdLf.png

I can see it as a physical thing for a collector's edition.

Sentenza

Bingo.
Also, trusting to that Kickstarter profile, they are specifically aiming to recreate something similar to my favorite branch of their past productions.

derFeef

I actually meant that if it were a regular announcement, the game would have been in production for some time already and a trailer/media/info blowout would happen. Kickstarter generally means no "real" information or media about the game up until some point into production.

Sentenza

I actually meant that if it were a regular announcement, the game would have been in production for some time already and a trailer/media/info blowout would happen. Kickstarter generally means no "real" information or media about the game up until some point into production.
Actually that's the exception for those few who can afford that approach based on their reputation (which could be the case for Obsidian, by the way).

Kickstarter usually means "I have this prototype and I will use your money to improve/expand it".

derFeef

Actually that's the exception for those few who can afford that approach based on their reputation (which could be the case for Obsidian, by the way).

Kickstarter usually means "I have this prototype and I will use your money to improve/expand it".

If it's a rejected pitch and they can show some stuff then sign me up. I really do like Obisidian games, even DS3, just for reference :)

Corto

I know it's nothing, but Chris Avellone has a new twitter image with a more detailed Ouroboros-thing.

2JdLf.png

I can see it as a physical thing for a collector's edition.

Pledge 300$ or more - The Eternal Return package: You'll get all the rewards from previous tiers plus a book with the original concept art, a novella by Chris Avellone, and a numbered bronze Ouroboros ring.

zkylon

zkylewd
Hey don't worry about the cupcakes. With things as they are for Obs these days, they'll settle for whatever free meal you can bring...

to be completely honest I really hope it's not a wot game. alpha protocol was the 2nd best rpg of this century so I'm definitely crossing fingers for a new IP. that being said, an ad&d setting wouldn't necessarily preclude some incredible writing and creativity. hell, planescape is an ad&d setting.

Tex117

Banned
Yeah, these guys are the best writers in the business.

Even DS3 had better writing that pretty much anything out there.

They don't get enough credit.

epmode

to be completely honest I really hope it's not a wot game. alpha protocol was the 2nd best rpg of this century so I'm definitely crossing fingers for a new IP. that being said, an ad&d setting wouldn't necessarily preclude some incredible writing and creativity. hell, planescape is an ad&d setting.

If it's a Kickstarter project, there's no chance that it'll be licensed. Not if it's the game Chris Avellone has been dancing around, anyway.

Decado

Even less interested, if this is a Kickstarter campaign. These guys haven't done anything worthwhile since starting Obsidian, IMO. I can live without another bug strewn mess.

If it's a Kickstarter project, there's no chance that it'll be licensed. Not if it's the game Chris Avellone has been dancing around, anyway.

well that's a good point, then my hopes of a new IP are even more likely!

Even less interested, if this is a Kickstarter campaign. These guys haven't done anything worthwhile since starting Obsidian, IMO. I can live without another bug strewn mess.

your opinions are objectively wrong. also, there's something totally incongruous and nonsensical about being less interested if it's a kickstarter while bemoaning their track-record for bugs given that the pressure of working under the thumb of a major publisher is more likely to lead to rushed and incomplete projects than independent development.

ZoddGutts

Hey now Dungeon Siege III wasn't a bug mess, it wasn't worth getting though.

hemtae

You would think that being a kickstarter would help with the bugs

I dislike apples and I dislike oranges, and as I express this, I believe that somehow I can make very clear here how I think that one is related to the other.

edit: yeah edit that, I don't want to be the dick on top of the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom