• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon Merchandise Line Announced for Japan: "Look Upon The Stars"

Coffinhal

It won't be a remaster though. At the very least it will be a third version, but judging from how SM ended I'd say it's more likely to be a sequel set in Alola. Unless sequels are considered remasters or ports (cough Splatoon :p)

If it's something like Emerald/Platinum then it's a remaster/enhanced edition, the content is too light to be something else
If it's like Black&White2 with a new story, new protagonists, new régions/arenas then it's a sequel

If it is really called "Stars" it doesn't sound like a sequel, at least if you look up at what they did before

Besides I loved SM (I still need to finish the Counsel 4) but I wouldn't play it again on Switch if it was just a remaster, way too linear and rigid, without enough choice in the Pokémons you encounter (that Gen1 is still everywhere...) or sidequests

Kyzer

Banned
It won't be a remaster though. At the very least it will be a third version, but judging from how SM ended I'd say it's more likely to be a sequel set in Alola. Unless sequels are considered remasters or ports (cough Splatoon :p)
Surely you mean Kanto

Steiner

Banned
My Pokémon source (who is a secondary, not a primary source) doesn't like that this is being connected to the Stars rumor at all. He believes that the next games will be Sinnoh remakes, and also believes that the Eurogamer rumor is BS. He says that we're years away from the next Pokemon release.

I think Eurogamer's report is probably legit, for what it's worth, so meh.

The platform this is going to be for will probably decide which system I get. Looking into getting that 2DS XL and getting a bunch of great games as I never got a 3DS. If this is exclusive to switch, it will probably sway me to get a switch.

Kyzer

Banned
My Pokémon source (who is a secondary, not a primary source) doesn't like that this is being connected to the Stars rumor at all. He believes that the next games will be Sinnoh remakes, and also believes that the Eurogamer rumor is BS. He says that we're years away from the next Pokemon release.

Sounds like they dont know anything

javac

Pokemon Stars released for the Nintendo 3DS, 3DS Player add-on announced for the Nintendo Switch at Space World.

Look upon the stars at Space World.

The platform this is going to be for will probably decide which system I get. Looking into getting that 2DS XL and getting a bunch of great games as I never got a 3DS. If this is exclusive to switch, it will probably sway me to get a switch.

Wait, Sun and Moon didn't convince you to buy a 3DS but Stars somehow will? Its not going to be terribly different than Sun and Moon either way

Sounds like they dont know anything
And we're never "years away" from the next pokemon release. In the case of Stars, its not like we're talking about a new generation of pokemon either.

Kyzer

Banned
Wait, Sun and Moon didn't convince you to buy a 3DS but Stars somehow will? Its not going to be terribly different than Sun and Moon either way

Looks like hes saying he wants to get a 3DS right there in the post you quoted, but might decide to get switch instead if stars is announced.

And we're never "years away" from the next pokemon release.

Yeah exactly lol

diaspora

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of the Stars exclusive to Switch? I would crack up at the expense of Eurogamer if this ended up happening.

Neoxon

Don't they usually do one pair of remakes per system? Theoretically, you can still play the original Sinnoh games on the DS.

And we're never "years away" from the next pokemon release. In the case of Stars, its not like we're talking about a new generation of pokemon either.
I mean I feel him. I stopped myself from spending $150 when the stars rumors first started much rather play on the big screen and rather have the newer console than buy the 3ds. So hopefully stars is real and not 3ds exclusive

Neoxon

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of the Stars exclusive to Switch? I would crack up at the expense of Eurogamer if this ended up happening.
Eurogamer & MCV were pretty specific about Game Freak being the ones behind the rumored Stars, & they only make the mainline titles.

KtSlime

How did this Game Freak is afraid of making Pokemon on high end hardware narrative come about? Do they strive for bleeding edge graphics? No, but they don't have to, they are freaking Pokemon.

brinstar

I don't see how we can be years away from the next release when they've already revealed Ash Hat Pikachu and Marshadow, meaning Gen 7 has no more new Pokemon left to keep it going.

Crayolan

I can just imagine that thread lol. Everyone would be so pissed but I'd just be hyped for a new mystery dungeon. They got the gameplay perfect in Super, put that together with a story and soundtrack as good as Explorers of Sky and you have the GOAT mystery dungeon game.

How did this Game Freak is afraid of making Pokemon on high end hardware narrative come about? Do they strive for bleeding edge graphics? No, but they don't have to, they are freaking Pokemon.

They almost never release a mainline game within the first 2 years of a consoles release so people think they are afraid to adapt to the new consoles advanced graphics when in reality they just want to release their games on the consoles with the higher install base.

Steiner

Banned
I don't see how we can be years away from the next release when they've already revealed Ash Hat Pikachu and Marshadow, meaning Gen 7 has no more new Pokemon left to keep it going.

I'm with y'all. And I'm actually really out of touch with Pokémon generally. Just wanted to throw that out there (for what it's worth).

I don't know but I'll take it over the 'Nintendo would never release a home console/portable hybrid because Game Freak would refuse to support it' narrative.

Aleh

Surely you mean Kanto
No screw Kanto please (and it would be too much work for something pre-gen8)
If it's something like Emerald/Platinum then it's a remaster/enhanced edition, the content is too light to be something else
If it's like Black&White2 with a new story, new protagonists, new régions/arenas then it's a sequel

If it is really called "Stars" it doesn't sound like a sequel, at least if you look up at what they did before

Platinum light in content? It had so much more stuff it really can't be considered a remaster. It had new areas, improved graphics, new characters, new Pokémon forms, revamped story, the freaking Battle Frontier, and more.

Gold and Silver were sequels to Red and Blue, also. The only other case we have is B2W2 and that worked because the mascot got two new forms since it merged with the other two legendaries that gen. They really can't do that again so a single version sequel starring Necrozma, called whatever, would easily work this time.

Rafavert

Looking at the history of Pokemon releases, they would never release one on a platform because said platform "needs" it.

Pokemon, like Minecraft, Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter will always be released on the platforms they believe will sell more copies, end of story.

This is the reason why there has never been a serious attempt at a core Pokemon on consoles, or why B&W2 was on DS.

If the Switch continues to sell very well and works as a social platform, Pokemon will be there, if not, then it won't. It's the way it is.

The situation isn't quite the same, though.

For one, the Switch needs everything it can get. Remember, this time it's not Nintendo's handheld that's at stake. Nintendo is betting it's future on the Switch and Pokémon would certainly help secure that future.

Then there's the fact SunMoon engine was created alongside whatever GF is working on for the Switch, so the engine should be compatible with it or at least be an easy port.

Also, GF created high resolution models for all the Pokémon, so high that XY, ORAS and SuMo run poorly.

So far we never had these 3 factors (high dependance on the next new platform, potentially compatible engine and futureproofing).

Calm Mind

Even if a rumored port/sequel to SuMo is correct, it will not be Switch exclusive. Nintendo just announced the New 2DSXL and support for it beyond 2017.

As for this, I think it's purely coincidence.

Neoxon

Even if a rumored port/sequel to SuMo is correct, it will not be Switch exclusive. Nintendo just announced the New 2DSXL and support for it beyond 2017.

As for this, I think it's purely coincidence.
Pokémon's gonna have to ditch the 3DS eventually, plus some of the datamined/scrapped features for Sun/Moon were likely too much for the OG 3DS. If Stars also comes to the 3DS, I wouldn't be surprised if it was only the n3DS. But as of now, I'm with Eurogamer & MCV on this one.

We'll likely get our amswer by the end of the month, anyway.

Pokémon's gonna have to ditch the 3DS eventually, plus some of the datamined/scrapped features for Sun/Moon were likely too much for the OG 3DS. If Stars also comes to the 3DS, I wouldn't be surprised if it was only the n3DS. But as of now, I'm with Eurogamer & MCV on this one.

We'll likely get our amswer by the end of the month, anyway.

Like what?

Neiteio

That'd be amazing if the rumors are true and Stars is a Switch exclusive. Certainly anything is possible, but GF would be taking a gamble and forgoing easy sales on 3DS by not making it a cross-gen title.

I hope that it's Switch exclusive, because that would pretty much secure the Switch's future. TPC likes to announce things on their own terms, so maybe a Stars reveal is planned for May 20, the same day as this new merchandise line?

Rafavert

Like what?

Only one I can think of is the Pokémon following the player feature. The game has data with all of them animated.

I know the Nintendo/GameFreak relationship is a tad hard to understand, but is Nintendo in a position to demand GameFreak release a game on the Switch only rather than on the 3DS/cross gen?

Was there not a rumour that Sun and Moon was made for the Switch but they didn't want to wait until 2017 to release it so made a 3DS version?

Kyzer

Banned
Only one I can think of is the Pokémon following the player feature. The game has data with all of them animated.

I know the Nintendo/GameFreak relationship is a tad hard to understand, but is Nintendo in a position to demand GameFreak release a game on the Switch only rather than on the 3DS/cross gen?

No not really but im sure theyd listen

Cartho

No, I doubt they could flat out demand that GF make something.

HOWEVER, they DO own about 1/3 of Pokemon as far as I recall, and if they really wanted Stars on Switch they would do what Sony / MS do: offer some financial incentives / technical expertise to make it happen.

If I was one of the high ups at Nintendo I'd be busting my ass to get Pokemon on Switch. It is the GTA of Nintendo consoles in terms of its ability to sell hardware. I mean Sun and Moon were single handedly responsible for a stock shortage of 3DS hardware in the UK from launch in November right through to January. It seems a total no brainer from Nintendo's PoV - as soon as they had dev kits available way back last year, send some round to GF with some engineers and some cash and say "let's get this working on Switch".

That is 100% what Sony or MS would do for one of their biggest franchises and if Nintendo haven't done similar then they are 100% insane.

Pokemaniac

They probably could force Game Freak to release on specific platforms if they wanted to, since they are the publisher of the main series games.

That said, Game Freak is not without leverage, so I don't think Nintendo would be particularly eager to try and force them to do something they don't want to do.

I think, but I don't remember the source.

I thought that was only speculation.

Crayolan

Like what?

Sun and Moon contain unused walking and running animations for all 801 pokemon, including alternate formes. See here. It's speculated these were from a scrapped pokemon following the player feature a la HGSS. Since the game already ran like shit, it's not too farfetch'd to think they cut it because the 3DS couldn't handle it, but it'd work great on the Switch

Was there not a rumour that Sun and Moon was made for the Switch but they didn't want to wait until 2017 to release it so made a 3DS version?

Ehh. I won't say that Nintendo literally never thought about putting Sun and Moon on the Switch, because obviously I can't say that for certain...

But Sun and Moon were definitely intended to be the 20th anniversary year games, and the Switch was never sure to release in 2016.

I'd say it's unlikely that Sun and Moon were considered as Switch games for very long, if at all.

Top Bottom