• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon Info: I AM THE PRINCIPAL OF ODAYAKAJUKU, HIYAKKI!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The game takes place in Odayaka Village (I think the dub name has been confirmed as Serene Village), located in the middle of an expansive world that is greatly covered up. Might the regions covered up possibly represent the locations seen in Mystery Dungeon Explorers and Gates to Infinity? After all, the region seen here greatly resembles the one seen in the original Mystery Dungeon duo!

KP8clBz.jpg

xLKraUS.jpg

In Odayaka Village, as your character has lost their memory and become a Pokemon, they are given a place to stay thanks to a friendly Nuzleaf, and then decide to attend the Pokemon School!

There's a lot of interesting characters here....

First, there's Pancham and his thug Shelmet who love to pick on poor Goomy. Seriously, fuck these guys. D-don't bully Goomy-chan!!! Deerling is the school's idol, who despite her kind and friendly nature can be quite forceful and strong-willed. Espurr's the quiet, yet super-intelligent smart kid. Farfetch'd is the firm homeroom teacher and Watchog is the over-exasperated and frantic Vice-Principal.

QXWj71S.jpg

The Principal of the Pokemon School is Principal Simipour (Hiyakki), he's the type of Principal who's really "down with the kids". I hope someone gets the reference in the thread title. :(
r2h16yn.png

A big new feature in the game is the "Connection Orb", which replaces the Bulletin Board and is how you receive Quests from various Pokemon. Completing Quests open more Quests, and may even lead to meeting Legendary Pokemon. I might be mistaken, but it seems this might be the new way to Recruit Pokemon as opposed to the old Recruitment Method seen in previous games!

CcpvokY.jpg

There are a ton of Legendary Pokemon appearing in the game...possibly all of them (except Volcanion), and the Mega and Primal Evolutions will also make an appearance! These Pokemon you'll fight, but you'll also ally with them! They take up a lot of space due to larger models, perhaps there are some areas they can't be used in because of this...

ECyAg7k.jpg

And of course, Hoopa appears! WATCH OUR MOVIE! Hoopa is summoned with the "Majin Lamp", and will take the appearance of one of his two forms. Besides serving as an ally, he can also summon Legendary Pokemon like in the new Pokemon Movie OPENING JULY 18TH IN THEATERS! However, these Legendary Pokemon might be your allies---or, they might end up attacking you!

JAR6GbB.jpg
vUFH4CU.jpg

ZeroX03

Banned
This game just keeps sounding better and better. Looking forward to this more than the last mainline to be honest.

Stoof

Explorers of Sky was my jam so I really hope they get it right this time around. It's looking good so far though.

maxcriden

Famitsu review scores:

Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon (3DS) – 9/9/9/9 [36/40]

(Via NintendoEverything.com and GoNitnendo.com)

Watch Da Birdie

Famitsu review scores:

Ohhhhhhhhhhh yeah.

Best Mysterious Dungeon ever?! Gen VI is saved!

Too bad they couldn't do a worldwide release like the main games though...s-sorry UK fans.

Famitsu review scores:

Any comparisons to other Mystery Dungeon games? This looks perfect so far!

This game just keeps sounding better and better. Looking forward to this more than the last mainline to be honest.
Yeah, same here. It's honestly one of my most anticipated titles of 2015, I can't wait for it!

Watch Da Birdie

... Is that school thing real or is that a joke? Its sooooo kiddie, even for pokemon. Still gonna buy it tho

From what I've observed, I think it's just a narrative device...I'm fairly confident only the real early parts of the game actually involve the school, and I imagine early on you "graduate" it and join some Adventure Group or what have you.

So it's not gonna be like Persona 4 throughout or anything.

Zalman

I just looked up more info on the game and found some more artwork. It's probably old, but in case others haven't seen it:

800px-Waiwai_Town_artwork.png

800px-Expedition_Society_artwork_PSMD.png

Sagitario

This will be my first MD game. I don't know why, but it's the first Pokémon one that looks appealing to me (I'm going to blame Mega Charizard Y and all those legendaries).

Watch Da Birdie

Haven't seen that new art yet, but yeah, I imagine Ampharos and co. are the Guild that you join after the initial school chapters...

It seems you go to different towns so I think their are multiple guilds. I might pop by the official Japanese site later and see how well I can try and read the new info with my limited skills haha.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Yeah I'm definitely interested in this but I would like some impressions first. Strange that we've got nothing yet.

Yeah I'm definitely interested in this but I would like some impressions first. Strange that we've got nothing yet.
I played the JPN version. It's fun and has a good story but is hard and has traps that can OHKO you without warning.

Anything else you need to know?

Zyrox

I played the JPN version. It's fun and has a good story but is hard and has traps that can OHKO you without warning.

Anything else you need to know?

Oh that is nice to hear that the story's good. Have you played Explorers of Sky? If yes, how does it compare to that, story and gameplay wise?

Kinsei

Banned
I've just beaten the first boss and made it to chapter 4 and I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm glad the personality test is back (I answered honestly and got my favorite starter!), the dungeons are as fun as they were at this point in the Explorers games, and the characters are cute. I can't really comment on the main plot as so far there have just been a few glimpses of it. All I really know at this point is that
Rayquaza
is scared.

Never played a Mystery Dungeon game before. Convince me to buy it please! :)

These are turn based dungeon crawler games so every time you take a step or attack your partner(s) will do the same and then all of the enemies in the dungeon will take their turn to move or attack. The combat works similarly to the way it does in the mainline games. You have four moves with a set amount of uses each. Each of these moves has a set range where they can affect the enemy (as you might imagine tackle and scratch can only hit what's directly in front of you, water gun has a long range, etc). If you run out of PP and elixirs to restore it you don't have to worry about struggling yourself to death as you have a really weak basic attack by hitting the A button. This move most likely won't get you through the latter floors of a dungeon but if you're on a boss it just might get you through if it is on it's last legs.

A major amount of the strategy in the game comes from dungeon prep. If you faint in a dungeon you will lose the money and items you're carrying so choose what you bring wisely. Your basic inventory will most likely consist of a couple apples (to make sure you don;t starve to death), a couple elixirs, and some healing items, but from there you have to think. Do you want to risk bringing along your sleep wand into a dungeon in case it has a boss at the end? Do you want to do a cold run with nothing just to get a sense of the Pokemon types inside in order to plan more effectively? Do you bring in a full stock of offensive items in the hopes that you make it through? Etc, etc.

This doesn't even get into the dungeons that force modifiers on you like resetting you to level 1 that were in past games. (Not sure if there are any in this new game, but I would assume there are).

I am surprised no OT, thought Joe might whip one up. How is the game for those who bought it?
Edit: Sound nice Kinsei, will pick it up tomorrow.

imjust1n

Banned
Yeah no big sites even talk about this game. I wonder if the review copy got in late. It looks cool it's the only mystery dungeon game that seemed cool.

Top Bottom