• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pope elected. Young (76), and from South America. Takes Pope Name "Francis"

Status
Not open for further replies.

KtSlime

Wikipedia updated:

Thanks, it's good to see he can read Latin, but I still think it is odd that he can't read the greek texts, being reliant on someone else's translation of a body of teachings you are supposed to be the chief evangelist of simply doesn't make sense to me.

According to veteran Vatican journalist Marco Politi, the initial traction in the papal vote was not for then-Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio.

“From the first leaks we understand that there was a strong candidate,” Politi told CNN’s Christiane Amanpour on Thursday. “The Italian Archbishop of Milan, Scola, who entered the conclave with the strong determination of his supporters to make him Pope But in the first ballots he couldn’t provoke an ‘avalanche effect’ to get more and more votes.”

Politi said that Scola then stopped campaigning and a compromise “bridge builder” like Cardinal Bergoglio began to lead the way and that man is now Pope Francis.
http://amanpour.blogs.cnn.com/2013/03/14/choosing-francis-behind-locked-doors/?hpt=hp_c2

“From the first leaks we understand that there was a strong candidate,” Politi told CNN’s Christiane Amanpour on Thursday. “The Italian Archbishop of Milan, Scola, who entered the conclave with the strong determination of his supporters to make him Pope But in the first ballots he couldn’t provoke an ‘avalanche effect’ to get more and more votes.”

Politi said that Scola then stopped campaigning and a compromise “bridge builder” like Cardinal Bergoglio began to lead the way and that man is now Pope Francis.

I've heard this repeated many times the last few days, so it must be true:

There is a saying among Vaticanologists: "He who enters the conclave as pope, leaves it as a cardinal."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papabile

BBC said:
"Pope Francis says he wants a "poor Church for the poor" as he confirms he took his name from the 12th Century saint, Francis of Assisi."
I think the Vatican is a despicable institution, but this quote makes me like the guy. However, the other stuff he stands for...

IceCold

I think the Vatican is a despicable institution, but this quote makes me like the guy. However, the other stuff he stands for...

TSzfgip.jpg

I'm curious. Is this pope against pedophilia practices among catholic priests? I think given the on-going scandals around the world, all incoming popes should be initiative minded by rebuking the practice, lest their papacy be roiled in the controversy like Benedict was. Who would have thought that in this day and age, his formative years as a member of the Hitler Youth be overshadowed by his complicit role in the sex abuse scandal.

Loxley

Comparing both Papal elections:

z5eK7Sf.jpg

Meh, I'm not that bothered by this. I mean, these people are essentially witnessing a historical event, why wouldn't the first thing they think to do be to whip out their phones and document it? I mean, it'd be one thing if they were taking photos of something horrible like Gaddafi's public execution, but in cases like this I think it's perfectly acceptable.

Hell I'd have my phone out like everyone else.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

Yeah if there is going to be Catholicism, I'm now glad he was elected. Didn't expect him to be a bold pope who could actually do as he wants. I thought the church was less flexible than this and that the pope could do little. A change in image is a good start. The enemy of my enemy is my ally, and if the church can help bring the focus on wealth inequalities then great.

Madness

I'm curious. Is this pope against pedophilia practices among catholic priests? I think given the on-going scandals around the world, all incoming popes should be initiative minded by rebuking the practice, lest their papacy be roiled in the controversy like Benedict was. Who would have thought that in this day and age, his formative years as a member of the Hitler Youth be overshadowed by his complicit role in the sex abuse scandal.

What kind of a dumb question is that? I'm not even catholic and I can tell you yes. Of course the pope is against pedophilia amongst priests. You think he actively condones the sexual abuse of children?

Let me let you in on a little secret. Pedophiles exist outside the Roman Catholic Church. They exist in almost every major religion, they exist on government, in schools, on college sports team, Hollywood directors etc.

But when you lead a congregation of 1.3 billion+ people, what can you really do? Can anyone really stop it or prevent it from happening? You can't prevent it anymore than you can prevent crime.

I hope the pope takes note of the scandals, takes note of the secrecy and cover ups trying to deflect criticism and resolves to change it and to deal with child molesters quickly and forcefully and to let the law of the land deal with them. That's the best anyone can hope for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom