• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS VITA LED compared to PS Vita OLED. (Screenshot)

My biggest problem with the new model, BY FAR, is the fact that it is not a single block.
The screen looks like it can be popped out.
I could live with the LCD display if the new vita looked just like the previous one.

So nope. Iguess I have to buy a spare OLED vita. =(

Groof

Will wait for a better comparison, but honestly, the LCD one is good enough. Of course it's probably gonna look less saturated when directly compared, but it'll probably be good for most people.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
dniYX8f.jpg

The new screen looks better here. Probably the angle?

It's in motion you'll see the biggest difference between the two screens. Especially 60fps games.

Comparing screenshots of two different screens and then viewing those screenshots on our LCD monitors makes this thread a little silly really.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
LCD version looks warmer; which is not necessary better or worse, but more of a preference thing (I prefer cooler). Will need info on blurring issues though.

kartu

Banned
First post: OLED is better hands down.
Second post: they are the same.

Could you do it with still images please, so that comparison is fair?

Yopis

Horrible looks like. another OG Vita for my spare it is. Sad for new owners stuck with that garbage lol.

StayDead

Most likely the angle and also the fact the OLED model has loads of fingerprints over it (I really wish people would wipe their screen after usage) :p

x-Lundz-x

I swear some of you guys make it sound like the difference is comparable to watching Alien on VHS compared to the blu-ray remaster.

I'll take the new version.

Kyoufu

The best thing about the new model is the START and SELECT buttons don't look like complete and utter shit to press.

marrec

Banned
The new screen isn't going to make people spontaneously vomit all over their game of Uncharted, so I think it'll be okay.

I'm sticking with my OLED though, fo sho.

If there's anything I can take from these two images, it's that it seems colorful games will suffer the most on the transition to LCD. Games with a duller palette will be fine/good enough.

I'm still gonna wait for a personal hands on comparison.

The new Vita is bigger, still gloss and has a worse screen.

smh so hard

So much is wrong with this post

It's only a few centimeters bigger on the surface, but it's thinner and lighter.

Wtf does "still gloss" mean?

And screen differences shouldn't be as drastic as they are in the OP.

or the fact you are using an lcd monitor to view it? It's like saying 4K sucks because you saw a comparison shot on your 1080 tv.

Trust me, OLED is superior in every way.

We don't even know what kind of LCD they're using. There are several kinds of LCDs that outclass OLEDs. Granted, this probably isn't the case since Sony wanted to save money, but I wouldn't go talking out of my ass like that.

TwisTz

Banned
Think this is something you'd have to compare in real life to see the big differences.

OLED is the better tech though... so not expecting miracles from this new LED.

sajj316

I need 20+ megapixel cameras to take shots in perfect conditions ... or ... hands-on observations. Camera shots are nice but give me impressions people!!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe you people not seeing much difference just don't have good monitors or don't have them calibrated or something.

Original Vita looks vastly better in that Ragnarok Odyssey shot. Not even close. Uncharted one doesn't look as bad at least (still not as good, but it's hard to really say much without seeing them in person).

Glass Rebel

So much is wrong with this post

It's only a few centimeters bigger on the surface, but it's thinner and lighter.

Wtf does "still gloss" mean?

And screen differences shouldn't be as drastic as they are in the OP.

It has a bigger surface. That's bad.

It still uses glossy plastic instead of being matte like it should have been from the beginning. That's bad.

Screen differences will probably be even bigger, especially in motion. That's also bad.

good news for me, mean original vita will be sold cheaply on craiglist, i wanted one of those, but never was handheld gamer, be cool to have one of those laying around.

The OG Vita screen does look better (though we might need a better comparison).

But those awful start/select buttons on the OG Vita gives the new Vita an advantage.

wiggleb0t

Banned
Wall on right is far brighter with less contrast on the lcd compared to the OLED in that uncharted picture.

Love my OLED.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Happy to have the OLED model, but the LCD model isn't all that bad either.

Nobody seems to complain about the 3DS's screen so I don't see the problem. Want OLED? Then buy the current unit. Want LCD? Keep sitting on the fence.

We don't even know what kind of LCD they're using. There are several kinds of LCDs that outclass OLEDs. Granted, this probably isn't the case since Sony wanted to save money, but I wouldn't go talking out of my ass like that.

In terms of what matters for picture quality (black level, color saturation, motion response, viewing angles), there is no such thing as an LCD that matches OLED, let alone outclass it. It's pure fiction.

Can LCD get brighter? Sure. Can't beat LCD in its ability to burn your retinas off.

QaaQer

In terms of what matters for picture quality (black level, color saturation, motion response, viewing angles), there is no such thing as an LCD that matches OLED, let alone outclass it. It's pure fiction.

Can LCD get brighter? Sure. Can't beat LCD in its ability to burn your retinas off.

people sometimes think LCD looks better because they are comparing the low ppi/resolution of vita to a high ppi/resolution iphone/ipad lcd.

Top Bottom