• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Model pics leaked

coldfoot

Banned
p.s. so nobody knows Slim's officianm l PSU wattage? This says 190W and Slims was 250W, I think, and 20% less means significant differences in CPU/GPU/BD/Cooling, etc, etc. So less heat, less noise, longer life and cheaper.
CECH-3xxx has a 200W power supply so most likely they did not do any more die shrinks for the CECH-4xxx. It's still likely to be 45nm Cell/40nm RSX inside like the CECH-3xxx slims. 32/28nm fab capacity is still at a premium, and it also requires a redesign of the Cell/RSX. 10W peak power savings can easily come from removing the slot disk eject mechanism and making it manual, along with other motherboard component savings.

AndyD

aka andydumi
True, my main question is just that I'm wondering how MUCH more expensive it is to use a slot-loading drive as opposed to a piece of plastic that slides back.

A lot less moving parts, and a lot less space taken up, so it could save 2-3 dollars. When you are talking profits and price cuts, every dollar counts, particularly when you think millions of units. Also, less moving parts, less maintenance needed and less prospect of something going wrong.

At that size it's growing on me. The only issue with the slide/flip top loading is that it can't be in a rack unlike previous units. I will hold onto my slim, but I do like this new unit's size a lot. And I look forward to see how they use the flash built-in. I wonder if it will make a difference in XMB and app speed.

Road

ZLi3q.jpg

The slim is 290 x 65 x 290 mm. The new model is 290 x 60 x 230 mm.

The slim is 3.2 kg. The new model is 2.1 kg.

PS.: Those are the information available, I don't know if they'll be the actual final specs.

16GB is obviously SSD storage, with the option to upgrade and include an HDD.

I reckon the plan will be

16GB: $169/EU169/BP139/Y16999
250GB: $199/EU199/BP159/Y19999
500GB: $249/EU249/BP/199/Y24999

Maybe a move/wonderbook/whatever bundle when the time is right with any of those skus.

Toppot

Well when we get a 'Uglyist console ever created' thread, I think we have a good contender here.

I hope my slim doesn't break anytime soon, that is one cheap ugly looking console.

Piers

Only reason I can think of for that stupid curve is to prevent the system from being something that can be buried under other consoles and devices. Metaphorically: PS3 on top!

Takuan

I just think it looks bad from the side. Otherwise, it's fine. I may sell my 40GB fat model for one of these. I doubt I can full install MGS4 on this.

spwolf

CECH-3xxx has a 200W power supply so most likely they did not do any more die shrinks for the CECH-4xxx. It's still likely to be 45nm Cell/40nm RSX inside like the CECH-3xxx slims. 32/28nm fab capacity is still at a premium, and it also requires a redesign of the Cell/RSX. 10W peak power savings can easily come from removing the slot disk eject mechanism and making it manual, along with other motherboard component savings.

thanks for the info... if it indeed it dropped to 10W, thats too little for die shrink.

Pingoreous

Sony usually removes the power supply from the system in the final redesign. With the power supply on the power cord like the 360, this system will be the most quiet. The fan won't kick in as much as the slim does after 30 minutes.

SkylineRKR

16GB is obviously SSD storage, with the option to upgrade and include an HDD.

I reckon the plan will be

16GB: $169/EU169/BP139/Y16999
250GB: $199/EU199/BP159/Y19999
500GB: $249/EU249/BP/199/Y24999

Maybe a move/wonderbook/whatever bundle when the time is right with any of those skus.

Thats likely, because even if you buy the 16gb and upgrade yourself, it won't be really cheaper ( 250gb costs about 50 in my area). But if you have a spare SATA somewhere, the cheapest SKU would be a great deal.

16gb is more than enough for those who only play the annual Madden, CoD etc though. Its enough space for DLC, and a slight few installs.

Its a smart move by Sony although MS did it way earlier with the Core 360, but the first one had no storage at all and they came with those ridiculously priced HDDs.

brentech

Slim still the best looker.
Liked the my original 60GB, but it was heavy and too shiny. I really like the looks of the current slim unit I have.

This thing looks kind of weird.

If this new model only drops power consumption by 10W that means the innards probably have changed only a little and no die shrink. I wonder how they made it so much smaller then.

spwolf

The previous model has peak 250W power supply so it seems to have dropped by 60W, according to what people are saying.

2xxx had 250w, while 3xxx has 230w/200w, whatever that means. And drop was without die shrink either.

Keep in mind these are peak numbers for PSU, not what PS3 actually draws... i think max measured for 2xxx was 100w.

Mario007

2xxx had 250w, while 3xxx has 230w/200w, whatever that means. And drop was without die shrink either.

Keep in mind these are peak numbers for PSU, not what PS3 actually draws... i think max measured for 2xxx was 100w.

Oh right, well that puts things into perspective. Then again a die shrink seems reasonable simply from the point of view that both Cell and RSX are relatively big this late in the generation.

Thats likely, because even if you buy the 16gb and upgrade yourself, it won't be really cheaper ( 250gb costs about 50 in my area). But if you have a spare SATA somewhere, the cheapest SKU would be a great deal.

16gb is more than enough for those who only play the annual Madden, CoD etc though. Its enough space for DLC, and a slight few installs.

Its a smart move by Sony although MS did it way earlier with the Core 360, but the first one had no storage at all and they came with those ridiculously priced HDDs.

Those early Arcades had some storage I think, wasnt it 256MB? I always had trouble deleting stuff and the hdds cost 100 euros years ago.

spwolf

Oh right, well that puts things into perspective. Then again a die shrink seems reasonable simply from the point of view that both Cell and RSX are relatively big this late in the generation.

well keep in mind that from 65/65 to 40/45 die shrink, they dropped PSU only 30w, then when 25xx model was intorduced another 20w, and with 3x model another 30w, so 50w without die shrink, and 30w when there was significant die shrink :).

so i dont think it is the definitive proof of anything.

THE:MILKMAN

Not really. Mainly because of the analogue IC's of Cell not shrinking well means Sony/IBM would have to re-engineer it. Which wouldn't be cheap and they didn't choose to do it with PS3 slim.

SkylineRKR

Those early Arcades had some storage I think, wasnt it 256MB? I always had trouble deleting stuff and the hdds cost 100 euros years ago.

Arcade SKU came at a later stage. But the prices of those HDD were 100 euros for 20gb at first, lol. Later on they would charge 120 euros for 120gb I think, which is still lol.

It did cause for a lot of of shit. There were a lot of trimmed down XBLA games. I think it was when Sony ignored data limits, that MS came through.

I would buy this console if it had an HDD slot for my to put an SSD drive inside. I also think it'd be smart for people moving from the phat ps3's, carry your hard drive over to the super slim.

denshuu

Not as nice looking as the slim, but not as ugly as the fat. Yeah, alright.

By the time my slim dies the PS4 will be out anyway.

Branson

My 60gb [now upgraded] Fat ps3 is the loudest electronic device in my place. I never use it just because the fans are so damn loud. I hope they have a lower priced ps3 slim so I can just transfer my shit over to it. Or I could just buy a slim. I don't know.

spwolf

I would buy this console if it had an HDD slot for my to put an SSD drive inside. I also think it'd be smart for people moving from the phat ps3's, carry your hard drive over to the super slim.

it will have HDD slot for sure... Sony wants you to buy games and shows via their PSN.

Lynn616

My speculation, but I'd say August release with these prices:

16GB - $169
250GB - $199
500GB - $249 (game bundle)

$149 for the 16GB would be amazing, but I don't know if they can swing that low yet.

So, $100 cheaper than the 360 HDD unit and $30-$50 cheaper than the 4GB flash 360. Microsoft is going to lose its lead.

spwolf

My 60gb [now upgraded] Fat ps3 is the loudest electronic device in my place. I never use it just because the fans are so damn loud. I hope they have a lower priced ps3 slim so I can just transfer my shit over to it. Or I could just buy a slim. I don't know.

or try cleaning it... reason it is so loud is because there is so much dust inside that almost no air reaches cpu so fans are running at max to try to cool the cell.

try vacuuming at lower settings and see if that helps... if not, look on the internet for guide how to clean it up. Because if you dont, it will break for sure.

Sikbeni10

Banned
So, $100 cheaper than the 360 HDD unit and $30-$50 cheaper than the 4GB flash 360. Microsoft is going to lose its lead.

Microsoft has been in a better position to drop the prices of their SKU's for some time, they haven't because there was no concern Sony were going to lower their prices.

I wouldn't make the mistake of assuming Microsoft could not, would not lower their prices as well to retaliate.

Top Bottom