• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 model (CUH-1200) announced

oni-link

I have a 2TB HDD (ordinary notebook HDD) inside my PS4 since Day 1.
Really, it's easy as hell to swap the HDD inside the PS4.
Max. 5 minutes, the last time I did it.

Is 2TB the most you up upgrade to? I'm not really a fan of deleting installs/patches, on PS3 you can just delete installs and keep the patches, so deleting installs isn't a big deal, whereas I think the PS4 adds the patches to the installs, so uninstalling a game means also deleting the patches

I don't have the best internet speeds in the world so I'd rather just start with a monster hard drive and only uninstall stuff if I have no other choice

ramyeon

I'm surprised at all the positive responses to the all matte version. The matte parts of the PS4 look so cheap.
You know what, I usually prefer matte but in this case I agree. I actually like the combination of gloss and matte on the PS4.
Gloss is a dust and scratch magnet

Matte > gloss
For the black maybe, but the original PS4 looks great in white. At the end it's a really small cosmetic difference anyway.

I have been told before to you us for uploading pictures, do you know what is supported?

I'm sorry, I could be wrong. Maybe it's because you posted a mobile link? Remove the "m" from the URL and it may work.

Gloss is a dust and scratch magnet

Matte > gloss

Someone really needs to work on making a nice glossy finish that doesn't get scratched from me wiping a few dust particles off.
Until then, matte is the victor.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I'm surprised we're getting an end of June ship date for it in Japan, with a new model and introducing a 1TB model and with Gamescom so close you'd think they would be setting up a price drop, the 500GB gets cheaper and the 1TB takes it place at the original price.

Is 2TB the most you up upgrade to? I'm not really a fan of deleting installs/patches, on PS3 you can just delete installs and keep the patches, so deleting installs isn't a big deal, whereas I think the PS4 adds the patches to the installs, so uninstalling a game means also deleting the patches

I don't have the best internet speeds in the world so I'd rather just start with a monster hard drive and only uninstall stuff if I have no other choice

The Sony website doesn't state any limits on disk size, only physical dimension limitations.

Kinan

The Sony website doesn't state any limits on disk size, only physical dimension limitations.

Yes, but there are no HDDs beyond 2TB so far with 9.5mm height, if I'm not mistaken. The choice is now either 1TB Hybrid Seagates or 2TB non-hybrid Samsungs. Not really much happened on the HDD front in the last year.

SSD became cheaper though, and you can find ~1TB ones with the required dimensions for like 550-600€ already.

Yes, but there are no HDDs beyond 2TB so far with 9.5mm height, if I'm not mistaken. The choice is now either 1TB Hybrid Seagates or 1TB Samsungs. Not really much happened on the HDD front in the last year.

SSD became cheaper though, and you can find ~1TB ones with the required dimensions for like 550-600€ already.

Ah, you're probably right. Would using a SSD have a noticeable impact on performance?

Syntsui

1TB exclusive to Europe is a legit shot in the foot in my opinion. I really hope the new revision of the xbone does well so they pressure Sony to follow suit.

1TB out of the box is beyond necessary at this point regardless of how easy it is to upgrade it yourself.

Elios83

1TB exclusive to Europe is a legit shot in the foot in my opinion. I really hope the new revision of the xbone does well so they pressure Sony to follow suit.

1TB out of the box is beyond necessary at this point regardless of how easy it is to upgrade it yourself.

Different markets.
US will get the 1TB version when they announce a price drop this fall.
Right now they don't want an option more expensive than 399$ and it's perfectly reasonable.
In Europe they have such a strong market position that they can do things a bit differently, still you should notice than the announced 1TB version is based on the old SKU, not on this revision and more importantly it's open priced at retailers so they're not setting an official price.

//DEVIL//

i wonder why there is no option to buy a mate cover for the people who wants it ?

i mean sure its easy money for Sony. how come they don't do it ?

Mergesort

Hopefully the MGSV PS4s have this revision.

202685_DETAIL.jpg

I really hope so too.

oni-link

I'm thinking 3-5TB will probably be enough, but again I'm unsure if that would fit into the PS4

I'll probably pick one up at the end of this year, so might just wait and see if we get a Slim version by then, if not and I still have PS3/Wii U games I want to play, I'm ok with waiting a little longer

Hoo-doo

Banned
i wonder why there is no option to buy a mate cover for the people who wants it ?

Because the amount of people actually interested in shelling out 20$ for a matte faceplate is probably zilch, relatively speaking. Most people don't give a rat's ass about the glossy strip on the black box that's somewhere in their entertainment section. Putting the product on shelves would probably cost more money than it would make.

Elios83

They have just announced it, give them time and different options might become available :p
Still it's a bit ironic that some people want to pay for a cheaper part, matte is a cost cutting measure, not exactly a plus ;)
But hey different tastes, imo glossy is much better and considering that the area is relatively small, dust is not a major problem.
On the original PS3 model it was a nightmare :O

I really hope so too.

Mmmm imo those custom MGSV consoles have already been manufactured and stocked according to the expected bundle demand and they're all based on the old model.

Mergesort

I'm thinking 3-5TB will probably be enough, but again I'm unsure if that would fit into the PS4

I'll probably pick one up at the end of this year, so might just wait and see if we get a Slim version by then, if not and I still have PS3/Wii U games I want to play, I'm ok with waiting a little longer

I think there was 3rd party 3,5" Drive addon. But it's bulky.

ramyeon

Physical or digital doesn't matter, the entire game installs to the HDD. The disc is only used for verification.
Yeah, but with physical games the install is so quick it's pretty much irrelevant. If you run out of space it's easy enough to remove games you're no longer playing and then reinstall them from the disk if need be later on.

Mergesort

Mmmm imo those custom MGSV consoles have already been manufactured and stocked according to the expected bundle demand and they're all based on the old model.

I wouldn't be sure about that. There are still no preorders here in germany and i guess they need those numbers for production? They have enough time until 1st Sep.

Interesting: The 1TB model retains the glossy quarter.

We never had a spec sheet for this upcoming model, so I wonder if it's old production with a new hard drive, or the new model with lower power consumption.

One theory is that both models are "new", and Sony made the 500GB model matte black so customers can tell the two 500GB models apart easily. 1TB model doesn't need explaining.

//DEVIL//

Still it's a bit ironic that some people want to pay for a cheaper part, matte is a cost cutting measure, not exactly a plus ;)
But hey different tastes, imo glossy is much better and considering that the area is relatively small, dust is not a major problem.
On the original PS3 model it was a nightmare :O

oh yeah i know. i will stick to my glossy cover. but mate cover isnt bad to have too.

i want to know more about the 8% less power consumption compared to previous model.

how much of a difference that will be in terms of fan noise when u kick in heavy game and go to the XMB in the same time.

Daviii

When something is a cost cutting measure and a plus for the users, one must wonder why the fuck it wasn't included by default :)

I think it is more of a case of consumer feedback than anything else. Any cost-cutting in the polishing procedure for the glossy part is probably compensated with the process change itself, which is never free.

Anyway they reduced the weigth a 10%, that's not trivial, so I guess the process change was big enough to justify adding the all-matte to the mix...

Personal opinion: Looks cheaper in the renders, looks cheaper new, looks better 2 weeks later. Bravo.

oni-link

There are already bigger 2.5" HDDs available right now.
Back then (PS4 launch) the biggest one was 2TB, if I remember correctly.

Does the 2TB one replace the 500gb one? or do you add 2TB to the 500GB already there?

If I upgrade to a 2TB now, then later need more space, and they bring out a bigger drive (say a 5TB one) is there a way to put the 2TB of data onto the new 5TB?

I also need to look into how much the 2TB drive costs

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Have the people calling the PS4 loud never played an Xbox 360 before? It makes some noise but I wouldn't call it loud.

Top Bottom