• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Red Dead Map Leaked?

Coffinhal

Eh...RDR was about the death and end of the "Wild West" taking place in 1911. Preferably they need to go back in time than anything more forward otherwise it's GTA except..earlier. lol

I mean, when you think of any Western movies or TV shows do cars really jump to mind?

To be true they travelled trough the classic Western eras during the story. It was really brilliantly done because it all came up to the end of the Wild West, but we've seen its living ruins all along. So while they can't continue in the 1910s, they need to find a good angle —and probably found it — to get a fresh look for the new game. Maybe something very specific, but that goes against their idea of seeing a lot of things (all New York districts, Los Angeles and a big countryside etc).

Can't wait for the reveal.

Dabanton

If this is real I'm very interested to see what the theme is. RDR worked for me as it was about the death of the 'old west' and the men who forged it.

Simo

To be true they travelled trough the classic Western eras during the story. It was really brilliantly done because it all came up to the end of the Wild West, but we've seen its living ruins all along. So while they can't continue in the 1910s, they need to find a good angle —and probably found it — to get a fresh look for the new game. Maybe something very specific, but that goes against their idea of seeing a lot of things (all New York districts, Los Angeles and a big countryside etc).

Can't wait for the reveal.

Oh yeah for sure! There's much rich content with the West though that they could do more while still not feeling like a rehash of RDR.

Scarlet Meadows and the Bayou on the map...can you imagine if it's their version of Louisiana? Given the possible long dev cycle what if they model one, or the, main character similar to Django from Django Unchained and tackle slavery, plantations and bounty hunting? Might be a little heavy for the game but it's Rockstar..

Stiler

On one hand I hope it's true because I need RDR 2 in my life.

On the other hand I was hoping for something a bit more.....West.

IE Arizona, Oregon, Colorado, Cali, Texas, etc.

I also hope that they are set back during the early-mid'ish 1800's. Classic wild western style. Around the era's of the Oregon Trail, Alamo, etc.

If the map is real it looks like water will play a role somehow. So river boats, barges, submarine's maybe.

Coffinhal

Oh yeah for sure! There's much rich content with the West though that they could do more while still not feeling like a rehash of RDR.

Scarlet Meadows and the Bayou on the map...can you imagine if it's their version of Louisiana? Given the possible long dev cycle what if they model one, or the, main character similar to Django from Django Unchained and tackle slavery, plantations and bounty hunting? Might be a little heavy for the game but it's Rockstar..

I'd love to see how they'd deal with these themes. That would be less Western-like, but since Rockstar has strong inspirations from movies (and good interpretations of them), and since it would work as a game system (revenge through bounty hunting, plantations as camps, if you play one slave (one of two or three characters?) you can get restricted areas in the cities or getting attacked while having fancy clothes or riding an horse... )That sure would be a perfect setting. Risky, heavy, touchy, benzy.

yatesl

Hold on just a minute...

zS8Ijvu.gif

Fotos

Hold on just a minute...

420 is next Wednesday fam

On one hand I hope it's true because I need RDR 2 in my life.

On the other hand I was hoping for something a bit more.....West.

IE Arizona, Oregon, Colorado, Cali, Texas, etc.

I also hope that they are set back during the early-mid'ish 1800's. Classic wild western style. Around the era's of the Oregon Trail, Alamo, etc.

If the map is real it looks like water will play a role somehow. So river boats, barges, submarine's maybe.

But Blackwater from RDR is on this map too

Stiler

420 is next Wednesday fam

But Blackwater from RDR is on this map too

Eh? I know, but Blackwater was already the east (as far as RDR 1 goes).

I was just stating that I was hoping for a more western-focused map and game setting rather than going back east more.

More traditional Arizona/Texas/Oregon areas rather than swamps and Louisana type of settings and geography.

SDCowboy

Eh? I know, but Blackwater was already the east (as far as RDR 1 goes).

I was just stating that I was hoping for a more western-focused map and game setting rather than going back east more.

More traditional Arizona/Texas/Oregon areas rather than swamps and Louisana type of settings and geography.

I'd like it to be mostly the four corner states and Texas.

Simo

So how about that prison island, eh?

How about the Mexico part? Top of the map. Seems separate so could be a story location?

Actually looking more closely at the map, I've mainly glanced at without too much thought just in case it's fake, and it seems like they're mostly trying to have their own version of the Dakota territories and Louisiana. That could be pretty exciting if true because with the Dakota territory they could have their own version for the town of Deadwood along with the Black Hills, and of course could also include the Sioux wars and more Native American involvement in the game? A lot of frontiersman took place in the Dakota territory including the legend of Hugh Glass which obviously was the inspiration for the recent Leo DiCaprio movie The Revenant.

I thought there was quite a lot of water mass or rivers on the map but my eyes played tricks on me and what I thought were blue rivers running through the central land masses was actually the purple line marking the territory borders. lol So I'm relieved at that!

Hesh

Hmm, haven't checked this thread since the morning, still no update? Someone got banned on the last page for backseat modding so mods definitely are aware of this thread. Just makes the silence eerie.

kennyamr

I haven't played it yet but my bf says it's basically a masterpiece... and after following this thread for a whole day... I want to play it now. Everyone seems so hyped.

Platy

Yeah this is a weird leak ... but nothing beats "I was on a plane and seat next to an ubisoft guy so here is how it is gonna be the next 2 or 3 assasin's creed"

I don't like how ... "gamey" the map looks =(

Loved the "i won't show you shit" of the original game's map

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Thanks for keeping this near that front y'all. I can't believe this all went down In a couple of the wee morning hours. Stuffs hilarious. You gotta be on GAF like 16 hours a day to catch all of this.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Maybe it's one of the Houser's....

tumblr_mnp7wiyLsw1s6ns7wo1_250.gif

My mind was blown, and then blown again by the Inception like traits of this thread, loving this. This is right up there with the "what game to show my first date" TOAT (thread of all time).

I am more confident than ever that this is real now, with all the reverse reversals.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Red Dead Redemption had a car and it fit the game just fine. Westerns can very much have cars and still be westerns. The Western genre time period pretty much ends around the time that cars started getting big. As long as finding cars in the game is a decently rare occurrence then it would be fine. Hell, make them as rare as tanks and fighter jets are in GTA5 if that makes it any better for you.

So it matches just fine with the lore plus it offers tons of hilarious and thrilling possible gameplay segment possibilities. Why the hell would this be a bad thing again??
I honestly cant see how cars of that age would be fun, anyway we all know Red Dead Redemption 2 will be called Red Dead Renegade, it will be a prequel in which you play as John Marston coming to terms with the realization the outlaw life it not for him/escaping from his old gang, the one he was hunting down in RDR.

Or so I tell myself every time I see RDR mentioned anywhere.

RoKKeR

Damn this thread is still kicking?

Listening to the RDR soundtrack while studying today... the hype continues to rise. Please, anything this year R*. A logo would be good enough.

ck8215

Well, the mods didn't close the thread. So either this leak is legit or they having a bit of fun with us speculating.
I don't like how ... "gamey" the map looks =(

If this map is real, I would think it is a mock-up for development. Some Artist painted over the terrain to visualize the areas and towns. I bet the style of the map in the game looks a lot different.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
god damn it i wish rockstar would just hurry up and announce this game already. i need a new Red Dead. i don't care if the map is fake or not but it's got me going thinking about a new release.

it's been over 2 and a half years since GTA V came out...tell us what your next game is Rockstar!

Simo

Well, the mods didn't close the thread. So either this leak is legit or they having a bit of fun with us speculating.

I'd of thought a mod would either pop in here to say OP is legit and cool or change the thread title to reflect if it was fake or not but yeah, the thread still being open when a mod has been here is interesting....lol

MMaRsu

Banned
god damn it i wish rockstar would just hurry up and announce this game already. i need a new Red Dead. i don't care if the map is fake or not but it's got me going thinking about a new release.

it's been over 2 and a half years since GTA V came out...tell us what your next game is Rockstar!

Well without Leslie Benzies they might be having a hard time completing the game.

MMaRsu

Banned
Hmm, haven't checked this thread since the morning, still no update? Someone got banned on the last page for backseat modding so mods definitely are aware of this thread. Just makes the silence eerie.

I dont think anyone was banned in the last page?

SomTervo

Eh, that map is way too cramped. Looks more like a Pokemon region.

Not what I want from RDR3.

Same. I want something fucking massive. A true Western experience needs to be absurd in scale.

I want to re-enact Blood Meridian's middle 150 pages

I want hours of horseback

It needs to be substantially bigger than The Witcher 3's world

shandy706

I would like to know which Mod was PM'd.

I'm thinking a mod has already been in this thread.

Also, the mods don't HAVE to comment on something. I think people should quit worrying about it. They don't have have to fill us in on what's going on.

Plus, we got some pretty funny stuff out of it....fun times.

I'm thinking a mod has already been in this thread.

Also, the mods don't HAVE to comment on something. I think people should quit worrying about it. They don't have have to fill us in on what's going on.

Plus, we got some pretty funny stuff out of it....fun times.

A Mod may have been in this thread, but that doesn't mean that a Mod has been PM'd by the OP pending further notice. He said two Mods have been PM'd.

Top Bottom