• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sega Genesis RPG release... no really!

I recall Fhey Area getting a lot of love in Gamefan, though the magazine were always big Wolfteam fans.

Off topic, but what happened to them anyhow?

jarrod

Banned
Woah, nice finds Midnight. Especially Dando... I wanna play it!

FortNinety said:
Off topic, but what happened to them anyhow?
Wolfteam became Tales Studio, though some staff left to form tri-Ace (of Star Ocean fame).

jarrod said:
Woah, nice finds Midnight. Especially Dando... I wanna play it!

I'd love to play Dando aka Vasome or Vazome, too. but I have not even been able to find a ROM of it to play via emulation, much less confirmation that the actual physical MegaDrive cartridge was released. sigh. I assume it exists as an unreleased beta, or just never even got that far. no idea :(

the side-scrolling element of this Action-RPG remind me of Legendary Axe.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
jarrod said:
Though to be honest, I think PC Engine gets far more neglected by the translation scene than MegaDrive considering all the classics that never came here (Tengai Makyo, Emerald Dragon, Ys, Xak, etc).
I agree whole-heartedly. Some of the dodgy SNES/Mega Drive ports from those respective series pale in comparison to the originals. Such a shame.

speedpop said:
I agree whole-heartedly. Some of the dodgy SNES/Mega Drive ports from those respective series pale in comparison to the originals. Such a shame.

what he said.

there are so many examples of such, I cannot even begin to think of them all in one sitting.

jarrod

Banned
speedpop said:
Yep. I wouldn't mind seeing the translation community step it up a generation and start working on those hundreds of JP only Saturn/PSX/N64 games either. Specifically Saturn stuff. :)

DJ_Tet said:
I remember that Moon Dancer scan. I really wanted that game :)

yeah, and also on that same page in the magazine ( you cannot see it in the scan) there were a couple other MD RPGs shown- they did make it out in Japan, but of course, not to the U.S. or UK.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Fhey Area is your typical bog standard RPG. The fight scenes have lots of animation but are really slow. The opening and ending are voiced.

Scott

Just a little update on the game's status:
August 03, 2005

Beggar Prince will be publicly demonstrated at the Classic Gaming Expo on August 20 and 21, 2005. Fans and potential customers will get a chance to try out the game for the very first time during this event. Our game cartridges are being produced at this very moment, so it will not be long before the game goes on sale. Thanks, everyone, for your patience!
Also, the official site has been updated with details on the storyline, characters, etc. Worth checking out. :)

Scott

Another update:
Fans and visitors to this years CLASSIC GAMING EXPO in Burlingame, CA. were treated to an alltogether different experience as OlderGames' booth showcased the efforts of Brandon Cobb and his Super Fighter Team in their upcoming release for the genesis titled "BEGGAR PRINCE". Visitors also had the chance to enjoy a close-up demonstration of Andy Looney's "ICEBREAKER 2" for the 3DO, this upcoming release much like Beggar Prince is expected to ship on or around this holiday season and IB2 will be the first commercially published 3DO title not using official encryption but a custom encryption method developed by a source close to OlderGames which will allow a new era for homebrew and commercial-level projects to be seen on a consumer 3DO console!
Source: http://www.oldergames.com/v3/index.html

You can find pictures of the game's debut here, and the redesigned website here.

Scott

Couple updates:
...Super Fighter Team will now be handling the publishing of the game, and all orders will be accepted through our website just as soon as the game is 100% ready for release.
What you can unfortunately expect however is a slight delay before we begin taking orders, but rest assured the end product will be well worth the wait.
Beggar Prince will retail at $40.00 per copy. Each copy will consist of a high-quality color instruction manual and a professionally produced cartridge (NTSC & PAL compatible) enclosed within a plastic clam-shell case complete with color insert.
Source: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=72335

And to make sure nobody misses out, I'll create a new thread for the game when it goes on sale. :)

MrDaravon

Thanks, I'd totally forgotten about this. My girlfriend is obsessed with buying this when it comes out for some reason, whereas I'm like 40 bucks what the fuck.

GhaleonEB

Since Stubbs turned out to be not quite what I was hoping (from the reviews) - I'll buy this one instead. Hopefully it hits before Christmas.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I didn't quite get the rant on the previous page. You do realize the time period in which you're talking about, right? Its about cost effectiveness at the time. You remember what type of resolution a NES had? How many colors could be displayed onscreen? The Master System, perhaps?

The Sega Genesis was a huge step up from anything on the game console market. It had a main processor that ran consistently over 7.5mhz, was 16 bit, and utilized a 16 bit data bus. AND it had as much usable RAM as a Commodore 64, a computer that cost hundreds of dollars more? Only high-end computers and arcade units costing thousands of dollars could compete graphically. The TurboGrafx-16, while being able to display a much larger amount of color onscreen, still only had an 8-bit bus to pump data through, had less ram to work with, couldn't display as many sprites onscreen, had a much more antiquated CPU, had even worse audio hardware than the Genesis (without enhancement), and only had one controller port.

I'll be the first to admit that the Super Nintendo had a much better graphics chip. The fact that it could warp, scale and rotate sprites, as well as rotate playfields was pretty damn impressive. However, it also had a slower processor, and could not display as many sprites onscreen as the Genesis. It was all a tradeoff for cost effectiveness. The SNES made a very acceptable compromise.

However, complaining that the Genesis only had 64 colors onscreen is a bit silly. Many arcade games at the time didn't use more than 256 colors onscreen. Games like Streets of Rage, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Revenge of Shinobi looked excellent, using "only" 64 colors. Hell, Yoshi's Island used only a palette of 256 colors, and I still think that game looks wonderful.

BenT

Bit of a nitpick. My understanding is that the SNES' mode 7 can't rotate, scale, or warp sprites... only backgrounds. So when you see a supposed "sprite" doing one of those things in a SNES game, it's merely a background pretending to be a sprite. Which is one you never see more than one "sprite" doing those things at once.

GhaleonEB

Hm, still not out. The website says it is in the production phase, still. I was hoping to get this for a Christmas present (for myself). Now I hope it's out in time for my birthday, in March. :(

Koshiba

GhaleonEB said:
Hm, still not out. The website says it is in the production phase, still. I was hoping to get this for a Christmas present (for myself). Now I hope it's out in time for my birthday, in March. :(

I hope it comes out soon as well. I'm interested in getting some people's opinions on it and then I may buy it as well. :)

ghibli99

jarrod said:
It was originally developed in 1996 by a Taiwanese company, C&E Inc.

Super Fighter Team is doing the localization, OlderGames is doing the manufacturing and distribution (4MB cart, 32KB SRAM). Looks pretty decent, especially by Genesis RPG standards...

bprince1.png
bprince2.png
bprince3.png
bprince4.png
bprince5.png
bprince6.png
bprince7.png
bprince8.png

And the link.
Image in Row 2, Column 2 reminds me of Chrono Trigger. :D

Image in Row 2, Column 4... I like that all 3 trees in the image are different.

Most of the other images are cool because the background art isn't just mirrored. I used to hate that laziness in games (still do, actually).

16-bit era is probably the last time I really paid attention to stuff like that.

Anyway, looks like it has potential.

off-topic

The Genesis *should* have been the console counterpart of Sega's basic System16 board that powered Fantasy Zone, Shinobi, Altered Beast, Golden Axe among others. with the ability to put on-screen, at least 512 colors from a range of 4096 - and had basic zooming/scaling (but no rotation), 128 sprites of 16x16 pixels or 256 sprites of 8x8 pixels, slightly clearer audio. 2 scrolling planes. A 10 MHz 68000. Overall about 1/3 more powerful than Genesis plus a whole lot more colors, and the very important scaling. This would not have been as powerful as CPS or NEO-GEO, but powerful enough to handle decently close CPS conversions (alot closer than the real Genesis) and 100% identical System16 ports.

MD-Genesis Golden Axe
gaxe.jpg

Arcade System16 Golden Axe
golden_Axe1.jpg

^that would've been a nice amount of color^

The actual Genesis' having only the ability to put 64 colors on-screen, 80 sprites and no hardware scaling, really hurt it compared to the SNES. but much worse, there was no excuse for MD-Genesis (1988) having less colors on-screen than the PC-Engine-TG16 which was 1 year older (1987) and could handle hundreds of colors on-screen from the same sized pallete (512)

the saving grace of the Genesis was the 68000 processor which, although not as fast as the one in System16, was still very powerful and let programmers pull off alot of tricks in software.

Then, the SegaCD should've had 2 more 68000s, a full scaling/rotation chip (it did have this) and an even more powerful graphics chip that allowed for 4 or 5 scrolling layers and 1024 sprites, making a SNES and Neo-Geo killer :D fully capable of handing Sega's 16-bit Super Scaler games including Super Monaco GP, AfterBurner, Power Drift, G-Loc. etc.

Top Bottom