• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New theory: The Titanic's hull was weakened by a fire prior to striking iceberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guevara

170102160510-titanic-mark-exlarge-169.jpg

A new documentary by author and journalist Senan Molony suggests the emergence of pictures hidden in a forgotten album for a century prove that the supposedly unsinkable passenger ship was weakened by a smoldering coal fire even before it left on its catastrophic maiden voyage.

Titanic, which at the time of its sinking in 1912 was the biggest ship afloat, hit an iceberg in the north Atlantic on the night of April 14 and went down with the loss of about 1,500 lives. Some 700 people survived.

Molony said the existence of a fire inside one of the coal bunkers is well documented -- but its significance underplayed.

In the documentary Titanic: The New Evidence, broadcast on the UK's Channel 4 on New Year's Day, Molony reveals pictures taken in early April 1912 shortly before Titanic started its trans-Atlantic voyage. They show a mark on the White Star ocean liner's starboard side near the seat of the fire, and the point of the collision.

"The anomaly is exactly the place where it struck the iceberg," he told CNN.

Molony said his research suggests the intense fire in one of the coal bunkers, which were three storeys high, reached temperatures of around 1,000 degrees, warped the bulkhead steel and made it brittle.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/02/europe/titanic-fire-new-picture/

Coal fire can't melt steel bulkheads, if old.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
It was an inside job and that wasn't really an iceberg that sunk the Titanic but a torpedo fired by the US government.

/Conspiracy theory.

I appreciate the work they put in but honestly, does it matter? It was still the colission that sunk the ship. Or is there some obscure Titanic defense force out there that has spent the last 100 years trying to prove that no mere iceberg could sink it?

adj_noun

For science, let's build another one, aim it at an iceberg and see what happens with no fire.

Then let's set it on fire.

You know what, forget science.

Guevara

I appreciate the work they put in but honestly, does it matter? It was still the colission that sunk the ship. Or is there some obscure Titanic defense force out there that has spent the last 100 years trying to prove that no mere iceberg could sink it?

Really, it was a cover up. The Titanic shouldn't have left shore in that condition, they should have known the hull was compromised. That's why it's interesting.

At worst, the Titanic should have sunk slower, which would have saved dozens or hundreds of lives.

Even if it wasn't true, it could not survive a direct hit against and Iceberg.

"She's made of iron, sir! I assure you, she can... and she will. It is a mathematical certainty."

This has always been pretty obvious to me. Everything about the Titanic had all the same marks of a controlled sinking. I've seen them done dozens of times, and you only see a ship sink like that if someone wanted it to sink.

This has always been pretty obvious to me. Everything about the Titanic had all the same marks of a controlled sinking. I've seen them done dozens of times, and you only see a ship sink like that if someone wanted it to sink.

Even though it split in half and lifted in the air before sinking?

I'm not criticizing, I'm genuinely curious.

Edit: this is a work isn't it

Elitist1945

Fire aside, and not exactly the topic of the thread, but do some people actually think Titanic hitting an iceburg was a coverup/inside job? Or is this just a meme.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Fire aside, and not exactly the topic of the thread, but do some people actually think Titanic hitting an iceburg was a coverup/inside job? Or is this just a meme.

The Lizard People have been around plotting against us for far longer than you can think of.

The iceberg didn't exist. It was a hologram!

Wake up sheeple.

fantomena

Just gonna let this sink in. However, I don't where Obama was when Titanic sank, but I will get to the bottom of that.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
have we explored the theory of time travelers assassinating the ancestors of a future savior of humanity

Mr-Joker

Banned

It does matter as they're saying that the watergate, which was design to prevent water flooding the ship was compromised due to the fire and as a result was unfit for its purpose.

Cafeman

Don't believe this, a fire was not necessary. It is documented (from the 90's when they acquired samples of the hull's steel) that the properties of Titanic's hull steel was too brittle in cold temperatures and was not suitable for handling collision by an iceberg. Not sure if the steel industry ran the same types of tensile, charpy impact, or collapse tests as they do now. It seems any ship from that era would have been sunk by hitting an iceberg in such a manner. I seem to remember the real problem was it couldn't turn quickly enough and the crew were pushing it to go to fast in an area with potential icebergs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom