• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New to The Witcher Universe? Here's is a guide to get you ready for The Witcher 3

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The story of Witcher 1 is really cool but I don't think it is necessary to know what happened in Detail. It really is it's own thing. Good story though.
Also I say it again: I don't like Ciri. Never have.

It's also impossible to breathe if you hold your own breath. It's not like only playing on PlayStation isn't self-imposed.

You realize many gamers dont have the fund to buy multiple consoles / PC right? Im sure there's plenty of people on GAF still in high school.....bad analogy

hydruxo

I'm just curious, is there any reason why Ciri looks like the female version of Geralt? The white/grey hair, scar in the same spot over the left eye, etc.

Fantastapotamus

I'm just curious, is there any reason why Ciri looks like the female version of Geralt? The white/grey hair, scar in the same spot over the left eye, etc.
Not sure why they made her hair silver, the books describe her as "ash blonde"

OP I think you should ad who Duny is, since that is a HUGE revelation in the books and maybe ad a little bit about Ciri and why her appearance in W3 is a big deal. Possibly in a spoiler?

patapuf

I'd guess sapkowski had a bit of fun of making them end up pretty similar despite hair color, scar etc. all having completely different origins.

Ciri was promised to Geralt fairy tale style as a reward for lifting a curse iirc. While Geralt ended up not actually wanting the child they were still bound by Fate, thus Ciri still ended up being his adoptive daughter an whole bunch of other stuff.

As mentioned above, them ending up looking similar is probably the author "subtly" suggesting they are related if not by blood, then by Fate.

The story of Witcher 1 is really cool but I don't think it is necessary to know what happened in Detail. It really is it's own thing. Good story though.
Also I say it again: I don't like Ciri. Never have.

I'll bite, why?

NekoFever

If anyone wants a taste of the books, I'd recommend The Last Wish, which is a short story collection. It ties in somewhat with the games since one of the stories is used as the intro to the first game, and another is the background of Geralt and Ciri's relationship. The games have their own chronology, separate from the books, but since this takes place before them, it won't contradict and confuse you with characters who die in one but not the other, etc.

There's another short story collection, The Sword of Destiny, coming out in English next month. That's the first book written but wasn't translated first as it takes place after TLW. It's not out yet so I can't vouch for its quality.

So far we've had three of the books from the main Witcher Saga translated – Blood of Elves, Time of Contempt and Baptism of Fire (two more are on the way) – but clearly they're more of a commitment than some might want, and they tell a completely separate story to that of the games.

Majukun

well it's not like knowing the story is important...I have played withcer 2 without playing the first one and had no problems following the events..also ,many events happen between episodes,so keeping track of everything is not possible

do they already said if the story of the game will start on a different path based on the choices on witcher 2?And if not..wht is the "canon" ending?

I've played the game on 360 though..thus even if the game changes based on choices on the second one..I would need to replay the second game on pc..

Quotient

As i understand, the wild hunt are elves from another dimension that travel to the dimension of Geralt to take souls for their group.

Chaos17

Thanks for the Recap OP, I didn't know a thing about Ciri or Yennefer.
So this helped me.

Just as a question to a newcomer, how is the combat of the series? Is it anything like the Souls series? Or more like Dragon Age?

It's an action rpg, so it's closer to Soul series.
I mean by that that you manage only person : Geralt.
You don't manage a team like in Dragon age.

faridmon

I Wish they did Witcher 1 + 2 collection on the consoles. i don't have a PC that can play games and would have loved to play those in some form

sappyday

The first game can run on most everyone's PC. A good amount of the books are officially translated, and the rest have unofficial translations.

I'd certainly still recommend playing through the series for anyone that doesn't absolutely have to play this game at launch.

The reason I'm getting the game is for the scope and amount of content that seems to come with it. I'm sure the other games are cool but I don't want to buy the other ones since they don't have the appeal that I'm getting from the third one. So I see this thread and I say "why not" since it doesn't hurt to use 15 minutes of my times to read up on the story a little so I can understand the basics. I'm sure if someone really wanted to delve into the story they would do it but in the mean time this is great thread for those just casually into it.

So are we supposed to know how Yennefer is back or is that part of the game? Because as I recall she was kidnapped by the Wild Hunt.
You must have missed the end of Witcher 2.
In a later flashback Geralt had eventually found the Wild Hunt with Letho and his group, and traded himself for Yennifer. Letho tells you later that his witcher group looked after her until Nilfgaard's court took her in. She also had memory loss at the time. So by the end of Witcher 2 Geralt knows she's with Nilfgaard. Looks like she got her memory back though.

epmode

I've only read The Last Wish but I'd be interested in reading more. Could someone post the proper order for reading the books? Also, I'd like to know if any of the unofficial translations are better than the official releases.

edit:
If anyone wants a taste of the books, I'd recommend The Last Wish, which is a short story collection. It ties in somewhat with the games since one of the stories is used as the intro to the first game, and another is the background of Geralt and Ciri's relationship. The games have their own chronology, separate from the books, but since this takes place before them, it won't contradict and confuse you with characters who die in one but not the other, etc.

There's another short story collection, The Sword of Destiny, coming out in English next month. That's the first book written but wasn't translated first as it takes place after TLW. It's not out yet so I can't vouch for its quality.

So far we've had three of the books from the main Witcher Saga translated – Blood of Elves, Time of Contempt and Baptism of Fire (two more are on the way) – but clearly they're more of a commitment than some might want, and they tell a completely separate story to that of the games.

So Blood of Elves, Time of Contempt and Baptism of Fire?

I've only read The Last Wish but I'd be interested in reading more. Could someone post the proper order for reading the books?

Proper order of books

The Last Wish
Sword of Destiny (Fan translation here) (Scheduled to be released in English when Witcher 3 releases)

Blood of Elves
Time of Contempt
Baptism of Fire
Tower of the Swallow (Fan translation here) (Scheduled for English release in 2016)
Lady of the Lake (Fan translation here) (Scheduled for English release in 2017)

They remove the fan translations whenever an official one is released. When I started reading them, only The Last Wish and Blood of Elves were out in English.

Very interesting all around. Quick question, is Triss being unhappily in love with Geralt because she's the friend of Yennefer, or is there more to it than that?

Also, what is the Law of Surprise? And is it normal for Witchers to ask for childrens as rewards normally?!

Loakum

Banned
I'm definitely new to the world of The Witcher. The Witcher 3 will be my first game of the series. I found these Shoddycast videos about Witcher lore very informative and entertaining: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrrzVp2HIMk

Anyway, thanx for this thread OP. I'm soooo obsessed with anything having to do with the Witcher. I'm already at Game of Thrones levels of excitement for this game. I know on May 19th, I'm gonna spend 24 hours on The Witcher 3. I already have scheduled the week off from work, on the game's release. I definitely subbed this thread.

Reebot

Very interesting all around. Quick question, is Triss being unhappily in love with Geralt because she's the friend of Yennefer, or is there more to it than that?

Also, what is the Law of Surprise? And is it normal for Witchers to ask for childrens as rewards normally?!

Unhappily because, in the books, Gerald is aware of how she feels but doesn't feel the same way back.

zkorejo

I have read the Last Wish, Sword of Destiny and I am halfway through Blood of Elves.

The story gets better with each book. The Last Wish was okay, but Sword of Destiny and Blood of Elves are really very good. I just dont have time to read anymore... but I will try everything in my power to finish the books (atleast till Times of contempt) before the game is released.

TBH, it seems like you will enjoy TW3 way more if you have read the books. As the previous games just slightly touch the topics such as Yen, Wild Hunt and doesn't even mention Ciri... And these are the three main parts of the plot in the next game.

I'm sure CDPR will try their best to introduce these characters, but if you have read the books... then you already have a connection with those characters and I am guessing the readers will get sucked in to the story from the very beginning.

it would be cool to just have a game where you randomly cross the skeleton horsemen causing chaos in some village or to meet them at some random time you arent suppose too

im guessing meeting them in this game is scripted or is there chance you can witness them from a distance?

Fantastapotamus

I'll bite, why?

Don't know, never really cared about her, and I personally dislike the
"child character that's innocent at first but has tremendous powers with him/her because reasons"
type. Never have. Just a personal taste. Never liked Goku's son from DBZ either.
Wouldn't care so much about if this wasn't the case

You might as well not like the main character of the Witcher novels then, because she was basically it by the end of it.

I know. I read them.

It's not like I hate her, I just didn't care about her and the books kept focusing on her.

Corpekata

Banned
I'd suggest maybe updating the OP with details for the first games a bit, particularly when it comes to Geralt and Triss and what we learned of Yennefer at the end of Game 2. The OP kind of reads like a book reader's intro, which is nice, but still going to leave people a bit out of the lurch.

Fantastapotamus

I'd suggest maybe updating the OP with details for the first games a bit, particularly when it comes to Geralt and Triss and what we learned of Yennefer at the end of Game 2. The OP kind of reads like a book reader's intro, which is nice, but still going to leave people a bit out of the lurch.

There's really not much relevant happening between Geralt and Triss in Witcher 1 though. The story of W 1 is pretty self contained actually.
And Witcher 3 seems to focus on Yen, Ciri and the Wild Hunt which were basically never mentioned in the previous games (okay, the Wild Hunt was, but it wasn't that important)

Corpekata

Banned
There's really not much relevant happening between Geralt and Triss in Witcher 1 though. The story of W 1 is pretty self contained actually.
And Witcher 3 seems to focus on Yen, Ciri and the Wild Hunt which were basically never mentioned in the previous games (okay, the Wild Hunt was, but it wasn't that important)

The second game ends on you finding out what happened to Yennefer and going off to search for her. Finding out about her is one of Geralt's main goals, even if one he couldn't pursue directly. She also has amnesia, which seems like a relevant thing to bring up given it changes the character dynamics.

Geralt and Triss' relationship is a lot different than in the books, and we don't really know how directly they're going to relate it to the books yet.

Not suggesting a plot summary of like, the political machinations of the first game, but things like Geralt's amnesia and separation from Yennefer seem like the type of stuff that belongs there given it will likely inform the beginning of the third game's story.

molnizzle

Are all these characters from The Witcher 1 or something? I played the shit out of TW2 and had never heard of Yennefer or Ciri until last year's TW3 video at E3. I feel like they're skipping a game's worth of story before they start this one.

Corpekata

Banned
Are all these characters from The Witcher 1 or something? I played the shit out of TW2 and had never heard of Yennefer or Ciri until last year's TW3 video at E3. I feel like they're skipping a game's worth of story before they start this one.

Neither are from Witcher 1. Yennefer is mentioned a lot as the lost love Geralt only remembers bits and pieces of and you find out her fate at the end of the second game. I think Ciri has like one mention. He finishes Witcher 2 going out in search for her and that is where 3 picks up.

I'm betting Act 1 (or maybe just the prologue) is the search for Yennefer which leads into the larger story of searching searching for Ciri.

Sajjaja

Yennifer was in TW2 for sure in those flashback cinematics that Geralt had.

However, I don't rememeber Ciri. Also where did you get all this information regarding Ciri and Yennifer?

Corpekata

Banned
Yennifer was in TW2 for sure in those flashback cinematics that Geralt had.

However, I don't rememeber Ciri. Also where did you get all this information regarding Ciri and Yennifer?

It's from the wiki the OP posted, which is largely summaries of the books. The game summaries are largely in separate sections below the main body.

So, I always hear mixed things.

Is it worth playing W1 for the narrative? I hear the gameplay can be meh, and there's not much narrative as there is in W2.

Top Bottom