• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox update removes Netflix Party streaming.

I still don't see how this would indicate this party streaming resulted in higher cost for Netflix. There is little difference between 3 people streaming in a party or streaming separately other than the fact that they 3 would be synced up in a party.

it encourages people who normally wouldn't be watching to watch with friends. how many people would be watching nothing instead of something just because a friend wanted to watch in a party?

but yeah, it really does suck, i've been wanting to try it with my brother for months and we just never got around to it.

Dan Yo

Banned
it encourages people who normally wouldn't be watching to watch with friends. how many people would be watching nothing instead of something just because a friend wanted to watch in a party?

but yeah, it really does suck, i've been wanting to try it with my brother for months and we just never got around to it.
Ya the whole reason I even initially purchased a Netflix subscription was the promise of this feature for 360. I've obviously used it for other things, but the idea of not just playing games with friends on XBL, but also finishing a night with a movie with friends on XBL, was awesome. Was one of the cool advantages of going streaming over disc.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Probably like how a Sony purist would:

Thread: Only 1 PSN account per Vita - Cancel your preorders :(

Thread: My PS3 version of Skyrim is unplayable

Thread: If you have a Kinect, Get Rise of Nightmares
booURNS

lol what a joke character ahah

Yep, finally got home to get the new Netflix app. Sure enough, there is no party option. Glaring oversight? A feature soon to be re-implemented? I don't know, but no matter how I view this, it sucks.

Don't know what me and the lady are going to do now, in this regard.

samdavis

Neo Member
no.
in the previous version, when the episode ended, it would put you at the episode list with the next episode selected.

in this, while the episode is still playing, when the credit roll hits for the episode, it puts the video in a PIP box and has up several options and playing the next episode is the default option. you can also go to the episode list and rate the episode.

What's the difference between immediately going to the next show and simply backing out of the current one when the credits begin to roll and selecting the next one on your own (when it comes to saving costs).

Maybe that's not the point you were making but (and it is a cool feature), I heard "saving a minute of streaming bandwidth" given as a possible reason for the change.

------

On the new app as a whole: This almost seems like a mistake. The app itself is sluggish, pressing start brings up the icons instead of pausing right away, the sound effect for selecting play/pause is severely out of place, and overall everything about it feels like a step back.

It's especially noticeable when I'm in the middle of watching a film on the old app/dashboard and I get kicked off to get the update, only to return to something that makes me not even want to watch anything in Netflix at all anymore.

Daigoro

I think it can be a pretty nifty feature, but it isn't that surprising really, people even want to chat with other players while playing a different game which I will never understand.

yeah good point. people do seem to like to get into a party and chat when playing different games. i cant stand that either personally.

i do agree with people that it sucks to have a feature removed, especially if they actually used it.

maybe it was just an oversight.

stephen08

I called customer support and they told me that it was a known issue that people are looking at resolving.

I really hope it does get fixed and this isn't just some stock response.

: /

I never understood why I would watch a movie with someone else who isn't sitting with me on the couch. Sucks the feature is gone, but I never had any desire to use it. Wonder why the axed it?

I called customer support and they told me that it was a known issue that people are looking at resolving.
Oh, please, thank you, thank you, thank you! For as much as Netflix has done wrong lately, I was really hoping removing the party feature was an oversight!

I never understood why I would watch a movie with someone else who isn't sitting with me on the couch. Sucks the feature is gone, but I never had any desire to use it. Wonder why the axed it?

I used it quite a bit when I was living across the country from my friends. We'd all get together on XBL and watch a movie, make comments. In general, it was just a cool feature to have even if I didn't use it all the time. Like you said, why get rid of it?

Top Bottom