• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yakuza in the works, series general director confirms

alright, cool. one of the reasons I say it is because Kiryu himself looks a little different from demo to final, also the detail on his blue jacket makes it look more real than his classic suit in final. The red shirt looks more flashy and gangster like but the rest looks the same as any other Yakuza game.

Kazuma_Kiryu_in_Yakuza_6.jpg

There was some hilarious rage on other forums regarding his demo jacket, I'm not surprised that they replaced it though as it didn't really look right on Kiryu (I prefer his default outfit, or the outfits he gets in 0 and 5, he looked badass as a taxi driver). I do like his minor costume change in 6 when his in Hiroshima (looses the jacket, rolls up his sleeves). Just makes him look more badass!

i wouldn't expect yakuza 7 to be exclusive to switch if that's what you mean

While a Switch Yakuza would rock, I'm currently betting against it happening because:

The dragon engine is still being refined. It was confirmed that they are refining the dragon engine from 6 with whatever new game will be announced. The dragon engine also doesn't perform the best on PS4 for Yakuza 6. Frame rate wise its back to 30FPS and does have dips and tearing if you play it on a base PS4 console. Play it on a Pro and the frame rate is stable (still 30FPS though) and the tearing is all gone (which was my main concern before playing the game, I hate tearing).
Now they'd need to get that running on a Switch which is technically weaker than the PS4, so I think in that regard they'd have their work cut out for them to get it running well on the weaker system assuming the game is due to launch within the next year.

So while I'm not betting against a Yakuza title getting released on the Switch (since the Switch is really popular in Japan), I just don't see it happening yet. Plus the HD remasters of 1 and 2 for the Wii U tanked which probably killed much interest for Sega releasing the series on a Nintendo platform again for now, with the series becoming selling less in Japan, but with Asia picking up the slack I can see it staying a Playstation franchise for the next couple of iterations. Just my opinion though.

PC wise though? That could happen, the series would get more exposure and any technical limitations should be lifted - Yakuza 6 at 60FPS+? Older titles with better texturing + better frame rates etc. I'm really hoping this happens sooner rather than later, or at least give me ports of the PS3 games on the PS4!

There was some hilarious rage on other forums regarding his demo jacket, I'm not surprised that they replaced it though as it didn't really look right on Kiryu (I prefer his default outfit, or the outfits he gets in 0 and 5, he looked badass as a taxi driver). I do like his minor costume change in 6 when his in Hiroshima (looses the jacket, rolls up his sleeves). Just makes him look more badass!
yeah I could see people flipping out over his demo outfit. It didn't really bother me, the jacket was cool, so were the jeans, but those boots had to go. I just wish Yakuza 6 would go full on GTA with customization and allow you to dress up Kiryu how you like

While a Switch Yakuza would rock, I'm currently betting against it happening because:

The dragon engine is still being refined. It was confirmed that they are refining the dragon engine from 6 with whatever new game will be announced. The dragon engine also doesn't perform the best on PS4 for Yakuza 6. Frame rate wise its back to 30FPS and does have dips and tearing if you play it on a base PS4 console. Play it on a Pro and the frame rate is stable (still 30FPS though) and the tearing is all gone (which was my main concern before playing the game, I hate tearing).
Now they'd need to get that running on a Switch which is technically weaker than the PS4, so I think in that regard they'd have their work cut out for them to get it running well on the weaker system assuming the game is due to launch within the next year.

So while I'm not betting against a Yakuza title getting released on the Switch (since the Switch is really popular in Japan), I just don't see it happening yet. Plus the HD remasters of 1 and 2 for the Wii U tanked which probably killed much interest for Sega releasing the series on a Nintendo platform again for now, with the series becoming selling less in Japan, but with Asia picking up the slack I can see it staying a Playstation franchise for the next couple of iterations. Just my opinion though.
I'm not saying a Yakuza game on switch is impossible, but I just don't see Sega coming out with a Yakuza game and skipping out on a Playstation release. With the dragon engine, yes, future iterations will probably stay Playstaion exclusive, but if Sega wished they could easily port Yakuza 1-5 onto Switch, but like you said, since 1&2 didn't do so hot on Wii U, it might not be in their best interest.

also, Yakuza sales are really going down in Japan? Even if it is being picked up in Asia, I don't think it's a good sign for the series since Japan has always been its strongest territory. Not only that but I heard China was not happy with Yakuza 6. Something about translations

PC wise though? That could happen, the series would get more exposure and any technical limitations should be lifted - Yakuza 6 at 60FPS+? Older titles with better texturing + better frame rates etc. I'm really hoping this happens sooner rather than later, or at least give me ports of the PS3 games on the PS4!
honestly man I want the next Yakuza game to be Kiwami 2, but I think it'd be cool to see a Yakuza game on PC. Graphics would not have to be held back, but I would worry about sales again though

on a completely irrelevant note, house of cards drops tomorrow as well.

i woke up early this morning for ceri and i thought it was already the 30th

In for the logo and confirmation of time period. Hopefully it'll be another Samurai era game and this time they actually bring it over.

It'll be really cool if the next game was a Samurai one and we had a few protags with new faces. It'll be fun to guess which one of them they'll choose as the face of series in Yakuza 7.

In for the logo and confirmation of time period. Hopefully it'll be another Samurai era game and this time they actually bring it over.

It'll be really cool if the next game was a Samurai one and we had a few protags with new faces. It'll be fun to guess which one of them they'll choose as the face of series in Yakuza 7.
that would just make it a spinoff installment wouldn't it? also it would mean that the west would never get it

that would just make it a spinoff installment wouldn't it? also it would mean that the west would never get it
Well, we don't know if the next game will be a mainline entry so I'm hoping for a samurai spin-off.

Also after Yakuza 6, we'll be completely caught up on the mainline entries with Japan. So hopefully Sega will bring the next game to west, even if it is a spin-off.

Well, we don't know if the next game will be a mainline entry so I'm hoping for a samurai spin-off.

Also after Yakuza 6, we'll be completely caught up on the mainline entries with Japan. So hopefully Sega will bring the next game to west, even if it is a spin-off.
true, a spinoff is fair game at this point. we'll know more by tomorrow

Tizoc

They should make a spinoff yakuza game det in a post apocalypic japan, the protagonist is an older haruka who has survived thru the horros of this post apocalyptic world and learned how to komaki parry people's faces into the ground from kiryu who died prior to the vents of the game nd she goes on a revenge stpry to avenge his death by the hands of his blood brother nishiki

wamberz1

Whatever happens I just hope we get a female fighter protagonist, even if it isn't Haruka. There have been several side characters of the type now, there isn't an excuse anymore.

Peroroncino

They should make a spinoff yakuza game det in a post apocalypic japan, the protagonist is an older haruka who has survived thru the horros of this post apocalyptic world and learned how to komaki parry people's faces into the ground from kiryu who died prior to the vents of the game nd she goes on a revenge stpry to avenge his death by the hands of his blood brother nishiki

Fake, Kiryu is immortal.

This sounds like TLoU2

Peroroncino

Kyodai, you never read hokuto no ken nor battle angel alita have you?

I was talking specifically about games. :)

And no, didn't read both, but I did see entire Fist of the North Star anime.

Hopefully a new Yakuza series with a brand new cast in the same dragon engine.

I think dragon engine is more than likely. It would be stupid to devote so many resources creating it, only to shelve it after 1 game.

yakuza 2 is basically the uncharted 2 of the yakuza series, yeah?

For me it's the MGS3 of MGS series.

Laplasakos

Hopefully a new Yakuza series with a brand new cast in the same dragon engine.

Also, let us have multiple playable characters. 3 would be the ideal choice with one of them being female. Since we are getting news tommorow, i guess this will be featured in Famitsu and Dengeki? Probably it's Kiwami 2 since it's too early for Yakuza 7.

For me it's the MGS3 of MGS series.
was mgs3 the peak of the series? if it was, all the more reason kiwami 2 needs to be made.
Also, let us have multiple playable characters. 3 would be the ideal choice with one of them being female. Since we are getting news tommorow, i guess this will be featured in Famitsu and Dengeki? Probably it's Kiwami 2 since it's too early for Yakuza 7.
I think it was this thread, earlier on where I said that if Kiwami 2 is indeed the next installment, Sega would've just stated and announced as much, instead of saying "news on the next Yakuza coming soon"

I was talking specifically about games. :)
I think dragon engine is more than likely. It would be stupid to devote so many resources creating it, only to shelve it after 1 game..

The downside to the dragon engine is the frame rate. But we'll have to see i guess.

A female sounds good. But i REALLY DO NOT trust the Yakuza team to make a game about a woman seriously. Do you really think they will? Women are sex objects in the yakuza series. Besides the odd few of course. (hana!!)

Peroroncino

was mgs3 the peak of the series? if it was, all the more reason kiwami 2 needs to be made.

You'll find a lot of dissenting opinions, but for me it was hands down the best MGS ever created.

Kiwami 2 would be sublime and it would be pretty intuitive for the newcomers, starting with 0, K1 and then K2.

The downside to the dragon engine is the frame rate. But we'll have to see i guess.

They'll optimize it, I have no doubts about it, Y6 was their first game on DE so it was bound to be somewhat less than ideal on that front.

A female sounds good. But i REALLY DO NOT trust the Yakuza team to make a game about a woman seriously. Do you really think they will? Women are sex objects in the yakuza series. Besides the odd few of course. (hana!!)
come on, not all of them. the bartender in 0 wasn't, nor was Kiryu's love interest in 5. it would be cool if Yakuza 7 opened up with old man Logan Kiryu finishing his training up on Haruka.

only thing would be I don't think random goons on the street would wanna pick a fight with a girl.
You'll find a lot of dissenting opinions, but for me it was hands down the best MGS ever created.
You'll never find a 100% consensus on anything, ever. but if the general consensus that mgs3 is the goat mgs in the series, i will take your word for it.

Kiwami 2 would be sublime and it would be pretty intuitive for the newcomers, starting with 0, K1 and then K2.
fucking right it would be! if Kiryu's story is over, milk his legacy so all the new gen fans get a taste of him too

I started with 3, and I want to play through 2 just for that tiger scene

StereoVsn

I'd be so down for a Kiwami 2, it'll be the only one I haven't played :(
Man, I would say it's on par with Zero for me as to being the best game in the series. If you have a gaming PC, grab a copy and run in Emulation. You can also pick up a PS2 on the cheap as well now days which still has a ton of great games which were never ported anywhere.

Character wise I want them to stay far away from Haruka as a mini Kiryu. It makes 0 sense plot wise and hopefully her and Kiryu are left alone (for a while), 6 serves as their swan song.

For 7 I'd rather they just do two characters, anything more could get a bit messy plot wise. I felt 0 got things perfect with Kiryu's and Majima's plots tying together nicely without it being a messy like Yakuza 5 was. Character wise though I'd like a mix of old and new characters - I can see them going with a younger character like Tatsuya (from the PSP games) or maybe a brand new younger character who's a lower ranked Tojo clan member, with maybe Akiyama or Seijima as the returning character (I continue to be the one person that actually likes Seijima and wants to see him return again). A female character would be great as well.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Wait whaaaat? His default outfit has been lame since game 1. Literally all of his alternate outfits have looked waaaay better. Its cool if people like the original and all but to rage against change is silly. The series desperately needs change even if it starts out small, one new outfit at a time!

Wait whaaaat? His default outfit has been lame since game 1. Literally all of his alternate outfits have looked waaaay better. Its cool if people like the original and all but to rage against change is silly. The series desperately needs change even if it starts out small, one new outfit at a time!

I've nothing against his default outfit. But his different outfits based on the different cities he visits in the series was a nice change for sure. I wish I could find the Gamefaqs thread for 6, which had one rather "passionate" fan going off on one regarding how Kiryu (or any gangster) would never be caught wearing the demo outfit. That thread made me laugh at least!

I think the next main line game is the best chance the series will get for change. New cast (or at least no Kiryu), refined version of the new engine, hopefully deeper combat etc.

Give me that dual protag Yakuza 7, featuring Akiyama and Hana as the main characters.

Well Hana can technically fight, so its less of a crazy choice than Haruka in my opinion (I also love Hana, so I hope they bring her back for the next game!)

Man, I would say it's on par with Zero for me as to being the best game in the series. If you have a gaming PC, grab a copy and run in Emulation. You can also pick up a PS2 on the cheap as well now days which still has a ton of great games which were never ported anywhere.

I still have my PS2 but resisted the urge to pick up all those reprints. I definitely want to check out 2 whether it gets remade or not, though.

Well Hana can technically fight, so its less of a crazy choice than Haruka in my opinion (I also love Hana, so I hope they bring her back for the next game!)
I was so disappointed when in Yakuza 5 they didn't show more of Hana and her relationship with Akiyama. I really hope that we get to see more of those two at Yakuza 7.

#Hana4Life #AkiyamaAsMC

A remake of 2 would be nice, so that everyone who's new to the franchise can experience the very best installment.

Seriously though, 2 is a masterpiece. It'll never be bettered.

DansDans

But without Kiryu would I even want to play it? :,(

Still excited to hear more projects from RGG Studio, hopefully they can work on a new IP next.

EDIT: Oh I forgot, yes down for Kiwami 2 with best rival in the series.

Of course you would want to play it!

because as much as we love Kiryu, I think we can all admit that most of the other characters have been more interesting to play with - especially Goro. Heck, I loved playing as the money lender from the 4th game (his name escapes me) and even Haruka from the 5th game was more fun to use.

Lucumo

Looking at Kiryu's pictures above I can't help but feel that he somewhat resembles Ryo Hazuki from Shenmue.
Now that would be batshitcrazy if they made a Yakuza game with him, I need to start buying Yakuza games -_-

Picture-1.png
Looks weird (lean face etc), this is the real Ryo:

177437-ryo_hazuki.jpg

because as much as we love Kiryu, I think we can all admit that most of the other characters have been more interesting to play with - especially Goro. Heck, I loved playing as the money lender from the 4th game (his name escapes me) and even Haruka from the 5th game was more fun to use.

no. fuck no.

okay, I will give you the fact that in yakuza 0, majima was way more fun to play as with his slugger and breaker styles, but the other fact remains that kiryu is not only the greatest video game protagonist ever, he is just the greatest fictional character of all time. of ALL TIME.

Aki-at

Sadly not for me, Kiryu's fighting styles have been my favourite from the beginning. He is the perfect mix of raw power, speed, attack and defensive counters. Just a joy to play as.

Haruka was pretty fun but that's just dance battles. I enjoyed her gameplay style the second most in Yakuza 5 though.

Top Bottom