• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yoshinori Kitase interview: talks about FFVII, Nomura, Sakaguchi, DQ>FF

dionysus

Yaldog
duckroll said:
At least he admitted he played FFXII. I wonder what he has to say about FFX-2 and Crisis Core. Kitase should ask him why his Mistwalker games are so butt slow in comparison. :)

Heaven on earth would be if the majority of jrpgs just cut/pasted the FFX-2 battle system into themselves. Alas, that game has been ignored because its other flaws leave many people with a bad taste in their mouths.

I've only played LO, and the battles are very slow. To make up for this, you don't have to fight to many of them given the leveling system. Not sure if that is a good thing, as it actually minimizes the gameplay segments of LO. I still enjoyed it though.

Nolan.

duckroll said:
Well, Blue Dragon has no random encounters. ASH is a strategy RPG. Away is a dungeon based action RPG. Blue Dragon Plus is a RTS. Cry On is an action rpg.

It's really just Lost Odyssey that has random encounters, and that might have more to do with the fact that it's by the Shadow Hearts team, than it has to do with Sakaguchi. The problem with all the Mistwalker games are that the games just few SLOW (the 3 out now anyway) and I really want to know how he feels about that in comparison with say FFX-2's blazing fast awesome battle system which remains turn based and "traditional".

I like X-2's battle system but something tells me Sakaguchi just doesn't like that kind of thing. Especially when he has more control over projects he doesn't seem to hint much in the direction of fast battle systems. I could only guess maybe he was just trying to get some people into his games slowly then hike things up a bit. I read somewhere where he said something like what he intends to do with Bd next might surprise some people. So I could only hope battle is on the agenda.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Since there are people who hate puppies, it shouldn't be surprising that there are also people out there somewhere who hate DQ 8. There are also people who like to get chili at Wendy's. I disagree with all of them.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Nolan. said:
I like X-2's battle system but something tells me Sakaguchi just doesn't like that kind of thing. Especially when he has more control over projects he doesn't seem to hint much in the direction of fast battle systems. I could only guess maybe he was just trying to get some people into his games slowly then hike things up a bit. I read somewhere where he said something like what he intends to do with Bd next might surprise some people. So I could only hope battle is on the agenda.
I wouldn't call Blue Dragon's battle system slow, but the game itself did drag. ASH is just dog shit stuck in a camel's toe. Lost Odyssey's battle system would be faster if it weren't for the loading.

SomeDude said:
A bit off topic but should be thanking Kitase more for Chrono Trigger than Horii or Sakaguchi?

Chrono Trigger is an object suspended in space by the perfect tension between the relative gravities of all the surrounding planets. There just aren't that many opportunities for so many huge creative talents to go into a room together and bash their egos against one another until their ideas are honed to razor sharpness. It's like the Beatles of videogames.

Nolan. said:
I like X-2's battle system but something tells me Sakaguchi just doesn't like that kind of thing. Especially when he has more control over projects he doesn't seem to hint much in the direction of fast battle systems.

I don't know that he doesn't like them so much as that he's going through a compressed learning process of everything that happened on the PS1 and PS2 in the span of a few games. I expect whenever we see the next true-RPG title from Mistwalker it'll move a little quicker. :lol

Nolan.

charlequin said:
Chrono Trigger is an object suspended in space by the perfect tension between the relative gravities of all the surrounding planets. There just aren't that many opportunities for so many huge creative talents to go into a room together and bash their egos against one another until their ideas are honed to razor sharpness. It's like the Beatles of videogames.

I don't know that he doesn't like them so much as that he's going through a compressed learning process of everything that happened on the PS1 and PS2 in the span of a few games. I expect whenever we see the next true-RPG title from Mistwalker it'll move a little quicker. :lol

Actually that sounds more accurate in relation to what I meant than what I wrote.

SomeDude

Banned
Himuro said:
Are you serious? I cannot wait for FFXIII then.

Toriyama also directed Final Fantasy X-2, although alot of people dislike that game.

I personally find it to be one of the most fun games in the series.

Darkpen

Banned
SomeDude said:
Toriyama also directed Final Fantasy X-2, although alot of people dislike that game.

I personally find it to be one of the most fun games in the series.
people who ragged against X-2 were the ones who didn't even get to the first boss battle due to their allergic condition against all things made of pink and bubblegum.

I fucking LOVED the battle system in X-2 :(

zoku88

dionysus said:
Heaven on earth would be if the majority of jrpgs just cut/pasted the Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth battle system into themselves.
fixed :p

I've actually never played FFX-2, whats the battle system like?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Agreed on what Himuro said. Also, more RPGs should try to take themselves less seriously like X-2.

Many people shit on the light hearted "girly" plot, but I think it's one of the game's qualities. It's just pure fun.

Himuro said:
ATB perfected. It's real time but command based. Each job has specific strengths and weaknesses, llike before, but FFX-2 ups the ant. In FFX-2, you can parry enemy attacks by placing well time attacks. You can combo magic, attacks, magic with attacks, and add it to a multiplier which increases damage. This is required in later battles in the game, especially in the bonus dungeon which can be extremely difficult if you Oversoul the bosses.

It's a really satisfying and fun battle system.

On one boss I was fighting in FFX-2, he was way too fast for me. I couldn't catch up, I kept missing. On top of this he had attacks that did big damage. So I changed all my girls to thieves. They were so fast I was able to get more attacks in, than normal, and they rarely missed, allowing me to beat the boss. I thought that was really cool.

It's not only the battle system that's unique to FFX-2's gameplay either. The entire structure is unique to j-rpgs.
Pretty much. I'm praying that FF13's battle system is very close to FFX-2's, but with encounters taking place on the world map instead of randomly and on a separate battle screen, and with the fancy animations they seem to be aiming for. From the screens we've seen, it looks like you'll only control one character at once, but I'm hoping that there's a fast-character-switch button and that I can quickly move between characters to queue up moves so I still have full control as an option without it being extremely cumbersome to do so a la FF12 (which, for the record, I also enjoyed).

Himuro said:
It's not only the battle system that's unique to FFX-2's gameplay either. The entire structure is unique to j-rpgs.

Yep. My interest in FFXIII is driven almost entirely by the fact that Toriyama rocks the party that rocks the body.

duckroll

As much as I like Toriyama's style in FFX and FFX-2, he managed to kill a lot of that goodwill by directing and writing FFXIIRW. :/

zoku88

Himuro said:
ATB perfected. It's real time but command based. Each job has specific strengths and weaknesses, llike before, but FFX-2 ups the ant. In FFX-2, you can parry enemy attacks by placing well time attacks. You can combo magic, attacks, magic with attacks, and add it to a multiplier which increases damage. This is required in later battles in the game, especially in the bonus dungeon which can be extremely difficult if you Oversoul the bosses.

It's a really satisfying and fun battle system.

On one boss I was fighting in FFX-2, he was way too fast for me. I couldn't catch up, I kept missing. On top of this he had attacks that did big damage. So I changed all my girls to thieves. They were so fast I was able to get more attacks in, than normal, and they rarely missed, allowing me to beat the boss. I thought that was really cool.

Hmm sounds good enough. You played VP, right? How do their battle systems compare in "funness"?

Top Bottom