• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda: Breath of the Wild interview w/ Aonuma (transl. summary from French)

I use "dungeons" as shorthand, but like I've repeatedly said in the thread, the magic of Zelda when it comes to level design is in having uniquely themed and memorable stages where you discover the use of a new tool or weapon, use it to solve puzzles to progress, and then get to a sort of "exam" with the boss where you have to use what you learned to defeat it. It's a very compelling formula which very few games do right. That's why even in weaker Zelda titles, there's a satisfaction I get from them I can't get anywhere else.

I totally agree. If the unique themes are gone I will be very disappointed. Some of my fondest memories are tied to some of the more eclectic dungeons, finding those wonderful weapons and using them to take down the big baddie at the end. The unique vibe of each of these is very important to me in terms of creating an atmosphere that sets the tone for each challenge. I feel that if the puzzles in the main dungeons have a similar aesthetic then something very key to Zelda's magic will be lost. Just hoping that isn't the case. The shrine and guardian look is great but I want that to be separate. We'll see come release.

Branduil

Tbh I'd rather have them get to work on the next game then work on DLC.
With how much work they've put into this game and engine, I do expect post-game DLC to help recoup the costs.

Also wouldn't be surprised by a full sequel which reuses the assets, a la Majora's Mask.

I still think it's dumb as what will really happen is that I will just end up stockpiling weapons, avoid in making them stronger, avoid fighting enemies and dread when I have to fight them as I don't want to lose the weapons, especially if I worked hard to obtain it.

you dont think they're incentivizing combat encounters at all beyond getting better weapons? You'll surely run in to instances where a small friendly caravan is in danger of being terrorized, or a village, or simply having to clear all the enemies out of an area to rid it of traces of the calamity. The combat and tactics therein will, on some level, be their own satisfying reward (getting you more comfortable fighting progressively stronger beast as your organic experience level and tool set grows), but I can pretty confidently say that you'll never be wanting for weapons and be motivated to throw the more disposable ones around against the grunts while reserving your best options for magical elemental enemies, or the clutch finishing blows on boss type creatures.

this game seems to center around a bit of a theme of regular gathering, crafting, and consumption in order to comfortably survive. I'm ready for it. Wont feel overly attached to most weapons, and looking forward to not having thousands of rupees without much to buy

Cuburt

Wow, it's like we are going back to E3 where the demo didn't have villages and people took that to mean the game didn't have villages because of one misinterpreted Aonuma quote.

Flare

A little more than five weeks remaining before we find out if this game has traditional dungeons. Can't wait!

But what if... This one does?

My absolutely crazy, no basis in reality or evidence, theory for this game is that at the mid-way point there will be a major change-up. Kind of like going from the Light World to the Dark World, or from Young Link to Adult Link. But, this time, it'll be that you'll switch from playing Link to Zelda.

Think about it guys.

THINK ABOUT IT.

I'd definitely want it. She's been waiting a long time.

MdDjYll.png

NoGoJaRed

Neo Member
First time poster, long time lurkerer, avid LoZ fan.

My theory and wish:

There will be one main, multi-tiered dungeon that must be cleared to access the final battle. You can tackle this dungeon at anytime after jumping from the plateau, but as implied by the developers several times, be prepared to die.

The 4 guardians can also be defeated at anytime, but they are not what would be considered the equivalent of past LoZ dungeons. Some of them may be large enough that defeating them may require going inside the creature and solving puzzles/challenges. The order you defeat them will affect the story and world in subtle, yet dynamic ways.

Defeating the guardians will also open up different starting points within the "dungeon". Defeating all the guardians will open up a final starting point that will lead you to the final battle without having to conquer all parts of this hopefully very long and very challenging dungeon.

This is also my theory/conclusion on how Nintendo is eliminating the need for an easy mode or hard mode in this game. Thank you for listening.

Edited some spelling errors

I use "dungeons" as shorthand, but like I've repeatedly said in the thread, the magic of Zelda when it comes to level design is in having uniquely themed and memorable stages where you discover the use of a new tool or weapon, use it to solve puzzles to progress, and then get to a sort of "exam" with the boss where you have to use what you learned to defeat it. It's a very compelling formula which very few games do right. That's why even in weaker Zelda titles, there's a satisfaction I get from them I can't get anywhere else.

Super disagree.

It's fun when they introduce tools that truly have flexible utility. But this is very rare. Most Zelda tools have stuck around for years, or have very rudimentary applications that hardly amount to puzzles.

And the fact that most dungeons are heavily scripted when it comes to "getting to the end" makes them somewhat boring on a replay. You already know how to apply the weapons and maybe even how to solve specific puzzles. Dungeons that throw more skill-based trials at you or that can be approached or progressed through multiple ways are much more replayable because they aren't designed to be "figured out once" but your performance can constantly vary and improve.

Top Bottom