• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

dr guildo

The lighting looks cartoony in GTS, like how Forza 5 & 6 looked. Much prefer the Forza 7.

37578936532_7be22f90ac_o.png

36900694914_3bf25f8113_o.png

CARTOONY ?!

Indeed

KageMaru

No one find it strange that if you post Driveclub/Gran Turismo Sport screenshots or gifs people tell you that the game don't look as good as the pictures & gifs but if you post screenshots or gifs of Forza 7 people tell you that they don't do the game justice?

I find it strange that you feel the need to instigate in a thread that clearly doesn't need it. I also don't see a need to lump "people" together. There are people who hold a wide range of opinions here. Last most of the posted pics/GIFs of GTS are different than those posted of Forza. At least since I've hopped in the thread, there have been a number of pictures highlighting the weaknesses of Forza, and rightfully so. However most of the media posted for GTS hasn't been with the intention of highlighting the flaws.

There are plenty of pics/GIFs for both games that showcase how great both games look. There's honestly no need to instigate, exaggerate, or downplay like some are doing in this thread.

There isn't a generational leap in lighting that was the difference between F4 and GT5. Like it or lump it, it is possible to see how someone might prefer the look of Forza. The highs of GT again are higher but in general there's nothing really special this time around and therefore no good reason to attack it or gloat. But of a letdown really.

I agree with your post for the most part. All except the end. I don't understand how GTS can be a letdown graphically. It's a solid and excellent looking game.

Don't know why some people still trying to say forza 7 looks better than gts -_- its over done move on damn

This couldn't be further from the truth if you dug into every aspect of each game's graphical makeup.

leeh

I agree with your post for the most part. All except the end. I don't understand how GTS can be a letdown graphically. It's a solid and excellent looking game.
Just like me with DC, I think it's all the outrageously great looking GIF's which give people the expectation of gameplay being a bigger & better version of that.

Far from the case.

dlauv

Oversaturated and cartoony - Forza 7 runs circles around IRL.

Not really. GTS doesn't look like that although it is colorful.

I wouldn't call the humans in a Marvel movie "cartoonish" just because they slap a desaturation filter over the whole thing (I'd call them cartoonish for other reasons). I think it's the way the light is hitting the cars in conjunction with movement in the comparison vid that makes GTS look less realistic. And also the trees. And the reflections on the Forza side seem to have more detail.

In this shot in particular, I don't understand why the car is so richly saturated and lit the way it is in comparison to the rest of the track. On the Forza side, it's all desaturated, so it looks more like a filter rather than an off-base lighting model. It's all possible that it's just some freak happenstance with GTS' engine and that particular shade of yellow.

The Forza side looks bad though when it comes to the trackside. The ground looks so flatly shaded with minimal detail.

I think the cartoony argument should just die, it can be thrown back and forwards forever. Some like they're games with toned down colours, some like them overdone and saturated. It's matter of taste and can be easily adjusted with the TV settings. Screenshots will of course not show this; but both Forza and GT will look different on different TV's due to the settings you prefer or have set on your TV.

When you are a simulator, its inherent that realism is what you strive for. When people say cartoony, I reckon they mean the material shaders with Forza, which make the cars look unrealistic in the environment and also look like plastic sometimes in the light.

Don't know why some people still trying to say forza 7 looks better than gts -_- its over done move on damn

Denial.
Though its quite sad considering there won't be any sim racers for at least 2 years now.

MilkyJoe

I don't care about the quote, it's about what you wanted to prove with that video. Which you can't for the reasons I stated.

WTF are you talking about?

I've heard it all now... How anyone can say from that video that sunny weather lighting is better in Forza than GTS, let alone saying it runs circles around it is beyond me. Did you switch the two games around in your mind while looking at that video?

The video is overcast and haze... What else am I trying to prove here other than showing the video that clearly shows it's overcast and haze.

Jeepers...

TBiddy

Denial.
Though its quite sad considering there won't be any sim racers for at least 2 years now.

Yes, clearly everyone is in denial. It impossible that people *gasp* have a different opinion than you.

GTS looks great. FM7 looks great. GTS sometimes outshines FM7 and FM7 sometimes outshines GTS.

I know it hurts, but the above is a fact.

KageMaru

When you are a simulator, its inherent that realism is what you strive for. When people say cartoony, I reckon they mean the material shaders with Forza, which make the cars look unrealistic in the environment and also look like plastic sometimes in the light.

Denial.

It's pretty clear you have an issue with seeing things objectively, so I don't think you have a leg to stand on when speaking about other posters.

leeh

29%.
They used a lot of assets from previous games, which cut down on dev time.
Well to be precise 38%. Is the gap lower now between PS4/X1 haha?

Yeah, we know that, but that's because they're smarter and off-load time consuming work which has no need to be done internally.

leeh

I'm not a pro and i really don't know anything about the technical stuff, but to me, just by looking at this video GTS looks a lot better.
Not surprising considering the entirely different tracks, ToD and it running on a Pro.

Great comparison video. /s

Gaenor

Banned
I haven’t played Forza 7 yet (waiting on the X), but I expect it to be a bit like Gran Turismo Sport : sometimes impressive, often good, sometimes disappointing. Imo of course

pLow7

Not surprising considering the entirely different tracks, ToD and it running on a Pro.

Great comparison video. /s

Well he choose that Video in favor of Forza (granted he was talking about lightning), so i at least thought it'll be a good represantation.

I don't understand how the narrative has gone to Forza 7 has more realistic lighting than GT Sports now. You guys are nuts.

The demo is out, and while it isn't perfect the lighting is much more realistic than Forza.

Instead some of you decide to post that ONE video when there's tons more proof out there.

This is 'Confederacy is not about slavery' level of shit right here.

MilkyJoe

Ad hominem will get you far.

oh lord.

Tell you what. just don't engage me anymore.

I don't understand how the narrative has gone to Forza 7 has more realistic lighting than GT Sports now. You guys are nuts.

The demo is out, and while it isn't perfect the lighting is much more realistic than Forza.

Instead some of you decide to post that ONE video when there's tons more proof out there.

haha fucking 'ell mate, reel it in a bit there.

I haven't played Forza 7 yet (waiting on the X), but I expect it to be a bit like Gran Turismo Sport : sometimes impressive, often good, sometimes disappointing. Imo of course

We already know that.

Dubai vs Maple Valley is a prime example. Also a lot of the car models. I guess time was a major factor .

Tomeru

If we are talking about which one is more pleasing to the eyes, then its subjective. If we are talking about which one is overall more realistic, then its less subjective. There is a right and wrong answer on objective matters.

KageMaru

I honestly haven't played or seen enough of either game to share an opinion on which is better. One thing I can say for certainty though is the changing ToD in Forza makes accurate comparisons difficult.

While one may have an overall edge in visual presentation alone (my money is on GTS), it's likely both will have a set of strengths and weaknesses.

No matter who's making the comparison, the difference in lighting models should always be kept in consideration.

Are you really comparing immature console war bullshit with slavery?

This thread was good for a laugh to dip in and out of, cause I thought everyone was just taking the piss. I was wrong, some in here are way too invested in this shit. Its sad and worrying in equal measure.

Yes, clearly everyone is in denial. It impossible that people *gasp* have a different opinion than you.

GTS looks great. FM7 looks great. GTS sometimes outshines FM7 and FM7 sometimes outshines GTS.

I know it hurts, but the above is a fact.

Are you 12?

It's pretty clear you have an issue with seeing things objectively, so I don't think you have a leg to stand on when speaking about other posters.

Not sure why some of you are finding it so hard to admit one game looks better than the other to be frank. Subjectivity doesn't really come into play when we have an objective metric: realism.

I can admit DC's weather looks the best, or that Forza on PC has the best IQ with its 4k. GTS nails the realism like no other.

Are you really comparing immature console war bullshit with slavery?

This thread was good for a laugh to dip in and out of, cause I thought everyone was just taking the piss. I was wrong, some in here are way too invested in this shit. Its sad and worrying in equal measure.
Christ of course not. Just narrative changes people take to justify their choice.

Space_nut

Looks like the same 2D Trees/Leaves/(and some grass) tricks from DC. Bit more 2D though. Those reflections are really rough.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Just a very, very vague kinda looks like the environment low-res reflection. At 1080p quality it's very bad.

Interesting I can see how gts optimized for 60fps

MilkyJoe

Not sure why some of you are finding it so hard to admit one game looks better than the other to be frank. Subjectivity doesn't really come into play when we have an objective metric: realism.

I can admit DC's weather looks the best, or that Forza on PC has the best IQ with its 4k. GTS nails the realism like no other.

I'm afraid, no matter what you think of yourself, you are not the final word. We have a final word already, and Christ almighty, we do not need another. People like different things.

But saying that, how is GT nailing realism,? it looks like the cars float around the track.

eso76

So I tried to do some pictures from dragon's tail last night and not being able to move the camera freely around the car makes it almost very difficult to capture things, in my opinion.

You can, somewhat (R2+stick, or something) but after Forza I always found the photomode interface rather cumbersome in GT, plus you don't get to preview how shutter speed affects your picture. Weird for a game in which photomode is so comprehensive and fleshed out.
Forza implementation is more intuitive and quicker.

Synth

If we are talking about which one is more pleasing to the eyes, then its subjective. If we are talking about which one is overall more realistic, then its less subjective. There is a right and wrong answer on objective matters.

Kiiinda. Because the games aren't made up entirely of any single aspect, then it becomes subjective as to the weight each aspect holds. Some people will argue that lighting above all else determines which game looks more realistic... but without affecting the lighting in any way whatsoever, you can make either game look clearly more game-like by adjusting other settings like resolution, texture details, LOD pop-in, etc.

Personally, I don't think arguing Forza 7's lighting as being as realistic as GTS is even reasonable, but there are plenty of other aspects of GTS that I see as bringing the game back in line with others. I would say that it looks overall the most realistic (but not overall best), but it's not really objective.

leeh

What we all should be happy about is that we have 2 sim's releasing at similar times and they're both very high quality.

Gestault

This isn't really a bad looking track at all though, especially when you change up the time settings. It isn't a step below the other tracks I've played. There are some time of day settings, such as that overcast, where the vegetation shaders don't have much to work with; but they still react beautifully to light, subsurface scatter, and self shadows across the other various time of day. I find the hazy daylight and noon looks the best.

I think twilight is my favorite, because the softness from the deeper blue sky sort of blends things together, and you still have some of the better-looking layering to the tree panels.

Top Bottom