• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Deviousx

Utterly ridiculous how good this game looked for its time. Part of me would say it was the best looking 360 game altogether.

PG managed to render FH @ native 1280x720, 4xMSAA + FXAA, and delivered a rock solid 30FPS w/ no tearing on the 360. That's pretty impressive.

Programming wizardry.

Tinúviel

PG managed to render FH @ native 1280x720, 4xMSAA + FXAA, and delivered a rock solid 30FPS w/ no tearing on the 360. That's pretty impressive.

Programming wizardry.

Well, they are the wizards.

The development studio was established in 2010, by former employees of other well known British games developers, such as Codemasters, Bizarre Creations, Criterion Games, Ubisoft Reflections, Slightly Mad Studios, Black Rock Studio, Juice Games, Sony Liverpool

Playground is like the all-star team of the racing genre.

Gestault

Forza 7 | PC, gameplay

R6masGo.gif

RcuBTxY.gif

Some of these tracks are unbelievable.

Mascot

Doesn't just look cheap, it's distracting and disorientating.

Cannot play in that view at all.

The crab claws remain terribad but it's sad to see FM still having OTT paddle-shifting animations too. It's not as bad as previous iterations where the driver almost took his hand off the wheel to operate the paddle but it's still a bit LOOK AT ME I'M CHANGING GEAR DUDES for my liking.

Is the steering wheel rotation still locked quite low or is that now fixed?

They should add more animations to the hands in Forza, I agree. Would be cool with some random ones too, like the driver stretching out his fingers once in a blue moon, scratching his other hand or adjusting the airconditioner :p

The crab claws remain terribad but it's sad to see FM still having OTT paddle-shifting animations too. It's not as bad as previous iterations where the driver almost took his hand off the wheel to operate the paddle but it's still a bit LOOK AT ME I'M CHANGING GEAR DUDES for my liking.

Well it feels lower than it should often but I think the ffb is at fault, well partially at fault because you can push it further but you don't fully trust it due to the way the understeer is handled. It's o ly really around Long Beach I need to turn the wheel hard. Normal steering helps smooth things out though, in my mind at least.

I've been reading on GTPlanet about the advance wheel settings and how things works, hopefully I'll get to have a play with them.

Edit: ok, yeah. I was somewhat pleased with my settings but they can deffo be tweaked more, did a test and it does feel better.

MilkyJoe

Not a knock on FH3 (as it does look beautiful) but we're now ok with posting Photomode screenshots of a 30fps racer?(assuming the screenshots are on console)

In the thread of thousands of photomode Driveclub pictures?

Personally I think Photomode defies the point of the title of the tread, or any screenshot thread really.

Hojaho

The short experience I had with a wheel and FM was weird. You could go 720 degrees on the actual wheel, but it would go no further than 90 on the ingame visual.

Other games I tried (GTS/PC2/DC) matched perfectly.

i was watching the GB quick look for GT:S, there seems to be motion blur enabled in race when running the game in 1080p mode on the pro? can anyone confirm?

I can definitely confirm this after watching the latest gameplay vids on Gamersyde.

When you pause Gamersyde's GTS gameplay vids, you can blatantly see motion blur to the sides of your screen, especially when turning corners.

rashbeep

Banned
Please let me know If I shouldn't post these sound comparisons in here.
Laferrari FM7 vs GTS vs PC2 vs AC vs DC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSpSo_GE6qo

for this it's

AC
DC
GTS
F7
PC2

might even put F7 lowest here because they didn't even come close to getting the pitch right, although the car still sounds somewhat aggressive as it should. gts actually sounds closest to the real thing in terms of pitch, but kinda has the same problem the rest of the game has in that it sounds a bit duller than the rest.

these comparisons are good btw, and this thread is probably the only place to post them.

edit: lol almost the opposite ranking of theadmiester XD

Please let me know If I shouldn't post these sound comparisons in here.
Laferrari FM7 vs GTS vs PC2 vs AC vs DC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSpSo_GE6qo

I thought FM7's LaFerrari sound was totally off until hearing those real clips. It needs a tiny bit more of that bassy note you can hear in the RL clips, and it's a tiny bit too high pitch but I didn't realise it wasn't that far off. The off-throttle sounds seem to be pretty much there.

GTS' sounds entirely synthetic, there's not enough "metal" sound to it, and it still has that weird effect where with stereo headphones it sounds like it's behind me. That upshifting is still as bad as ever too. High speed wind noise is decent.

pCARS' sounds in terms of samples are probably the best here, but that weird choking rev limiter sound shouldn't be there IMO. Their granular approach works really well besides said limiter sound, although the downshift clunks seem to be a bit too loud.

AC's sound is okay, but it sounds like "LaFerrari flyby" rather than "LaFerrari exhaust". Sounds like the distant echoy race car noise rather than something you'd hear close up. Sounds like pitch bending in the very low rev range too. Also, transmission whine on interior is way too loud.

Driveclub has that weird choppy sound to it that all of its V12s have (sounds like they use the same samples for every Ferrari too) and the weird droning noise. Driveclub's engine noises have never sounded right to me though, I think that's the weakest point of that game. The interior muffling is pretty good though.

If I had to rank them I'd say PC2 > FM7 = AC > GTS > DC

I thought FM7's LaFerrari sound was totally off until hearing those real clips. It needs a tiny bit more of that bassy note you can hear in the RL clips, and it's a tiny bit too high pitch but I didn't realise it wasn't that far off. The off-throttle sounds seem to be pretty much there.

GTS' sounds entirely synthetic, there's not enough "metal" sound to it, and it still has that weird effect where with stereo headphones it sounds like it's behind me. That upshifting is still as bad as ever too. High speed wind noise is decent.

pCARS' sounds in terms of samples are probably the best here, but that weird choking rev limiter sound shouldn't be there IMO. Their granular approach works really well besides said limiter sound, although the downshift clunks seem to be a bit too loud.

AC's sound is okay, but it sounds like "LaFerrari flyby" rather than "LaFerrari exhaust". Sounds like the distant echoy race car noise rather than something you'd hear close up. Sounds like pitch bending in the very low rev range too. Also, transmission whine on interior is way too loud.

Driveclub has that weird choppy sound to it that all of its V12s have (sounds like they use the same samples for every Ferrari too) and the weird droning noise. Driveclub's engine noises have never sounded right to me though, I think that's the weakest point of that game. The interior muffling is pretty good though.

If I had to rank them I'd say PC2 > FM7 = AC > GTS > DC

No way FM7 sounds better than Driveclub. IMO LOL especially with the real car in the video. Going directly from the real car to FM7 and FM7 just does not sound right. DC has the best sounding Laferrari and GTS was surprisingly very good too.

Tripolygon

Banned
for this it's

AC
DC
GTS
F7
PC2

might even put F7 lowest here because they didn't even come close to getting the pitch right, although the car still sounds somewhat aggressive as it should. gts actually sounds closest to the real thing in terms of pitch, but kinda has the same problem the rest of the game has in that it sounds a bit duller than the rest.

these comparisons are good btw, and this thread is probably the only place to post them.

edit:
almost the opposite ranking of
theadmiester
XD
I would put DC first because of interior sound but AC is no slouch either. But your assessment is entirely accurate.

I would ignore theadmeister on sound. Getting the pitch of a car entirely wrong as is evident by Forza 7 yet still put it above DC or GTS.

for this it's

AC
DC
GTS
F7
PC2

edit: lol almost the opposite ranking of theadmiester XD

I would put DC first because of interior sound but AC is no slouch either. But your assessment is entirely accurate.

The thing with AC is that it sounds like they recorded their sound from a track and slapped it onto the in game car.

The thing with AC is that it sounds like they recorded their sound from a track and slapped it onto the in game car.

That's what I was trying to get across with AC's sound. It's a great sample of that sound, but it's not the one they should be using for exhaust notes.

It's like if Raceroom took this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZt6PG4SGPY
...and applied the sounds to each car's exhaust while normalising the bits where it gets quieter. It's a weird effect but it is a good sample still.

I would ignore theadmeister on sound.

The fact that you say to ignore me after implying someone's observations are objectively "entirely accurate" is pretty funny.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The GT vs Forza video is finished and weighs in at 24 minutes!

The only thing I didn't get to include is a sound comparison. I simply ran out of time and I'm not sure I'm well suited to judge this aspect of the games so I opted to leave it out.

The rest of the video is extremely detailed and I think it's very fair and balanced. Ultimately, I wanted to highlight the best of both games and really showcase what its developers achieved. They both clearly have unique advantages over one another.

I would say that anyone claiming that either "looks like shit" is wildly incorrect and being disrespectful to both developers.

The only thing I didn't get to include is a sound comparison. I simply ran out of time and I'm not sure I'm well suited to judge this aspect of the games so I opted to leave it out.

The rest of the video is extremely detailed and I think it's very fair and balanced. Ultimately, I wanted to highlight the best of both games and really showcase what its developers achieved. They both clearly have unique advantages over one another.

I would say that anyone claiming that either "looks like shit" is wildly incorrect and being disrespectful to both developers.

when will it be up?

c0de

Looking forward to it!

Upinsmoke

Interesting seeing EG compare them both. Basically GTS comes out on top in every department bar the resolution. (VS PC btw)

Why don't they compare OG PS4 and Xbox one with both games.

Did they actually compare DC with Forza 5 or whatever? Why is it different with GTS?

Fredrik

I found a comparison of Project Cars 2 (PC), Forza 7 (PC) and GT Sport using identical Corvettes on the same Nurburgring GP circuit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aTaOgmolw8
Fantastic video! Same thing with cockpit cam too and it would be perfect. GTS takes the graphics crown imo, and FM7 has the best chase cam and sound imo.
Not shown here but I think PC2 has the best and most versatile cockpit cam, an option to remove in-game steering wheel and driver arms without changing cam (as in FM7) is great when using a steering wheel. Not sure how GTS handles this in the full version but in the demo I couldn't remove the ingame steering wheel, nobody talks about it now though so I guess it was a demo issue.

I keep seeing people say the reason why GTS looks better than FM7 in some instances is because of less cars etc... Forza 5 has way less cars than FM7 so why does FM7 look better? Did the car models get worse because they added way more cars? Also don't Horizon and Mainline Forza share car models?

Top Bottom