• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Shaneus

I hope Evolution improve the anti aliasing in Driveclub 2.
Everything else they've done already adds up to easily the best looking racing game around, but improve the AA by all means.
Whatever they do though I sincerely hope they DON'T make it open world.
I have a feeling we'll get an AA update during the lifespan of this game. That they can implement weather with little to no impact on performance shows how insanely talented the guys are, I'm sure they've seen the IQ differences between DC and FH2 to know that they should fix them best they can.

shandy706

ibiZUcI4puBaNE.jpg

Have to love the 458.

Draw distance.. yeah.. The vistas are stunning and are really huge when you watch the camera pan over them at the start of races. The environments are sometimes insane looking.

As far as driving to things in FH2.. Well yeah you can but the foliage isn't really impressive to me. It looks good in motion but once you stop the car and look it looks last gen almost. Most of the open ended parts of FH2 are pretty barren or filled with low geometry trees from what I've seen.

The lighting is top notch in DC, which helps a lot in those pans and in motion. It just looks so bad texture wise to me though (not talking color pallet/temp here like some though...I think it's excellent). It loses it's allure when you sit still and even in motion on straights with distant objects. Blurry roads, blurry rocks, blurry grass/plants (unless at a perfect distance) texture wise. I've not seen anything that looks great up close, and the early morning/evening and night is when it looks best and those textures are masked by the lack of light.

Prototype

With all of my car-loving heart. Its my number one goal to unlock or buy in any driving game that lets me.
I get this way about the Mclaren F1. If it's in a game it's likely all I'll drive, even if it means losing.

I'd rather lose in it, then win in something else.

I tweeted the DC guys and asked about the car and the response was "maybe :)"

Shaneus

I get this way about the Mclaren F1. If it's in a game it's likely all I'll drive, even if it means losing.

I'd rather lose in it, then win in something else.

I tweeted the DC guys and asked about the car and the response was "maybe :)"
Is the MP12C in DC? If so, I'd say there's a damn good chance we'll see the F1.

ICPEE

I don't care about fair. I care which console is producing the better looking game when they get a first party AAA game on them.

Let's ignore the power differences clueless fanboys have calculated and look at these games.

FH2 actually BEATS DC in some areas of image quality.... and it's OPEN WORLD! Holy shit. I'd seen all the screen shots and gifs and I didn't think FH2 had a chance. But in the end, DC looks worse than what was posted beforehand and FH2 looks better. Everyone was saying "Driveclub has jagged power lines, but I'm sure it'll be fixed by launch!" Instead it has more jaggies.

Add on top of that functioning weather and it's not even close. FH2 OWNS this. And if anyone wants to use this game as a referendum on consoles. .. the XB1 is more powerful using this measuring stick.
Yeah i dont know about that.
Forza WET
2652015-forza-horizon-2-hands7eypi.gif

Driveclub WET
qmzfuo.gif

mrklaw

MrArseFace
DriveClub is definitely better looking but that is the worst FH2 gif i have ever seen, there are much better gifs out there.

FH2 generally doesn't look great in the rain, especially at night. The AI cars practially look stuck on the way they are lit at the start of races. And the road is too often glossy, rather than having that textured look that DC has with weather. In towns it is often very pretty, but not so much at fast speeds during races.

And both games seen to have poor windscreen effects during rain. Going at any sort of speed during a race, you'd need fast wipers and still have poor visibility. Both games just seem to pop a few pretty drops on the windscreen for effect and they don't even move up the screen.

fresquito

Why are people comparing a game with wet effects with a game without wet effects? DC has no wet weather at the moment, get over it. GIF fighting over something that's not real makes zero sense. Once wet weather is implemented and you cana ctually see how it looks in its definitive version, then you can GIF fight all you want.

ICPEE

I'm sure he had plenty to chose from, but that one looked extra lame
Do these satisfy you?
Forza Horizon 2 WET
i1YPTsdv2F6ko.gif

2557854-fh2+wreck.gif

Driveclub WET
2628021-7015855492-Excel.gif

Let me know if the Horizon 2 gifs are good enough because i googled all of them and the above one's are the best i can get off google. If there are other better looking rain/wet gifs of Horizon 2 around please feel free to post them.

le-seb

And both games seen to have poor windscreen effects during rain. Going at any sort of speed during a race, you'd need fast wipers and still have poor visibility. Both games just seem to pop a few pretty drops on the windscreen for effect and they don't even move up the screen.
You've seen DC cockpit view during rain or snow conditions?
Where?

ICPEE

Yeah, I'm going to wait till the weather update has actually been released.
Driveclub looks light years better with weather effects than Forza Horizon 2 does. That's the reason i posted the gifs because someone else mentioned Forza Horizon 2 is markedly better in weather effects than Driveclub.
I just posted the gifs to prove the poster wrong.
In any case, my eyes don't lie. One game looks light years better than the other when it comes to dynamic weather.

RetroStu

Banned
Driveclub looks light years better with weather effects than Forza Horizon 2 does. That's the reason i posted the gifs because someone else mentioned Forza Horizon 2 is markedly better in weather effects than Driveclub.
I just posted the gifs to prove the poster wrong.
In any case, my eyes don't lie. One game looks light years better than the other when it comes to dynamic weather.

Why are you so invested in this?

ICPEE

Why are you so invested in this?
I thought this was a next gen racing face off thread where one can compare graphics and effects between the released or upcoming racing titles?
Why are you asking me that question. I simply posted a comparison between two titles just like 90 percent of the posters in this thread.

le-seb

GIFs showing hood view
The hood is ahead of the windscreen, you know?

AFAIK, no cockpit/dashboard view footage of DriveClub during rain/snow conditions has been shown.
They even said they didn't because they hadn't animated the wipers already.

So, it's a bit unfair to call out DC for this...

MilkyJoe

Do these satisfy you?
Forza Horizon 2 WET
i1YPTsdv2F6ko.gif

i1YPTsdv2F6ko.gif

Driveclub WET
2628021-7015855492-Excel.gif

Let me know if the Horizon 2 gifs are good enough because i googled all of them and the above one's are the best i can get off google. If there are other better looking rain/wet gifs of Horizon 2 around please feel free to post them.

Yes a much better gif, it doesnt look like an early 360 game now.

So tell me, what is the obsession with all this graphics comparrisson? It's like posting a picture of a super model next to some girl from your office/class. It's a job for captain obvious.

Forza looks much better when you play it, not as good as Driveclub, but more than good enough for the player and the you tube vids are not flattering, I can tell you that.

Driveclub has amazing graphics, it really looks better than anything out there. Who cares? Cause at the end of the day is the game any good? I have never played it so I cannot answer the question, but I can tell you Horizon is the best game i have played this gen, so far. And that is coming from someone who only have PGR, which was a freebie, the whole of last gen.

ICPEE

Yes a much better gif, it doesnt look like an early 360 game now.

So tell me, what is the obsession with all this graphics comparrisson? It's like posting a picture of a super model next to some girl from your office/class. It's a job for captain obvious.

Forza looks much better when you play it, not as good as Driveclub, but more than good enough for the player and the you tube vids are not flattering, I can tell you that.

Driveclub has amazing graphics, it really looks better than anything out there. Who cares? Cause at the end of the day is the game any good? I have never played it so I cannot answer the question, but I can tell you Horizon is the best game i have played this gen, so far. And that is coming from someone who only have PGR, which was a freebie, the whole of last gen.
This happens alot. I post something about an Xbox One game and i get jumped on like a horde of flies on a steaming pile of fresh cow dung. Maybe not in a totally negative way but i still felt like i had to defend myself.
I never said Horizon 2 looks like a dogs ass after christmas leftovers and those really were the best wet/rain gifs of Horizon 2 i could find.
Yes Horizon 2 is the best next gen game out now, i agree with that, i don't think anybody can disagree with that. There is so much more shit Horizon 2 offers compared to other racers and it looks great and much more photoreal in photomode.
I was just comparing the weather effects of the two titles, purely just the visuals.

MilkyJoe

This happens alot. I post something about an Xbox One game and i get jumped on like a horde of flies on a steaming pile of fresh cow dung. Maybe not in a totally negative way but i still felt like i had to defend myself.
I never said Horizon 2 looks like a dogs ass after christmas leftovers and those really were the best wet/rain gifs of Horizon 2 i could find.
Yes Horizon 2 is the best next gen game out now, i agree with that, i don't think anybody can disagree with that. There is so much more shit Horizon 2 offers compared to other racers and it looks great and much more photoreal in photomode.
I was just comparing the weather effects of the two titles, purely just the visuals.

My appologies for jumping on you. Just getting a little tired of the mines better than yours nonsense, of late.

I lost a whole day to Forza yesterday... before I knew it the missus was moaning at me to make the dinner, I was like what? it cant be later than 3... "it's after 5.." she said.

fresquito

You new here?
fresquito is like Project Cars MVP.

Glorious graphics, but I really hate the droplets effect in third person view.
That's fun because in the WMD forums SMS heads give me the concern troll treatment. I guess you can't try to sit in the middle. You need to take sides, act blindly to defend your thing and attack anything else.

Anytime you say DC image quality and textures are subpar, they will talk about lighting. Anytime you talk about vegetation in FH2 they will talk about open worlds. Anytime you talk about PC droplets on camera... well, I think nobody likes them lol:

Now that people are talking about wet effects. I really dislike that PC has so many puddles. It's totally unreal in a racing track. Besides, they create many graphical artifacts (although SMS will fix that with an update to the Ultra option for Envmap).

ICPEE

My appologies for jumping on you. Just getting a little tired of the mines better than yours nonsense, of late.

I lost a whole day to Forza yesterday... before I knew it the missus was moaning at me to make the dinner, I was like what? it cant be later than 3... "it's after 5.." she said.
Its all good man. I am currently busy with studies but i swear to god if i had the cash i would've splashed it on an Xbox One and Forza Horizon 2 when it launched a few weeks ago. Got caught in the hype but currently i am on a wait and see basis especially with Nvidia's new 900 series gpu's offering such amazing performance for a low price. Going to give it a few months before i decide as i will be moving overseas too in the near future.

That's fun because in the WMD forums SMS heads give me the concern troll treatment. I guess you can't try to sit in the middle. You need to take sides, act blindly to defend your thing and attack anything else.
Anytime you say DC image quality and textures are subpar, they will talk about lighting. Anytime you talk about vegetation in FH2 they will talk about open worlds. Anytime you talk about PC droplets on camera... well, I think nobody likes them lol:

Now that people are talking about wet effects. I really dislike that PC has so many puddles. It's totally unreal in a racing track. Besides, they create many graphical artifacts (although SMS will fix that with an update to the Ultra option for Envmap).
That is sometimes the case with Driveclub having scoured through Driveclub threads. Its weird though. Some Driveclub images look stunning and some look bad, not horrible but bad. Texture quality especially can be bad and whats it with the AF in this game and with the PS4.
Quite a few games (based on user feedback on here) on PS4 have crap to shitty AF and i heard it doesn't impact performance, basically its free.

Synth

Jesus christ man, Project Cars is obviously the best looking racing game ever, no one disputes that. I don't compare anything to that game, its just too fucking good looking.

I don't think you've been following this thread very closely.

MilkyJoe

Its all good man. I am currently busy with studies but i swear to god if i had the cash i would've splashed it on an Xbox One and Forza Horizon 2 when it launched a few weeks ago. Got caught in the hype but currently i am on a wait and see basis especially with Nvidia's new 900 series gpu's offering such amazing performance for a low price. Going to give it a few months before i decide as i will be moving overseas too in the near future.

I was not sur eif it was for me, then the photo thread sold it... I found a £40 GAME gift card i got a couple of Christmases ago, so i thought feck it, worth a punt... the best £4.99 I have spent in years...

I'm waiting on PC too... Thinking DDR4 is bound to hit soon.

fresquito

Quite a few games (based on user feedback on here) on PS4 have crap to shitty AF and i heard it doesn't impact performance, basically its free.
AF is certainly not free. From no AF to AFx16 you can well have a loss of 10fps (depending on the game, engine, etc.). If your target is 30fps, then you're in deep shit. You'll probably want to cut things many people don't notice such as texture quality.

I remember the time I bought my first RGB cable for the GameCube. I was really underwhelmed, I could hardly notice anything. I mean, it seemed to look a bit more defined, colors a little more in place and brighter, but you had to make an effort to notice. Then I went back to AC and my eyes started melting. I couldn't believe myself I was playing that low image quality without noticing. Similarly, most console players are used to low IQ, when they see high IQ they notice, but just slightly. But once you get used to high IQ, there's no way back, your eyes will ring big red alarms anytime you see textures with no AF or a game with no AA (much harder to notice from stills).

23qwerty

But once you get used to high IQ, there's no way back, your eyes will ring big red alarms anytime you see textures with no AF or a game with no AA (much harder to notice from stills).

Unless you're playing a racing game where AF is hardly noticeable, AA slightly less so.

KOHIPEET

Something people will ignore because it doesn't fit in their console wars: http://www.gfycat.com/FrankCostlyKomododragon

Jeez those droplet effects are laughable! (Even if the y might look realistic.)

I'm not that impressed with the graphics either. I looks odd for some reason.

EDIT: I think I know what seems odd. The headlights are reflected on the wet asphalt, but not on other cars' chassis. I think it should be reflected. (of course other games don't do this either) Aside from this, it looks good.

le-seb

(of course other games don't do this either)
DriveClub does.
i99BcyYvGV3yO.gif

Driving in cockpit view and seeing it lit dynamically by the surrounding cars' lights, lampposts and other light sources is one of the most impressive gaming experience I've ever had.
That immersion.

fresquito

Jeez those droplet effects are laughable! (Even if the y might look realistic.)

I'm not that impressed with the graphics either. I looks odd for some reason.

EDIT: I think I know what seems odd. The headlights are reflected on the wet asphalt, but not on other cars' chassis. I think it should be reflected. (of course other games don't do this either) Aside from this, it looks good.
They're not reflected in other cars, but that's something you can't see in that gif. They're not reflected at the moment, it doesn't mean the reflection will not be implemented (I'm not saying it will either, just stating the obvious: WiP, not final game). What you probably are looking for is streched light impostors not being cut by cars. From what I've read they're trying to find a solution, but will probably not find it before release.

DriveClub does.
i99BcyYvGV3yO.gif

Driving in cockpit view and seeing it lit dynamically by the surrounding cars' lights, lampposts and other light sources is one of the most impressive gaming experience I've ever had.
That immersion.
The effect is quite convincing and gives an edge on how good night racing looks. Still it's a shame other cars lights are faked. Otherwise you could say it has a really solid package.

They haven't detailed it, just mentioned that they're using full dynamic global illumination. In other words the suns positioning is dynamic, along with approximations from it, unlike other games that use GI.

Having the whole scene lighting change with the sun positions, while it's technically correct to call global illumination, people usually refer to this term when using any sort of indirect lighting with at least a single bounce... I mainly ask because if they are using it must be very subtle, I can't actually see no evidence of the effect in play.

In Forza 5, the effect is completely static, but it's very noticeable (examples: http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles/a/1/5/9/1/1/2/0/Forza_028.bmp.jpg, notice how the inner of the building is lit by the road, even though it's not directly illuminated by the sun)

Just a correction, though: many games that use GI, even the ones who use pre baked solutions do support sun position changes, it's usually dynamic geometry that gives them trouble (which is not that much of a problem as games have mostly static scenery anyway). And crytek solution is completely dynamic, it actually supports both sun position changes and dynamic geometry, though it has other limitations.

Top Bottom