• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

c0de

Are Turn 10 gonna be using a brand new engine for Forza 6?

They cut corners across the board to achieve 1080p/60 for Forza 5.

Doubtful a new engine will be used but a more refined one, for sure.
F5 was a launch game with a very bad sdk and most probably they had not enough time to polish it like they wanted, still achieved a 1080p60 racer on a console where many throughout last year doubted it wouldn't be able to achieve 1080p, leave alone with 60fps.
My guess is we will see quite a huge improvement in terms of lighting and content. Perhaps even day and night cycles and weather.
It won't be better looking than driveclub for obvious reasons, though.

eso76

irgw56RHeWAAg.gif

I think the best smoke I've seen is still the steam-engine train race in FH2. All the dust/smoke/etc in the game was a huge improvement from what had been done in Forza 5, but seeing it interact with the geometry and lighting (including its own density) was a first for me, even having played GT5/6.

ah yes.
I remember watching the vid and the race against jets and i thought "i swear, if Playground kept the smoke from cars at around the same level as Fm5/Fh1 to allow those meaty trails from jets and trains...."

VanWinkle

irgw56RHeWAAg.gif

I think the best smoke I've seen is still the steam-engine train race in FH2. All the dust/smoke/etc in the game was a huge improvement from what had been done in Forza 5, but seeing it interact with the geometry and lighting (including its own density) was a first for me, even having played GT5/6.

Looks great.

Jamesways

Doubtful a new engine will be used but a more refined one, for sure.

My guess is we will see quite a huge improvement in terms of lighting and content. Perhaps even day and night cycles and weather.
It won't be better looking than driveclub for obvious reasons, though.

I'd be quite satisfied if it had variable lighting/customizable time of day for the tracks. At least gives some well needed variation. But we'll see if their lighting engine allows that.

Oh and one meeelion tracks! Or just a very large track list compared to 5.

Gestault

Forza 4's alternative time of day was little more (if anything) than a pallette swap, surely that would take nothing more than time and disk space to add.

I really liked it for the multi heat race events in career mode, where there would be a morning race followed by a daytime heat on the same track, same grid. Just a dash of extra variety. As much as I like the idea of everything being fully dynamic, I get how unless a race is more than an hour of driving, you won't see a dramatic change in the time of day, so the priorities don't seem totally foreign to me.

All this being said, I want full day-night options for the next mainline Forza game. The time variations stretch the work that goes into each track in the first place, in a way devs and players both benefit from.

Shaneus

Very nice. But not all of that (if any) is actual footage from the game itself. This video is identical and it's just a generic motoring YT channel (with no mention of MS or Forza anywhere).

Definitely excited to see that a) there's a new GT and b) it'll be driveable in at least one racing game!

valkyre

Man Driveclub sure is a pretty game, but why is the AA so atrocious?

I honestly say that of all the PS4 games I have, Driveclub has , by far, the worst AA. It actually reminds me of PS3 jaggies.

Good news is that when it gets wet, most jaggies are masked due to the weather effects. But in a sunny day, game can look pretty rough at times.

CozMick

Banned

I honestly say that of all the PS4 games I have, Driveclub has , by far, the worst AA. It actually reminds me of PS3 jaggies.

Good news is that when it gets wet, most jaggies are masked due to the weather effects. But in a sunny day, game can look pretty rough at times.

Don't Evo use some sort of temporal AA?

Certainly looks "less jaggy" when in motion than it does in stills.

I finally got a chance to play Driveclub recently and the poor AA was the first thing I noticed. After watching so many videos online I was expecting a much cleaner image. However, once I started playing it wasn't very noticeable with the smooth frame rate and motion blur. All in all a fantastic looking game. From a pure graphics perspective the best looking racer so far this gen on consoles (in my opinion at least).

nib95

Banned
The AA has a temporal element. You can fire up a race and test it now. When stationary, certain jaggies on the edges of steering wheels, or on the ridges of lines etc, will disappear or reduce in quantity several fold the very moment you start moving. It's why the game looks mostly clean in motion compared to when stationary, or in gameplay stills. I'm sure the motion blur helps too.

On a side note, to those experiencing more jaggies, make sure the sharpness on your TV set is turned all the way down, and that you're using Cinema, THX or Movie mode instead of the often default Dynamic or Vibrant modes. These really extenuate jaggies in any game.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I finally got a chance to play Driveclub recently and the poor AA was the first thing I noticed. After watching so many videos online I was expecting a much cleaner image. However, once I started playing it wasn't very noticeable with the smooth frame rate and motion blur. All in all a fantastic looking game. From a pure graphics perspective the best looking racer so far this gen on consoles (in my opinion at least).

It must be your TV bruh. I barely notice any jaggies in DC.

The AA has a temporal element. You can fire up a race and test it now. When stationary, certain jaggies on the edges of steering wheels, or on the ridges of lines etc, will disappear or reduce in quantity several fold the very moment you start moving. It's why the game looks mostly clean in motion compared to when stationary, or in gameplay stills. I'm sure the motion blur helps too.

On a side note, to those experiencing more jaggies, make sure the sharpness on your TV set is turned all the way down, and that you're using Cinema, THX or Movie mode instead of the often default Dynamic or Vibrant modes. These really extenuate jaggies in any game.

Not a great thing to say as all TV's are different. If you set my Bravia W900A to 0 sharpness it becomes a blurry mess, but if you leave it at the default of 50 it looks great.

valkyre

Very interesting, will have to check this out. Although while in motion I often see some lamp posts on the street appear way too jagged , depending on the lighting conditions ofcourse.

PS: My sharpness is always low setting, but never 0. It becomes way too blurry. (Panasonic Plasma - using professional customized profile)

Anybody else have the feeling that GT7 is going to blow our minds?

What they were doing at the end of last gen was really stretching the boundaries of PS3's ability. Got a feeling PD is going to unwrap something truly magical whenever they finally release. I just hope they don't go down the rushed/prologue model again.

Just give us the full fledged title and blow us away.

valkyre

Anybody else have the feeling that GT7 is going to blow our minds?

What they were doing at the end of last gen was really stretching the boundaries of PS3's ability. Got a feeling PD is going to unwrap something truly magical whenever they finally release. I just hope they don't go down the rushed/prologue model again.

Just give us the full fledged title and blow us away.

I have high hopes for GT7, but honestly the GT formula needs major revamping imho. Granted I havent played GT6 but from the comments I hear it still pretty much follows the same concept and structure that we got in 1995.

So, while I am in desperate need of GT, it needs to be overhauled in many ways.

Jamesways

I have high hopes for GT7, but honestly the GT formula needs major revamping imho. Granted I havent played GT6 but from the comments I hear it still pretty much follows the same concept and structure that we got in 1995.

So, while I am in desperate need of GT, it needs to be overhauled in many ways.

We're not seeing GT7 this year, no news of a 2016 release yet, it may just come out the same year as FM7 given FM's 2 year cycle.

That'll be a fun head to head in this thread.

le-seb

We're not seeing GT7 this year, no news of a 2016 release yet, it may just come out the same year as FM7 given FM's 2 year cycle.

That'll be a fun head to head in this thread.
Well, this already happened with FM5/GT6.
Had we news or even hints that GT6 would be releasing in 2013 before may 2013 announcement?
As far as I can remember, people were kind of shocked at this coming out from nowhere announcement.

Synth

It must be your TV bruh. I barely notice any jaggies in DC.

Never understood all the "it's your TV!" comments anytime somebody makes an image quality complaint. I've had my TV since 2009, I'm pretty sure I'd know if it was responsible for IQ issues, seeing as I've played every other game since then on it too.

DriveClub does have some jaggies but I wouldn't say it's that bad. Is your Tv calibrated right? Maybe lower sharpness and check to see if your image isn't being overscanned. Look at the PS4's display area settings and make sure the white lines are matched with the corners.

Never understood all the "it's your TV!" comments anytime somebody makes an image quality complaint. I've had my TV since 2009, I'm pretty sure I'd know if it was responsible for IQ issues, seeing as I've played every other game since then on it too.

This sentiment isn't really accurate. If you don't know any better, and you assume everything is ok, then you wouldn't realize the problem exists in the first place.

I made two tv related threads, regarding RGB settings and Overscanning/Incorrect 16:9 aspect ratio, you don't know how many gaffers had it improperly set up without even knowing any better.

Synth

This sentiment isn't really accurate. If you don't know any better, and you assume everything is ok, then you wouldn't realize the problem exists in the first place.

I made two tv related threads, regarding RGB settings and Overscanning/Incorrect 16:9 aspect ratio, you don't know how many gaffers had it improperly set up without even knowing any better.

Yea, but if for some reason I was unable to notice the problem existed, it's pretty unlikely that one day I stick in Driveclub and would suddenly be like "hang on... something's not right here", whilst not having any problem with anything else. When people say that they find Driveclub to be jaggy, it's in comparison to all the other stuff they're viewing on the same set. It's far more likely for someone that doesn't notice any issues at all to actually have suspect settings (maybe they're destroying everything equally).

Noobcraft

Regarding Driveclub's image quality, I took a picture before and after post processing in photo mode. It's kind of a worst case but it shows there is room for improvement in the image quality department in Driveclub.
Before Post Processing:
driveclub_201501031101ou9k.jpg

After Post Processing:
driveclub_20150103110tzu89.jpg

Also realize those are stills with no motion blur applied, in a racing game with motion blur.

Kolgar

I feel like a lot of people don't give Horizon 2 enough credit. It is a beautiful game.

You are right. For my money, it really is the best-looking racer out right now, and the fact that it's open-world makes it all the more impressive.

I have both Horizon 2 and Driveclub, and for the life of me, I just don't see what others see in that game. The cars look excellent, and I've not seen better raindrops anywhere, but the overall impression comes nowhere close to the compressed gifs I see on GAF. Some of the textures, trees, and vegetation are particularly appalling and immersion-breaking.

I feel like I must be missing something.

VanWinkle

I feel like a lot of people don't give Horizon 2 enough credit. It is a beautiful game.
GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

Its a pretty good looking game. The best thing about it is the fantastic image quality. I just never find myself very impressed by its visuals like I so often do with Driveclub.

You are right. For my money, it really is the best-looking racer out right now, and the fact that it's open-world makes it all the more impressive.

I have both Horizon 2 and Driveclub, and for the life of me, I just don't see what others see in that game. The cars look excellent, and I've not seen better raindrops anywhere, but the overall impression comes nowhere close to the compressed gifs I see on GAF. Some of the textures, trees, and vegetation are particularly appalling and immersion-breaking.

Nah you're just not caught up in the hype. I still think it's the most impressive racer out there though but the IQ and some textures aren't the best.

benzy

The only jaggies in DC that's ever been really noticeable to me are on the cars under certain lighting conditions. I mostly play cockpit and bumper cam so I rarely ever see jaggies; I think Evo's multi-AA solution works pretty well. If they had to choose between better AA or better AF/texture filtering for their next game before getting a performance hit, I'd much rather they choose the latter considering the image quality is already pretty nice when you're racing.

You can see how much cleaner DC looks in motion here. Check the railing over the bridge, the wooden fences before it, and the white sideline of the road.

ouwppf.jpg

bmxwdy.jpg

More gameplay grabs

saativ.jpg

vymatx.jpg

phwsnz.jpg

citlew.jpg

vryybv.jpg

dezurf.jpg

emayxx.jpg

rmmpjy.jpg

twxefj.jpg

fjroed.jpg

rlaebm.jpg

casgtt.jpg

kytsuq.jpg

True, a lot of people probably have settings that make things worse. But i do agree i'd love the iq a bit better in Driveclub. It would just make the game perfect.
Especially in third person view you can see jaggies. Even on normal viewing distance.

Some more DC vegetation.
I was just floored when i stumbled across this screenshot by benzy

iilqwk.jpg

Had to check this out for my self and it's indeed from DC( japan track)

OdDXp68.gif

Goddamn. I don't think I've ever seen better vegetation in a racer before.

Nah you're just not caught up in the hype. I still think it's the most impressive racer out there though but the IQ and some textures aren't the best.

It's nothing to do with the hype for me. I play the game everyday, the hype settled down a while ago. I think it's the best looking racer because of the way it looks to my eyes, not because of hype. ;)

This is strange to me because I was more impressed with what I was seeing on my TV when I finally bought the game than I was when seeing all of the GIFs and YT videos beforehand. The only positive of GIFs is that they hide some of the jaggies, apart from that, everything looks so much better in-game on my own TV.

I have both Horizon 2 and Driveclub, and for the life of me, I just don't see what others see in that game. The cars look excellent, and I've not seen better raindrops anywhere, but the overall impression comes nowhere close to the compressed gifs I see on GAF. Some of the textures, trees, and vegetation are particularly appalling and immersion-breaking.*

GetPhoto.ashx

FH2 trees do look fantastic in this shot.

Had to check this out for my self and it's indeed from DC( japan track)

OdDXp68.gif

lol

Noobcraft has been doing his 'rubbish DC shot VS Quality FH2 shot for weeks.'

It's nothing to do with the hype for me. I play the game everyday, the hype settled down a while ago. I think it's the best looking racer because of the way it looks to my eyes, not because of hype. ;)

I mean more of how there seems to be absolutely no criticism of the graphics allowed otherwise you'll get bombarded with insults or questions of HAVE YOU PLAYED IT? (not talking about this thread BTW). Just my personal experience :p I too think it's the best looking racer out there ATM.

Don't forget that GT7 needs to have a rock solid 60FPS, while DC is 30.

GT5 and GT6 needed to have a rock solid 60fps as well :/

Top Bottom