• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Nintendo Switch May Feature DLSS 2.0 Support, Job Ad Suggests

Raploz

According to WCCFTECH:

The successor of the popular Nintendo Switch console could be coming with NVIDIA DLSS 2.0 support, judging from a recent job ad.

According to this new ad, NVIDIA is looking for a Senior Embedded Software Engineer for the Tegra solutions Engineering team to work on "next-generation graphics & AI technologies for gaming consoles and AI edge devices." This new engineer will work on "solutions to use artificial intelligence in graphics technologies like NVIDIA's DLSS 2.0"

Here's some interesting parts of the job AD:

We are now hiring a Senior Embedded Software Engineer for the Tegra solutions Engineering team to work on next generation graphics & AI technologies for gaming consoles and AI edge devices

What You’ll Be Doing
Collaborate with software engineers, architecture teams to craft, develop, test and optimize graphics stacks like Vulkan, OpenGL and other proprietary graphics APIs [Maybe Switch's NVN API?]
Collaborate and maintain foundational software technologies for the graphics APIs - like resource management, process scheduling and hardware scheduling
Engage directly with customers and support teams to develop and improve their world-class products
Work on solutions to use artificial intelligence in graphics technologies like Nvidia's DLSS 2.0
Take part in Performance optimization of various SW components of the Tegra graphics and system software stack

---------------

What do you guys think?

I think using DLSS would be a great way to improve performance and graphics while keeping the hardware cheap.

Kuranghi

I think it would be fantastic, the way currently DLSS works means you would avoid most of the downsides in this case because Switch games often have more of a focus on solid colour than texture. Would be super good.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Only makes sense. I was hoping they would go for a test run on a Switch pro to bridge the gap and then come out with Switch 2 with RT and DLSS 3.0 on some beefy Tenzor cores.

DF actually talked about this a while ago when they were talking about Nvidia Shield having AI upscaling for video/movies. How the tech could maybe used in a future Switch or Switch revision.

Raploz

Only makes sense. I was hoping they would go for a test run on a Switch pro to bridge the gap and then come out with Switch 2 with RT and DLSS 3.0 on some beefy Tenzor cores.

DF actually talked about this a while ago when they were talking about Nvidia Shield having AI upscaling for video/movies. How the tech could maybe used in a future Switch or Switch revision.

If the Switch successor is also a portable console I don't think it would support raytracing. Mobile hardware have to deal with power constraints and wasting silicon with raytracing cores doesn't seem like a good ideia.

Quasicat

Makes sense since they often refer to Shield TV as a console and it is basically the guts of the Switch. I would love a big upgrade as the Shield is an awesome Plex server and this would just improve it.

cryptoadam

Banned
If the Switch successor is also a portable console I don't think it would support raytracing. Mobile hardware have to deal with power constraints and wasting silicon with raytracing cores doesn't seem like a good ideia.

I am wondering though with DLSS would they be able to do it? Maybe even make RT only in docked mode?

Skyr

It would be madness if they wouldn't go for it.

Makes me actually excited for the next switch. Imagine graphics of a equvalent of PS4 on a handheld device.

It will be interesting to see how DLSS can scale down to a portable device like the switch, and if so, what kind of performance gains it can provide at that level.

Potentially a total game changer for a device like the Switch, hopefully enabling third party releases to remain possible once we cross into next gen.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
can't wait for yoshi's island DLSS

Ue2DAXHEql7NmspPoqtn_vGAvizWxMGgSkK8DQO5h9U.png

SO SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF

smw_mario_yoshi_ours_8x.png

SO REALLLLL

Last edited:

sn0man

can't wait for yoshi's island DLSS

Ue2DAXHEql7NmspPoqtn_vGAvizWxMGgSkK8DQO5h9U.png

SO SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF

smw_mario_yoshi_ours_8x.png

SO REALLLLL
Thank goodness we have a voice of reason here. If it was an OS-level toggle or a game-level toggle e.g., for 3d games, then sure. Systemwide all the time. No thanks.

Zannegan

This is what I want to hear, especially for their next gen handheld. It could even make raytracing feasible, on a handheld.

Rikkori

Ray tracing scales linearly with resolution, so it might actually end up being cheaper to properly RT the game than rely solely on rasterisation. I wouldn't discount it, especially if they add DLSS. 540p -> 1080p, that would be super cheap to do.

jigglet

Banned
With DLSS 2.0 type tech, just think about how cheap Nintendo will be able to get with tech in the future. $99 micro version of a future switch?

It allows them to either go ham on price, or direct the money elsewhere e.g. better quality parts. This is perfect tech for them.

Shifty1897

If Nintendo announced the Switch Pro would use DLSS and patches to make every first party title and some third party titles at least 1080p, I'd preorder it immediately. I'm more excited about Nintendo's next console than I am about the PS5.

lestar

If nvidia had continue iterating Tegra chipsets is a no brainer to have today a Tegra with Tensor and RTX cores, so it's a posibility to have a next switch with those features.

Kazza

By the time Switch 2 becomes a thing, 4K TVs will probably be in the majority (or a large minority at least). playing 720p-1080p may seem a bit archaic, even to Nintendo fans.

ZywyPL

Banned
Imagine going from 1080p (handheld) to 4K (docked), that would be dope.

But you can use less CUs to do the shadows, lightning, reflections etc. since those would be done on the RT cores.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Imagine going from 1080p (handheld) to 4K (docked), that would be dope.

But you can use less CUs to do the shadows, lightning, reflections etc. since those would be done on the RT cores.

Part of the computation is done on the RT cores with is essentially casting the rays and finding intersections: the actual shading and processing of shadows still needs to be done on the CU cores.

Dampf

:messenger_tears_of_joy: imagine switch games being clearer than ps5 "pie_tears_joy:

That could actually happen!

With DLSS, Switch 2 only needs about 3 TFLOPs raw performance maybe a little more or less depending on Ampere efficiency compared to RDNA2 to render a next gen running at native 4K on Xbox Series X (12 TFLOPs) and 1800p on PS5 (10 TFLOPS) with DLSS Performance at 4K (1080p). If a next gen game running at 4K native needs 12 TFLOPs of RDNA2 compute power, then you need only 3 TFLOPs at 1080p, because 4K is 4 times the resolution and therefore needs around 4 times the render performance of 1080p. And DLSS costs are very little thanks to tensor cores. Ampere tensor cores are also much more efficient than Turing's, so you could pack less of then in that small die size compared to a 2060.

On handheld mode, you only need 750 GFLOPs to feed a 1080p display thanks to DLSS Performance (540p). It scales too perfectly.

If Nintendo builds a Switch 2 based on a high core count 5nm ARM CPU, 7nm or better Ampere, enough RAM and atleast 1 GB/s storage, a Switch 2 could actually compete with the next gen consoles and release for a relatively cheap price in 2022.

In 2022, 5nm ARM CPUs and 7nm Ampere are 2 year old technologies (just like the Tegra X1 was in 2017). You could also build a custom SOC entirely made in 5nm process (that's what I would recommend Nvidia and Nintendo to do. In 2022 5nm process should be cheap.)

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
The Switch will benefit A L O T from DLSS 2.0

I was skeptical about DLSS because 1.0 was so bad but 2.0? God damn! It changed the game!

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The Switch will benefit A L O T from DLSS 2.0

I was skeptical about DLSS because 1.0 was so bad but 2.0? God damn! It changed the game!
i would agree but man new? DLSS looks ROUGH in mingecraft

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Makes me actually excited for the next switch. Imagine graphics of a equvalent of PS4 on a handheld device.

Would be fucking incredible.

Nintendo with that tech would be mind blowing. Lookit what they did with Mario Kart 8 and Smash Ultimate.

sn0man

I kind of prefer a more pristine but aliased look in many Nintendo games. With their art style a solid 1080p image is good enough.

Top Bottom