• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

irpMM33GQWnk9.png

• Android Prism
    “The affordable price point is a fantastic low barrier of entry to the high end smart phone world, and gives many people (sorry, Verizon customers) the opportunity to remove the shackles of a contract and move to a product line that will receive great software support for two years, all the while never feeling obsolete in the face of newer competing device releases in that time frame. You’re also going to be at the cutting edge of the android experience as Google would see it; and if Jellybean was any indication, you’re only going to see Kit Kat perform and function even better as time moves on.”

• Ars Technica
    “Price is what really sets the Nexus 5 apart—you're getting the same internals as every other flagship, but at half the cost. Couple that with minimalistic good looks, decent build quality, and the latest version of Android, and you've got a real winner. The two things you're really sacrificing to get to that low price are the battery life and the camera. Fixing the battery isn't rocket science—they needed to include a bigger one—but Google needs to take a long, hard look at what it's doing with its cameras. If Google wants to build all of these products around pictures, they should figure out how to ship a smartphone with a world-class camera, even if that means raising the price a bit.”

• Engadget
    “A phone like the Nexus 5 would get our blessing even at a higher price, but the fact that you can buy it for as low as $350 makes it that much sweeter. We can't point our finger at any one feature that was clearly the victim of cost-cutting, with battery life being the only possible exception. And even that's somewhat of an improvement over last year's Nexus 4. We love the high-res display, overall performance and the enhancements brought to us by Android KitKat. Most of the problems we saw in the Nexus 4 have been addressed here. All told, we can think of very few things we find fault with.”

• Gizmodo
    “We'll let the question of the Moto X loom in the air, but we'd definitely take the Nexus 5 over the HTC One or Galaxy S4 or Droid Maxx. If you're into specs or if you're an Android purist, then this is definitely the phone for you.”

• The Verge
    “The Nexus 5 is an excellent phone in many ways. It's solidly built and feels great to use. It's got serious processing power which means it can handle pretty much anything you throw at it. The phone has an absolutely gorgeous display. The KitKat update is polished and refined, and cements my belief that not only is Android leading the charge in mobile OSs from a functionality and user interface standpoint, but from a design standpoint as well. The battery life, while not perfect, appears to be good enough to get you through a day of work — which is certainly on par with its competition.”

iBsRbEppPIdpF.png

ibfzPFEQCxDAkV.png

     

     

i436gmzo5FYfU.png

• Operating System
    Android 4.4 KitKat

• Screen
    4.95-inches, 1920 × 1080 (445 PPI)

• Camera
    Front: 1.3 Megapixels
    Back: 8.0 Megapixels (with Optical Image Stabilization)

• CPU
    Qualcomm Snapdragon 800, 2.3GHz

• GPU
    Adreno 330, 450MHz

• RAM
    2 GB

• Network
    GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
    LTE: 1/2/4/5/17/19/25/26/41

• Wireless
    802.11ac, NFC, Bluetooth 4.0

• Battery
    2300 mAh (with Wireless Charging)

ibs6PAVpVUgNG8.png

 

 

 

iNIETT9RgPVPh.png

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I feel like the OP is optimized for mobile viewing.

Looking to pick up a Nexus 5 after my trip. Need to upgrade this Nexus One sometime.

rrs

Nice OT, nice phone. Totally buying one once I bail out of Virgin Mobile for some not awful GSM pre-paid carrier.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I feel like the OP is optimized for mobile viewing.

Since around the start of the year I've been paying special attention to making sure my OT's work on not only on mobile, but also with both themes (I personally use the dark one.)

Wag

As I said in the other topic, mine is one of the many that is sceduled to ship on Nov 8th. I wonder if they'll get enough to keep to that schedule?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Since around the start of the year I've been paying special attention to making sure my OT's work on not only on mobile, but also with both themes (I personally use the dark one.)

Andrex you make the best OPs.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Is there any reason for no Verizon?

Because of the technology running their voice/3G networks, Verizon has to approve every phone that goes on its network (their LTE is supposed to be open, but the recent Nexus 7 ran into trouble there.) Because of this, and because they're the biggest carrier in America, they usually dictate that all phones come preloaded with some of their bloatware before being approved. In addition, all OS updates must go through Verizon's certifications process, which can slow them down by as much as 2-3 months.

This obviously conflicts with Google's ambitions for its Nexus line, so they're not playing ball. Apple is currently the only phone maker with enough chutzpah to make Verizon stand down on these things, and even that took a few years.

Joco

According to the UPS tracker I should be getting mine either tomorrow or Thursday. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

headshot95

Neo Member
Because of the technology running their voice/3G networks, Verizon has to approve every phone that goes on its network (their LTE is supposed to be open, but the recent Nexus 7 ran into trouble there.) Because of this, and because they're the biggest carrier in America, they usually dictate that all phones come preloaded with some of their bloatware before being approved. In addition, all OS updates must go through Verizon's certifications process, which can slow them down by as much as 2-3 months.

This obviously conflicts with Google's ambitions for its Nexus line, so they're not playing ball. Apple is currently the only phone maker with enough chutzpah to make Verizon stand down on these things, and even that took a few years.

I see. Thanks for the answer, even if it crushed me.

Akira

This is going to be my first Android phone. It just looks more polished than before. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait another 2-3 weeks before mine arrives. :(

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Should have been Nexu5.

Husker86

2-3 weeks for mine. Galaxy S4 is on Craigslist now. Using iPhone 5s in the meantime...I have a Nexus 4 but ehhh...

I said it before but I mean it this time, I am Nexus only from now on.

injurai

Banned
So I'm on a Verizon family share plan. How much would it cost per month if I moved onto my own contract on one of these networks?

elty

How come they can't make a real white phone (front and back), instead of panda color (half white half black)>??

Husker86

So I'm on a Verizon family share plan. How much would it cost per month if I moved onto my own contract on one of these networks?

T-Mobile has $30/month plan (100 minutes, unlimited messaging/data)

A lot of MVNOs use AT&T network if T-Mobile won't work for you. Anywhere from $45-70/month.

Or you could go postpaid AT&T and pay $85-???/month depending on data needs. The only reason I would suggest this is if you buy an iPhone on contract and immediately sell it. Otherwise go prepaid (Straight Talk, Aio, Net10, etc.)

Drpunch

Neo Member
Considering upgrading from my Nexus 4, but I'm waiting on how the battery is. Seems inconsistent so far, so I'm sure after a month or so people will get a better idea. The camera, how "mediocre" people keep saying it is seems like an upgrade and LTE would be nice. The screen seems gorgeous too.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
How come they can't make a real white phone (front and back), instead of panda color (half white half black)>??

Because you need a light OS to do that. Only iOS7 works like that. All white iOS devices were ridiculous looking until iOS7.

socialQ

Banned
The one place it falls a bit short is in low-light. It isn't awful, but it isn't great either, and it really struggled to find focus. Also, the camera app itself has gotten slower from the version in 4.3 (slower to find focus and/or bring up the menu), which definitely shouldn't be the case, given the superhero processor inside. Also, it seems extremely limited given the phone's power. Why not the option to shoot 1080p at 60fps or 720p at 120fps for buttery super slow motion?

well, I'm out I think. :/

Kanyon

Mine's currently sitting in Sydney earmarked for a Friday 8/11/2013 delivery to me in Brisbane... Gadzooks I still get excited for Nexus products! (Owned an N1, GNex and N4).

Just got mine today.

First impressions.

1) Damn this thing is quick
2) Screen is really washed out. I was wowed when I first saw a gs4 screen. Honestly I prefer my g-nex screen to this.

Bboy AJ

The N4 screen is washed out. Thankfully, Franco kernel solved that issue right away. I hope it exists for the N5. I'm sure it will.

Banjo

Anyone knows when is this coming to Amazon ?
Because the Play Store is not avaliable in my country, and Amazon is the only option I have to buy it :/

injurai

Banned
T-Mobile has $30/month plan (100 minutes, unlimited messaging/data)

A lot of MVNOs use AT&T network if T-Mobile won't work for you. Anywhere from $45-70/month.

Or you could go postpaid AT&T and pay $85-???/month depending on data needs. The only reason I would suggest this is if you buy an iPhone on contract and immediately sell it. Otherwise go prepaid (Straight Talk, Aio, Net10, etc.)

T-Mobile seems like the only logical move for someone like me. Though I really don't know how good their network is. Seems like it would be best to just pass once again on this round of Nexus phones.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Because you need a light OS to do that. Only iOS7 works like that. All white iOS devices were ridiculous looking until iOS7.

You are literally the only person on earth who cares about this or even thinks it matters, lol.

Top Bottom