• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFC confirmed for Smash Bros for Wii U

This would be an awesome way to institute later DLC.

I actually have been predicting that Nintendo make a Skylanders-style adventure game for years now (and not something dumb like that Pokemon game). Not only would it make bookoo, but it'd probably be ridiculously fun to play.

Spiderduff

So I posted this in the Smash thread, but what if the figures Sakurai was holding in the direct are the NFC figures? Didnt they say hints were in the direct?

one_kill

If you rewatch the direct, he shows off a few figures through the direct. Some are pretty big. Its just a theory but it could be something or it could be nothing.
It's nothing imo. Sakurai's a big collector of toys. I'm pretty sure some of them were Figma figures. I haven't rewatched the Direct so I'm not sure.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Sorry for the bump, but I've seen that Nintendo UK denied this NoFrance info:

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...-wii-u-will-reportedly-support-nfc-figurines/

"On 8th May 2014, Mr Iwata announced the decision for Nintendo to release character figurines with built-in NFC functionality that are compatible with video games starting from this year-end sales season. There has, however, not been any specific announcements regarding which software titles for Nintendo platforms will use this functionality. We have no other announcements to make at this time."

So, it is just a "formal" denial but we still can imagine that there will be some NPF integration in the Wii U version of the game, right?

And about that: do you think that they will be somehow linked to the "Wii U dedicated modes" yet to be unveiled (compared to the Smash Run Mode for 3DS)?

And once again: do you think that they could release some Limited Edition Smash Bros Wii U version at retail, following the Zelda WW HD and Mario Kart 8 example, maybe letting you choose among different "characters" edition?

A "Link" edition
link_3.jpg

A "Mario" edition

A "Greninjia" edition

Tom_Cody

Sorry for the bump, but I've seen that Nintendo UK denied this NoFrance info:

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...-wii-u-will-reportedly-support-nfc-figurines/

"On 8th May 2014, Mr Iwata announced the decision for Nintendo to release character figurines with built-in NFC functionality that are compatible with video games starting from this year-end sales season. There has, however, not been any specific announcements regarding which software titles for Nintendo platforms will use this functionality. We have no other announcements to make at this time."

So, it is just a "formal" denial but we still can imagine that there will be some NPF integration in the Wii U version of the game, right?
Thanks for this.

I'm still fully expecting it. I think it's just the case that a PR person said a few words too many when trying to be coy in an interview. I expect the full announcement at E3 carry a lot more fanfare.

And about that: do you think that they will be somehow linked to the "Wii U dedicated modes" yet to be unveiled (compared to the Smash Run Mode for 3DS)?
Yes. It will interesting to see what form this takes.

And once again: do you think that they could release some Limited Edition Smash Bros Wii U version at retail, following the Zelda WW HD and Mario Kart 8 example, maybe letting you choose among different "characters" edition?

A "Link" edition

A "Mario" edition

A "Greninjia" edition
I am one of many who has speculated about this. The collector's edition statues that they released in the last year are probably a good preview of what the NFP figures will end up being, both in form and execution.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Thanks for this.

I'm still fully expecting it. I think it's just the case that a PR person said a few words too many when trying to be coy in an interview. I expect the full announcement at E3 carry a lot more fanfare.

Yes. It will interesting to see what form this takes.

I am one of many who has speculated about this. The collector's edition statues that they released in the last year are probably a good preview of what the NFP figures will end up being, both in form and execution.

good...
not in size I think. those are way too big ;p

Tom_Cody

good...
not in size I think. those are way too big ;p
Ok, yeah. I guess the Pokemon Rumble NFC figures are tiny. I'm just hoping we get a similar level of detail the Gannondorf statue. If they can deliver on that, I will buy all of them.

Also, AFAIK there would be no technological reason that they wouldn't be able to include NFC chips in future larger statues or Figma figures, even if they aren't part of the main NPF line.

Top Bottom