• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Week 8 |OT| - Plays of the Week

bionic77

Tried playing Steam games through my Nvidia Shield Tablet last night. It worked fine but some people like Eleuin and the NFL GAF group chat got weird messages from me like:

j5Jb2WO.png

Seems odd considering I'm just sitting in the other room with a controller and the tablet.
What is be battery life of that when you blast it with a bad ass game?

The Nintendo thing is basically a rebranded shield.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Seems like those messages maintain the quality of your posts in here.

2nd to last line 'blondefemales' fits

67182051cada76d747e885bb961f01411724b2be6ac3f376f9df6915484a880d_1.gif

What is be battery life of that when you blast it with a bad ass game?

The Nintendo thing is basically a rebranded shield.

It's kinda shit like 4-6 hours or so. It's really just streaming the games off my PC's hardware but to the point where it's annoying. What I mean is that it doesn't seem like it buffers and stores the game in local memory on the tablet because even my Genesis ROMs from Steam will lag which is crazy. At least with the Wii U and a questionable connection from here to the bedroom, virtual console titles don't have connection issues because I think they load fully into memory on the tablet.

Kinda like Steamlink (which I also have and is equally as shit), supposedly none of this tech works very well unless it's all hardwired...which makes it a lot more useless. Really my Steamlink is just an elaborate dual monitor display when I want to switch to my 55" tv right next to me.

I'm guessing the Switch tablet is actually the console itself with games running off local storage like an SD card. Therefore those problems shouldn't exist like they do with streaming PC games elsewhere.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
yeah, but can we really trust Anderson?!

Might have injured something else and he's looking for a second opinion. Hence he's not "done for the year" in his mind.

Or he told people he was done for the year before the official diagnosis.

MechDX

Just got reminded about this play from Thanksgiving 2012

Forsett_original_original.gif

RB was down but no whistle and he ran the ball in for a TD. Play wasnt reversed because Jim Schwartz threw the challenge flag and that negated any reversal due to it being a scoring play which is automatically reviewed. Throwing the flag was "Unsportsmanlike Conduct" at that time.

That RB is Justin Forsett who now plays for Detroit

jmdajr

Just got reminded about this play from Thanksgiving 2012

Forsett_original_original.gif

RB was down but no whistle and he ran the ball in for a TD. Play wasnt reversed because Jim Schwartz threw the challenge flag and that negated any reversal due to it being a scoring play which is automatically reviewed. Throwing the flag was "Unsportsmanlike Conduct" at that time.

That RB is Justin Forsett who now plays for Detroit

Heh.

redit: I nabbed booker in most of my leagues. Maybe it will pay off.

lol... Bills Warn Patriots they won't be disrespected again.

If you didn't see the pregame, 3 Bills players went over and started shoving Jacoby Brisset, unprovoked, before the last Bills/Patriots game. The players were fined for it. And, in typical Rex fashion, it's "they disrespected us!"

Rex is such a clown.

Bills definitely showed up and Patriots were barely in the building for that Week 4 game... But now, 4 weeks later, if Rex psyches out his team like he normally does, and Bills put up a stinker like they did against the hapless Dolphins, Patriots effectively lock up the AFC East in week 8.

Honestly I hope that happened.

I also hope he gets whatever family drama is allegedly happening straightened out if that's what's bothering him.

I was really surprised to see how poor his relationship was with his brother. If I had a rich brother I would be kissing up to him like crazy.

bionic77

It's kinda shit like 4-6 hours or so. It's really just streaming the games off my PC's hardware but to the point where it's annoying. What I mean is that it doesn't seem like it buffers and stores the game in local memory on the tablet because even my Genesis ROMs from Steam will lag which is crazy. At least with the Wii U and a questionable connection from here to the bedroom, virtual console titles don't have connection issues because I think they load fully into memory on the tablet.

Kinda like Steamlink (which I also have and is equally as shit), supposedly none of this tech works very well unless it's all hardwired...which makes it a lot more useless. Really my Steamlink is just an elaborate dual monitor display when I want to switch to my 55" tv right next to me.

I'm guessing the Switch tablet is actually the console itself with games running off local storage like an SD card. Therefore those problems shouldn't exist like they do with streaming PC games elsewhere.
4-6 hours is shit compared to the DS and prior Nintendo handhelds, but considering the hardware inside the Switch that would be pretty damn good if they could get 4-6 hours of battery out of it. More is always better but to get more you need a bigger battery and I would rather they just get it as close to 200 as possible.

Hopefully you can just hook up a USB brick to it if you needed more juice.

Hindl

My parents were never too supportive of the hobby until the 360/PS3 generation. I saved up for a Gamecube and had a PC, so I couldn't get the PS2. Only really played PS2 games through emulators and friend's houses

Edit: Actually I did have a ps2 but only got to play gta3 on it before it broke and never replaced it

I only had a PS2 for like the first year. I had 3 break in one year so I finally gave up and went full Xbox. Out of all the electronics that I have owned in my life PS2 was the worst built. I technically had my Xbox 360's break, but that was over a longer time and MS was great about fixing them, whereas Sony was terrible about fixing PS2's.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

It comes down to how much power the host PC has and how fast your network speed is. Steam in-home streaming basically just converts the display output of your PC to a video stream, so your CPU and GPU are doing extra work in encoding all that on top of running the game at whatever graphics settings you have.

With enough PC horsepower and a fast enough network (wireless is still doable if you have a fast 8011.2ac wifi network setup, but I'd still have the host PC hardwired to the router for this), you shouldn't see too much lag at even the highest quality stream settings. I can stream something like NBA2K at the highest settings from my PC in the bedroom to my Surface Pro downstairs hooked up to my media setup and play at 1080p pretty well.

Aside from upgrading equipment, the only other option you'd have for dealing with lag is to lower quality settings of both the host stream stuff in Steam options as well as the in-game settings of whatever you're playing.

I still have my original PS2 and she's still kicking. My PS3 however...I'm on my 3rd or 4th one...I can't remember.

Bizarre my launch PS3 still works great. My launch PS1 needed to be flipped over to get it to read a disk but it still lasted the whole gen. My slim PSP still works great as well. PS2 was the only one that I had problems with, outside of my PS4 not ejecting disks when I push the eject button, but it has done that since day one and I just have to try a few times and it will finally do it.

bionic77

I only had a PS2 for like the first year. I had 3 break in one year so I finally gave up and went full Xbox. Out of all the electronics that I have owned in my life PS2 was the worst built. I technically had my Xbox 360's break, but that was over a longer time and MS was great about fixing them, whereas Sony was terrible about fixing PS2's.
I don't think most people care about reliability of consoles or customer service otherwise Nintendo would be number one in the charts.

Most people breathe through their mouth (if you are unfamiliar with this concept ask Floyd and he will demonstrate as he has been doing it his entire life) and just want the cheapest box possible to play Madden and Call of Duty (see NPD charts to confirm this theory).

Bizarre my launch PS3 still works great. My launch PS1 needed to be flipped over to get it to read a disk but it still lasted the whole gen. My slim PSP still works great as well. PS2 was the only one that I had problems with, outside of my PS4 not ejecting disks when I push the eject button, but it has done that since day one and I just have to try a few times and it will finally do it.

Yeah the only Sony hardware that has failed on me has been the PS3, I never owned an OG PS1 but my slim PS1, OG PSP, OG PSVita, launch PS2 and PS4 all still work flawlessly, even my various Sony walkmans and CD players all worked perfectly. In fact my original NES, SNES and Saturn still work too. I just had bad luck with the PS3 I guess.

This explains so much.

Top Bottom