• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Chargers players finding tough time to rent in Irvine, CA

Tripon

http://theundefeated.com/features/c...-black-teammates-trouble-renting-los-angeles/

There’s a lot these days that brings joy to Mebane, the 6-foot-1, 311-pound starting defensive tackle for the Los Angeles Chargers, who opened training camp this past weekend in Costa Mesa.

He’s entering his 11th season — and the second of a three-year contract with the Chargers that pays him $13.5 million. He’s in tremendous shape after a summer where he trained with future Hall of Famer Dwight Freeney and adopted a plant-based diet. And with the NFL’s return to Los Angeles (first the Rams, now the Chargers) after an absence of more than two decades, Mebane gets a chance to play a short distance away from the Crenshaw neighborhood where he was raised.

Standing in front of his rented home in Irvine, Mebane reaches out and embraces his wife, Amena, who’s nearly swallowed by his massive arms.

Amena glances into her husband’s eyes. With two beautiful young children sleeping inside, the Mebanes appear to be the type of family you’d embrace as your neighbors.

But Irvine, located in Orange County, didn’t exactly welcome the Mebane family with open arms.

The Chargers announced in January that the team would be moving to Los Angeles, eventually sharing a stadium with the Rams in 2020. With three years until they could play in their permanent home, the Chargers decided to house their training facility and team headquarters in Costa Mesa, a city just off the 405 Freeway and not far from Newport Beach.

That left Mebane and his fellow players scrambling to find housing. Many of the Chargers settled on Irvine, a short drive to Costa Mesa and an affluent city (the median household income between 2006 and 2010 was $90,939, according to the U.S. Census) made up of dozens of planned communities.

“Nice houses, lots of parks for my kids to play in,” Mebane said. “It just seemed like the right place, and it was convenient.”

The Asian population in Irvine last year increased to 45 percent, surpassing whites for the first time and making the city “the largest city in the continental United States with an Asian plurality.”

Black residents of Irvine? They’re virtually nonexistent. Yet, even if Mebane had known the African-American population in Irvine was 1.8 percent, he wouldn’t have been concerned. He was a football player with multiple multimillion-dollar contracts behind him.

“For us,” Mebane said, “it was just find the right place where we would be comfortable.”

The signs that renting a home in Irvine could be a problem came early.

Mebane’s Realtor took him and his wife to several homes, only to face icy receptions. During one visit, Mebane extended his hand to greet an owner who extended his in return — while turning his head away.

“You could feel the tension without people saying anything, and you could just tell they didn’t want us there,” Mebane said. “They were probably surprised that we were African-Americans, and they bought into all the negative stereotypes.”

Mebane and his wife eventually fell in love with a home that was right across the street from a park, which was perfect for their kids, 3-year-old Mahailey and 1-year-old Makai.

They set out to put together the rental application, with Amena, a lawyer, looking over all the details. Their credit score, in the 800s, was excellent. They amassed multiple recommendation letters that praised their character.

The Mebanes were turned down. The reason they were given?

“They told us the other applicant had a credit score that was four points higher,” Mebane said, rolling his eyes. “You can’t say we won’t rent to you because you’re black, because you’ll get sued. I know the real reason. I could handle it better if the people were just honest.”

http://theundefeated.com/features/c...-black-teammates-trouble-renting-los-angeles/

20170713_espn_brandonmebane124_16470715.jpg

Yeah, that's sounds like the Irvine that I lived in for about 6 years during college and several years afterwards.

Thaedolus

Disgusting. There are so many valid reasons to hate people; why make it about race? I'm not done hating all the white people yet.

/s kind of but kind of not

I mean this is kinda about Asian prejudice toward black people, not whites....

I don't have sympathy for Black people who try and move into some area with virtually no Blacks thinking shit will be sweet because theyre rich or they're upper middle class. White society doesn't fuck with you, regardless of how many zeros are attached to your bank account or how good your credit score is.
Why raise kids in area with zero Black children anyway, find an upscale area with Black people and move there. Don't tell me you can't find an area in South Cali where Black millionaires and upper middle class folk aren't in abundance.

Trey

I don't have sympathy for Black people who try and move into some area with virtually no Blacks thinking shit will be sweet because theyre rich or they're upper middle class. White society doesn't fuck with you, regardless of how many zeros are attached to your bank account or how good your credit score is.
Why raise kids in area with zero Black children anyway, find an upscale area with Black people and move there.

It's for work.

I lived in Mission Viejo (next door) for ~18 months while on a work project. Very expensive, and basically no black people...like at all. It was jarring how few honestly, especially considering how close to Long Beach/LA we were.

I remember one night I was having dinner at a local Claim Jumpers, and there were 2 black dudes at the bar next to me. One of my first reactions in conversation was like, holy crap black dudes! They were like I know, rite?

Why raise kids in area with zero Black children anyway, find an upscale area with Black people and move there. Don't tell me you can't find an area in South Cali where Black millionaires and upper middle class folk aren't in abundance.

Living up to your username I see

p2535748

I'd find it so cool to rent a home to a professional athlete. Alas, no one wants to live way outside of Boston.

I hate how the real estate agent in the article just tries to paper over it, like "oh, they're probably just getting outbid." I mean, that might be true sometimes, but it's frustrating how everyone will admit there's racism *in general* but never in any specific case.

HTowns said it best: "Racism is quantum locked. It doesn't exist when it's being observed. The moment it is seen by any living creature, it freezes into a coincidence."

Socivol

Woooow, four points higher? What bullshit.....did they also have a multimillion dollar income to back up that credit score?

Tripon

He and other players picked Irvine because it's a drive away from Costa Mesa where they're training.

Edit: There is Long Beach, but the upscales part of it, uh.... well, yeah. Diverse would be the best way to put it.

You'd have to go back to Hawthorne where he grew up to find that kind of area, and that's 2 hours with okay traffic away because a 30 mile drive with that average amount of commuters.

I lived in Mission Viejo (next door) for ~18 months while on a work project. Very expensive, and basically no black people...like at all. It was jarring how few honestly, especially considering how close to Long Beach/LA we were.

I remember one night I was having dinner at a local Claim Jumpers, and there were 2 black dudes at the bar next to me. One of my first reactions in conversation was like, holy crap black dudes! They were like I know, rite?

Yeah, black people in the OC are pretty rare. Some 15 years ago, there were probably only a handful in my high school of probably >2600.

It was interesting moving to the East Coast to see how different media is tailored to different regions, as I remember seeing very few black people on commercials growing up (mostly white/hispanic) to DC where it was very common to see black people on tv (or even lots of asian people when I go up to Toronto).

hoserx

I have a second job for a biotech company in Irvine. Heading there for the first time on the 31st. I didn't know that this was an issue there.

jtt935

Lived in Buena Park for a couple of years and I almost went a whole year before I saw a single black person in Orange County. I damn near did a double take when I saw one walking down the street. Strange that you can see every other race and ethnicity there except black.

Read the article. Whites are a minority in Irvine

Lev

Perfect example of how housing discrimination is still a problem, especially for black folks. I get real tired of people telling me that "times have changed" when I know full well that shit like this continues to happen.

I have a second job for a biotech company in Irvine. Heading there for the first time on the 31st. I didn't know that this was an issue there.

I had a coworker who moved to Irvine from New Jersey (we worked in Newport Beach, right next to Irvine) who was black. I don't recall him saying it was difficult to rent a place in Irvine, but he did say he used to be pulled over constantly - he chalked it up to being a black guy driving a Lexus.

Obligatory reference to one of the best X-Files episodes which is basically about overly planned communities like Irvine and their creepy vibe.

Whenever I visit Blizzard's offices it's always a stark reminder of why I got the hell out of southern California. Although I do miss Jalapenos in Tustin.

Kill3r7

I had a coworker who moved to Irvine from New Jersey (we worked in Newport Beach, right next to Irvine) who was black. I don't recall him saying it was difficult to rent a place in Irvine, but he did say he used to be pulled over constantly - he chalked it up to being a black guy driving a Lexus.

I assume they are not looking to rent in the same neighborhood.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!

I found this far funnier that I should have. Especially when I hear the black guys saying that in a high pitched OC accent.

Yup. Still laughing.

Sucks for that guy and his family. Dude looks like a cool guy, too.

Nakazato

Your either a racist or a coon.

Physical mobility is one of the hallmarks of social mobility. Why shouldn't someone of means be able to live wherever they choose?

B.O.O.M

So when they Asian, do they mean that in the American sense (referring to East Asians), or Asians in general (e.g. including South Asians)?

Derwind

No matter how much money you make or how found you are, you can never evade everyday social racism.

I bet before they realized who he was they were ecstatic to see all the zero's attached to the offer.

It's close to where he works, the reason hes trying to move there has nothing to do with the demographic makeup of the area.

I'm in Irvine now, in my office. Irvine is basically the tech hub of OC and largely the LA area in general too. Tons of companies are headquartered here, and the cost of living, rent is very high. In a 1 mile drive you'll lose count of Tesla S's, Ferrari's and other "status" cars on the road. BMW 5 series are the Honda Civic's in this area. Million dollar homes, $800k condo's, and literally no trash or crime for as far as the eye can see.

Not many people can afford to live here and those that do, are often time transplants to the area, much like the Charger players in the OP. I've never once got the impression that Irvine was a racially motivated city, but that class barriers just keep so many people out. The city is majority asian population now, so its not some white washed utopia looking to keep minorities out. It is however a very upscale community looking to keep outsiders out, which is fucked up.

I think its unfortunate that Charger player got treated like he did, fucking idiots.

Read the article. Whites are a minority in Irvine

I read the article. Asian population is 45%, but it's misleading give the impression that they are minorities like black people are, at one point whatever percent.

Don't get me started on how Asians are perceived as the model minority, so much so that often times they are not counted as a minority at all. Nearly invisible.

Lol@ 800 credit score.

To be honest, I really don't like shitting on the south for being racist when the northeast and the pacific states can be really racist as well.

Here's an example of it happening in New Jersey by the Meadowlands Stadium.

http://www.businessinsider.com/giant-player-house-robbed-vandalized-swastika-racist-2016-12

Moonachie is lower middle class, not snooty at all.

As someone from the South we deserve all the shit we get about it even if it isn't perfect elsewhere.

The shadow of Jim Crow still looms large and a significant number of states are still working hard to disenfranchise black folk.

Al-ibn Kermit

No matter how much money you make or how found you are, you can never evade everyday social racism.

I bet before they realized who he was they were ecstatic to see all the zero's attached to the offer.

It's close to where he works, the reason hes trying to move there has nothing to do with the demographic makeup of the area.

Mostly East Asians and Iranians.

So when they Asian, do they mean that in the American sense (referring to East Asians), or Asians in general (e.g. including South Asians)?

It's a bit of both (there's a reason my alma mater UCI is mockingly referred to as University of Chinese and Indians - along with University of Civics and Integras - but that's more relevant to time's past), thought I would gather that the population of east asians in Irvine is higher than Indians. It's been a long time since I've been back, but from what I've read, there's been quite a surge in immigration from China, though there's been general immigration throughout Asian countries - and I'm sure an influx of traditionally poorer southeast Asian communities in the neighboring cities (like Vietnamese people) who are starting to gather wealth and want to move into more affluent areas.

http://www.ocregister.com/2016/09/2...p-in-irvine-and-what-that-means-for-the-city/

BigDug13

I read the article. Asian population is 45%, but it's misleading give the impression that they are minorities like black people are, at one point whatever percent.

Don't get me started on how Asians are perceived as the model minority, so much so that often times they are not counted as a minority at all. Nearly invisible.

Lol@ 800 credit score.

It didn't say 800 credit score. It said IN the 800's. Isn't 850 max score?

I can't help but laugh at the idiotic fact of one minority group getting money and deciding to shit on another minority group that gets money while forgetting they ain't shit in the majority's eyes either.

Guess when you get oppressed it feels good to be able to oppress someone else.

Shit is wrong either way.

I mean this is kinda about Asian prejudice toward black people, not whites....

I can't help but laugh at the idiotic fact of one minority group getting money and deciding to shit on another minority group that gets money while forgetting they ain't shit in the majority's eyes either.

Guess when you get oppressed it feels good to be able to oppress someone else.

Shit is wrong either way.

where in the article is it saying asians are denying rent? from what I read its showing asians are the one competing for property in the area and them getting preferrential treatment, not them denying rent.

Did you even read the OP?

did you read the article?

Tripon

A lot of properties in Irvine, especially in the rental housing area are still controlled by the Irvine Company, which is the largest residential and building company in Southern California. Arrested Development and the Bluth's construction business was based on the Irvine Company.

Sober6809

Banned
it's not even an Asian racist problem either. There are lots of latino racists. I'm from El Paso Texas and you could tell a lot of them are complete racists to white and black people. It's pretty fucking disgusting.

B.O.O.M

It's a bit of both (there's a reason my alma mater UCI is mockingly referred to as University of Chinese and Indians - along with University of Civics and Integras - but that's more relevant to time's past), thought I would gather that the population of east asians in Irvine is higher than Indians. It's been a long time since I've been back, but from what I've read, there's been quite a surge in immigration from China, though there's been general immigration throughout Asian countries - and I'm sure an influx of traditionally poorer southeast Asian communities in the neighboring cities (like Vietnamese people) who are starting to gather wealth and want to move into more affluent areas.

http://www.ocregister.com/2016/09/2...p-in-irvine-and-what-that-means-for-the-city/

Oh I see. Got it. Thanks guys. The way the term Asian is used in the US still throws me off, even after all these years (I'm South Asian)

it's not even an Asian racist problem either. There are lots of latino racists. I'm from El Paso Texas and you could tell a lot of them are complete racists to white and black people. It's pretty fucking disgusting.

What a coincidence. I am currently in El Paso and I've had a few instances where this was conveyed as well. Hell one of my roommates (Hispanic) basically said he hates Black people -_-

again, the article doesnt say anything about asians denying rent. they are the ones renting and buying property as they live and work there, and they are getting preferrential treatment over non asians.

Sober6809

Banned
Oh I see. Got it. Thanks guys. The way the term Asian is used in the US still throws me off, even after all these years (I'm South Asian)

What a coincidence. I am currently in El Paso and I've had a few instances where this was conveyed as well. Hell one of my roommates (Hispanic) basically said he hates Black people -_-

I was born and raised there (lower valley). Love the city, hate the people.

bionic77

Physical mobility is one of the hallmarks of social mobility. Why shouldn't someone of means be able to live wherever they choose?
Its always easier to blame the victim. Its not the fault of the racists, really if these uppity brownies only lived with their own kind we wouldn't have these problems! They are the real racists!

Dumb and evil people always fall for it and are then so surprised when the same shit happens to them.

Top Bottom