• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Chargers players finding tough time to rent in Irvine, CA

Drove through OC on the PCH on my way to San Diego (from LA). Rode by a store that had a black-painted mannequin perched outside with an afro and an Obama t-shirt. Wife and I couldn't believe that shit. Didn't think places like that existed in California of all States.

I live in Irvine, and it's such a shame to hear this. As a Latino, I haven't had the same experience with apartments, but I never did try to rent. Most people I know, which are University students, were never able to rent a place out, because they wouldn't accept college kids. I knew they were picky, but so "picky" they wouldn't accept someone because they were black?? Appalling. I shouldn't be surprised, as there is a huge disconnect between the students and working population, without a doubt. When I went to go vote, some old guy was behind me, and wouldnt stop talking about criminal Hillary Clinton and deadly marijuana. I wanted him to STFU so bad. Terrible experience. Never gonna vote without friends again, after that.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Totally thought this article was going to be about cost of living being so high for minimum salary guys. It ended up much worse.

Those people are very bitter that African-Americans have as much/more money than they. Of course, I'm sure every single one of them came from nothing and built their wealth from the ground up. None of them came from wealthy families or inherited millions.

Shit I would love to have an active NFL player as my neighbor

I guess Irvine is so far up its own *racist ass that they would even dare deny someone like that

How do the teachers afford to live in Irvine? Do they have to commute?

I am sure they do. I went to UCI and back then it was expensive. It must be insane now.

Sad to say I was not shocked by this fucked up news. Great school, but the community around it is super elitist.

Mesousa

Banned
Live and work in Irvine. Not shocked at all by this. The lack of real diversity is a HUGE issue here.

Is it?

According to wikipedia:

"The racial makeup of Irvine was 107,215 (50.5%) White, 3,718 (1.8%) African American, 355 (0.2%) Native American, 83,176 (39.2%) Asian, 334 (0.2%) Pacific Islander, 5,867 (2.8%) from other races, and 11,710 (5.5%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 19,621 persons (9.2%). Non-Hispanic Whites were 45.1% of the population."

This is pretty diverse. Especially for a wealthy area.

Slo

I don't have sympathy for Black people who try and move into some area with virtually no Blacks thinking shit will be sweet because theyre rich or they're upper middle class. White society doesn't fuck with you, regardless of how many zeros are attached to your bank account or how good your credit score is.
Why raise kids in area with zero Black children anyway, find an upscale area with Black people and move there. Don't tell me you can't find an area in South Cali where Black millionaires and upper middle class folk aren't in abundance.

I see what you're saying but that's not going to solve racism long term. Segregation is bad for everyone.

BobLoblaw

Banned
The only people I know in Irvine are Asian. :D I had no idea the stats were that skewed, though. Still, it's a decent area, but why not just move to Costa Mesa? It's much nicer.

TransTrender

Gold Member
again, the article doesnt say anything about asians denying rent. they are the ones renting and buying property as they live and work there, and they are getting preferrential treatment over non asians.
As someone who lived there forever it's very convenient they left this part out.

I don't have sympathy for Black people who try and move into some area with virtually no Blacks thinking shit will be sweet because theyre rich or they're upper middle class. White society doesn't fuck with you, regardless of how many zeros are attached to your bank account or how good your credit score is.
Why raise kids in area with zero Black children anyway, find an upscale area with Black people and move there. Don't tell me you can't find an area in South Cali where Black millionaires and upper middle class folk aren't in abundance.
pls go back to the uneducated backwater dishsoap where u came from thanks.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

"They should know better and stick to their designated ethnic ghetto instead of deciding to pointlessly challenge discrimination and bring these concerns to the spotlight with the high profile platform available to them," uhhh, okay? Victim blaming isn't cool.

It's their prerogative whether to challenge the status quo or roll with it, and they have no inherent responsibility to be the specific folks to take a stand -- and likewise, by all means, you do you, and live in whatever kind of neighborhood you're most comfortable with among your options -- but that's what they're attempting to do here: live where they want to live and demonstrably meet the economic criteria to. They're facing apparent discrimination in the attempt, which we have laws about, and which many people from all backgrounds and socioeconomic walks would prefer to see enforced in a fair and just manner for all.

They're taking a stand, and it's not a trivial thing to take a stand, so you're doing them and the broader issues at stake here a disservice by extolling the virtues of apathy and defeatism when staring down an apparent systemic injustice.

Your either a racist or a coon.
Im neither.
I would never move into an area with no Black people, Im not living anywhere where Im made to feel like an outsider and doing some shit like that to "fight the good fight" has literally solved nothing and only makes the new Black family on the block feel alienated and miserable.
Ill be damned if I let some White neighbors do me like they did Henry Louis Gates. And you're asking for that to happen when you move to areas like this.

Im neither.
I would never move into an area with no Black people, Im not living anywhere where Im made to feel like an outsider and doing some shit like that to "fight the good fight" has literally solved nothing and only makes the new Black family on the block feel alienated and miserable.
Ill be damned if I let some White neighbors do me like they did Henry Louis Gates. And you're asking for that to happen when you move to areas like this.

The neighbors aren't white in this story, they're Asian.

Im neither.

You know what, i'm sorry you feel that way fam. For real.

To contribute to this conversation, I do have some limited experience with weird neighbors but I would never let them make me or my family feel alienated. They would have a problem.

Beach

I'm posting this from a community in Irvine that I live in at the moment. Story makes sense to me. Unfortunate.

Edit: Categorizing the OC like peeps here are doing though is something 13 year old me would say. I miss and like LA much more but there are swarms of Hispanic, Persian, South Asian etc communities here as well. Damn it don't make me defend the OC.

Drove through OC on the PCH on my way to San Diego (from LA). Rode by a store that had a black-painted mannequin perched outside with an afro and an Obama t-shirt. Wife and I couldn't believe that shit. Didn't think places like that existed in California of all States.

Drive far enough east from any point in CA and you'd have a fair chance of running into a confederate flag.

Nista

Yeah the minority population around here is pretty slim, though we do have a black family living on our block, it's mostly white and asian families.

Though realtors around here are really weird and snobby, so I figure the football players have extra trouble if they are going after the "high end" rental market. We live near Shady Canyon, and those folks won't even give us the time of day. Too bad that we aren't stupid enough to waste 10k a month on rent either.

Top Bottom