• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason Training Camp and Preseason Games - Hopes and Dreams

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Hi all!

This thread is about the NFL kicking off it's Training Camp and the Preseason games!

As we all know full well, Preseason is not about the stars of the NFL nor the absolute starters. It's about POTENTIAL!

It's about the rookies, the second years, the people on the bubble.

It's about whittling down from the 90+ who were invited to camp down to the 53.

It's also about who you may have followed in College and didn't make the NFL but got a contract in the CFL so they can continue the dream!

We are less than 2 weeks away from the first preseason game which happens on August 1 between the Broncos and the Falcons! (No starters will be playing btw.)

So let me and all of GAF know what your hopes and dreams are for your favorite team this year!

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'll start.

For me and my Broncos, I'm unbelievably excited about Dalton Reisner LG. In this training camp, he's guaranteed going to have a fight with one of the defense be it Gotsis or Wolfe.

The offense with Joe Flacco is looking to be a work in progress, but the defense looks to be fairly nasty under our new head coach.

I agree with Fangio in that Drew Lock needs to sit for a year or two. He can make some unbelievable plays while in the same series he can make you smack your head with his bone-headed decisions.

DESTROYA

As a lifelong NE Patriots fan I’m most interested in WR N’Keal Harry , he had a great college career and it’ll be interesting to see how he and the GOAT TB progress.
RB Damien Harris is a sleeper and think he’s going to be a good pickup, only problem is reps, the backfield is pretty stacked.
Don’t hate me I’ve been following them from the Rod Rust years when they were one of the worst teams in the league.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Unlikely to watch the NFL again this year if the morons continue with their protests.
Are you talking about the kneeling? I don't think they even brought attention to that last year.

As a long life NE Patriots fan I’m most interested in WR N’Keal Harry , he had a great college career and it’ll be interesting to see how he and the GOAT TB progress.
RB Damien Harris is a sleeper and think he’s going to be a good pickup, only problem is reps, the backfield is pretty stacked.
Don’t hate me I’ve been following them from the Rod Rust years when they were one of the worst teams in the league.
How do you think that Brady is going to do this year? Do you think he's going to fall off a cliff at some point? As much as I hate to say it, but I can easily see him going to 45 like he wants to.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
He’ll be fine, he takes care of his body and as long as he doesn’t get hurt they should make another run for the SB.
Please god no. ;)

Edit: I shouldn't be saying too much. Broncos under Pat Bowlen (RIP) had an unbelievably successful run. It was only this past 2 years that Denver had back to back losing seasons since the 70's. But you would think the sky is falling when you listen to the local media around here.

How is everyone else feeling?

I'm hopeful for the Detroit Lions to have a good year tbh. Stafford has had a rough career despite me thinking that he's an elite quarterback.

I think that Tampa under Arians will have a significant bump.

I think that Green Bay will be a dumpster fire along with the Raiders as they prepare for their move to Las Vegas.

I think the Raiders will be a dumpster fire solely because I hate the Raiders and have absolutely no other logical reason. Well, except for the fact that Gruden was told to completely strip the team down so they can prepare to move to Vegas where apparently they'll have a lot more money to work with after the first season there.

Last edited:
Well, my team (the Bengals) lost their first-round pick for the year, in a position where they are sorely lacking (O-line). Experts are down on the Bengals this year, and I can't really disagree.

Just feel bad for loyal and talented vets like AJ Green and Geno Atkins.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Well, my team (the Bengals) lost their first-round pick for the year, in a position where they are sorely lacking (O-line). Experts are down on the Bengals this year, and I can't really disagree.

Just feel bad for loyal and talented vets like AJ Green and Geno Atkins.
How do you feel about Dalton? I have a love/hate relationship with him. Some Sundays he can absolutely light it up but other days he is below pedestrian.

I honestly believe that you guys and gals have an above average QB leading your team.

greyshark

Lifelong Bears fan checking in - lots of uncertainty around the team this year. How will the defense look under a new system? Will Trubisky take that next step? Has Nagy gotten over that freaking missed FG (no I will never get over it)?

I expect the defense to do well, but it’s unlikely they will be so far ahead of the league like they were last year. I hope a greater balance will lead to another division title, but I really don’t know what to think on their overall prospects.

How do you feel about Dalton? I have a love/hate relationship with him. Some Sundays he can absolutely light it up but other days he is below pedestrian.

I honestly believe that you guys and gals have an above average QB leading your team.

Personally, I like Dalton. Think he's a model pro, and a generally good guy.

However, speaking in terms of strictly football, I think it may be time to cut bait after this season barring something drastic. Dalton, I believe, is a QB that works best when the system around him is talented and set; he does not hit me of someone who will drag his team from mediocrity to success (like Brady or Rodgers, or even Rivers). He's an adjuster, not a transformer, if you catch what I'm saying.

And with the roster becoming depleted (especially the o-line) and growing older, I don't know if Dalton's the guy that can lead them over the hump. I want to be proven wrong, but I am fearful that it will be a bittersweet break-up between Dalton and the Bengals after this coming season.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Personally, I like Dalton. Think he's a model pro, and a generally good guy.

However, speaking in terms of strictly football, I think it may be time to cut bait after this season barring something drastic. Dalton, I believe, is a QB that works best when the system around him is talented and set; he does not hit me of someone who will drag his team from mediocrity to success (like Brady or Rodgers, or even Rivers). He's an adjuster, not a transformer, if you catch what I'm saying.

And with the roster becoming depleted (especially the o-line) and growing older, I don't know if Dalton's the guy that can lead them over the hump. I want to be proven wrong, but I am fearful that it will be a bittersweet break-up between Dalton and the Bengals after this coming season.
I get what you're saying, but there are so few quarterbacks who are capable of doing what you're saying. You mentioned Rivers in there. Rivers is imo the same kind of QB as Dalton. Always good, but never had the supporting cast. Brady is the only one in recent memory that can drag his team kicking and screaming into the playoffs and beyond.

I get what you're saying, but there are so few quarterbacks who are capable of doing what you're saying. You mentioned Rivers in there. Rivers is imo the same kind of QB as Dalton. Always good, but never had the supporting cast. Brady is the only one in recent memory that can drag his team kicking and screaming into the playoffs and beyond.

Maybe it's because I never followed the Chargers, but I've never seen Rivers hit the bottoms that Dalton did.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Maybe it's because I never followed the Chargers, but I've never seen Rivers hit the bottoms that Dalton did.
Gosh darnit all to heck. Rivers is a dang gone an amazing dog gone didly good quarterback.

Hall of fame even if he couldn't get to the big one let alone win it.

He will always live in the shadow of Brees whom he replaced and Brees has broken records and won a Superbowl.

greyshark

Do Chargers fans really compare Brees to Rivers? Brees was always an afterthought there, I don’t see Rivers having to fight through any shadow from Brees as a Charger.

Rivers is a HOF QB in my opinion - I wouldn’t put Dalton in that class.

And neither would I. Dalton was/is a mediocre-to-pretty good QB who lost his one chance at becoming great when he broke his thumb the year he was playing at near-MVP levels.

I still remember the gut punch feeling watching that playoff game against the Steelers, when AJ McCarron showed everyone why he's a crap Alabama QB and Jeremy Hill decided to fumble away a victory.

Then again, I also remember when Carson Palmer got his knee fucked up......

Go panthers! Excited to see cmc and holyfield work their magic. Also excited to see what hunter henry can do. There was a bit of shake up with some big names so itll be interesting to see how they all shake out - AB for example.

So exicted for camps to get underway. I think im more interested to see the new developments with teams and returning players than i am about rookies this year.

I hope Cam's shoulder is, and stays, healthy. And I hope the new hybrid 3-4 defense yields great results. Of course, I always hope the Panthers win it all. It's got to happen some day...right?

And I hope we break Matt Ryan and Drew Brees in half.

On another note, I wish the NFL would get rid of replay altogether. I know I'm in the minority, but now with the added pass interference replay, it's just gotten ridiculous.

We still don't know what a catch is after all these years. You can NEVER remove the subjective element from sports officiating. (in most situations) We look closer and closer at everything and things just get more blurry. Part of sport is the narrative, the tragedy and comedy. Sometimes you get screwed, and sometimes miracles happen. Hand of god anyone. Those random mistakes make sport compelling. Trying to perfect everything only makes things unwieldy and unwatchable.

Pagusas

Elden Member
New Coach, new coaching staff, completely new defense, mostly new wide receivers... I'm both excited and super scared for this season.

TheZink

Jags fan. Hopefully with Foles at the lead we can turn stuff around.

One of my Best Bros signed with the Steelers so I had to default as a fan. It will be interested to see them without AB this season but Im excited to see what Ju Ju will do as WR1.

I really like Josh Allen. Some of the plays he made last year were jaw dropping. You probably know much better than me, but it was my understanding that they significantly upgraded their WR core this year.

We will see... Bills front office is changing their strategy on WRs. I think they're learning from the mistakes they've seen Carolina make with Cam Newton. Forget huge receivers. Stock your team with known guys that can separate and get open and have a chance to catch an uncontested ball. It's why guys like Kelvin Benjamin didn't work out. So cue in John Brown and Beasley. Significantly upgrade (and with depth) the O-line. When Allen actually had time to throw last year, he could make some plays. His completion percentage and accuracy are still a "concern", but with the defense they have, and the chance to make a few huge plays per game, they have a chance to steal some.

bucyou

Jameis is in his final "prove it year", (5th year option for 21.9m on rooke deal) hes either going to rise to his potential under "QB Whisperer" and new Bucs head ball coach Bruce Arians, or be applying for a job at publix selling seafood next offseason.

The Bucs statistically and visually had one of the worst defenses in NFL history last season. Addressing that unit they cut ties with former pro bowl DT Gerald McCoy was was knocked for being too nice to opponents and becoming ineffective as his contract played out, also his salary didnt jive with the teams salary cap position. He was replaced with DT Suh, of QB leg stomping fame. The other notable addition was savior and manbeast LB Devin White, who signed his contract just in time to report to rookie training camp.

The national talking heads have no reason to believe the dysfunction down in tampa will generate a winning season, making predictions raning from 2-14 to a best case scenario of 5-11.

Putting on my pewter color shades, Im predicting 10-6 and a wildcard berth. But I can also see a meltdown, jameis benched midseason, and a 4-12 finish

itsabucslife

Last edited:
The thing that really worries me as a Bengals fan is that even the core of our defense is getting older, and we don't have any standout youngsters who seem ready to take over except in the secondary.

The front 4 is Carlos Dunlap (talented but getting long in the tooth), Geno Atkins (ditto), Andrew Billings (promising but no superstar), and Jordan Willis (ditto). The backups are nothing special.

The LB corps is arguably the worst in the league.

They got a good rookie in Jessie Bates for the troublesome FS spot and have a great young CB in William Jackson III, but they need help.

It's the defense that'll make or break the team, because they have enough firepower with Joe Mixon, AJ Green, Tyler Boyd and (when healthy) Tyler Eifert.....that is, if Dalton can remain standing for a bit before the leaky O-line explodes.

So yeah, I'm depressed. We'll probably be looking up at the fucking Browns, and that irritates me to no end.

As a Cowboys fan I expect the same thing every year - disappointment.

At least things are usually entertaining.

As a Cowboys fan I hereby proclaim the Browns as my team this year with Baker Mayfield as lord and savior. LONG LIVE THE KING. Browns will go 11-5 and clinch the north.

tenor.gif

Cowboys will probably end the season 8-8 because Zeke will miss 4 games holding out on a contract extension and Dak will go 0-4 because he sucks.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Broncos are holding practice at Mile High today and it's free entry. Local media is thinking that 20 to 30k may turn up.

After a week of practice, the defense is way ahead of the offense. Right now they have 7 tight ends on the roster and I'm interested in seeing how it's going to end up.

The local media is buzzing about undrafted rookie Tight End Austin Fort who played for Wyoming. He's been playing with 3's, 2's and 1's and pretty much has been catching everything thrown his way. Jake Butt hasn't practiced in 7 days now and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he gets cut and ends up on another roster. He's had 3 acl surgeries in the past 4 years. Oof. He was a first round prospect and fell to the fifth round after he tore his acl during a bowl game.

Is there anyone who was undrafted making waves in your team's camp?

Last edited:

gatti-man

As a Cowboys fan I hereby proclaim the Browns as my team this year with Baker Mayfield as lord and savior. LONG LIVE THE KING. Browns will go 11-5 and clinch the north.

tenor.gif

Cowboys will probably end the season 8-8 because Zeke will miss 4 games holding out on a contract extension and Dak will go 0-4 because he sucks.
8-8 is very forgiving. I expect the cowboys to implode this season. 5-11

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Well, I renewed my PS Vue subscription for the season. Looking forward to watching tomorrow's HOF game and then realizing after 10 minutes that preseason games are a cluster!

Denver has confirmed that 3 OL starters will be playing a couple series and then the punter and kicker will be playing. Everyone else will be second and third string players apparently. Still, I'm looking forward to seeing Drew Lock step onto the field.

It was cool that PS Vue remembered all my favorite channels and had shows on DVR ready for me.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Fuck me, now AJ Green is hurt. Well, if they're working on lowering expectations, they're doing a bang-up job.
Yea, I read about that. Sucks. But on the bright side, it's apparently only going to affect the first two games or so of the regular season.

I'll enjoy watching the 49ers pre-season games, and watch how all of the people they dress up to impersonate wide receivers do.

Grocery clerk guy - 3 catches, 16 yards.

We at factory of sadness levels now. Shoulda gone for Beckham, Brown, or both, They had the cap space at some point.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Almost time! I'm excited to see what my Broncos rookies look like!

It came out a couple hours ago that our new head coach spent today in a Cleveland hospital with kidney stones. He's on the field right now, but he doesn't look happy. Not sure if he's passed it/them yet or if he's recovering. Hearing some fellow Gaffers stories about their experience with passing kidney stones, I'm honestly surprised he's out there.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Aww yea. I love that Shanahan offense.
Rich Scangarello (our OC) is such a cool story. He was coaching mid tier college football and he took a chance on himself. He effectively took an internship and slept on couches to be able to work with Kyle Shanahan in Atlanta. He then followed Shanahan to the 49ers where he was the QB coach. He's now the OC of the Broncos.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out this year. If the Broncos are bad, people around Denver will want him to be fired. If he brings the Broncos back to relevancy, there's a good chance he'll be a head coaching candidate next year

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Don't agree with that call. Lock deserved to get hit there. Broncos need to teach him how to commit to the slide so he doesn't get murdered if he ever makes it into a game during the regular season.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Also, Lock needs to understand that even though he's playing against second and third stringers, the people he's playing against were stars in College.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Haha! Fangio said that he would be the first coach to throw a challenge flag about pass interference and he did it!

God I love this head coach!

I’ve been so wrapped up in baseball that I’ve let NFL slip past me a little so far.

I know that on the radio, almost every day, I hear the local guys talk about how great Drew Lock looks in practice. They are really making him out to be the second coming.

I watched the game, and well, I mean he definitely looked like a rookie, that’s for sure. Way too early to know one way or another but initial first impression didn’t amaze me or anything.

Top Bottom