• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 17 |OT| An Upgrade Comparable to Trading Shea Weber for P.K. Subban

theRizzle

- Sounds like Franchise mode finally got an overhaul with things like team relocation and bobblehead nights, etc. Sounds like Be A Pro is identical.

Does this game have multi-user Franchise Mode yet? Or will I be buying and playing only MLB The Show again this year?

My friend and I have spent hundreds of hours in the last 7 years playing MLB The Show - which is a fantastic series of course - but we would both rather play NHL. It's just that NHL's franchise mode is only single player. (I know they have/had a Season mode where it's just one season but that's useless to me).

Stat!

Operation Sports review is up. They gave it a 8.0. For comparison last year they gave NHL16 a 7.5

http://www.operationsports.com/reviews/838/nhl-17/

I get it, Hut brings in money and all that, but its kinda embarrassing that Be-A-PRo remains mostly unchanged and bad mechanics that have plagued GM mode for years such as scouting remain the same while HUT which has gotten plenty of updates over the years gets an overhaul.

Oh well.

So is Be A Pro untouched from last year?

edit: nvm
I get it, Hut brings in money and all that, but its kinda embarrassing that Be-A-PRo remains mostly unchanged and bad mechanics that have plagued GM mode for years such as scouting remain the same while HUT which has gotten plenty of updates over the years gets an overhaul.

Oh well.

:| Welp, probably not gonna buy it.

Having quite a few eternally loading white screens over the last day or two playing. Really frustrating. Have to quit the build and restart the game and even that doesn't work about half the time.

HUT and Draft Champions cause it most often so far. HUT I'd say it happens every 4 out of 5 times I try to launch the game mode.

Haven't been able to launch HUT since Friday. I've tried at least seven times and it just gets stuck on a white screen with the rotating yellow circle in the grey box in the top right corner.

Spent a lot of time playing it today. It feels good.

I had two disallowed goals already; one online and one in solo.

I started a franchise with the Leafs. I felt like making a trade, so I traded Brooks Laich for Dominic Moore who I always liked. It was negligible. But that hurt my team morale a bit.

I put Bozak and Gauthier on the trading block, and kept getting offers of a 2nd and 3rd for Bozak, from one team as well as NJ. I declined. One of my goals was to get a 1st round pick for the next draft, though, and the Rangers offered me a 2017 1st and a 2018 3rd for both Bozak and Gauthier, which I took before they got smart.

Now Kadri is my first line centre, Nylander is on the second line, Holland is on the third and Moore is my fourth line centre, centring Marner and captain Matthews.

Marvie_3

Banned
Game isnt even out and EASHL is already boring. Every team does the same crap every time down the ice. Force it to the high slot and throw any garbage on net.

Cake Boss

Banned
First NHL game I won't be getting day one since the launch of the Xbox 360. Will wait for price drop. Sucks to hear about be a pro and be a GM mode.

Plus where the fuck is GMconnected??!!!

Ahhhhhhhhh

First NHL game I won't be getting day one since the launch of the Xbox 360. Will wait for price drop. Sucks to hear about be a pro and be a GM mode.

Plus where the fuck is GMconnected??!!!

Ahhhhhhhhh

The answered this question at some point I think last year and said their analytics showed that barely anyone played GM Connected the last year it was in the game compared to all of the other games modes, so they took it out because it wasn't worth the effort.

What they didn't take into account is that the reason most people stopped playing it was that the experience was pretty shitty. It took about 5 mins to load each and every screen when you needed to make even the most minor changes to your team and it randomly would not count the results of games played. No wonder people gave up on it...

Spent a lot of time playing it today. It feels good.

I had two disallowed goals already; one online and one in solo.

I started a franchise with the Leafs. I felt like making a trade, so I traded Brooks Laich for Dominic Moore who I always liked. It was negligible. But that hurt my team morale a bit.

I put Bozak and Gauthier on the trading block, and kept getting offers of a 2nd and 3rd for Bozak, from one team as well as NJ. I declined. One of my goals was to get a 1st round pick for the next draft, though, and the Rangers offered me a 2017 1st and a 2018 3rd for both Bozak and Gauthier, which I took before they got smart.

Now Kadri is my first line centre, Nylander is on the second line, Holland is on the third and Moore is my fourth line centre, centring Marner and captain Matthews.

You have Matthews as captain but way back in the 4th line? :)

Ruthless subtitle. Well done.
Im glad most people seemed to really like or at least feel some emotion from the title, I wasnt sure how it would go over...

Does this game still have couch co-op for online versus play? I assume so since 16 had it.
i think so, but I think your guest had to be signed into a PSN account with PS+ to play last year

I forgot this was out today. I'll grab it digitally.

Any word on how it is?
I posted a ton of reviews in the OP

I played 6 games of EASHL with my club and one offline VS the CPU last night. It seems pretty similar to last year except the skating feels much better and there are a lot of subtle improvements. EASHL is the best its ever been.

The VS game I played on Superstar Full Sim was pretfy enjoyable. I lost 3-4 in OT with my Flyers against LA. The CPU forecheck was relentless and it was a pretty ugly game despite all the goals. The real glaring problem is still how the CPU backs off in the neutral zone and lets you enter clean everytime.

I am looking forward to seeing how authentic to real hockey the new sliders can get the gameplay. I think the sliders could really end up changing the game significantly for the better for the first time in almost a decade since EA is too scared to move gameplay any closer to a sim style.

Banned
Im glad most people seemed to really like or at least feel some emotion from the title, I wasnt sure how it would go over...

i think so, but I think your guest had to be signed into a PSN account with PS+ to play last year

I posted a ton of reviews in the OP

I played 6 games of EASHL with my club and one offline VS the CPU last night. It seems pretty similar to last year except the skating feels much better and there are a lot of subtle improvements. EASHL is the best its ever been.

The VS game I played on Superstar Full Sim was pretfy enjoyable. I lost 3-4 in OT with my Flyers against LA. The CPU forecheck was relentless and it was a pretty ugly game despite all the goals. The real glaring problem is still how the CPU backs off in the neutral zone and lets you enter clean everytime.

I am looking forward to seeing how authentic to real hockey the new sliders can get the gameplay. I think the sliders could really end up changing the game significantly for the better for the first time in almost a decade since EA is too scared to move gameplay any closer to a sim style.
Lol I'm a Leafs fan so I loved the trade. Gonna miss watching PK on TV though since Canada doesn't really show Predators games.

Feeroper

Im going to pick this up today, trying to decide between PS4 and XB1 - got friends on both platforms and I like both controllers just fine. I also assume they will look and perform identically.

Where do you think the bigger online presence is going to be for community? I presume PS4 due to the bigger install base, but maybe not? What do you guys think?

Stat!

Im going to pick this up today, trying to decide between PS4 and XB1 - got friends on both platforms and I like both controllers just fine. I also assume they will look and perform identically.

Where do you think the bigger online presence is going to be for community? I presume PS4 due to the bigger install base, but maybe not? What do you guys think?

From what I've gathered (aka the people trying to trade HUT cards on PS4 on NHL 16), the PS4 community is larger due to the larger install base.

I assume it carries over to EASHL as well.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Might have to pick it up this year. Skipped the last few iterations.Also, that thread title...lol

This might be the year I get into HUT. First pack got me a Pavelski. If I can track down a Subban and a Parise, I'll be a happy man.

Might have to pick it up this year. Skipped the last few iterations.Also, that thread title...lol
For what it's worth, I skipped 15 and 16 and am really enjoying 17, probably as a result. HUT seems much improved from what I was used to (there's Draft Champions and single player seasons to make it more interesting), EASHL is a HUGE improvement in terms of customization and the game "feels" good and different to me so far.

As someone who played a lot of 16, I feel like this is basically identical on the ice. I still enjoy it, but annoying that a lot of the dumb stuff from last year is still present. I hate how quickly the CPU recovers the puck from a hit or poke. And goalies still give up too many soft and/or dumb, hilarious goals. I remember last year I had Holtby give up a goal where it was...I don't even know how to describe it, puck came in high but slow (legit very slow) off a deflection and all he had to do was stand and grab it but instead he stayed down while it went right over his head and down into the net. I laughed it off and figured I'd never see it again but lo and behold, playing Draft Champions with Roy as goalie and the same damn thing happens. Dumb. But I love the game and am going to be playing it a ton despite the shortcomings.

BeeNee101

Neo Member
Pokes are better and more calculated - poking from the right angle causes the puck to properly get away from the handler, contact play is better, and the puck is not glued to sticks the same way a 15. Skating seems more responsive and even things like the AI dumping the puck in more realistically, keeping the puck in the offensive zone, not pinning themselves behind their own net and taking a more realistic amount of penalties etc are welcome improvements IMO. I still think they are too passive on defense - especially in EASHL.

However, goalie lateral movement is terrible - I had several goals scored on me last night with players skating right across the crease and the goalie not being able to keep up

Marvie_3

Banned
Pokes are better and more calculated - poking from the right angle causes the puck to properly get away from the handler, contact play is better, and the puck is not glued to sticks the same way a 15. Skating seems more responsive and even things like the AI dumping the puck in more realistically, keeping the puck in the offensive zone, not pinning themselves behind their own net and taking a more realistic amount of penalties etc are welcome improvements IMO. I still think they are too passive on defense - especially in EASHL.

However, goalie lateral movement is terrible - I had several goals scored on me last night with players skating right across the crease and the goalie not being able to keep up
I just wish they would poke check pucks that go right across the front of the crease. Instead they just sit there.

Cudder

Enjoying the game so far, but:

-stick lifts are broken. They never work. I can be right beside the player with the puck, our sticks perpendicular, and it still doesn't do anything.

-wish they would've handled replays better. The 2 replays you get after a goal rarely show the optimal viewing angle (like last year). And the second replay that it shows you starts way too late, like literally a second before the puck leaves the shooters stick. There's no lead up to the goal at all.

-Checking a player and having him still be able to get up and get control of the puck again sucks as much as last year.

-Commentary seems largely unchanged from last year.

-Menus are still too slow.

I read somewhere the stick lift mechanic is different this year due to the inclusion of the net battle stuff. For those who claim it doesnt work, its prob due to your timing. It no longer keys off when you press the button. The stick lift now happens when you release the button.

You can also hold the stick lift button to tie up a players stick for a few seconds if you hold the stick lift button down for a few seconds. This works best when you are in front of the opposing player and facing them. You can do this all over the ice not just in front if the net but they will call you for interference in some situations.

I read somewhere the stick lift mechanic is different this year due to the inclusion of the net battle stuff. For those who claim it doesnt work, its prob due to your timing. It no longer keys off when you press the button. The stick lift now happens when you release the button.

You can also hold the stick lift button to tie up a players stick for a few seconds if you hold the stick lift button down for a few seconds. This works best when you are in front of the opposing player and facing them. You can do this all over the ice not just in front if the net but they will call you for interference in some situations.
I'll give this a shot. Playing with the 'press to stick lift"mindset, I'd say I got hooking/slashing penalties on 60% of my attempts, to a point where I stopped using it altogether as a defensive option.

baconcow

Going from 15 to 17. I hope there is more content, this time. 15 played fine, but it was quite the barebones package.

I'll give this a shot. Playing with the 'press to stick lift"mindset, I'd say I got hooking/slashing penalties on 60% of my attempts, to a point where I stopped using it altogether as a defensive option.

The regular stick lift is a situational move that you really shouldnt use as much now. It used to be essential when a defender was at a range that was too close to poke check.

Since NHL 16 when they turned up incidental contact which can make the puck come loose if it hits a skate, stick, body, etc you can just play sound positional defense when you are close most times and get the puck to squirt free.

I only use regular stick lift on desperation scenarios near the net or when i go into the corners to retrieve the puck. Its also useful to stick lift the closest opposing player if they are racing you to puck which normally guarantees you will be the one to gain possession.

I have to play around with the new holding stick lift to see where else it can be useful. Im hoping it can be used as a tool for the defense immediately off a center ice or defensive zone faceoff

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Untill they add something substantial to a Be A Pro, I'll be waiting for this to come out in a few months on EA Access. Oh and that OT title, yeah fuck hockey until I can stop being pissed at the Canadiens.

The regular stick lift is a situational move that you really shouldnt use as much now. It used to be essential when a defender was at a range that was too close to poke check.

Since NHL 16 when they turned up incidental contact which can make the puck come loose if it hits a skate, stick, body, etc you can just play sound positional defense when you are close most times and get the puck to squirt free.

I only use regular stick lift on desperation scenarios near the net or when i go into the corners to retrieve the puck. Its also useful to stick lift the closest opposing player if they are racing you to puck which normally guarantees you will be the one to gain possession.

I have to play around with the new holding stick lift to see where else it can be useful. Im hoping it can be used as a tool for the defense immediately off a center ice or defensive zone faceoff
Yeah, I mean, I've mainly been using it as I would in real hockey - if I'm in front of the net trying to prevent a one-timer or chasing someone along the boards, trying to steal the puck on a forecheck, etc. So far, mostly penalties. I definitely don't abuse it, but it hasn't been working as I've wanted it to/expected it to. I'll give the "hold the button/let go of it" thing a chance, though!

Yeah, I mean, I've mainly been using it as I would in real hockey - if I'm in front of the net trying to prevent a one-timer or chasing someone along the boards, trying to steal the puck on a forecheck, etc. So far, mostly penalties. I definitely don't abuse it, but it hasn't been working as I've wanted it to/expected it to. I'll give the "hold the button/let go of it" thing a chance, though!

Ive found that using the board play button while facing a player who is waiting to receive a one-timer pass to net battle them toggles a holding stick lift animation as well. This is less risky to do around the net than a regular or holding stick lift. You just have to make sure you are in front of and facing the player.

Pretty new to HUT. Jumped into the single player season and the easy option is...a little too easy. Here's my last outcome:
fRJteS9.png

Anyone finding the AI difficulty a little unbalanced? I go from 62-1 to....losing every Draft Champions game I play by 1-2 goals despite heavily outshooting/out possessing my opponent. Hrm.

The single player grind is real. I've won three championships (12 games) and am finally about to earn enough coins for one of those gold plus packs. Wondering if there's better value elsewhere? I don't feel ready for online vs. play, but if that's the way to coins, maybe I'd dip my toes in and hope I don't get clobbered.

Pretty new to HUT. Jumped into the single player season and the easy option is...a little too easy. Here's my last outcome:
fRJteS9.png

Anyone finding the AI difficulty a little unbalanced? I go from 62-1 to....losing every Draft Champions game I play by 1-2 goals despite heavily outshooting/out possessing my opponent. Hrm.

The single player grind is real. I've won three championships (12 games) and am finally about to earn enough coins for one of those gold plus packs. Wondering if there's better value elsewhere? I don't feel ready for online vs. play, but if that's the way to coins, maybe I'd dip my toes in and hope I don't get clobbered.

You gave up 1 goal to the Hersey Bears on Easy and only beat them by 61, you are not ready for online...

You gave up 1 goal to the Hersey Bears on Easy and only beat them by 61, you are not ready for online...
Haha, yeah. That's just what the game gave me as one of my HUT single player season games. But there's seems to be something wrong when it's 62-1 on that difficulty (literally scoring on every 2nd shot) to not winning in any of the 3 Draft Champions games I've played (which I believe is one difficulty level up?).

Haha, yeah. That's just what the game gave me as one of my HUT single player season games. But there's seems to be something wrong when it's 62-1 on that difficulty (literally scoring on every 2nd shot) to not winning in any of the 3 Draft Champions games I've played (which I believe is one difficulty level up?).

I think they put an extra difficulty level in this year that is in-between the 2 (semi-pro?). Prob wont help you for draft champions but that mode is shit anyway

I think they put an extra difficulty level in this year that is in-between the 2 (semi-pro?). Prob wont help you for draft champions but that mode is shit anyway
Ah, maybe that's it. I was just playing the HUT single season and the two star one was where I won 63-1. I assumed the three star is what Draft Champions was set to. I like the mode in theory (try a different team out each time, stick with them for up to four games, earn rewards in HUT without having to play all your HUT players, etc.), but I do think there's not enough variety in the mode and that the choices aren't particularly tense, since you end up with an abundance of good players anyway.

Ah, maybe that's it. I was just playing the HUT single season and the two star one was where I won 63-1. I assumed the three star is what Draft Champions was set to. I like the mode in theory (try a different team out each time, stick with them for up to four games, earn rewards in HUT without having to play all your HUT players, etc.), but I do think there's not enough variety in the mode and that the choices aren't particularly tense, since you end up with an abundance of good players anyway.

I think you will see that mode get an update at some point in the next month as the complaints that you raised are pretty much a consensus amongst anyone thats played draft champions and are pretty easily fixable. Hopefully they patch in "play a friend" as well like Madden did the first year they put the mode in their game.

I have bad luck with injuries in this game.

I need to start Be a Pro over. I made it onto the Leafs, then got hammered by a Boo-in in the second game of the season. That got me a concussion that lasted 51 days.

I was also playing The World Cup as Canada and North America. Not too far into that, McDavid was unable to play because he got hit hard. It took a game or two for him to be diagnosed with a broken nose. He played in the playoffs, but it was Canada vs. NA in the semis and I obliterated NA as Canada.

You have Matthews as captain but way back in the 4th line? :)

Haha, yeah.

Well, I brought he and Marner up and their rankings dictated them being on the fourth line. I was actually considering giving Rielly the captaincy, but made an error and gave him the A without thinking. Knowing that stripping him of it would affect his morale, I gave the captaincy to Matthews.

GravyButt

Hows franchise? I know it sounds silly but can you control things like concessions and ticket prices? I find it adds depth ect. Thanks

Hows franchise? I know it sounds silly but can you control things like concessions and ticket prices? I find it adds depth ect. Thanks

It's good, and that's something you definitely get to do. Tickets, playoff tickets, jerseys, concessions, t-shirts...etc. Also giveaway nights.

More questions about a newbie to HUT:

1 - Does EA ever add additional pack types? I know Madden would introduce things like rookie packs or packs that guaranteed one special card, etc. Just wondering if I should be saving coins for the occasional special pack down the road?

2 - Does EA add additional sets to the game? Right now it seems like there's the ridiculously difficult to collect Hero sets and then sets that don't reward players/packs. Would be great if there was something in between.

3 - In MUT I feel like they used to allow trades - can't seem to find a trade option, just buy/sell in the auction house?

Thanks!

PS: really hoping to find that Minnesota North Stars jersey for cheap on the auction block. Heh.

How are the rosters coming into this game? Usually I don't start franchise mode until the season starts so I get accurate rosters.

For example, is Matthews on the Leafs already or do I have to move him from Zurich?

Stat!

How are the rosters coming into this game? Usually I don't start franchise mode until the season starts so I get accurate rosters.

For example, is Matthews on the Leafs already or do I have to move him from Zurich?

You need to move him from Zurich. Rosters aren't updated until first/second week of season when rookies play.

Even once it updates, you might want to move Datsyuk/Pronger/Savard/Clowe/Horton/Robidas etc from their teams since they are technically on NHL Rosters still

Top Bottom