• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nick Diaz v Anderson Silva, who ya got GAF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
As an MMA fan whose interest has waned the last few years I'm kind of hyped for this fight. Both coming off big layoffs. Anderson coming off 2 L's and a bad injury. Nick Diaz coming off 2 L's and a 2 year hiatus.

Who you going with?

Here's the rest of the card: (thanks pimpwerx)

Main Card (PPV) 7pm PT/ 10pm ET/ 3am UK

Middleweight (five rounds)
Anderson Silva (33-6) vs Nick Diaz (27-9-1)

Welterweight
Tyron Woodley (14-3) vs Kelvin Gastelum (11-0)

Lightweight
Joe Lauzon (24-10) vs Al Iaquinta (10-3-1)

Middleweight
Thales Leites (24-4) vs Tim Boetsch (18-7)

Welterweight
Jordan Mein (29-9) vs Thiago Alves (25-9)

Preliminary Bouts (Fox Sports 1) 5pm PT/ 8pm ET/ 1am UK

Woman’s Bantamweight
Sara McMann (8-1) vs Miesha Tate (15-5)

Middleweight
Ed Herman (23-10, 1 NC) vs Derek Brunson (12-3)

Flyweight
Ian McCall (13-4-1) vs John Lineker (24-7)

Middleweight
Rafael Natal (18-6-1) vs Tom Watson (17-7)

Early Prelims (UFC Fight Pass) 3:30pm PT/ 6:30pm ET/ 11:30pm UK

Featherweight
Diego Brandao (22-10) vs Jimy Hettes (11-2)

Middleweight
Richardson Moreira (7-3) vs Ildemar Alcantara (20-7)

Middleweight
Thiago Santos (9-3) vs Andy Enz (8-2)

If Silva still has anything left he will style Diaz. Diaz ain't got nothing for Silva and he sounds like a soft bish now too

Remember, last person that Diaz beat was zombie Penn.

DKehoe

Silva is much bigger and matches up great with Nick's striking style (boxer who comes forward and doesn't throw that fast). Anderson's striking game is much more varied than Nick's so I think he will pick him apart with counterstrikes and I don't see Nick being able to take Anderson down. So I'll pick Anderson, unless he totally is done.

Looking forward to it though. Both guys are totally fascinating to me.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Silva is much bigger and matches up great with Nick's striking style (boxer who comes forward and doesn't throw that fast). Anderson's striking game is much more varied than Nick's so I think he will pick him apart with counterstrikes and I don't see Nick being able to take Anderson down. So I'll pick Anderson, unless he totally is done.

Honestly I always hated that Nick Diaz underwater slowmo boxing style, but it's been effective in MMA for him. Like you said SIlva totally outclasses him, but is he confident enough to slam his shin against Diaz? IDK, but I will definitely be cringing every time he does it.

Rur0ni

And that's basically it. I'm not terribly excited, seems like a real mismatch. Silva fights guys juicing at 205. Now fighting a guy who doesn't even have to cut for 185 with a style that plays right into him? :\

BearPawB

Banned
I will root for a Diaz with my last dying breath.

How much metal is in Andersons leg? i feel like i wouldn't want to kick it/be kicked by it

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
A friend and I previewed this fight in EA Sports UFC. Initially I was sceptical of Diaz's chances but now I'm not so sure. Old man Silva's legs have nothing for GLORY Diaz's checks and outside leg kicks. Judging by the outcome of the game, he'll get frustrated, clown and end up getting punished along the cage before Diaz finishes him with several consecutive knees to the face from the Thai clinch.

Pimpwerx

War Diaz. Not sure I'll get a chance to watch the fight live tonight, but I wanted to put some money on it.

For the op, I copied this from sherdog:

Main Card (PPV) 7pm PT/ 10pm ET/ 3am UK

Middleweight (five rounds)
Anderson Silva (33-6) vs Nick Diaz (27-9-1)

Welterweight
Tyron Woodley (14-3) vs Kelvin Gastelum (11-0)

Lightweight
Joe Lauzon (24-10) vs Al Iaquinta (10-3-1)

Middleweight
Thales Leites (24-4) vs Tim Boetsch (18-7)

Welterweight
Jordan Mein (29-9) vs Thiago Alves (25-9)

Preliminary Bouts (Fox Sports 1) 5pm PT/ 8pm ET/ 1am UK

Woman’s Bantamweight
Sara McMann (8-1) vs Miesha Tate (15-5)

Middleweight
Ed Herman (23-10, 1 NC) vs Derek Brunson (12-3)

Flyweight
Ian McCall (13-4-1) vs John Lineker (24-7)

Middleweight
Rafael Natal (18-6-1) vs Tom Watson (17-7)

Early Prelims (UFC Fight Pass) 3:30pm PT/ 6:30pm ET/ 11:30pm UK

Featherweight
Diego Brandao (22-10) vs Jimy Hettes (11-2)

Middleweight
Richardson Moreira (7-3) vs Ildemar Alcantara (20-7)

Middleweight
Thiago Santos (9-3) vs Andy Enz (8-2)

Yaari

Andy. Weight advantage in his favor and the Diaz Bros are pretty easy opponents as long as you remain mobile.

That said, it's a tough injury to come back from especially at that age, so we don't know who shows up at all.

Norml

Diaz!
8QuuE7M.jpg

thefro

Anderson to KO Diaz with a counter as Diaz is moving toward Anderson and Anderson is stepping back.

Silva actually only has a 1.5 inch reach advantage over Diaz.

If Diaz doesn't get KOed in the first couple rounds this could get interesting.

SaviorX

Seems like a fight rigged for Silva to wipe the floor with someone, and I don't even bump UFC!

Maybe I'll watch this somewhere

Jarnet87

Diaz. Ando is done. in before i eat da crow. I'm not a Diaz fan, but its largely because I hate his fake tough brother. never seen nick fight.

I hope to see some great grappling in this one! I think it depends on how much Silva has recovered. If he is a shadow of his former self, then Diaz got a shot! If not, I would bet 90% of my stuff on Silva!

Sean

Banned
Would love for Silva to straight up clown Diaz and then KO him, but I think it'll be more competitive than people are predicting.

I bet both fighters are gonna be nervous/unconfident/hesitant and it'll go to decision.

Jarnet87

You know Nate is considered the reasonable Diaz brother right?

nah nick is more reasonable. he pretended to want a title shot against saint georges but then ducked out by not showing up. No one can withstand 25 minutes of being layed on top of.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
If you created a fighting style for Anderson Silva to destroy, it would be Nick Diaz's. Father Time is still undefeated, though.

Loomba

Recently watched the Diaz/Penn fight again and man, was it entertaining. When Diaz has an opponent who will actually fight him it's usually a good experience. Don't really mind who wins or loses tbh just hope it's a good fight.

DKehoe

this is fucking gold, I'd heard it before but the animated version is better haha
There are so many amazing moments in it.

Nick: "What do you want me to do?"
Frank Trigg "Shut the door"
Nick: "Oh yeh, shut the door, right on. But you know I ain't no bitch."

Pimpwerx

There are so many amazing moments in it.

Nick: "What do you want me to do?"
Frank Trigg "Shut the door"
Nick: "Oh yeh, shut the door, right on. But you know I ain't no bitch."
That part cracked me up the most. LOL. Nick is crazy. PEACE.

Prototype

Silva is going to turn Diaz into a highlight reel and it's going to usher in his triumphant return as the best there was, there best there is, and the best there ever will be.

Next

That part cracked me up the most. LOL. Nick is crazy. PEACE.

Also the part about how he should have hopped through the door to go outside instead of the little office killed me. He may not have it in the cage, but his ring awareness in real fights is sharp as fuck lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom