• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nick Robinson (Polygon) involved in sexual harassment allegations [Suspended]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Polygon was a motherfuckin mistake

I wouldn't blame anybody at Polygon until we get a statement from them other than Nick. Kessler had been a friend of Nick's for years and he had no idea what was going on. Just, don't blame an entire site because you don't like it when as far as we know the responsibility's all on Nick for doing some heinous stuff right now.

As it stand I'm not going to support anything involving the guy even though I used to enjoy his content.

Mechazawa

There are way too industry peoples talking about it. Didn't even know about the hbomber tweet.

It's becoming clear this dude is a real shithead.

I didnt understand that phrase

If he wasnt in every women DMs.. what does the mean!? Im not from a english native country.

It means that, according to various people who experienced this, he would go to twitter private messages to make unwanted sexual advances to various women working in the industry.

Ivan 3414

I didnt understand that phrase

If he wasnt in every women DMs.. what does the mean!? Im not from a english native country.

DM = direct message. Basically the Twitter equivalent to a PM on GAF.

"In the DMs" = basically direct messaging(DMing) someone. Phrase is used generally when someone is sending a message of a romantic or sexual nature.

I still think we need more evidence than a couple of vague tweets before we all dog pile on the guy.

The vague tweets are from people that are generally pretty credible. The ones in the OP aren't all of them.

I saw someone implying they had an experience with Nick eight years ago.

shaneo632

I feel bad for Actual Journalist Nick Robinson probably wondering why the fuck his name's picking up all kinda traffic.

EDIT: And also that creepy kid from Jurassic World.

Sorry to the women that this involves, and even more sorry we haven't created an environment in which they feel they can speak up.

Wow if true this is disgusting. It's a shame when people you think are cool turn out to be really fucking shitty. Seems to happening a lot on the internet as of late.

I don't really know who this guy is (just to be clear that I'm not opposed to believing any of the accusations against him), but I'm still not entirely clear on what he's being accused of.

BTA

I'd seen vaguer things for a while and shittily just kept it in the back of my mind. As part of this happening last night I've seen some locked people I follow and explicitly trust say what he did to them, so to anyone writing this off as too vague or fake or whatever: it's true.

I've even been binging Podburglars lately and so it sincerely means a lot to see Matt, someone who's clearly close to him, step up and say this.

I still think we need more evidence than a couple of vague tweets before we all dog pile on the guy.

Someone tweeted then later deleted that they'd seen him creep on an underage friend of theirs while knowing they were underage. There's too many people coming out with stuff to think there's nothing there

It's crazy that a shitty tweet about Overcooked kicks something like this off. You never know when you are going to get your card pulled, creeps.

Zubz

Banned
Oh no, this breaks my heart because i'm a huge fan of his content. I'll read into all of this, it's gonna take me some time to process. Thank you for making me aware.

Definitely. This is like finding out JonTron was a Neo-Nazi, without the suspect comments leading up to it & the "this person is absolutely an obnoxious asshole in real life" vibe he's always had. It feels out of left-field to me, but the story seems well-corroborated. If this is true (Which it really is looking like it), I'm absolutely going to hold him accountable, & hope other fans of his content do, too.

At this point, I'm just waiting for a shoe to drop with Dunkey. He hangs out with GG'ers (Including JonTron), is also an open asshole, & used slurs for shock value, so I'm surprised nothing's come up. Part of me's feeling the only "clean" figure in the games media industry I like is Jim "Fucking" Sterling "Son." Well, the Continue & Retsupurae guys are all right. I doubt they're terrible. Maybe the Grumps, but I stopped watching awhile back.

ajjow

"In someone's DMs" means that you were private messaging them.

On twitter, you are usually only able to DM someone if they follow you and you also follow them. The implication of the phrase is that someone is using their status/renown to privately get to know people, often a lot of different people at once and in a sexual context.

That was definitely one of the big red flags that really gave me this creepy vibe surrounding him. That and all the weird diaper shit.

Thanks! Well, if true, thats gross. Many gaming journalists are pretty gross and people react like its just a joke or normal. The case of that youtuber pewdiepie is a good example. You dont see people taking it easy with critics when you are talking about movies or music.

In the games industry, its terrible.

But there's still plenty of evidence to give him a side-eye and plenty of people in the industry who aren't dogged by accusations of sexually harassing women worth following.

Given what I know about the people making these statements, I'd trust them before I'd trust Nick here.

Tweets are all from reputable people in the industry and they are vague and accounts turned private to protect their friends and their job. Nick's got a huge following and lots of followers. And you can bet a lot of overzealous followers would start harassing these people. It's a shitty world where we can't take a victim's words at face value, but the videogame industry and its fans are fucking rough on women.

jackal27

Banned
This is super sketchy and really disappointing. I've interacted with the guy online for nearly 10 years now and never had an issue with him, but if this is true then I am out.

More folks need to come forward if they have stories to share and he needs to come clean about this stuff if it's true. Own your mess and do something to change it. Very disappointed today.

psyfi

Banned
Aw man, that's dissapointing. I hope Nick is able to be accountable to this, it'll take years for him to proce his sincerity and repair his reputation, but I hope he tries. I think he's a good person, but he really needs to do whatever mental/enotional/gender work it takes to stop being predatory.

Mael

In retrospect, the Frem Frequency reaction and other industry women's to Nick's tweet about Krystal makes SO much more sense.

This is a damn shame. There might not be criminal activity here, but Nick's behavior benefits from exploiting the murkiness of the lines between networking, friendship and sexual harassment.

Can some kind soul be kind enough to fill in the blanks here?

Banned
A lot of my followers RT and like his posts so he shows up on my feed. I know he's popular but I'm not familiar with him that much.

Pretty shitty if true.

TwistedSyn

Wow...Never thought I'd see Nick act like this. I am not really a fan of Polygon but, I still watched Nick's videos. Loved all the content he produced on Sonic Mania. Breaks me to see him do this. You'd think he would be a lot smarter than this. Guess not.

Mattenth

I somewhat agree. I'm still waiting for someone to make a specific allegation like "On X day, Nick did Y and it was inappropriate."

However, the sheer number of accusations from unrelated and unaffiliated people is highly suspicious... It sure seems like he's a sleezy jerk in a position of power.

What evidence do you want? It sounds like you want the women who he harassing to post their logs of him harassing them? The whole reason this is anonymous as it is, is because of the systematic targeting of female victims on the net. Notice everybody referring to the situation are talking on behalf of their friends.

taizuke

Man i don't know what to think.

I watched him for a long time when Adam Sessler joined Rev3 games and he came off as very smart level headed nice guy. Wouldn't have thought in million years that I'd hear this kind of accusations against him.

Marcel

If it's true then I feel bad for those who got creeped on. But on the other hand vague tweets, deleted tweets, clapbacks and gossip are not actually evidence of anything.

Jakoo

Yikes. I am not aware of this guys content but if the allegations are true, Polygon could and should out the guy given the inclusive nature of the site.

I suppose it's somewhat healthy sign for the industry if it's policing out it's bad seeds before they have to opportunity to become monolithic personalities. I'd never really heard of this guy, but it's good this is coming to light before he reached a level of influence that made him more untouchable.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
There seemed to be a shift in my timeline's perception of him over the past few months, and this sort of puts that into perspective. Several of those were people who are speaking out now about his behavior. This has been bubbling under the surface for quite some time, but now the Milkshake Duck is out of its cage.

Thoughts and love out to everyone who felt trapped by him and his actions.

Can some kind soul be kind enough to fill in the blanks here?

Nick tweeted that he'd jack off to Krystal. Multiple people in the industry said they felt creeped out by it while heavily implying there was history of creepiness. Outside observers decided those people were overreacting thinking it was just about that one tweet

BTA

to be fair that guy sucks too

The really Fun thing about this is there's rumors that dude cheated on his wife going around right now too.

So going by Twitter now there's 1. people who thought the wife cheating thing was also this Nick, and accidentally brought it into the conversation and 2. people who think the entire thing was just the journalist cheating getting confused for this Nick, when that's absolutely not the case.

Imagine if the Switch port of Overcooked wasn't broken, we wouldn't even be aware of this story.

Difference is that the port will be fixed, while this probably wont be, unfortunately.

I am glad it's out in the air though all because of something like that. Which is extremely odd, but whatever works.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
It's crazy that a shitty tweet about Overcooked kicks something like this off. You never know when you are going to get your card pulled, creeps.
It's so weird.
I once sent a shitty drunk SMS to an ex and had anxiety attacks because of what might happen if she made that public (and it wasn't even something that horrible, just mean drunk talk) and here is a guy silencing multiple women just because he is....a video editor on Polygon?
Dude must have been confident as fuck rust nobody would talk. Like, did he really think none of this would ever come out?
What the duck.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
You can be level headed, good at your job, charming and still be an asshole to women on your private time.

Disappointing if true, my best wishes to all affected and I hope we get to the bottom of this.

Catvoca

Banned
Well, the Continue & Retsupurae guys are all right. I doubt they're terrible. Maybe the Grumps, but I stopped watching awhile back.

The Retsupurae guys are incredible since they grew out of a kinda shitty brand of comedy (which I loved at the time but looking back it can be pretty mean!), yet have evolved and proved time and time again they are stand up dudes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom